Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Nice!

How are these for servicing? Relatively ok, or lots of :ohdear: stuff of the "yeah, that's an engine-out one" variety?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, those wire clips to secure the balljoints are more common on older stuff. You're right to try and remove the wire to release it rather than just using brute force, it's much easier that way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

:monocle: Holy poo poo dude, I've been pulled over half a dozen times in the last couple of years and I don't pay that much per year. Are you getting hit with a zip code tax? Maybe try insuring it at the 'rents in the suburbs?

kimbo305 posted:

Not sure what the model is. The Z06, for comparsion, was like $1000/6mon.

Hagerty said the same thing on the phone; no budge on the daily driver requirement. Still need to call Amica and Grundy.
Holy loving poo poo.

I can insure one fully comp - provided I fit a tracker and garage it at night - for $350 per year.

Edit: Jesus Christ, keeping it out on the driveway - in my somewhat chavvy area - would make it $25 cheaper.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 23, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Great, I could afford to insure a Ferrari.

But not buy it :saddowns:
Pretty much! In fairness, a 348 like Kimbo's isn't crazy money though.

And you have a wife/kids you could sell to fund one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

The jump in price from 348 to 355 is crazy. You can get a decent 348 for 50-60k. A similar condition 355 would be 70-80. The 355 also comes with a raft of extra issues (cracking exhaust headers, weak valve guides) that are scary. I think now is the right time to buy a 348, before the nicer ones start appreciating. It's already too late for 355s.
Yeah, it's even worse here. 348s are about the same price, I think, but 355s are more like $100k and rising.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I bet if you took the demounted wheels down there (I always do this, part of my usual thing about minimising how much work someone else does on my cars) with the Ferrari emblems removed, they'd just crack on with them without comment.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sudo Echo posted:

But how does he get the wheels there and back?
In one of his multiple other cars?

And if you only have the one, that's your excuse to buy a few more!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I was being facetious there. My point is that if you presented them with the wheels as not identifiably Ferrari, they likely wouldn't even pass comment on them.

But still, multiple cars are good.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Perhaps it's more that the kind of people now joining SA aren't interested in cars so much?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hah, it was the meerkats who quoted me my aforementioned ridiculously low premium.

Do you have a UK licence? Because if not, compare what it would be like if you did. Ultimately, though, I'm afraid that it still seems that things like age, experience, and no-claims are what get you the price drops.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

I bought a lifetime extended warranty on the Viper (which will inevitably bankrupt them)
Not if it kills you first. :)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

leica posted:

Seconding a hub spacer, or you might be able to find a longer hub to begin with. 1" can make a big difference.
As I understand it, the 348 uses a standard 6-bolt fitting, so an off-the-shelf spacer should work, but I'm going to suggest you consider a removable steering wheel kit. They add an inch or two of spacing out (which may actually be too much), and you get the slight secutity benefit of being able to take the wheel with you or hide it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

leica posted:

But doesn't that increase the odds of his steering wheel disappearing if he doesn't take it with him?

Honestly, if was really worried about my Momo getting stolen, I'd rather tack weld the nut to the shaft and have to grind it back off if I had to get the wheel off. Removable wheels just make it more of a PITA to me.
You can get locking ones if you're concerned.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Are the seats handed? If not, you could swap them over, so you have a "good" bolster taking the heavy wear. Or if you're really fussy about it, a trimmer could repair just that bolster, and it probably wouldn't be ridiculously expensive.

One of the things that's useful about living somewhere RHD, very close to lots of places that are LHD, is that if you've got something that justifies sourcing it, a foreign passenger seat will generally make for a very good condition replacement for a worn driver's seat.

With radio aerials, I normally give them a wipe over with a cloth doused in thin oil, then a wipe again with a clean one. I think you're right about grease attracting dirt.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

At gas station:
"Nice Ferrari, man."
"Thanks."
"Is that a real one or is it a kit?"
"A real one."
"Cool, what year?"
"1991."
"An older one -- what model?"
"A 348"
How did he express the "An older one"?

Because to me, a new Ferrari is something that makes me half-expect the owner to be a oval office, and the older they get, the more likely I think it is the owner will be a petrolhead.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

Just talking out loud and orienting himself to the age, I think. I haven't decided if it's rude to ask someone if their car is a replica or kit.
The few times I talk to someone with a 356, I'll ask, so I guess I'm guilty of it myself. And I certainly do it for every Cobra I see.
I don't think it's rude as such, I think it's more if it's the fourth time that morning, people get a little tired of it.

They do get riled up if they say "Yeah, it's an MR2 kit" and you go:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

The car classes at the Virginia City Hillclimb are usually done at the last minute, since we don't really know the final groupings until the day before. We usually break them down into way too many model-specific classes with 2 or 3 cars in each at the most. I thought it'd be funny to organize them into "Ferrari Early Model" and "Ferrari Late Model" with the cutoff being the 458. That was not well received by some people :laugh:
Why not have Ferraris and M3s split in a similar manner, "dyed and/or gelled hair, pastel or fluorescent polo shirt, Ray Bans other than Aviators" in one group, "normal humans" in another?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

Hahaha I'd love to, but those types always self-select themselves out of the group after realizing just how scary pushing a car they don't know how to drive on a road with 400' drop-offs can be. Those that do stick around know not to use words like "provenance" in our presence.
It's called darWINian selection, brah, not darLOSER. *Pops collar and turns off all electronic aids*

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

After popping the wheel off (didn't expect any issues since the tire shop had just put the tires on), I encountered these:

Maybe to help hang the wheel? Some other spacer install guide said to take them off. I came dangerously close to rounding one of them.
Yep, I'd be willing to bet they're the same part as on my Pandas!

