Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edrith
Apr 10, 2013

In 2002, Bioware and Wizards of the coast released Neverwinter Nights to general critical acclaim. Its lush soundtrack and grand scope made it an instant favorite and spawned a sequel, Neverwinter Nights 2, in 2006 (check out Lt. Danger’s excellent LP for that, if you haven’t). I got my hands on the original when I was but a wee child and it’s been a nostalgic gem ever since. Many hours did I waste building lovely modules with the Aurora engine.

In hindsight, the original Neverwinter Nights campaign is kind of a boring slogfest, which is probably why no one has finished an LP of it. (Plus the plot is hilariously stupid, torn out of a David Icke fever dream - the villains are evil time-traveling lizard supremacists bent on taking over the world). Three acts of fetchquests, no companion interaction, and little room for actual roleplay. It’s also staggeringly easy. I have done multiple glass cannon playthroughs where I not once needed to take advantage of the ridiculously forgiving respawn system. If you’ve built your character right, there comes a point midway through Act 2 where you can queue a few actions, click on the bossman, get up to pee, and come back to find yourself victorious and unharmed. It’s a good Baby’s First game, but you really needed to be on multiplayer or crashing your way through one of the many, many fan modules to get a challenge.

Bioware eventually released two full expansion packs, Shadows of Undrentide in 2003 and Hordes of the Underdark a few months later. (A few premium modules came later). With them came new prestige classes, new skills, and several upgrades to gameplay. They’re shorter and tighter and take you to places other than the generic Medieval Europe With Dragons setting that is the Sword Coast. Respawning is more difficult or, occasionally, impossible. Your decisions sometimes have consequences. The linked stories aren’t exactly great, but at least there are no time-traveling lizard people.

(okay there is at least one dimension-hopping lizard but there’s no time travel)

Shadows and Hordes are, in my opinion, a hell of a lot more fun than the OC.

So let’s play them instead!

Prelude: Making the Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Prelude: Making the Man

Shadows of Undrentide isn’t a sequel to the original campaign so much as it is a companion piece. There are hints that the game takes place during or possibly shortly after the events of the Neverwinter Nights OC, but there’s little to no overlap in plot. Brand new territory, baby, so we’ll need a brand new character.

Neverwinter Nights runs on a modified version of 3rd edition D&D. The possibilities for character builds are nearly endless (though we’ll have to wait til NWN2 for the half-drow wizard/eldritch knight with Monkey Grip dual-wielding scythes).

Our options:

Human: Vanilla. Four extra skill points at character creation, one extra feat at first level, one additional skill point at each level.

Dwarf: Squat surly tanks. +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma. +2 Search in subterranean areas, Darkvision, +2 bonus on saving throws against poisons, +2 bonus on saving throws against spells, +1 bonus on attack rolls against orcs and goblinoids, +4 dodge bonus to armor class against giants, +2 to Lore. Favored class (meaning no experience penalties when multiclassing): fighter

Elf: Epitomes of grace, beauty, and arrogance. +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution. Immune to sleep, +2 bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting spells, +2 to listen, Search, and Spot, automatic search checks, low-light vision, free proficiency in Longsword, Rapier, Shortbow, and Longbow. Favored class: wizard

Halfling: Hobbits. +2 to move silently and listen checks, +! to all saving throws, +2 bonus against fear spells/effects, +1 to attack rolls made with throwing weapons, +1 to attack rolls, +1 to AC, +4 to stealth/detection checks, no tower shields, no large weapons. Favored class: rogue

Gnome: The irritating sibling of halflings. +2 Constitution, -2 Strength. +2 saving throws against mid-affecting spells, +1 bonus on attack rolls against reptilians and goblinoids, +4 dodge bonus to armor class against giants, +2 to Listen and Concentration, free spell focus (illusion) feat, low-light vision, +1 to attack rolls, +1 to AC, +4 to stealth/detection checks, no tower shields, no large weapons. Favored class: wizard

Half-orc: Big dumb bruisers. +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma, Darkvision. Favored class: Barbarian

Half-elf: If you mix a human and an elf and then take out most of the useful parts. Immune to Sleep, +2 against mind-affecting spells, +1 to Listen, Search, and Spot, Low-light vision.

