Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'm a member of a group called "AoE2 Goons"; there's been no posts in it since January though. Making a new one might be a good idea, I dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Ironically it makes them more like real galleys than the regular galleys are in the game :v:

Yes but look at the difference in the sprites. They are cleaner, more colorful and have more defined borders. Doesn't fit with the old ones at all. It looks more like a ship someone modded in.

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 17, 2015

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Poil posted:

Yes but look at the difference in the sprites. They are cleaner, more colorful and have more defined borders. Doesn't fit with the old ones at all. It looks more like a ship someone modded in.

Problem is that the new developers won't be able to recreate the ensemble art style perfectly, most of the stuff they make ends up standing out a bit in comparison.

But what's this? New Dev blog!

quote:

Age of Empires II HD – Dev Blog #7 – Marco Polo, new maps!
There’s one subject we have yet to cover – and one that is more often than not sorely Forgotten (yeah… :P). All previous expansions have so far introduced new random maps and/or real world maps. We have seen interesting and even groundbreaking concepts be brought to fruition. However, with the The African Kingdoms, no matter how much more extreme or unconventional maps we wanted to make, we knew deep down that similar ones have been done before and the fountain of map-making possibilities has been nearly exhausted. It was time to take the random maps to the next level.

The mystical island of Socotra, one of the new random maps in the upcoming expansion.

Special Maps
Over the past years we have heard clamours for maps that would challenge team play in unconventional ways, force players to cooperate. Maps where a statement like “kill your guy” would not make sense. One of these was a water map with two islands, where each island was inhabited by three allies and one enemy.
Oh wait, what is this?!

But are these maps still random? Are these not simply scenarios? They are random indeed. In fact, they function on the same basis as real world maps – the only part of the map that is set in stone is the shape of the land. Everything else, forests, resources, and most importantly, players’ positions are in the stars. Good luck to the fella behind enemy lines!
As we have a look at some of the other special maps, we can see there’s often a short straw to be drawn.

Now this is all hunky dory but what happens if there are fewer than 8 players? How do 3vs3 or 2vs2 work if the land shape is set in stone?

Like this! Of course this means the size of the map is still optimized for 8 players, so with fewer players you either have more room to expand, or more room to run away to prepare your comeback. It’s a matter of perspective really.
Now before we wrap up, feel free to check out few more minimaps of other special maps. Don’t hesitate to think up some potential strategies!

Release
The release date is crawling closer and we have only revealed 2 civilizations so far, gasp! Keep an eye on our website and social media for the coming week, we’re slowly revealing everything!

Plenty of creative looking new maps, and it looks like they're using a new architecture set for the Indian civilization, its taken from a mod that was originally posted on AoK heaven by the looks of it, pretty nifty I must say, though I'm not a huge fan of how the houses look.

Looks like there won't be any black villagers though :(

Just one week to go!

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Plenty of creative looking new maps, and it looks like they're using a new architecture set for the Indian civilization, its taken from a mod that was originally posted on AoK heaven by the looks of it, pretty nifty I must say, though I'm not a huge fan of how the houses look.

Looks like there won't be any black villagers though :(
Shame about the lack of black villagers.

CysionBE of the Forgotten team has posted about the Indian building set at Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/3qrinc/now_that_it_seems_indian_civ_get_a_own/

It sounds like the game won't include the Indian set by default, and we still have to install it separately as a mod. All they have done is to make the Indian civilization have its own building style number (instead of using the same number as Middle Eastern civs), thus making the mod possible.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So what's the release date?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Nice town. I'll take it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ninjewtsu posted:

So what's the release date?

5th of November, sorry I'll pop that in the OP.

cuc posted:

Shame about the lack of black villagers.

CysionBE of the Forgotten team has posted about the Indian building set at Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/3qrinc/now_that_it_seems_indian_civ_get_a_own/

It sounds like the game won't include the Indian set by default, and we still have to install it separately as a mod. All they have done is to make the Indian civilization have its own building style number (instead of using the same number as Middle Eastern civs), thus making the mod possible.