You're right, they're just there to give you something to hang the wheel on when fitting. They also act as the brake disc retaining screw. Removing them won't hurt anything.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geirskogul posted:

The twisting metal weakens over time, and this is greatly exacerbated by bending them in the opposite direction. Which is why I'm told you don't use them to loosen bolts.

(I'm probably wrong)
As long as you don't exceed the elastic limit, it should be fine. Treat it as breaker bar on a crank bolt after 20 years of road salt, you'll probably gently caress it up.

One of the good things about basic beam-and-needle torque wrenches is that you can use them when undoing stuff to see what torque it takes, as they're marked in both directions normally. Most click-type ones can't help you there, though those with a dial gauge or a digital one can.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tremek posted:

Porsche Unleashed is still my favorite racing game, bar none. :blush:
I loved that game. It was the one last, desperate, gasp of air from Need For Speed before it was dragged back under.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Some heatshrink or bicycle innertube on it might do the business.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

I wouldn't think it's from heat. The fan kicks in at 195F, according to the gauge anyways, and the cool weather has kept it healthily under 195 when driving around.
You can still get bad fuel evaporation, even if the engine is holding temperature. My Landie gets it in stop-start traffic in the middle of summer, and it's never even close to overheating.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Blacknose posted:

I'm not sure asking your date 'Would you like to see my fun car' is a very good idea.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

blk posted:

Also Lamborghini and Porsche are both VAG so she gets a pass.
I'm assuming she was confused because the Lamborghini wasn't on fire at the time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Muffinpox posted:

Look at this nouveau rich Ferrari owner not knowing to use distilled tears of the working class to refill his windshield washer fluid.
Well, I'm a pragmatic man, I'd say find a poor person and kick them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

There is an additive that might be an acceptable substitute, but it's so reasonably priced: http://www.ricambiamerica.com/940000277-washer-fluid-wurth-20-250ml.html
Well, I've already got my boots on and had a glass of moloko plus, so it's too late now.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How can it be the worst? What about the Mondial, the 400, the 208/308?

The 348 at the very least looks like a Ferrari should.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Eleven litres? Christ.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Speedhunters' name gives me an idea. We need a programme like hunting-supported animal reserves in Africa. If you want make stupid mods to a rare/enthusiast car, you have to pay a "ruining fee" to do so, and you'll be assigned a car that's otherwise past saving anyway, the money being used to carry out restoration or functional modifications on other examples.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

The main thing changing is the scrub radius. So the center of the steering axis inclination goes through a different point in relation to the contact patch. Usually it will be somewhere near the center. Moving the contact patch out will give more positive scrub and mostly result in firmer steering and more feedback from bumps in the road because you are giving the tire more leverage over the suspension and steering parts. That extra leverage means the outside front will toe out a little more due to deflection in bushings and such.

So that could definitely result in a bit more "mushiness," especially if the steering rack mounts and stuff aren't in perfect shape.
Thank you.

It really winds me up how many people (especially 4x4 guys) don't understand that spacing/offset is far more about there it puts the intersection of the suspension geometry witht he contact patch than "hurrr, if I make it stick out another inch, it won't rub any more, so it's better".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Steering live axles still have kingpin incination and castor angle, and a suspension lift and/or wheels and tyre swap can definitely affect their effective intersection with the contact patch.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Thanks for the thread, Kimbo, it's been good to follow along, especially with the details on actual ownership costs etc.

kimbo305 posted:

- not knowing how to say garbanzo or chickpea
WTF is "garbanzo"?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

It's a type of bean.
I only do baked, runner, and Riding.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Try hunting down a Noble and try that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Lotus-Esprit-/142244553791

Did some Esprit research -- sounds like the I4 is way safer than the Renault trans behind the V8.
Yeah, It's still the UN1, though in fairness, it's not quite the same gearbox in later versions as the older/smaller engined cars, and is apparently rated for a hair under 300 lbs.ft.

I'd expect someone out there has worked out a conversion to something like a flipped 911 gearbox.~

Edit: I do like later Esprits. I think my soft spot for them is when they were cast as the "cool spy car" in Teen Agent.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 18, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sten Freak posted:

Don't forget Pretty Woman :)

I wonder how temperamental they are.
In my mind, being mistaken for a secret agent on a school trip and getting into James Bond-like escapades is an order of magnitude more believable than being able to hook up with a 20-something Julia Roberts.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

Nothing changed with the structure of our society with the election of a new president.
Some aspects of society take election results tha reflect their beliefs to mean that they also have validation of other beliefs. It's not that people might want to do something they didn't a few weeks ago, it's that they might feel it's now acceptable to actually do it.

How much you feel that is an actual threat is another matter.

Seminal Flu posted:

In the end, you're dealing with an individual person selling a car. If you're relying on stereotypes, then the stereotypical Missourian that owns a car you're interested in is probably p cool.
The person you're going to see may be cool, any number of people you encounter as a function of the journey might not be.

Kimbo, I understand why you might feel that way, but I do agree with SF, don't let it be something that stops you doing what you want to do.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

You're not in the US, your opinion doesn't count. :colbert:
We've had similar issues folowing the Brexit vote, remember. Different basis, but the same problem, racist fuckwits thinking that their bullshit is now generally acceptable.

You also seem to have not noticed that I effectively agreed with you, I just wasn't handwaving the basis for Kimbo's concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What are the regulations for your area on kit cars and the like?

• Locked thread