Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

So it's an fps without the production values of battlefield that's less detailed than arma and can best be compared to a decade old half life mod?

Why would you play this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Orv posted:

In asked order; Who cares, it has all the possibility of ArmA's team coordination and play without all of the lovely fiddly bits and not really.

A somewhat more useful answer would be videos like this. They accomplished an absolute ton with the old BF2 engine, and if they can update those principles, and maybe get some new toys and fresh blood, it'd be really cool. They've already got dynamic base building in, and the shooting mechanics seem acceptable for this point. This poo poo is only ever going to be pretty niche, but there's a ton of people still playing PR after all these years, and god knows it'd be nice to be on something sort of modern, and not utterly bogged down by the ArmA engine and systems.

That is a good answer , i'll have to check out project reality.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

It's definitely a fun game and will go far but please please please RocketRaygun don't let the ultraspergs chip away at what made PR one of the longest-running mods in history. I bought this game for a modern PR, not for a round-based Arma, but I feel like there are portions of the community that don't "get" PR or what makes it what it is.

The kicker here is that you are the ultra sperg.

PR is good and everything for the 200 people that are still into it, but it's really impenetrable for everyone else.

If anything I'd stop making direct comparissons between the squad and PR, as you will subject yourselves to the rose colored disappointment of PR fanboys for breaking the mould in any way.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

The French Army! posted:

Anyone running this OK on an i3 or does it need four cores? I've got an R7 250 and a Haswell Pentium right now that aren't cutting it. GTX 950 on the way, not sure about a CPU though.

running fine on an i3 for me

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Dodoman posted:

I was interested in this game but after going through the past 7 pages you spergy spergs have put me off buying it completely.

It's currently a weird mix of mil-sim spergs from every color of the spectrum and Csgo trolls.

Every squad I've been in has had at least one grown man shouting military lingo nobody understands. On the occasions that two end up in a squad with each other the whole thing turns into a struggle over who's Tom Clancy power fantasy will be realised.

All that wierd bullshit aside though, the game is fun as hell and has some of the most satisfying gunplay I've experienced in a while.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Dvsilverwing posted:

Again, they plan to follow the same route as Project Reality with this, take a look at what they have. Even though say, Hamas and African Resistance Forces are both unconventional factions they have very different loadouts barring the standard AKM/AK74 sets that you will inevitably see with all of them.

And although it's not in-game, like I said, once you need an actual supply line with logistics vehicles like trucks or helicopters to drop supplies off to be able to build anything as a conventional faction while not needing them for the unconventional factions the entire dynamic of the game changes. It allows the unconventional factions to be a lot more dynamic and guerilla-like in the way they're fighting and moving around the map. Sitting on a road so you can ambush and destroy a logistics truck, or sitting in a clearing with a beat up Strela to shoot down a helicopter going to drop off supplies becomes something that's worthwhile to do and will stop the conventional team from setting up a FOB and moving around so easily. The game will become a lot more interesting once things like that are fleshed out.

This sounds really lovely and I hope they don't do this.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Captain Beans posted:

What the vehicles and base building? It's definitely coming.

It was pretty core to the PR mod experience and is central to what made it special. Tons of games have huge maps where only 10% of the map sees real action, but with the dynamic base/FOB/respawn it directed action all over the PR maps.

More the drastically different mechanics between sides for the sake of "realisim".

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Uncle Spriggly posted:

There's a new article out regarding future development:

https://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=90

Something about the "we wrote our own vehicle net protocol" announcement sounds suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

When is the patch to give the Taliban faction m16's and m249's. my realism demands it.