Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

docbeard posted:

Or this is the Time Lord equivalent of a mid-life crisis.
I always thought that would explain the 9th Doctor, who wore a leather jacket, lied about his age, and picked up a bleach blonde girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

marktheando posted:

The Dalek love of stupid sidekick creatures is pretty well established by this point, snake man was fine.
Now I'm wishing Davros had sent a Slyther pub-crawling in search of the Doctor.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

And More posted:

Only if he also somehow plays the Doctor.
If they film another multi-Doctor special he could punch McGann again.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Spatula City posted:

The acting and dialogue writing were good in both parts, and the episodes LOOKED really good. The Dalek city looked awesomely retro-weird, and the sewers were a cool idea, though perhaps one that should have been set up earlier.
Now whenever I watch The Daleks and the cowardly Thal cuts the rope and falls into the chasm, I'll be disappointed there's no *spludge* sound effect accompanied by the squealing and screeching of old mutants.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

The budget for Series 5 was actually lower than it had been for Series 4 and probably for S3 too.
I wonder how much of it was blown on the New Dalek Paradigm.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

And More posted:

I mean, I was really excited for CyberBrig and K-9, but I guess I'll take it.
It could never be as good as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmsafe5d4oM

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Kikka posted:

the doctors wife isnt a good episode to show to anyone or anything
I see your custom title is accurate.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Enourmo posted:

All this Bond-actor talk just makes me sad we'll never see the Sean Connery Rassilon.
Now I'm imagining a Five Doctors with Rassilon's voice dubbed over by a Connery impersonation.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Yeeeeaaaars ago he wasn't too interested in the idea. But I know of late that he's warmed up to the idea.
Indeed:

Sean Pertwee: It would be an honour to play my dad's version of the Doctor

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

I have never understand why she's so beloved by the fans. Don't get me wrong, I liked Sarah Jane but I don't get it. Why her? :confused:

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That was the first picture of a companion looking shocked that found. I personally prefer, in no particular order,

Liz Shaw
Leela
Jamie + Zoe/Victoria

just off the top of my head.
I'd like to be the companion of Liz Shaw's alternate self in Inferno. ;-*

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Barry Foster posted:

To have in your reach such power...to know that the tiny pressure of your finger, enough to push the button, would end everything...that power would set you up above the gods!
And through Amazon he shall have that power!

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Rochallor posted:

Rob Schrab mentioned on the Harmontown podcast that the BBC wants him to put one of their properties into the sequel to the Lego Movie, which narrows it down to either Doctor Who or Broadchurch, I suppose.
Luther?

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Cyber brig was the most shockingly distasteful thing I've seen the BBC, and the way they aired it on Remembrance weekend makes me think they thought they were being respectful.
I'm still looking forward to the spinoff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmsafe5d4oM

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I should do my own version of the Editorium but without being Phil Sandifer, which I hope everyone can agree is a massive natural advantage from the off :getin:
If you're not Phil Sandifer I'm already 100% more likely to read it. :slick:

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

saucerman posted:

Are people objecting to monsters because the US term is "booger"? Or is the concept of monsters made from stuff in your eye in general? Because it's a neat idea, especially for kids.
I don't think people are going to respond positively to mucus monsters or snot men no matter what you call them.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

Sandifer believes his own hype. This is a wonderful thing when he's running righteous exposes of systemic transphobia among Wikipedia editing cabals and tearing Vox Day new rhetorical assholes on internet radio. It's a less wonderful thing when he gets it in his head that any opinion he holds is self-evidently virtuous and proper because he holds it.
Sandifer's batshit crazy fans probably made him worse. There's one who's active both on his blog and at Gallifrey Base, where she posts interpretations that make Sandifer's nonsense about alchemy look positively rational. She's the sort of person whose obsequious ramblings probably feed into his ego.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

HD DAD posted:

If we're thinking about the same person on GB, then yeah, she's pretty out there.

DoctorWhat posted:

If you're talking about Jane Campbell, she's a goddamn genius and far more compelling a critic than Sandifer is, in my opinion.
I'll meet you halfway and admit she's more entertaining to read. Sandifer just annoys me.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Rhyno posted:

The tv film started with Seven so...
Seven got rid of the round things, War brought them back, and then Nine got rid of them again. Weird.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, it was bad. Have Missy take over Coal Hill as the new headmaster, hijinks ensue, and boom you have Clara and Missy meeting right off the bat.
Complete with tissue-compressed little Ian Chesterton in her desk.

