Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Krillen wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

The old thread was bad

It was actually really good, aside from the last page, which doesn't taint the rest of the thread.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Speaking as someone who didn't see Dragonball until their late 20's, I feel like the previous assessment of nostalgia are way off. I feel it's more because the movies often followed the same pattern as the show and were named after common vegetables and fruit, making them super easy to remember, that and they were as bad as bad goes without actually being completely unlikeable in their own evil way.

Meanwhile, Naruto villain #23 is sack of philosophy whom is human, evil, with a hard to remember name and stupid gimmicks that are tough to remember or to "play" with.

It's all about establishing a connection with the audience.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Petiso posted:

Welp, there he goes :smith:

I hope he recovers, but I am also kinda glad they are passing the role over to someone new.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

mmkay posted:

Yeah, he learned sensing regular Ki on his own after only hearing it was possible, in what - a couple of days at most?

While nearly unconscious, mortally wounded in a spacepod.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

Speaking of being able to pick up on things easily, in reading DB for the first time, I'm at one of the tournaments and everyone is just whipping out Kamehamehas like they're nothing. Even Tien gives it a whirl. Roshi is freaking out when he thinks Goku is going to try to block at Dodon Ray with a Kamehameha, and he's saying the Kamehameha will never work against certain people.. Did they just give up on that angle as time went on and make the Kamehameha the end-all-be-all of super attacks?

The kamehameha they use later is not the same kamehameha as that one. It also had more to do with with the circumstances for why it wouldn't have been an effective attack. When Goku invents the Super Kamehameha to use against Piccolo, the format changed quite a bit. It didn't even drain him of his strength like most other kamehamehas were known to do.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The cool thing about the Special Beam Cannon is that it looks like a corck-screw, so you can assign it video-game like properties in your head when you see it used, like it was made to penetrate really tough barriers and it inspired railguns.

Pureauthor posted:

The attack that takes like a minute to charge up properly?

It wasn't a completely finished attack, there was a reason he hadn't gone and found Goku and challenged him to a rematch. He was using an unfinished technique as a last resort.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Would have been impressive if it was made in 1995.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

Fusion isn't sexual you sadbrain

:allears: Good to see that is where your brain goes to first.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Aurora posted:

I mean it's the only reason it would be grody

Fusion of two bodies and it being father and son is kinda groady without being sexual, from a certain perspective.

Whatever, not worth discussing further.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It doesn't make Goku's fight meaningless, because it sets up how loving strong Gohan must be when he could have done everything Goku could have done.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

It's okay Namtab, the rest of us like you.

Except that one person. You know who I'm talking about.

It's me, batman.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
no thread will be like the last thread.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

And the movie ends on a high note with Vegeta and Piccolo fishing on a iceburg.

Fishing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8soInnWds4

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

I was talking about the shot of muffled dialog from an older episode from outside a mountain.

Uh... No.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
We don't actually know where Saitama's strength comes from, but it is one of those things that will be incredibly unsatisfying to actually know and would actually go better if unanswered forever.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Parrotine posted:

He did answer it though? 100 push-ups/sit-ups/etc + 10 km run for 3 years

That is all he did, but even Genos says later that master doesn't know the source of his own powers. Just that one day he woke up bald and he had become strong.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That is why I don't think it ought to be given a real reason.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Parrotine posted:

I think you are reading into it too much.

OPM is set in a universe where, for example, you can turn into a giant crab monster just from eating too much crab. There isn't more to the logic than that, it's just how things are.

My reading into it is that explaining it would kill the joke. That's it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

sharktamer posted:

The Goku in DBZA is pretty much never funny.

That's because he's accurate to what Goku is. Which is sort of not really funny. It's a hard character to make funny.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

sharktamer posted:

Oh but Gohan is actually never funny.

And his voice sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6pEkqBSYac&t=11s

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Elfgames posted:

Goku doesn't require much money for food he fishes giant fish and hunts dinosaur and has his little vegetable farm for crops. at most they need to buy like rice and seasonings.

Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

Like schooling. Or property.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Baal posted:

This is not important in the world of Dee Bee Zee

You are right. That is why we're discussing this in Dee Bee Ess. Cause it matters in DBSuper-with-no-Z-in-it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Fite me

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

This. They had to compromise on the wishes to keep the power to bring everyone back at once. Toriyama would later forget this compromise when the namekian dragon gets to bring everyone back and have three wishes

Namekian elder said they upgraded the dragon balls in the Buu saga to have three wishes.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Saitama.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Of course the guy getting salty about his OC getting owned was the furry. And he chalks it up to discrimination.

That is some funny as gently caress meltdown, even if you've read it a million times already.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

Goku is cool, but is he really as cool as Cool Trunks or Piccolo? Let's be real, people.

Mirai Trunks, thank you very much.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They have, it's called every single DBZ game.

I decided to not press the button to switch characters in the fight against Evil Buu, it was everything I wanted.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Darko posted:

It's weird that although Super is a retread, I have no idea what is going to happen at this point because everything is so different.

I really like it, makes it feel like an "what if" story and gives us some more room to explore characters that aren't Goku.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Where the gently caress is Android 18 though?

Sniffing Krillin's hair, because it causes Androids to malfunction.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

sharktamer posted:

Surely mystic gohan is still stronger?

No, this Gohan is not a gently caress-up.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The cape is loving badass and I will never take anyone saying differently very seriously.

It's stupid in video games because it can't behave properly with physics, but that is neither here nor there.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Farecoal posted:

I'm playing Budokai Tenkaichi 3 for the first time and christ is it a lot more complicated and difficult than I expected

It's easier with a Wiimote.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

on the other hand the average toei writer has an IQ of 50.

It's not that they are stupid, it's that noone on their team can agree on anything unless handed down to them. They all have their own idea of what cool is.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Ruggington posted:

Yeah they're ripping off a loving webcomic that I'm sure they're all aware of

They are aware of it though. :v:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Everybody in this thread loves Goku, but it doesn't change the fact that he is a bad dad. That won't ever change, because he's pretty objectively bad at it.

But it's alright, because children are bad.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

i cant believe i'm agreeing with wickedhate...

Maybe it is a sign that you are in the wrong on this one. Or that a broken clock can be right twice a day, whichever you find more likely and comfortable to accept.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm ok with just waiting on super and reading the cliff notes version that is the manga

also I beat xenoverse and, while I liked it, I'm not sure I could call it good. I think there's a much better game in there somewhere and am hopeful for xenoverse 2. they should cut down the random bullshit a little. I don't see why the masters need to randomly appear, for starters

That is something everybody agrees with, yeah. Personally I still think Budokai Tenkaichi 3 on Wii was a better game, but Xenoverse does get a gold star for being a PC Dragon ball game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Goku was dead for literally all of Goten's childhood. Chi-Chi apparently was willing to train him in martial arts unlike Gohan who she tried to keep studious.

I don't think they ever explained it but I guess when your husband is murdered by an evil bug monster and your son almost dies to it you decide that knowing how to defend yourself is a lot more important.

Super seems to imply that Chi-chi's whole attitude is sort of how she and Goku get off and she doesn't seem to mind fighting as long as he isn't around to see it. I guess you develop certain behaviors when your husband is super-fighting happy.

• Locked thread