Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah I think they said that the American marines are coming with some of those tanks that can float or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, those look like some kind of AAVP. So that's highly likely that the USMC are finally being added.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Neat! The BMP, BRDM, MT-LB, and BTR are also amphibious, so a lot of the opposing factions already have ones available.

That might be a new map too?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Next patch with USMC faction and amphibious vehicles comes out June 22nd

https://twitter.com/JoinSquad/status/1537133061359411200

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Also some of the maps are modified so the rivers are actually deep enough that amphibious capability is needed. It should help make controlling movement somewhat easier, as I don't think any of the logistic vehicle is amphibious.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
They changed the driving physics like a year ago so that any vehicle driving in water will control like a boat, so it was very obvious in hindsight what they were doing.

They better release an island map or something, because there isn't a use case for these things in the current maps. Skorpo is the only thing that comes to mind, but all of those islands are well out of bounds (unless they change it like they did a few years ago with that Narva map).

The whole thing is gonna be dumb, because all it takes is a few BTR shots on your slow-moving boat that can barely turn and then it's just 👏-50 tickets or whatever

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
They're gonna be part of a set piece unless Gorodok or another map (Mutaha?) is overhauled and given a larger river.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That's really cool but...

- The British Army is still overpowered
- Militia and Insurgents are underpowered
- They still haven't done anything with new game modes, special effects or Picture-in-Picture optics. Right now, it basically always makes sense to pic an optic.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

- They still haven't done anything with new game modes, special effects or Picture-in-Picture optics. Right now, it basically always makes sense to pic an optic.

What do you reckon for iron sights? They are objectively worse in every way in reality too.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Right now, it basically always makes sense to pic an optic.

Why wouldn't it?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The niche for ironsight riflemen that I've found is that they get two hand grenades, so you can just huck a dozen of them extremely fast to wipe people from an area if you get close enough to do it, and if you're that close you can just full auto them anyway and optics don't matter at that range.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How are Brits specifically overpowered? BLUFOR in general are overpowered, while I agree Militia and Insurgents are underpowered.

The Hell Cannon is a move in the right direction, and even if they're poo poo, Insurgents are always the most fun. There's something exhilarating when winning a match with them, probably because they're not as organised as the opposing factions, both in game and in real life.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

1player posted:

How are Brits specifically overpowered? BLUFOR in general are overpowered, while I agree Militia and Insurgents are underpowered.

The Hell Cannon is a move in the right direction, and even if they're poo poo, Insurgents are always the most fun. There's something exhilarating when winning a match with them, probably because they're not as organised as the opposing factions, both in game and in real life.

Agreed, insurgents are a blast. Better optics - even simple stuff - and more RPGs would probably be enough.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

What do you reckon for iron sights? They are objectively worse in every way in reality too.

There's no reason to pick Iron Sights over an actual Optic like the ACOG or otherwise. If the game added Picture-In-Picture - like Escape from Tarkov - it'd highlight the advantages and disadvantages. Iron Sights would have a much better time in short range combat while optics better suited for long range combat.

1player posted:

British armor is insanely overpowered at least in comparison to every other faction. The addition of the Hell Cannon was cool but they really need more than just that to balance things out especially Militia. And they shouldn't be using optics from the 1980s either.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

There's no reason to pick Iron Sights over an actual Optic like the ACOG or otherwise. If the game added Picture-In-Picture - like Escape from Tarkov - it'd highlight the advantages and disadvantages. Iron Sights would have a much better time in short range combat while optics better suited for long range combat.

British armor is insanely overpowered at least in comparison to every other faction. The addition of the Hell Cannon was cool but they really need more than just that to balance things out especially Militia. And they shouldn't be using optics from the 1980s either.

Optics are always better in real life. Even a 4x.

Edit: There shouldn't be a reason to pick iron sights that isn't a supply/load out/availability issue.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Is there still a goon squad? Noticed OP who posted the group got permaed for being a gamergater or whatever lol

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

The addition of the Hell Cannon was cool but they really need more than just that to balance things out especially Militia. And they shouldn't be using optics from the 1980s either.

Agreed on the Militia's scope being total wank, which is a shame because their battle rifle is extremely powerful compared to the Allied carbines.