Oh well, I really like that mod anyway and it'll be nice to see the steam workshop get an improvement.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Alright, tons of new info have been released in the run up to African Kingdom's release in a few days, first there's a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnkV7XTh8lU

You can see the four new civs in the trailer, the Malians, Ethiopians, Berbers and Portuguese. Additionally it seems as though there's a new generic unit in the Siege tower to pop units right over walls.

As well as that they've been releasing overviews of the new civs each day till release, lets have a breakdown:

Berbers

quote:

Unite the tribes of Northern Africa and prepare your naval vessels to escape the scorching heat of the Maghreb. Set sail to war-torn Iberia to conquer new riches. Can you hold your ground against the scrambled kingdoms of Iberia who are slowly uniting against you?

Quick Card

Cavalry and Naval civilization

-Villagers move +10% faster
-Stable units cost -20% (starting from Castle Age)
-Ships move +10% faster

Unique Units:
-Camel Archer (“anti-cavalry archer” cavalry archer)
-Genitour (mounted skirmisher)

Unique Technologies:
-Kasbah: Team castles work +25% faster
-Maghrabi Camels: Camel troops regenerate

Team Bonus:
-Genitour (mounted skirmisher) available in Archery Range

Malians

quote:

Follow in the footsteps of the great Mansa Musa and become the greatest king of Western Africa. Conquer surrounding kingdoms to expand your wealth and hold a firm grip on the trade routes that zigzag through the the region. Will you be able to keep the once hostile provinces united under your crown?

Quick Card

Infantry civilization

-Buildings cost -15% wood
-Infantry +1 pierce armor per Age (starting from Feudal Age)
-Gold Mining upgrades free

Unique Unit:
-Gbeto (ranged infantry)

Unique Technologies:
-Tigui: Town Centers fire arrows
-Farimba: Stable units +3 attack

Team Bonus:
-University researches +80% faster

Ethiopians

quote:

Relive the glory of the once mighty Aksumite empire and rule over the Red Sea. Launch military expeditions into the Arabian peninsula and far beyond to hold a firm grip on your trading partners. Will your dynasty stand strong against internal conflicts or will your successor already be preparing your funeral. Only the strongest dynasty will survive…

Quick Card

Archer civilization
-Archers fire +15% faster
-Receive +100 gold, +100 food when advancing to the next Age
-Pikeman and Halberdier upgrades free

Unique Unit:
-Shotel Warrior (infantry)

Unique Technologies:
-Royal Heirs: Shotel Warriors are created nearly instantly
-Torsion Engines: Siege workshop units blast radius increased

Team Bonus:
-Towers and Outposts +3 LOS

Portuguese will be shown tomorrow but it seems that they have Caravels as a unique naval unit with long range piercing shots, as well as Organ guns like in AoE3. Additionally the building shown in the trailer is apparently not the civ's Wonder according to the devs on Reddit, it could be some kind of super Town Center, we'll see soon enough!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

C-Euro posted:

Age of Empires 1 is one of my favorite games ever and I think the first PC game that I really got into, yes it hasn't aged super-well but something about the primitive design of it all endears it to me. Honestly if the unit cap could just go above 50 I would still play it regularly, I found an XP-compatible print run of the game at a Wal-Mart a few years and it runs fine on my Win7 laptop, other than some color issues. I like AoE2 a lot as well and bought it plus the recent expansion when they came out on Steam, but haven't played it in a while since my laptop has weird memory issue. I've also been meaning to pick up AoM for years but just haven't gotten around to it.

This post got me to look up some AOE1 things. I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPULvySlnDfqmsyk2qWLNUA

Channel with playthroughs of all the AOE1 campaigns. Kinda makes me realise just how much I sucked back in the day. What's astounding is how few combat units he uses, in the end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
African Kingdoms is out! New expansion for Age of Empires 2 motherfuckers! And its on sale on steam right now!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/355950/ $7.99!