Picked your race yet? Good, now on to class. NWN has eleven core classes. I’ve beaten the game playing variations of each. Shadows of Undrentide has some neat little bonus items and mini-quests depending on class.

Barbarian: Unstoppable wild berserkers, at least until the rage wears off and you’re stumbling around with -2 to AC.

Bard: Arcane spellcasters. Jack of all trades, master of none. Buffing (and bluffing) machines.

Cleric: Divine spellcasters and the most overpowered class in the game, though you don’t often think that when you’re faced with two skillpoints per level.

Druid: Divine spellcasters focused on nature. With barbarians and rangers, they form the hippie triad of D&D classes. Comes with a familiar! Must be on the neutral spectrum.

Fighter: They fight. Very useful at low levels.

Monk: They also fight. If you get them to level 20 they basically turn immortal, but before that they can be hell to play.

Paladin: They fight for Charlemagne their god and the causes of good. Think a low-level cleric mixed with a fighter. Must be lawful good.

Ranger: Dangerous folk they are, wandering the wilds. Fighters crossed with low-level druids.

Rogue: Your basic backstabber, lockpicker, trapspringer, et cetera. Do not use against undead or constructs.

Sorcerer: Arcane spellcasters, sacrificing number of spells known for increased number of spells per day. Comes with a familiar!

Wizard: Arcane spellcasters. Hard to deal with at lower levels, but once they learn Fireball they’re pretty unstoppable. Comes with a familiar!

(Not listed: prestige classes. Shadows of Undrentide added five prestige classes, Hordes of the Underdark added six more. We’ll get to them later.)

Throw me your most worthless beloved game-ready character. We'll keep them throughout both Shadows and Hordes. Most entertaining description wins. And then we can venture into the shadows…the Shadows of Undrentide.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
I put before you two offerings.

1) Urgath, the All-Powerful (CG Human "Sorcerer")

Urgath was born to among the barbarian tribes of the Uthgardt, but was orphaned as a child of three before being adopted by a traveling gnomish circus troupe. He had lived among the barbarians long enough to learn the power of brute strength, but not long enough to understand the training and physical effort that went into it. So, when he saw the gnomish illusionist and wizards at play, he imagined that his tribe had fought and won as the gnomes play-acted to. The gnomes did real magic for him, but he had too little talent to do it himself. A mixed blessing in the form of his imagination, however, made him think that his physical actions have magical results.

In game terms, Urgath is a "sorcerer" whose spells are all physical actions. Magic Missile? Throwing rocks. Force Bolt? A very strong punch. Etc.

2) Rock Stonecrusher (NG Elven Fighter or Cleric)

Man, that's a pretty generic name for a dwarf, right? You are correct. Unfortunately, Thenidil Silverstream is an elf who has always dreamed of being a dwarf, and has adopted the names, customs and attitudes of one. Or what he thinks those things should be, since as an elf noble, he has never actually met one. His family is rich and powerful enough that other people tolerate his behavior as "eccentric," but basically this guy is the one who cosplays a little too much.

In game terms, take your pick from Elven Fighter, or Cleric, depending on if you want to be a stereotypical dwarven brawler or a dwarven devotee of Moradin.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 15, 2015

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013
Gnome bard. Make it happen.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Alexander the Lawful Evil Dwarf Wizard

"gently caress the stereotypes, gently caress the mountains, gently caress the mines! I know where real power is, and its in blowing off people's heads with a wave of my hand!"

And so did Alexander set off on the path to infinite power, bucking all trends and traditions set by his forefathers. A jovial, polite sort who likes to keep to himself but is willing to lend a helping hand to anyone that's ready to pay the price. He'd always been the nerdy, intelligent sort and much preferred having a book in his hand than a pickaxe. Of course, because of this he'd often been made fun of by the other dwarven kids. So maybe Alexander is a little power hungry, and a bit of an rear end in a top hat. But its not like he'd ever do anything really bad! Unless there was some sort of reward or benefit to it, in which case...well its not like you can prove he started that fire anyway.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I remember basically everything about SoU except for what special items you can get and when, and I did not get far at all in HotU.

