Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Luckslinger is a hip-hop infused spaghetti western action platformer developed by Duckbridge (Not to be confused with the in-game character). It started out as a prototype on Newgrounds as a test for the 'luck mechanic' (see below), and from there they continued to build upon that into the full game that is available on Steam and Humble Store.

In Luckslinger, luck is a collectable and usable whenever you please. For example, when the player is lucky enough, enemy bullets can be deflected, your trusty duck companion will grab some health for you, or platforms spawning just before you fall to your death. However, when you’re unlucky, bridges might collapse, rocks might fall on your head, or more enemies might spawn.

:siren:This game also has a demo you can check out!:siren:

The LP

This will be an informative LP with each update coming in two parts. The first being the town sections where I talk with everyone and do whatever activties that are available, and the second being the regular levels where we hunt down one of the six bandits who stole the luckcharms from the town of Clovercreek.

Videos

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #1

This first video goes over the basics as well as introduces us to the hub world we'll be coming back to a lot.

Luckslinger saddles up to go after the dynamite-crazy Sean.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 1, 2015

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
This actually looks really fun. I might have to pick this up sometime.

Nice touch, adding Duckbridge's thoughts in post!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Wow, why didn't I hear about this game before? Looks fun.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
This game looks really cool. I am eager to see how it plays out.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I decided to keep updates as two-parters (Half town/half bounty hunting) since I'm just used to posting updates that way. Anyways...

Update #2

Luckslinger meets someone new as well as fights an optional boss.

Afterwards, we go digging for gold in Goldberg.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Oh man, this game looks really good. :allears: I might have to pick it up just to see how well it plays

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Lucky I found this. Looking good so far.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The music is really reminding me of Paper Sorcerer for some odd reason.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The cart graveyard is amazing, nice one

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention there's a demo available here.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 2, 2015

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

Really diggin' your lp style sir. The game may not be as action-packed as Volgarr but it's got charm in spades.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #3

Who likes mini-games? I do.

After that the training wheels come flying off in Morton Express.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
L.S. is a man of varied talents.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

This game is so chill, I'm sure I'd play it myself if it wasn't a Steam exclusive.

So, thanks for LPing it! :)

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Sue posted:

This game is so chill, I'm sure I'd play it myself if it wasn't a Steam exclusive.

According to the humble store, they have a DRM Free version available. That might be worth looking into.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/luckslinger_storefront

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Since you are spending all your lucky bullets before bosses, what do the lucky bullets do when up against the ultra lucky field?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Major_JF posted:

Since you are spending all your lucky bullets before bosses, what do the lucky bullets do when up against the ultra lucky field?

They can pierce through the field; sorta overriding their luck with yours.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
So basically, negate each other, lucky bullets go on normal trajectory [but don't home in]? Nice.

Thanks for showing this, it's been an interesting watch.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I wonder how many western references I'm missing here. I know that the first boss is a reference to James Coburn's character in "Duck, You Sucker!" (aka A Fist Full of Dynamite) but I don't recognize the other bosses.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

Anything interesting happen if you take out Morton without killing his caretaker? I'm guessing you could toss dynamite at Morton or just jump over the caretaker if you wanted.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Sessile posted:

Anything interesting happen if you take out Morton without killing his caretaker? I'm guessing you could toss dynamite at Morton or just jump over the caretaker if you wanted.

I managed to do it by throwing my knife over the caretaker. All that happens is as soon as Morton's life is zero'd out the caretaker will just fall over and die.

Also I keep forgetting to mention that your knife is luck-proof and will always hit the boss regardless.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

duckbridge is good

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Sorry it took so long to get this update up. I'm currently nursing a cold. Anyways...

Update #4

More people are cropping up to see our main man LS.

After that LS and DB travel to the middle of *cussing* nowhere to gamble.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
What up, Luckslinger?

I dig this game's style. Such a weird mix of styles, it's amazing it works so well.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I really love this game's soundtrack. Really cool style.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Hey everybody, I still don't have an update ready yet, but I'm feeling better so I should be able to get back on the saddle and have something ready this weekend.

Anyways the reason I'm bumping the thread is that the Steam sales are happening and wouldn't you know Luckslinger is on sale for 5.19! (Soundtrack is also on sale for 1.59!)

Also happy turkey day.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 26, 2015

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

We're back! No cold's gonna keep me from hunting down the last two bandits.

Update #5

The relationship between Duckbridge and Ducksworth blooms before our very eyes. Meanwhile, Sheriff takes a major chill pill.

Afterwards, LS traverses a warzone.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Would having full luck affect his coin flip at all?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Crane Fist posted:

Would having full luck affect his coin flip at all?

I'm not exactly sure, because there is such a thing as you getting so lucky that the boss kills himself before the fight even starts which are tied to the '?' achievements. (I have footage of this happening once with Sean.)

But whether or not your luck affects the chances of that happening is currently unknown. Even if it did the chances must be super low because I have 39 hours on this game and only have it happen to Sean and Frank. I almost assume that you have to beat a boss X number of times to trigger it.

My guess for Stephen's lucky kill is that he flips the coin it lands on heads and he kills himself. Not sure what Morton's or Blondie's lucky kills would entail though.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I too often wonder what it would be like if ducks had arms.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

I too often wonder what it would be like if ducks had arms.

I would think it would make it easier to type.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Sick kid has good taste in anime.

I've been watching from the start, just wanted to say this is a good LP.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Happy Holidays everyone! We're overdue for a new update and I'm here to deliver.

Update #6

Welcome back to Luckslinger Pro Skater!

Welcome back to Luckslinger Pro ICE Skater!

There is only one more update after this. What could it be? How will the story end?? Stay tuned.

:siren:Also before I forget, Luckslinger is on sale for 2.59! (Soundtrack is also on sale for 0.79!):siren:

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 27, 2015

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm happy to hear Duckbridge's family is expanding, and also that he's getting canonized in the Church of Luck.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

The artist for this game confirms who was the guy in the bathtub in Video 10.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 27, 2015

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I find it strange the loading screen right after you kill the old lady tells you to smile. Good job? You killed a grandma?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

bbcisdabomb posted:

I find it strange the loading screen right after you kill the old lady tells you to smile. Good job? You killed a grandma?

She's an evil grandma. Massacred a small village on her way to the showdown.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

bbcisdabomb posted:

To be fair, that loading screen was probably referring to a hip-hop song titled "Smile!".

Also that grandma had a cane-gun; you know she's done her fair share of blasting folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

This is it! The end is here! Thanks for watching everybody!!

Update Lucky #7

LS drops off Paco and gets ready to leave for his next adventure.

Here's a bonus video that covers some extra stuff I didn't get to talk about.

• Locked thread