Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone mention that Project Reality on BF2 is now stand alone and free? You just download it off the Project Reality website; does not require BF2 or a BF2 cdkey.

The insurgency mode is one of my favorite asymmetrical game modes implemented in an FSP. Managing to shoot down a helo from your technical or catch a bluefor convoy with a dump truck full of bombs is pretty intense. Constructing trash heap tire fire roadblocks is pretty chill too.

Also one if the only FPSs where you need to read the manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can anyone playing Squad comment on how the long range shooting works compared to BF2 PR?

I actually liked the cone of fire effect from BF2 that was carried into PR because it turned encounters between the opposing teams into actual shoot outs that developed over time instead of people instantly nailing each other from long range.

In Red Orchestra and Insurgency I had no hesitation pooping out of cover to zap a MG with my rifle because I could count on such precise aim/controls. In PR trying to pop up and get into a head to head shootout with an MG was death sentence. Although nailing dudes with the pixel accurate bolts in RO was indeed super awesome and rewarding, I hope that PR goes a different route.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 4, 2015

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Kind of wish the devs would consider some kind of 'free to play' class implemented like RO2's Rising Storm (anyone could play the most basic class for each team for free). I'm just hoping the game gets enough exposure/players when it comes out because I loved PR.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Tab8715 posted:

Game is awesome but it feels jittery? I can't tell if it a server-side issue but the game play isn't exactly smooth.

And not having sniper rifles for the US Side is a sin.

No, no, no, no. This isn't call of duty and hit indicators, kill indicators are the worst things to ever grace an FPS. If anything they need to add smoke and dust when weapons are fired or a projectile hits a surface.

He isn't asking for hit indicators (flashing around your crosshairs), he is asking for in game world feedback from models getting shot.

Example if they are hit in the shoulder they should flinch back on that shoulder and have maybe a tiny puff of blood/dirt. It looks strange if people have no reaction to being hit until they are dead and fall down. That's like a human shaped cardboard target.

Battlefront, battlefield 3 & 4 are great examples of this kind of hit reaction animation, although I imagine it's a lot of work.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Jimlit posted:

This sounds really lovely and I hope they don't do this.

What the vehicles and base building? It's definitely coming.

It was pretty core to the PR mod experience and is central to what made it special. Tons of games have huge maps where only 10% of the map sees real action, but with the dynamic base/FOB/respawn it directed action all over the PR maps.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 17, 2015

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can't wait to get the first proper city map (al bashra) in with this weekends update.

Little bummed that I don't think it launches with an insurgency mode variant but oh well. Now just bring back Ramiel and we're really talking.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Randler posted:

I returned to play Squad after skipping some versions.

Are the graphics still that "blurry" or is it something on my end that's screwed up?

The Anti Aliasing method they use I don't like, this is one of great few games I run without AA turned on.

I've heard it's the default unreal engine 4 AA method and they plan to implement better ones later on.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
So far I feel like Squad really does do a good job in the little niche it wants to fit in, between Red Orchestra and Arma (more on the Arma side though). It's definitely not what most people expect in a realistic first person shooter though, because the shooting part is really only like 25% of the skills needed. 75% is communication and general map awareness (of where you are and where the enemy is). Unless you are a pretty extreme pixel warrior trying to snipe it out without optics is a waste of time, much better to try and use terrain to flank and close distance while communicating with your teammates. It's also one of rare games where I really don't care if my team wins or loses, as long as my squad was functioning and communicating well it was a good round. It helps that the voice system is well designed and is one of the very few pc games where people will actually use the in game chat instead of 3rd party tools.

That said, I do hope they start to focus some more love on the insurgency modes/map because sometimes you do just want to get into loosely organized squads and get into constant shootouts.

For any new players don't feel like you need to always join 70+ player servers. Some of the best matches I've enjoyed were on servers with 20 people per team. All squads end up focused in on each other more and with less numbers of enemies it's easier for new players to avoid getting bushwhacked and flanked by previously unknown enemies (getting killed by enemies you can't see was the #1 problem when I was new).

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 28, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I doubt it's a major enough title to have grey market keys for cheap. It does go on sale frequently, although with the summer sale over I wouldn't expect to see it on sale again for 2+ months. Personally I think it's worth full price, no other title comes close to the perfect mix of realistic shooter but also easy to pop in and play anytime, that is also heavily team focused (opposed to scheduled maps on arma).

It is still early access which I believe steam gives you an unlimited* window to refund. So if your concerned about something in particular you should have plenty of time to try it out and see if it's worth 40 without waiting for a sale.

*not sure if early access is totally unlimited refund window but I refunded Steel Division when it was still in EA and I had 20 hours in game and had owned it for a month.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 11, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Seconding that I find Squad is a game about communication and location just as much as shooting dudes. All my most memorable games revolve around squad communication and teamwork. None where I recall a great round because I zapped a bunch of bad dudes. Most memorable game was probably an insurgency round on a euro server (I don't find ping to be an issue in this game) where our insurgency team includes 3 dudes who would sing Turkish marching songs in local as we patrolled around.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
PS are separate devs, I believe they are paying the Squad devs to use their framework and deliver ongoing support. It looks like it could be good, although I’m not sure what it really offers that Squad does not.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Tab8715 posted:

The new territory game mode is amazingly good and should be the default.

How’s it work? Is that the one without flags?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Glenn Quebec posted:

This game definitely needs a Commander role. I was surprised it doesn't.

They are adding commanders! I think it’s supposed to be in the update with helicopters for 1.0

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Love Stole the Day posted:

Commanders is a bad idea. It won't ruin the game but it'll be significantly less fun.

They worked well in project reality??

Although honestly it went un filled 50% of the time anyway

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Huh I thought there was a limit to the number of ieds per person, so I’ve never tried to just build a ton of them

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

There's a "find the cache" game mode but it's pretty rare to be played on any servers.

Yea that's INSURGENCY mode which has really been ignored for a long time, which sucks because in Project Reality it was like the best mode. It's on the road map to get some love and I hope it gets some work and servers start running it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
God yes please to revamping modes - insurgency was the best mode in PR, I wish it got some love in squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Update the loving insurgency mode you shitters!!! I’ll pay for it

It was the best mode in PR and they haven’t done jack poo poo with it and I’m very bitter about that!