Orv
May 4, 2011
And everyone just played Chinese and Huns forever anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I can't believe no goons are playing Age of Empires 2, especially with a new expansion out.

Is there another thread? Or is everybody just too busy with the latest current gen releases to care? :corsair:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i want to play more aoe2

Hailfire
Sep 11, 2011
Been playing this for the first time in years, so happy that it hasn't forgotten, the fact that both Age of Empires and Mythology are still going is fantastic! Looking forward to the new expansion to Age of Mythology.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Zaphod42 posted:

I can't believe no goons are playing Age of Empires 2, especially with a new expansion out.

Is there another thread? Or is everybody just too busy with the latest current gen releases to care? :corsair:

Sorry, sort of ignored this thread for a while to do other things, I slapped together a steam group since the old one seems completely moribund, but keep in mind that I have zero experience with this sort of thing!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/EmpireGoons

In unrelated news some of the new civs seem loving monstrous (especially compared to the forgotten civs), the Malians extra infantry pierce armor lets them shrug off ridiculous amounts of arrows, the Portuguese can crap out gold cheap units all day and ballistics on gunpowder units turns them into meat-grinders while the Berbers have probably the best castle age warfare in the game with their ridiculous cavalry discount

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah the new factions do seem really strong, but don't forget all the massive patch changes to the old factions too. I think some of them are significantly more powerful than they used to be.

It'll take awhile for me to figure out the balance, although I've never really known balance for Age of Empires 2 anyways. Its such a massive game I just kinda play it, I can't go too deep on the theorycrafting.

And no worries khwarezm, I mean you were posting about African Kingdoms leading up to the release. I'm just surprised there's so few people posting in this thread overall :smith:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've been playing a crapload of Age of Empires III lately. I love how explodey it is.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Brawnfire posted:

I've been playing a crapload of Age of Empires III lately. I love how explodey it is.

It's really cool in its own way and i'm sad the steam sale doesn't include it alone- it's to the point where a bundle with it and everything else is cheaper than the game alone.

For example, the factions in AoE3 are more distinct than those in AoE2.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I get really pumped when I'm churning out howitzers to pummel a fortress and the enemy's cannon are trying to take them out but my grenadiers are lobbing grenades at them but the fortress cannons keep blasting the grenadiers and albus guns and horse cannon and everything is exploding and shaking

I mean, uh, it's tactically quite intriguing

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Sorry, sort of ignored this thread for a while to do other things, I slapped together a steam group since the old one seems completely moribund, but keep in mind that I have zero experience with this sort of thing!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/EmpireGoons

In unrelated news some of the new civs seem loving monstrous (especially compared to the forgotten civs), the Malians extra infantry pierce armor lets them shrug off ridiculous amounts of arrows, the Portuguese can crap out gold cheap units all day and ballistics on gunpowder units turns them into meat-grinders while the Berbers have probably the best castle age warfare in the game with their ridiculous cavalry discount

i joined. i wanna play this game with goons again

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

I get really pumped when I'm churning out howitzers to pummel a fortress and the enemy's cannon are trying to take them out but my grenadiers are lobbing grenades at them but the fortress cannons keep blasting the grenadiers and albus guns and horse cannon and everything is exploding and shaking

I mean, uh, it's tactically quite intriguing

Nah, don't hide it. The game is beautiful, and you can tell they poured a lot into it, especially the breaking buildings and ships. Though you'd never think a torch could just make a building crumple so. What are those Samurai/Pikemen packing? I remember they made a big thing about 'Damage is not fire any more'. Which is certainly true.

It's a little bright, maybe(I'm no brown-lover, but Age of Mythology's about my kind of colours, if that makes sense) but otherwise it's really nice.

I still don't understand the natives or China especially well.