I would love to see you break both of these over your knee, so:

Ban D'aid, Human Cleric: Ban enjoys long walks on the beach, being so awesome that undead run in fear, and beating things to death with his mace, St Pimp-stick.

Or if you want to suffer:

Mr Fister, Dwarven Monk. I feel no introduction is necessary.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kramnden the Half-Orc Bard Kicked out of the cave by his wife A'les after threatening to murder her one too many times. Kramnden goes on a quest of discovery. Like all good :effort: RPG campaign starts, he ends up in a tavern. No one dares call out a half-orc for his tab, so he gets drunk. Really drunk. Shockingly unlike most drunken Orcs, Kramnden is not a violent drunk, but a laughing singing drunk. As the night goes on, he feels better, stronger, faster from the singing, and chooses to go off into the night to fight crime. While he is unlike Orcs in not being a violent drunk, he is very like Orcs in being very hostile when getting over a hangover.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Brakuzall Facepuncher, CG Half-Orc Cleric of Tempus
All the healing mojo of a cleric, all the battle frenzy of a half-orc with a morningstar. Brakuzall turned his back on his orcish tribe because he was tired of being picked on for being half-human, and wandered until he found a temple full of people who liked to fight things even more than most orcs did. Now he travels Faerun, looking for faces that need punching and then punching them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jimmy "the Shoe" Gambino, the third, the Half-Elf Mobster Druid and his trusty sidekick (And right-hand man) Chatter, the bunny. Jimmy is a neutral druid who uses his mob ties considerable powers to help those that would pay him for his services. He cares not who hires him, just that he gets paid. Jimmy and Chatter are the only two known members of his mafia, the Ungovernables party. Rumours abound claim that Chatter once killed a group of knights in cold blood over a stew, but authorities have never been able to prove such allegations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Rodrigo Da Silva LN half-orc Monk. A powerful wanderer who is dedicated to the ancient fighting art of Pro Wrestling. He is deeply commited to both his fighting skills and performing as a heel, but isn't actually an evil person, just absolutely dedicated to being hated by the public through calculated obnoxiousness. Doesn't like shirts.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Brakuzall Facepuncher, CG Half-Orc Cleric of Tempus
All the healing mojo of a cleric, all the battle frenzy of a half-orc with a morningstar. Brakuzall turned his back on his orcish tribe because he was tired of being picked on for being half-human, and wandered until he found a temple full of people who liked to fight things even more than most orcs did. Now he travels Faerun, looking for faces that need punching and then punching them.

I like orcs, and I like clerics, so this is the character I like the best!

Plus if I remember right, these games have lots of skill checks, and at least clerics get a few useful class skills. At least compared to fighter.

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
Draco Johnson, Human Bard, a man who knows he is destined for greatness and baddass-ery (specifically if he chooses a certain prestige class...)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dry Hump posted:

Gnome bard. Make it happen.
Gnome of half-orc, but it's gotta be a Bard. You can play duets with Deekin.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
Sutek Nipplefiend, LN Human Monk

Over a pint of warm ale, it is common to hear tales of martial artists defeating dragons and other horrid beasts with merely their bare hands and "armored" only in the flimsiest of robes. These legends serving to show how a strong and disciplined mind can overcome the most fearsome and challenging opponent. Yet, as the ale grows cold in your hand tales of a darker nature are often heard. Tales of a monk whose quivering palm lingers far too long to be the result of any martial training. A monk said to be a masterful catcher but never of any arrows. A monk whose stunning fist said to be the most dreadful thing to happen to a sentient being outside of a brothel in Calemport. Few among the denizens of the north have met such a monk. Fewer still have left such an interaction without severe trauma.

Sutek has come to Hilltop.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Ah sweet, I will be watching this thread closely. I'm replaying the OC myself right now with the PRC mod installed, which adds so many options, it'd frankly be too much to cover.