Not like being shrunk has stopped Ian before.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

ewe2 posted:

I did Pyramids of Mars, Osirians are mean and they have spooky chair-hands.
My brother made this image immediately after Name of the Doctor went out:

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

CobiWann posted:

The Doctor knowing how to throw a punch goes back to the Third Doctor story Carnival of Monsters where he proclaims John L Sullvian taught him how to box.
Don't forget the First Doctor story The Romans...

DOCTOR: Young lady, why did you have to come in and interrupt? Just as I'd got him all softened up and ready for the old one, two.
VICKI: You're all right then?
DOCTOR: All right? Of course, I'm all right, my child. You know, I am so constantly outwitting the opposition, I tend to forget the delights and satisfaction of the arts, the gentle art of fisticuffs.
VICKI: I realise you're a man of many talents, Doctor, but I didn't know fighting was one of them.
DOCTOR: My dear, I am one of the best. Do you know it was I that used to teach the Mountain Mauler of Montana!

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Mind Loving Owl posted:

So, what the Hell was that Time Tot (Timepole?) doing in the middle of the desert? Do the Time Lords just have child sentries stationed across the planet in case the Doctor makes a dramatic entrance?
Judging from The Magician's Apprentice the Kaled Kids didn't stay in their domes like they ought to. I suppose I, Davros would have gone much differently if Lady Calcula had let little Davros wander to and fro across Skaro's battlefields.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Pizdec posted:

Also, it has always been a fairly off-hand thing, so it's weird that the fandom and the reboot chose to cling so tenuously to this particular off-hand piece of trivia.
The 12 regeneration limit was a plot point in Mawdryn Undead too, wasn't it?

The limit also motivated Borusa's antics in The Five Doctors but you can hardly blame him, given how often the character was regenerating. Gallifrey must be more dangerous than it looks.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Acne Rain posted:

both were actually the master, who has a car shaped tardis, and she goes around running over the doctor's companion's families because she thinks its funny.
Canon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoJ_m5pH0-o <--- 10:18

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

dr_rat posted:

I think you mean drummer...

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I believe we have, yes. I understand your argument, I just still find the anti-pacifism stuff a trifle unsettling. Maybe I'd have to watch again, but I recall it being treated like the Thals are in the wrong for even wanting peace with their ancient enemy - maybe that's being unfair of me, but considering that the Thals are the descendants of survivors of a war where both sides almost wiped out all life on their planet, the fact that they've eager for peace and reconciliation was something I would have liked to have been embraced.
As I recall, in Terry Nation's original draft the Daleks are immobilized when their power is cut off but not killed, and while the Thals are trying to sort out just what to do next a third race turns up on Skaro -- mysterious aliens who admit to being responsible for having caused the war between the Dals and the Thals in the first place. They apologize, and the Daleks and Thals begin to reconcile at long last.

That twist was cut for time and budgetary reasons but it would have made a huge difference. We'd probably look back at the Daleks now as a one-off monster like the Voord or the Quarks.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Argue posted:

What was it?
Considering which Doctor it is, I'm guessing amnesia.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Rochallor posted:

He told us his name earlier this season. It's Doctor Funkenstein.
I'm still hoping he makes a Mothership Connection on an Unfunky UFO.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

idonotlikepeas posted:

Hey, just letting people who were readers of Toxx's Doctor Who review thread know that it's going to be starting back up again in the near future, since some of you might have stopped following it. (And then backing out of this thread with my eyes shut because I have to catch up on the new series too.)
I'm probably not remembering this right, but wasn't a reviewer in that thread getting increasingly cranky about how much he or she didn't even like Dr. Who?

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

josh04 posted:

Ah yeah, 'sexist', that crazy buzzword.

The stated urge of more than one person in this thread to see Clara and Ashildr fail to operate a TARDIS successfully or get put in their place by the Time Lords comes from exactly the same place as complaints about whatsherface in the new Star Wars.
Given I also had those urges, I can hardly wait to tell my lesbian partner that I secretly hate women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

After The War posted:

These are the US versions of the Target novelizations that were put out before the series was widely distributed here. Given that this was possibly someone's first exposure to Doctor Who, there's an "Introduction to the cast of characters" page in each one.
Before I read the US version of "Doctor Who and the Day of the Daleks" my only other exposure to Who had been the Dalek films, so I spent the entirety of the book imagining Cushing's Dr. Who having a grand adventure.

• Locked thread