Orv
May 4, 2011
China is all about exponential booming until you can produce your entire pop cap in military every ten seconds.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Bloodly posted:

Nah, don't hide it. The game is beautiful, and you can tell they poured a lot into it, especially the breaking buildings and ships. Though you'd never think a torch could just make a building crumple so. What are those Samurai/Pikemen packing? I remember they made a big thing about 'Damage is not fire any more'. Which is certainly true.

It's a little bright, maybe(I'm no brown-lover, but Age of Mythology's about my kind of colours, if that makes sense) but otherwise it's really nice.

I still don't understand the natives or China especially well.

The natives are a pretty odd but interesting mechanism. I like the firepit, you basically have settlers dancing around it to produce various effects, such as producing units faster or increasing hitpoints or increasing resource collection rates, etc. The more dancers, the stronger the effect, and as you age up you get additional types of dance.

Their only problem is a lack of explodey boom-boom units. Most of my usual game revolves around planting a fortress and some mortars/howitzers as close to my enemy as possible and raining unholy hell upon them.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
African Kingdoms trip report:
- They somehow broke the "idle villager" button. This makes playing the game very annoying.
- The Portuguese campaign is a lot of fun. Two maps have you make a choice between a "land" and a "naval" path, relying on feitorias.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Messing around with AOE3, found something to make the Home Cities from the campaigns usable in skirmish 'as-is'. Vaguely interested if a 'good' player could make Malta work, given their own issues(No Industrial/Imperial, no Plantations, no Livestock Pen, no Explorer).

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 9, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Morholt posted:

African Kingdoms trip report:
- They somehow broke the "idle villager" button. This makes playing the game very annoying.
- The Portuguese campaign is a lot of fun. Two maps have you make a choice between a "land" and a "naval" path, relying on feitorias.

Yeah I was wondering about the idle villager button, seemed completely borked but I wasn't sure if that was just me or what. That sucks hardcore.

They mentioned with the campaigns they intentionally wanted to give players more room to build and come up with their own solution rather than having one specific intended way to play. I like that much much better.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The devs said on reddit that they'll try to have a patch out today or tomorrow to sort out the idle villager problem, along with a number of other glitches and bugs that the update and expansion bought.

Meanwhile I've been trying to play the first Ethiopian campaign and it is absolutely wrecking my poo poo. drat, I think I better go back to finish the other campaigns instead until I get good.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
In case you didn't beat the first map yet, you can speedrun it by simply heading for the eastern exit right away. Bring some converted Shotel Warriors to distract the enemy while Yodit slinks through.

Edit: And what do you know, patch just downloaded and now idle villagers works again.

Morholt fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 9, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Every single time

Oh look, its a relic, I'll just grab one of my priests and go grab the... poo poo its gone.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound
aoe series is on sale on stream right now until 2-Dec. just downloaded it remembering the good old days playing games all day everyday, AOE still rules today.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Oh God, it feels like its been a million years since I did anything with this thread.

Ok so, the new expansion for Age of Mythology is coming along nicely and they have a release date set for January 28th. A lot of information has been released in the last week and they have been revealing a minor god every day of the week up till release:

Sun Wukong

Myth unit: Monkey King, Stuns units.
God Power: Great Journey, Sun Wukong teaches you his secrets of swift movement. This Classical Age God Power temporarily speeds up all your units, making them more maneuverable on the battlefield.

Huangdi

Myth Unit: Terracotta Warrior, Returns part of its cost after death. Expels lethal dust.
God Powers: Call to Arms, Huangdi, knows the importance of having sufficient soldiers to protect yourself. You can use his God Power to duplicate a random number of soldiers in an area. When targeting an army, it can either duplicate a lot of cheap Human units, or a few Myth units. Heroes are unaffected by this God Power.

Chang’e

Myth Unit: Qilin, Immune to most powers, heals units on death
God Power: Barrage, Chang’e orders her husband Houyi to send down a barrage of arrows to protect her followers. The Barrage can be used to target any spot, but is most effective on large groups of units. Buildings are also affected but to a much lesser extent.