The OC is more of an endurance test and I often burn out around chapter 2. The good thing about the OC is if you open it in the toolset, it's a really good tutorial for how to make your own modules, down to having descriptions for how you can use already existing scripts to avoid having to make your own to do most anything you could want. At least it's not as bad with undead as NWN2 is, at least in their OC.

That said, I'd like to see:

Grim Spookystories, LN Halfling Necromancer, from a long line of story-telling halflings, Grim specializes in absolutely terrifying children with tales of the undead and his signature story-telling technique is to throw a smokestick into the fireplace and, make it explode with a small fire-cracker (thunderstone) and as the smoke dissappates, have a bunch of skeleton dolls hanging around the children.

He was evicted from his halfling village for doing this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Undrentide is more of the same as the OC, really. The second expansion is legitimately good, though.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
Roland Human Paladin, watched too many animes listened to too many bards, and now thinks he's a shining knight of yore.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Undrentide is more of the same as the OC, really. The second expansion is legitimately good, though.

I'd argue the first chapter of SoU is really, really good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Isn't it "GET FOUR MACGUFFINS" which is exactly the same structure as the original one's campaign? I admit I don't remeber that much about this expansion apart from hundreds of motherfucking spiders but it really never struck me as anything special.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Got follow Alexander the soon to be great.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Arcade Rabbit posted:

[quote="Godna" post="450281065"]
Got follow Alexander the soon to be great.

"For Alexander wept for there were no more corpses to animate"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Klint Izwudd Half-Orc Paladin

In the world of Orcs there are the good, the bad and the ugly. Klint used to have a crossbow, but he kept losing track of if he'd fired 6 bolts or only 5, so now he just sticks to Axing criminals.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Wow, you guys like orcs, don't you?

I don't. :v:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Jimmy "the Shoe" Gambino, the third, the Half-Elf Mobster Druid and his trusty sidekick (And right-hand man) Chatter, the bunny. Jimmy is a neutral druid who uses his mob ties considerable powers to help those that would pay him for his services. He cares not who hires him, just that he gets paid. Jimmy and Chatter are the only two known members of his mafia, the Ungovernables party. Rumours abound claim that Chatter once killed a group of knights in cold blood over a stew, but authorities have never been able to prove such allegations.

I like this, though! Druids are a lot of fun to play. Congratulations, Jobbo_Fett, you've won the character contest. Your reward is to see your character repeatedly killed by kobolds.

I'll have an update up later today! :)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Isn't it "GET FOUR MACGUFFINS" which is exactly the same structure as the original one's campaign? I admit I don't remeber that much about this expansion apart from hundreds of motherfucking spiders but it really never struck me as anything special.

Yes, but we're collecting items to do something personally important to our character, not just getting the *shudder* "waterdhavian" creatures because... eh?

And they're not-ants, not spiders.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Please be fat half-elf druid mobster.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Act 1, Part 1: Kobolds!

Jimmy wakes up in his dorm room, which he has all to himself. Lucky.

…Huh. This doesn’t look like a very effective adventuring school. We’re still at level 1.

From the box near the bed, Jimmy gets some basic gear and a little present from Master Drogan. Since he's a druid, this translates to an unlimited-use item that increases his Animal Empathy stat once a day.

He also picks up Mystra's Hand. This ring, when equipped, lets us teleport back to Drogan’s place from wherever we are. Two catches: it consumes a focus crystal every time it’s activated, and it can’t be used in battle.

(This rectifies some of the issues with the overpowered Stone of Recall in the original campaign. It was quite possible to teleport back and forth between healing at the Temple of Tyr and a boss battle multiple times with only a minor fee (50-400 GP) for a penalty. It was also quite possible to misjudge how many hit points you had left when you hit the teleport button and end up dying on the dais at the temple of Tyr. Have fun slogging back to the dragon lair from at least five loading screens away!)

Gear on, we venture out.

These must be our classmates!

I have had enough of your jibes, Xanos. You would have done no better.