But what I'd really like to see is Suicide Bombers for the Insurgents: it's a commander resource, and they can use it to turn someone into a suicide bomber to go blow up an HAB or a radio. OWI is never gonna implement it, but that'd be hilarious.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

1player posted:

Agreed on the Militia's scope being total wank, which is a shame because their battle rifle is extremely powerful compared to the Allied carbines.

But what I'd really like to see is Suicide Bombers for the Insurgents: it's a commander resource, and they can use it to turn someone into a suicide bomber to go blow up an HAB or a radio. OWI is never gonna implement it, but that'd be hilarious.

You mean the thing that people already do by putting IEDs on bikes?

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
I miss the huge vehicle IEDs from Project Reality. Nothing like a garbage truck filled with explosives to clear a point

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I miss gerrys too :( they have those large vehicles as static models on some of the maps and it makes me sad

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

gently caress SNEEP posted:

You mean the thing that people already do by putting IEDs on bikes?

To do the IED thing you need: a bike, someone to drive the bike, a sapper with explosives and a Nokia phone and good coordination.

My suicide bomber idea is the commander going to someone and telling them: "by the power vested in me by Allah the Most Merciful, wear these explosives, go forth and blow that HAB."

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

An ACOG is better in even close fighting than iron sight. There’s no real reason to ever choose iron sights ever.

Squad can attempt to balance it with giving more grenades or other tools to iron sights. That one is a great way to entice less optics.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

An ACOG is better in even close fighting than iron sight. There’s no real reason to ever choose iron sights ever.

Squad can attempt to balance it with giving more grenades or other tools to iron sights. That one is a great way to entice less optics.

You don't use ACOGs in CQC Combat in real life. I don't see why squad should be any different?

Anyhow,

https://twitter.com/JoinSquad/status/1539315986859319304?s=20&t=UoNgqOfbearF_ImMSbFVKA

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Oh nice, I didnt realize 3.0 was this close.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

You don't use ACOGs in CQC Combat in real life. I don't see why squad should be any different?

Anyhow,

https://twitter.com/JoinSquad/status/1539315986859319304?s=20&t=UoNgqOfbearF_ImMSbFVKA

This is incorrect, you absolutely use ACOGs in close combat in real life. About 2/3 of the platoon carried them my first deployment and they were standard-issue on all M4s by my second.

They aren't as good as red dots for close quarters, but you don't use iron sights in close quarters in real life either; at that point you're aiming down the barrel/looking over the top of the sights.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

We, uh, definitely did when I was in two years ago.

They’re much harder to use at close than holosight though, but they definitely work well enough, just much harder to keep the sight picture if you’re doing like rapid pairs at close range and stuff.

You’d have to be really really really good if it’s even possible to hold the sight picture with those magnified multi range service optics while shooting and moving like you can in games like squad and arma where somehow it’s just as easy as with a holosight though, the thing I’ve seen popular the last time I saw coolguys was a holographic cqc sight with flip up magnifying optic to get the best of both worlds

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 22, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

If Squad simulated magnified optics' eye boxes like Tarkov does it'd be a lot harder to use them at point blank range. They don't, though, so you can whip around and still have a clear sight picture with no delay and there's not really any reason to *not* have a magnified optic if you can take one.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Kazinsal posted:

If Squad simulated magnified optics' eye boxes like Tarkov does it'd be a lot harder to use them at point blank range. They don't, though, so you can whip around and still have a clear sight picture with no delay and there's not really any reason to *not* have a magnified optic if you can take one.

Huh I was wondering if there was any game that simulates that. I was surprised that even arma didn’t. It’s not something you’d likely notice unless you’ve spent time doing cqb style shooting drills with various optics so it makes sense it’d be overlooked even by experienced people who were in the military or gun nerds.

So no active goon squad squad? drat

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Huh I was wondering if there was any game that simulates that. I was surprised that even arma didn’t. It’s not something you’d likely notice unless you’ve spent time doing cqb style shooting drills with various optics so it makes sense it’d be overlooked even by experienced people who were in the military or gun nerds.

So no active goon squad squad? drat

Oh, yeah, Tarkov goes above and beyond when it comes to simulating gun poo poo. Every individual major component of every gun is modeled. Gas blocks, dust covers, scope rings, offset mounts, fuckin flashlight mounts, you name it. Limb damage is simulated, different aspects of torso/thorax damage are simulated, active electronic hearing protection/ambient noise amplification headsets are simulated and are pretty important. Every type different of cartridge under the sun for various rounds are available and you have to pack magazines in your inventory with what ammo you want to bring in.

