Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The story in this game is the one part that really stands out as being a completely amateur effort. The gameplay and music and visuals all live up to the best of the era they take inspiration from, but the story is just really clunky and poorly executed. I pretty much just stick to Classic Mode when I play this and it really doesn't feel like I'm missing out on much. The levels themselves do a better job at creating a narrative and atmosphere than the actual cutscenes. I'm definitely on board with them editing out the extraneous fluff.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

All of them?

Eh the more tertiary side characters don't have quite as much an obvious parallel from Sonic. The main cast though is pretty clearly Not-Sonic, Not-Tails, Not-Cream, Not-Saturday-Morning-Robotnik, etc.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The gameplay will probably still be good so I consider it good news.
And the story has pretty much nowhere to go but up

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I never got the combat complaints people had about this game. You can just run pass most non-boss enemies (thanks to the lack of contact damage) and the game fully expects you to do this a lot of the time. And Lilac's moveset is pretty well-geared towards dispatching enemies efficiently.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SupSuper posted:

If you're expected to skip them why put them there in the first place? :shrug:

They are obstacles that you need to navigate around or through. You either kill them quickly and efficiently or you bypass them while avoiding their attacks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So yeah, go ahead and throw all semblance of tonal consistency out the window at this point. Good thing Classic Mode is still around!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Great Joe posted:

My associates tell me that the latest plot section was about torturing a teenager.

ew

I dunno why the teenager part is the most important part but yes it is about horribly torturing and disfiguring a cutesy anime furry girl for some reason. And then she heals in a magical bathtub in the next scene rendering that completely pointless so...
Listen releasing your first real attempt at writing to the masses is just a really bad idea okay?

corn in the bible posted:

That dragon boss is godawful, seriously

Yeah, I generally like the bosses but this one kinda sucks. Too much waiting, his weak points are too annoying to hit, too much reliance on boosting in order to dodge pretty much all of his attacks, it's pretty messy.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 20, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The disappearing blocks are indeed done quite well. They cycle quickly and are more a test of reaction time than having to memorize a puzzle, and Lilac's boost allows you to jump right back up at a later point in the section after being dropped down into the "huge gently caress-off swarm of enemies" penalty area below.

Also double jumping to spin through a swarm of flies killing dozens of them feels really cool and satisfying even if you will inevitably take a hit or two doing that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Katsuma posted:

It... kind of is, though? I mean, Freedom Planet's whole identity is in its story. Without this hamfisted, poorly executed, strangely edited, but earnestly told story, Freedom Planet wouldn't be Freedom Planet. It would just be "Go right and Double Jump into Bosses Sometimes: The Game."

It's fine if you don't like it, though.

Really because I only ever play Classic Mode and the game has plenty of personality without the dumb amateur story.
It's got style, cool setpieces, great music, varied environments, fast pacing...
You even get a handful of hammy one-liners from Brevon for good measure, torture not included!

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 23, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Great Joe posted:

Attention, people who click on "Story": I don't ever want to meet any of you and you are bad people.

You shouldn't judge people who can't bring themselves to look away from the trainwreck.
Also everything else aside, Brevon is deliciously hammy and a pretty fun dude to have around.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

corn in the bible posted:

i think the next level is where i gave up. the levels just get worse and worse and are never really fun again

I really like the levels after this one. :shrug:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Use your stupid dragon dash it makes you invincible to lasers.
If you're ever spending an extended period of time not dragon dashing you are playing this game the wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dr. Buttass posted:

For real: this level didn't need to be four levels. It didn't even need to be two levels. They could have been just fine with it being one level. There's tripping at the finish line, and then there's trying to make it into a big Lifetime movie production where you inspiringly finish the race anyway

Eh, I just see it as doing the Wily's Fortress thing.

• Locked thread