On the contrary, dear lady, I tend to do exactly what Master Drogan asks me to do. If he says to rescue the goblin child, then I rescue the goblin child! It is not so difficult.

Hmph. I somehow doubt Master Drogan would ask you to rescue anything that he didn't expect you to rob, first.

Ha ha! You are the aspiring thief amongst us, little Dorna, not I!

But a goblin is an evil creature, child or no. How can I be expected to lend it aid? It was not a fair test of my abilities.

So you would leave a child to die, Mischa? What kind of paladin are you?

You are not a paladin, Jimmy.. I would not expect you to understand. A creature of evil deserves no mercy from the righteous.

Oh, and of course the child could not be raised differently, could it? It will always be an evil creature?

This is not about you, Xanos... and besides, you have human blood within to redeem you from your orcish heritage.

You humans are all the same. Sometimes I wonder just how redeeming my human blood really is. Pfah!

Perhaps there is a lesson to learn in Master Drogan's test that you have not thought of yet, Mischa.

Maybe he was trying to teach you that paladins are merciful as well as righteous.

You shame me with your wisdom, Jimmy. Of course you are correct. It is no wonder that Master Drogan holds you in such high regard.

Bah! Who cares how the dwarf regards them? I came here to learn what I can from him and that's all.

The rewards will be worth it in the end, I think.

Hah! My sentiments exactly! The fact that Drogan is not richer tells me he has only so much adventuring knowledge to pass on!

Great wealth is not the goal of every adventurer, Xanos.

I do not speak for the fools, little girl. Let them do as they wish.

Jimmy... I heard Master Drogan saying that your final test would be coming very soon. Do you think you are ready for it?

I believe I am.

You sound so confident. I wish I could say the same.

I bet that Master Drogan will take away Jimmy's ring for the final test. Ha ha! No teleporting about for you!

But Master Drogan gave us the rings to keep us safe! They've kept all of us from being killed during our training!

And what better way to test if you are ready to leave the nest, eh? What do you think of that, Jimmy? Ready to lose your ring?

I've never relied on that stupid ring, anyway.

Ha ha! Xanos is weak of constitution and constantly in need of rescuing by the ring. That's why he values it so highly, I think.

Shut up, little dwarf. I notice you've no lack of focus crystals to power your precious ring.

Better to be safe than sorry, I always say.

Do you know what your final test will be, Jimmy? Has Master Drogan said anything to you?

I am a druid. I expect my powers over nature will be challenged to the utmost.

Bah! You know nothing! Whatever it is, the cunning little dwarf will not make it easy on you.

I cannot wait until Master Drogan gives me my final test. I wish I was in your shoes, Jimmy.

For once I agree with the little girl. I came to Master Drogan to learn how to be an adventurer... I wish to adventure!

True. I wish something exciting would happen here in Hilltop.

Run while you can!

Jimmy gets into a fight with the fleeing kobolds. One gets him but good - the rest make it out the door and into the wild.

Nothing? The poison resists? How can that be? This is no simple toxin these kobolds have used, here. How could they have acquired such a poison, I wonder. And why did they come all this way just to strike at Master Drogan? There must be an answer!

Who are you to be demanding answers, anyway?

I find it more than a little suspicious that some helpful stranger would show up just as these little creatures attack, eh?

How rude! This lady aids us without asking for anything in return. Would you repay her with suspicion?

Rude or not, I'd like an answer, as well. You have remarkable timing, my lady.

Of course you are suspicious. I would be, as well, were I in your shoes. Allow me to introduce myself: my name is Ayala Windspear. I have been following the tracks of these kobolds for almost two days, now. I thought it odd that they would range so far from their home caves in the Nether Mountains. I never imagined they would do something like this, however. As soon as I realized they were headed for Hilltop I came as quickly as I could... but too late.

Why were you following these kobolds to begin with?

I was just passing through this area, to be perfectly honest. It's my responsibility to take note of strange occurrences and investigate them, however.

What do you mean it's your responsibility?

I am a Harper, as is Drogan. Do you know what a Harper is?

