Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Latest Update - Update 9: The Flowering

Table of Contents
Update 1: Brave New Galaxy
Update 2: The Myth Discovered
Update 3: The Quest for Eden
Update 4: Tense Borders
Update 5: The Wandering Warlords
Update 6: Neighborhood Watch
Update 7: Disharmony
Update 8: The Seeding
Update 9: The Flowering

What is Endless Space?

Endless Space is a science fiction turn-based 4X game developed by Amplitude Studios, who also made Dungeon of the Endless and Endless Legend. The three Endless games have an interconnected lore, and in this title, we take control of a faction and build up our empire in the usual strategy game fashion. Win conditions range from the traditional "kill them all" to building wonders showing how awesome our civilization is.

The backstory of the game is that an ancient civilization called the Endless invented Dust, an infrastructure of nanobots and nano-computers that could self-replicate and self-assemble, and "talk" to the rest of the network. The Endless themselves relied on this so much it became symbiotic to their civilization, and Dust was able to keep one effectively immortal by uploading one's consciousness to a "cloud" of Dust that could replicate one's body. The Endless eventually fractured into the "Concretes" and the "Virtuals", two factions that saw immortality in a different light, and eventually brought about their own downfall through the Dust Wars. The Endless and their empire may be gone, but Dust remains, and the factions that have risen are ready to exploit it...

What kind of 4X is this, then?

The game mechanics are based off FIDS, or Food, Industry, Dust, Science. This combined number tells you how powerful an empire is by how much food, production, money (Dust is used as money), and research they produce each turn. There are many ways to improve your FIDS, like getting the right resources or building the proper improvements.

We also hire Heroes to give our star systems bonuses through their administrative acumen, or lead our glorious fleets of spaceships into battles full of lasers. Combat in the game is mostly out of our hands, as we set strategies ahead of time by playing "battle cards" to take advantage of our fleet composition against the enemy's, and numbers are rolled behind the camera. We can research bigger and better weapons, design our ships to make them really good at certain points in a battle, and even train up our admiral Heroes to use some seriously powerful combat abilities.

How are you LPing the game?

I'll be playing on Normal difficulty and speed with all seven victory conditions enabled in a huge galaxy with eight factions. I'll allow as much audience participation as possible, and give people the choice to vote on what courses of action to take.

What are the playable factions of this game?

Click on the picture of a faction leader for a link to their faction introduction video.

The United Empire is the military-industral complex in space fascist form. Their sole concern is production and money, but they build their ships drat tough. They also obtain industry bonuses if their tax rate is higher, and rush-build a lot of stuff thanks to their massive Dust generation.

The Sophons are a technology-oriented civilization with plenty of science generation both naturally and if their tax rates are low. They are wimpy on defense when getting invaded, but when their science generation lets them get the big guns before anyone else, who's gonna have the last laugh?

The Hissho are space samurai birdmen who kick absolute rear end in a fight. The best part is that the more they fight and win, the stronger they get thanks to their special talent, Bushido. They take a hit to their science generation, but their Heroes and spaceships wipe the floor with anyone else. Oh, and if you take a star system from them, they get really, really pissed off and fight even harder.

The Amoeba are a peace-loving race of blob people with an affinity to explore and make friends. They start the game with the entire map revealed, and the more friends and allies they have, the better they get in trade and even combat. Ships without guns are also faster for the Amoeba to build.

The Automatons are a race of clockwork given sentience by Dust. They can cram a lot of themselves into each star system, benefit from making friends, have sturdy ships, and can hold their own when invaded. They also generate extra industry and produce "interest" on it, making them super awesome at building infrastructure.

The Sheredyn are a military breakaway caste within the United Empire whose HOO-AH SPACE MARINES prevent opponents from retreating in a fight. They get the same sturdy ships as the United Empire but can rush-build for cheaper. Because they see themselves as professionals, they hate breaking deals and get less happiness bonuses from luxuries, but aren't above "appropriating" Dust from enemy star systems their Hero-led fleets orbit.

The Cravers are the Zerg/Tyranid/Reaper/insert-bugmen-race-here of Endless Space. They consume planets and get an early FIDS bonus for settling a new place, but then get a FIDS penalty after munching their planets up. Thankfully their ships are easy to build and mass into fleets, and each time they kill an enemy ship they get a science bonus. There is a small downside, though: they are always at war with everyone else. Always. Feeling hungry?

The Horatio are a race of clones of a man called Horatio, who had a Narcissus complex so big that it'd make Narcissus himself blush. Horatio's mission is to fill the stars with beauty, i.e. himself. The Horatio can clone Heroes and stuff their star systems full of Horatios quickly, but their aesthetic sense means that their ships cost more to build.

The Sowers are on a mission to make planets livable and habitable for the return of the Endless, and these gardening robots don't care for the concept of "other life". They may not be the best researchers around but the Sowers can colonize any planet (with a FIDS penalty until the appropriate tech is researched) and build stuff quickly. Because of this, they can colonize the best planets and systems before anyone else.

The Pilgrims are another United Empire breakaway faction, but this time of "good" scientists and researchers who look to the Endless as a religion. Their ships have some wasted space issues, but they can get Amoeba-like bonuses from friends, can run a blockade to get trades going, and their special trait allows them to evacuate an entire system and relocate to a better one keeping every single improvement and almost its entire population.