Zhong Kui

Myth Unit: Jiangshi, Undead unit that drains life from enemy soldiers.
God Power: Uproot, Zhong Kui’s God Power sends roots up through the Earth’s crust to damage enemy buildings. Buildings located within the area of effect are then surrounded by possessed roots which will keep on damaging the buildings until they are destroyed. The more buildings in the area, the stronger the effect of the God Power.

The three major gods are Fu Xi, Nu Wa and Shennong, but no information has been released about them as of now.

They have also revealed most of the human units that the Chinese will use, stuff like Chu-ko-nu, Cavalry archers and Halberdiers. Here's the blogpost about them here. We have yet to see their siege units and heroes, so hopefully more about that will become apparent in the next few days!

One other thing, I made a group for goons a while back but I mostly forgot about it till recently. A few people have already joined and it might be good if we could organize a few games!

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 21, 2016

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Accurate depiction of the average AOEII game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=138ajKRMzIY

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Dabo Gong technologies:

quote:

Unique Technologies

House Altars: Dabo Gong increases the rate at which Gardens generate Food, Wood, Gold and Favor.
Burials: Dabo Gong makes Monks convert enemy units at a faster rate.
Landlord Spirit: Dabo Gong makes your villages prosper by reducing the time it takes to train Peasants.

Chinese wololo in AoM :v:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Bumping the thread because the new expansion just came out for Age of Mythology. I bought it an hour ago because of the 55%-off pack.

I had never heard of or touched this game when I was younger. I just went through the tutorial and I feel like I missed out on something good while I was busy losing horribly in Brood War for all of those years..

Are there any goons who actively like this game and play it regularly?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

New expansion is out for Age of Mythology! First in 13 years holy poo poo.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Bumping the thread because the new expansion just came out for Age of Mythology. I bought it an hour ago because of the 55%-off pack.

I had never heard of or touched this game when I was younger. I just went through the tutorial and I feel like I missed out on something good while I was busy losing horribly in Brood War for all of those years..

Are there any goons who actively like this game and play it regularly?

Age of Empires and Age of Mythology are both loving awesome games, but if this thread is any judge then there's not a ton of goons playing. Some people probably play it here or there but don't come into the thread or try to play with other goons or anything. :smith:

Its sad, I was hoping there'd be an explosion of interest in Age 2 after the new expansion, because age 2 is the loving poo poo. But it was like a fart in the wind as far as SA cared.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've been playing a bunch of AoE2 online lately, I am not good at it. :saddowns:

But it is still a lot of fun. As long as you don't play on blackforest of course.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I play aoe2 with some regularity

I think goons still play, we just need a bit more organization to this than throwing up a steam group and hoping it sorts itself out

Anyone free tomorrow? We could arrange a time and pile into the camping the stairs goon mumble.

I'm free probably around 12 central myself

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 29, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Poil posted:

I've been playing a bunch of AoE2 online lately, I am not good at it. :saddowns:

But it is still a lot of fun. As long as you don't play on blackforest of course.

Yeah I'm really really bad but I enjoy it too.

If anything I like blackforest because I'm bad, it lets me just turtle up like crazy which I what I usually prefer to do since I'm not pro.

I really like the "treaties" game mode they added (which is pretty much just no-rush with varying time limits), my friends and I always played Age2 as kids with an unofficial no-rush time limit of like, something crazy like an hour+. We'd each tech all the way fully up to the Imperial age without really raiding each other at ALL, then we'd meet on the field of battle with our perfect, max-population armies, and just have it out in one glorious braveheart-style affair. And then we'd just concede the match and start a new one.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can't stand blackforest because there is just one slog at the chokepoints without any room to move. Also still butthurt after I started at the location closest to the enemy in a team game and the enforced random civ gave me the one that couldn't build stone walls. Guess how well that went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

black forest is much better now that onagers can bust through trees

chokepoint got you down? make a new path right to their starting town center! :getin:

• Locked thread