Aren't the Harpers some kind of secret society that fights evil?

Indeed, you are well-informed. Doing so has left the Harpers with many enemies, however. It may be one of those that is behind this attack.

I believe...I can shed some light on that...

Drogan, you live! Mystra be praised!

It was... the artifacts they were after. They are stolen... all four of them. I could do nothing...

I thought as much. How could anyone have found out you even had them? This is terrible news.

What artifacts are you talking about?

When Drogan retired to Hilltop, the Harpers entrusted four dangerous artifacts to his care. We thought this area remote enough that they would be safe.

They were. I... do not know... how they were discovered...

I'll help in whatever way I can.

That's good to hear. I will need to stay here and tend to Drogan's poison... the help I can offer is limited until he gets better.

Jimmy... my eldest student. It is... up to you. It is vital... that you find these items and bring them back...

Boy, here we go. THE FETCHQUEST. Everyone's favorite!

I assume the Harpers will reward me handsomely if I help out?

There are rewards... beyond wealth, my boy. Only you can do this. You... are needed, you must have courage! This will be your... final test. I know that you are ready! So much... so much relies on you. I know... you will not let me down...I...cannot...unnnnnghhhh!

Drogan? He's... passed out from the pain. It is up to you, then, Jimmy, as he said. You must recover these artifacts before they can be put to dangerous use. If you need assistance, think of asking Dorna or Xanos to accompany you. The others can remain here and help guard the school.

That would be me. I wish I could go with you, Jimmy. You are so lucky.

And he will be luckier still to have the great Xanos by his side!

Get over yourself already, Xanos. Jimmy will pick whomever he picks... and it will probably be someone he can stand.

Yes, yes, as I said. Me!

There is also bound to be some equipment here in the school which can help you. See if you can find some. Healing equipment especially... if you can't find potions, healing kits will have to do.

Scot-free looting? We're up for that.

As for the artifacts themselves, I can tell you what I know about them if you wish. It's not much, but it might help. Beyond that, all that remains is to go out into Hilltop and follow the trail of the kobolds. It should not be difficult... their passing will have been noticed, I'm sure. I will help you as much as I can, but my first duty is to keep Drogan alive. Whatever this poison is inside him, I intend to fight it.

I should go and get ready.

Excellent. I will tend to Drogan, then. Return to me when you have discovered anything.

So that's our quest. Find the artifacts. What are they, exactly?

Ayala posted:

The mummified hand...It belonged to a powerful lich named Belpheron, as I understand it. The hand was all that was left when he was destroyed.I remember it being said that some of Belpheron's power remained in the hand. Perhaps someone is trying to tap into it... or perhaps one of Belpheron's old followers wants him resurrected. If that was the case, it would be terrible news. Belpheron threatened to destroy Faerun the first time... we certainly don't need him trying again.

The dragon's tooth...A remnant of the great wyrm Hephaestagon, a great dragon that also wielded the most evil of the black arts. The dragon died long ago... but it's possible that the kobolds could have some interest in it, seeing as they are of draconic origin themselves.

The tower statue... I... actually do not know much about that. I believe it was found in a desert tomb many years ago, and one of our wizards detected powerful and destructive magic within it. The nature of the magic could not be discerned, however, so it was put aside to be kept safe until more could be discovered about it. I have my doubts that the statue would be of use to anyone. Perhaps its theft was only incidental because it lay with the rest.

The mask... That once belonged to a high priest of the Lord of Shadows, I believe, and is imbued with considerable power... though nobody has figured out how to use it. Seeing as the God of Thieves rarely produces items of benevolent purpose, it was decided best to keep the mask safe and out of his followers' hands. Perhaps someone has figured out how to use the mask's power? If so, any amount of mischief could be expected as a result.

Hand, tooth, tower statue, mask. Got it.

First off, though, we've got some school-looting to do!

This looks like a suitable door.

Behind it we find Drogon's laboratory and his familiar, Riisi. Riisi is a faerie dragon and is reluctant to help us until we answer three riddles. Two are logic puzzles, one tested my memory of combination properties. We grab 150 XP, a few scrolls, a quartz crystal, and a key to Drogan's study.