The Harmony are a strange faction in that they actually play a wildly different game than the others. They don't use Dust and have no happiness modifiers, but having "impure" Dust-filled systems actually harms their FIDS (minus the D). These rockmen have to clean away the Dust. They can see special strategic resources without having to research the associated technologies and aren't easily invaded.

The Vaulters are Endless tech fetishists who came from Auriga, a planet that's the setting of the Endless Legend and Dungeon of the Endless games. They are actually a faction in the game Endless Legend, too, as the lore between the three Endless games is connected. In Endless Space, they can build warp drives to teleport fleets between systems and have some solid science production, though their food production is lower. Finally, their leader is the lady that talks about the factions in their introduction videos.

So, who shall we play? Cast your vote, and we'll see soon enough whether we can master Dust and the ancient technology of the Endless!

Thread Fan Stuff

Gridlocked posted:

Space Man yells at Space Rocks
Gridlocked's PR campaign against the Harmony.

Brunom1 pulls a 180 on his defense of peace with the Harmony.

NullBlack posted:

In ages long past, in some Endless lab somewhere...

NullBlack synthesizes the discussion about Endless irresponsibility in making sentient races.

Kurieg makes a correction regarding Endless irresponsibility. Why make one sentient being when you can make dozens?

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Hissho Bird swarm is go.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Horatio

The best race. Make the galaxy beautiful.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Hissho

The last (abandoned) LP used Horatio. We need something different.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

While tempting, the true fate of the Universe is to become a testament to Horatio

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Hissho, easily.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There really isn't any other choice. Horatio it is.

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013
The universe needs to be more beautiful. Horatio.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Veloxyll posted:

While tempting, the true fate of the Universe is to become a testament to Horatio

Horatio here as well

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
My brother LOVES this game and Endless Legend. I enjoy Dungeons of the Endless.

Please talk about how all 3 of these games tie into each other because its amazing the way they have a coherent story and shared universe between a space empire sim, a Civ style hex game with "fantasy" elements and a dungeon crawler/tower defense rogue like.

Edit: As a result PLEASE do The Vaulters. Thought AFIK their appearance in this is what the furthest along in the time line

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 15, 2015

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Nothing and no-one is more beautiful than the Horatio.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I like the Vaulters :shobon:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Let's make things amazingly obscure from the start, go with the Harmony.

OK, as a matter of interest; was I the only person who when they first started playing this game found it amazingly unintuitive, especially when it came to understanding what each research tech actually did? I was stuck in my spiral arms for ages before I realised that the wiggly lines were wormholes, and from that was able to direct research accordingly.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
I like the cut of the automatons' jib!

Changing my vote to one for the vaulters!

Eumenides fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 16, 2015

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Throwing in a vote for the Automatons.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I've heard about a faction that doesn't use food and instead consumes dust in its place. Is it in Endless Legend?

Amoebas, let's make friends.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I played the Harmony once and never turned back.

Alius
May 7, 2008
Soiled Meat
A universe of Horatio is a universe of happiness.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Automatons for maximum efficiency.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Yeah, Horatio's been done. I wanna see the Cravers , since they're terrifying mid-to-late game.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Cravers. Devour everything.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Harmony because trying to play the game without dust sounds like an interesting challenge.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Go for the Vaulters!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Vaulters!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Horatio is the most beautiful. Shape the Galaxy in their name.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
Prepare for the future with Vault-Tec!

Ptolo
Oct 31, 2011
Vaulters!

Didn't know they were added to the game, do they share the ship designs of the United Empire?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Vaulters seem cool!

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Vaulters!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The universe is incomplete until everyone is Horatio.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Alius posted:

A universe of Horatio is a universe of happiness.

An empty quote vote for Horatio is the most appropriate empty quote vote.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Vaulters

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

IAmTheRad posted:

The last (abandoned) LP used Horatio. We need something different.

all this means is that someone has to finish the great work of filling the universe with the beauty of Horatio

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Ptolo posted:

Didn't know they were added to the game, do they share the ship designs of the United Empire?
The Vaulters were added to the game when the Founder/Crystal edition of Dungeon of the Endless came out, and were playable to everyone else as of January this year. Their ship designs have the "core" of the United Empire ships, but with fewer spikes and jutting points.

As of this post, the vote count stands as such:

Horatio: 11
Vaulters: 9
Hissho: 3
Harmony: 3
Automatons: 3
Cravers: 2
Amoeba: 1

It's basically neck-and-neck between Horatio and the Vaulters! I plan on starting the first update of the game on Thursday night or Friday morning, so there's still time for Horatio to dominate, the Vaulters to catch up, or some dark horse faction to curry favor. :)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
EDIT: poo poo, I already voted. Disregard this post.

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!
Vaulters!

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
Vaulters

My favorite Endless Legend faction, didn't realize they'd been added to Endless Space.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:
Vaulters because I too want to force you to play endless legend after this LP.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Harmony since I want to see if they ever got around to making them not-awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

One more for the Vaulters, as I haven't played since they were added!

• Locked thread