Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

soy posted:

It's definitely planned, they already are working on models etc.

Eastern Europe next, with Russians and generic "Rebel Militia".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

The French Army! posted:

Any time frame for 50v50 or is that the current cap?

We've got some server perf issues. We can do it, but some things break as the server fps drops to 5-10fps.

Also, Hi. I'm one of the devs (RoyAwesome).

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

tehsid posted:

Hey! Thanks for making this fantastic game, and jumping in the thread! Can I ask what you do over there?

I'm a programmer. I've done things like Deployables, the Gamemode system, and now I'm working on Vehicles.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Dvsilverwing posted:

Tell us about rocketpod technicals!

They don't move yet.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Tab8715 posted:

Are the UE4 vehicle physics that bad that they need to be adjusted?

No, it's mostly the netcode.

They simply take the inputs, send it to the server, and wait until the server sends back the updated data. This obviously doesn't work in a higher lag situation. It also all runs on the server, which would devour server frames (something we need a lot of for 100 player servers).

Netcode in the engine is pretty hacked together or really tightly coupled for whatever they are using it for. Characters, for example, require knowledge of the Character Capsule to actually do client smoothing. You don't have a Character Capsule with vehicles, so we can't use that code.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Willie Tomg posted:

That's surmountable though, yeah? I know nothing of netcode in general let alone Squad's in particular.

Oh, of course. We are going to have vehicles by Early Access, it's top priority. There are no small tasks being done right now, only vehicles and steam integration :)

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Justin Tyme posted:

I feel like keeping the viewdistance limited/a "fog of war" would be the best bet since it will stay true to the proven formula of PR, because I don't see many ways around resorting to making engagement ranges be actually realistic. That doesn't always equal fun, though- I don't think having 2 KM engagement ranges for tanks or ATGMs or having CAS get blown up from a missile fired from several KM away would be a very good route to go. There's a reason PR is still being played after nearly a decade.

Honestly, I don't know if that will be a problem. I think it's a 'solve it when we get there' type of deal.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Alexander DeLarge posted:

How is the game right now? Is it unoptimized?

The Unreal Engine has issues with AMD processors, and we've got some work to do with Animations, but for the most part it runs fine. I get 60 fps on my aging gaming PC.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Midnight PST according to the forums

Yep, we'll be pressing the button at midnight PST.

It's a big green button. Very inviting. Makes you really want to press it. :)

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Justin Tyme posted:

Serious question: Will the devs consider crowdsourcing asset creation as the PR devs did for some stuff? For example, I really love Silent Eagle, and I'm sure there are plenty of Wehraboos that would be willing to make German army stuff. Like, maybe have a standard quality and let the community provide free work to greatly expand the game's content. Or are there legal implications to that since this is a retail game?

One of PR's greatest strengths is the diversity, but PR's had nine years to get here. That said, the quality level of your guys' work is astounding so it would take some talented community members to replicate it. I own a Bulgarian AK74 and your model/texture is the best representation I have seen of it in any game period.

Mod support yo. If you want to make a WW2 mod or whatever, you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Justin Tyme posted:

In this case yes, and the devs have said as much that realism takes second place to gameplay in certain situations. Having a little puff of blood/a little flinch/a little "urgh" is a necessary quality of life improvement. I don't care if it's unrealistic, it's better for gameplay's sake. It's a game, not a simulator, despite what the streamers and youtubers might say.

There is already a puff of blood. If you see it when you fire a shot, it means you dealt damage. If you hit them and don't get the splatter, you didn't deal damage.

It's currently buggy right now (and not a whole lot I can fix) where you can see a blood splatter when they hit you but don't deal damage, and when other people 'land' shots. But for cases where you are shooting, hitting, and seeing a blood splatter... that means you dealt damage and the server agreed.