Upstairs, we borrow a sword from Mischa and run into the study to find several weapon racks and The Grinder.

The Grinder is a fun little setpiece. Technically it's to be used for making more focus crystals (a quartz crystal plus a couple of other gems) to power Mystra's ring (meaning more respawn tokens, basically), but there are other hidden recipes scattered throughout the game. For example, if we throw Mischa's sword in there...

...a sword of +1 criticals, +1 slashing damage, and +1 enhancement. We can't use it, but it'll bring us some much-needed cash.

We also loot the free weapon stands. Again, not much we can use, but that just means it's money in the bank.

We head out, armed and dangerous. We're not picking up a henchman now because they're both pricks and because we have - drum roll - an animal companion!

A rat?
:v: Them's the breaks, boss. Ain't no rabbits in this game.
...we'll deal with you later.

Not pictured: 144 XP for the death of a single kobold. Not bad.

Getting XP in the early part of the game can be a pain. Ayala gives you about 300 to start off with, but there's a deficit of 700 to make up for. Generally first-level characters will have about 4-10 HP, and that can be gone in an instant if a kobold hits hard once or twice. If Jimmy was luckier, he would have scored a critical hit on one of the fleeing kobolds and scooped up about 200 XP. Unfortunately, he was not lucky, so we're stuck doing errands around town.

Including for dogs. :sigh: This one wants to mate with the wolf familiar of the local apothecary (yes, really) and wishes for help to do this.

No promises.

We head into town.

First off, the local smith's shop to fence sell our goods.

:cripes:

Second, to the town hall.

She wants us to get rid of Piper, the local doomsayer, and promises Jimmy 50 gold if he does this. Apparently Piper predicted the death of a local farmer who was later killed by the kobolds.

:byodood: I don't want to die! I shall follow this new god. What is his name?

:catholic: That has not been revealed to me yet. But follow me and do as I say, and the god who arises shall look on you favorably.

:eek: What lies you spread! I will listen to no more of your foolishness, Piper.

:catholic: Then damnation be upon your head, fool woman! You will be dead within the week. This much has the new god shown me. Even you, Jimmy, shall have to choose! Will you doom yourself and die like farmer Hol, or will you repent of your ways and follow me?

What are you trying to do, old man?

:catholic: I was chosen to save this village from eternal damnation. If they continue down the path into darkness, all will be lost. If we do not repent, then we shall be struck by a plague, just as Neverwinter has been. They too will heed the warnings of the new god, or be destroyed. Never before have the people been in such danger. I am the prophet who comes before. When the new god rises, I shall lead the people to him, and we shall all fall down in worship and praise.

I need to speak to you in private, on behalf of the mayor.

:catholic: There is nothing that godless old fool could have to say to me that my followers cannot also hear. Go on then and make your threats! Do not forget the fate of those who mock me! Forget not the death of Hol Halstrom! Push me, shove me, kick me, beat me; I shall rise again, stronger than ever, to proclaim the coming of the new god. Try to drive the truth from this village, at peril of your own soul!

[Persuade] I think you have done all you can for Hilltop. Others need to be warned.

:catholic: [Success] You may be right. The others of this town will not turn from their dark paths. But where would I go? Who needs to know of the coming god?

Neverwinter always has troubles. Perhaps they need your wisdom.

:catholic: Neverwinter? Yes, I had heard they are troubled by a plague. Surely that is the work of the new god, to weed out the evil in that city. But that is fairly far away, and I will need provisions for such a trip, and how will I live when I get there? No, it is too difficult. I will stay here.

[Persuade] The gods will provide for one as righteous as you.

:catholic: [Success] Such fair dealing from you, perhaps you really are a believer. I must make haste. Others need me!

60 gp earned, the extra 10 given by Hol Halstrom's widow. Not bad for a bad day's work.

Last stop, the local tavern.

Oh dear.

We persuade the kobolds to gently caress off, and then - badabing!