It's a super fun game to play with a buddy or two but ridiculously difficult to get into solo and it really is the ultimate gun grognard game.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

quote:

Added Character Interaction with mud, snow, dirt, and water. These materials will now accumulate on characters’ uniforms.

gently caress yeah, I love this!

quote:

Optimised AUS knife texture usage from 32552kb to 5461kb.
Optimised Skorpo cubemap texture usage from 49152kb to 8192kb.
Optimised texture memory texture usage from 49152kb to 8192kb.
Optimised Yehorivka Macro Mask Resource Size.
Optimised several non-power 2 macro masks texture usage from 65536kb to 8192kb.
Optimised skyboxes for lower resolution monitors/lower screen percentages
Optimised particle motion vector compression to bc7 from vector displacement
Optimised vehicle reticles compression and mips.
Optimised F88, AUS Binos and SUSAT texture compression to bc7.

Sounds like some form of GFX optimisation, not sure what's the impact, but means they have been looking at it at least.

quote:

Fixed an issue which was affecting patch install times. This will only improve install times for patches which come after v3.0, and is not a complete solution to long install times. We will continue to investigate fixes for that issue.

Not a problem for me because I'm on an NVMe but perhaps might help those people that still are playing on a magnetic hard drive in 2022 and have been complaining about update speed.

quote:

Added new experimental gameplay scripting system. This is a basic system for creating quick gameplay scripts. For example, in v3.0 it is used on certain amphibious-focused Invasion map layers to enable or disable vehicle/infantry spawns after the first CP is captured.

Uh, this might be a neat addition for modders and server admins.

Can't wait to play this evening. Some pretty neat additions, maybe OWI has finally decided to put in real effort into this game?

Lifroc fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 22, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

We, uh, definitely did when I was in two years ago.

They’re much harder to use at close than holosight though, but they definitely work well enough, just much harder to keep the sight picture if you’re doing like rapid pairs at close range and stuff.

Right. That's my point entirely. A magnified optic like the 4x ACOG isn't ideal in this situation and changing it to a PiP Sight would make the game better.

Also, adding is marines are awesome and the APC does include the automatic 40mm Grenade Launcher. Holy gently caress that is going to be OP as hell. I really hope they re-work Insurgents and Militia sooner than later.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Anyhow,

My ACOG never came off the rifle. I kicked doors in with it in the tiniest shoothouses.

I kicked doors in in close quarters with an ACOG on an AK in Finnish Army, then with an ACOG on an M4 in the US Army.

It is not as good as holo or red dot in the closest of quarters, but any plus 30-50 meter distance becomes real nice with it. And never would I rather have iron sights.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 23, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Jarmak posted:

They aren't as good as red dots for close quarters, but you don't use iron sights in close quarters in real life either; at that point you're aiming down the barrel/looking over the top of the sights.

Hold up.

Would it be possible to simulate a non-scoped mode? Instead of right-click to use your optic you could have another key for your solider would merely look down the barrel. Or would that not be useful?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Hold up.

Would it be possible to simulate a non-scoped mode? Instead of right-click to use your optic you could have another key for your solider would merely look down the barrel. Or would that not be useful?

You sort of get this by knowing the center of your monitor, and some games give a mode where it zooms a bit and allows you to point shoot looking over your rifle. Squad would be a great fit for it.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Squad needs useable backup sights like classic Project Reality.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Right. That's my point entirely. A magnified optic like the 4x ACOG isn't ideal in this situation and changing it to a PiP Sight would make the game better.

It’s still significantly easier keeping a sight picture with an acog than iron sights in real life, unless the sights have such a ridiculous aperture that you may as well be just estimating with the front post anyway.

For both realism and gameplay purposes the ACOG should always be better than iron sights in any situation is what I’m trying to say, but yeah holo sights are generally underpowered in most games since the ability to keep a sight picture isn’t a simulated factor.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

i'd rather use iron sights to poke somebody's eye out

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
3.0 is nice, though there are some bugs present. Had some great rounds last night, and am hopeful those keep happening.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Uncle Spriggly posted:

3.0 is nice, though there are some bugs present. Had some great rounds last night, and am hopeful those keep happening.

Haven't played yet, how's the performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I don't think I took a performance drop from the previous patch, but I don't really monitor anything. It did seem like helos were rubber-banding pretty heavily but it could have just been the server.