Level up, meaning we're not as fragile as glass and can maybe start adventuring outside of the walls of Hilltop. But before we level up...

I mentioned prestige classes earlier. This is the only one that's any use to a druid - a shifter.

I have two questions here before we wrap it up for the day:

First, do we want to remain a pure druid or become a shapeshifter? We can't take this prestige class for a while yet, so feel free to argue this point for a few pages.

Second, who are we bringing along on our adventures, Xanos or Dorna? Level 2 or no, Shadows is still incredibly hard for a single player, and we might as well drag someone else along as a meatshield. We have Xanos, the sorcerer/barbarian, and Dorna, the rogue/cleric - both have terrible builds, but have extra HP the kobolds can waste themselves on. They take a tiny chunk out of XP, but it's worth it considering you lose XP every time you die.

(Alternatively we could just switch Chatter the dire rat for Chatter the brown bear but that's less interesting)

That's all for now. I hope you enjoyed our first confused envoy into the world of the Shadows of Undrentide.

It gets more interesting, I promise.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hm, I always hate to multiclass a full-progression caster, even if divine spellcasters like druids lend themselves really well to multiclassing.

I say stick to pure druid.
As for the partner, I forget whether Druids get access to the find trap spell, so take Dorna.

And yeah, using limited but not terribly uncommon resources for the homeward teleport was a great answer to the Stone of Recall abuse.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
What better way to build our globe-spanning shady underground corporation guild of followers than become a shapeshifter? It also helps evade the police appeal to everyone.

We should bring Xanos along to act as our henchman/bodyguard.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Shapeshifter and Xanos although we will want to replace him eventually.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm really glad the old 'Paladin is confused about if they should save racially evil children thing' shows up so quickly. It's a real touchstone of the D&D experience.

Goddamn, I hate the idea of Evil Races. Shapeshifter and Xanos

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

As much as I like the prestiging True druid Lyfe, and clearly The heal/utility bot

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Remain a pure Druid and take Xanos.

Hordes of the Underdark is one of my favorite Forgotten Realms experienced, Shadows of Unrentide is not as good but still enjoyable. I'm glad that you're doing this LP, edrith.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Shapeshifter, because pure druids are so drat familiar, and Dorna, because we really need lock & trap utility.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So instead of destroying those powerful evil artifacts or putting them in a heavily fortified and protected vault full of guardians and traps the harpers just put them in a cupboard hoping no one would ever come for them with enough security measures that a group of level 1 kobolds could quickly bypass? Is being a complete and utter moron a prerequisite for the class, or a side effect of taking a level?

Stick with the pure druid, if I read it right the shifter doesn't get any casting. And while turning into a kobold commando sounds hilarious it probably isn't as fun as summoning oversized elementals to pummel everything.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One constant you have to remember about the Forgotten Realms is this: The Harpers are loving idiots.

I mean, they have to be. It's like how Good Gods are always way less active than Evil ones. If the Harpers were at all on the ball, what the hell would there be for the PCs to do?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Pure Druid and take Xanos.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Night10194 posted:

One constant you have to remember about the Forgotten Realms is this: The Harpers are loving idiots.

I mean, they have to be. It's like how Good Gods are always way less active than Evil ones. If the Harpers were at all on the ball, what the hell would there be for the PCs to do?
They are a small organization, right? It would be easy for them to be too overworked and not completely aware of every single thing. They could hire adventurers to help them out, like just now. Anything so they're not some group of morons that are somehow not all dead from sticking forks up their noses and choking. I assume that in the books and other lore they are always told to be so great and so powerful and so amazing while based on what they actually do they couldn't be trusted to successfully carry a healing potion across a room? :v:

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
Become a shapeshifter.
Dorma. Deekan

Livewire42 fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 17, 2015

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
Shapeshifter and Xanos.

Looking forward to see what unique items the druid gets. Took a paladin through once and was pleasantly surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Velisarius posted:

Shapeshifter and Xanos.

Looking forward to see what unique items the druid gets. Took a paladin through once and was pleasantly surprised.

Only the paladin gets a unique item.

• Locked thread