Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tenzarin posted:

In the movie, he never explains how hes off it, it was really left open to how he was still on it.

It's not explicitly explained, but it's very heavily implied.

IIRC FBI guy is talking to Morra and is like "we're onto your production labs and shutting them down" and Eddie is like "Cool, whatever, don't need them anymore anyway :smug:"

I remember quite clearly getting the vibe that Eddie had reverse-engineered the pill and made a permanent treatment coming across as the implication of that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah. I haven't been able to watch the show yet, and while I can kind of get behind a bit of a retcon to explain why everyone isn't on NZT permanently, it was definitely not a thing that was ever in the movie. Originally Morra was simply permanently on it/rewired, full stop.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

After catching the first four episodes I am really digging this show. The main dude really sells being a regular loser when off of NZT, and the chemistry between Brian and Rebecca is pretty good.

I think the pacing has been pretty good so far, only the second episode was arc-free (but it was also setting up the FBI and Brian's place in it), all the other ones were pretty heavily on over-arcing plot stuff. I hope they can keep up this pace and not resort of mystery-of-the-week crap.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Accretionist posted:

He seemed quick to believe Sans about being Morra's man.

Well when Morra basically tells you he is going to be watching you, then your computers gently caress up when trying to Google him (repeatedly, wtf dude even off NZT you should be able to put that together after the first time), then your dad's nurse turns out to be Morra's personal one and gives you a thinly-veiled threat out in the open, then when some random dude comes up and says he's with Morra him being a completely other dude trying to capitalize on the situation after somehow finding out about it actually seems like the less likely thing. To me at least.

Was it Sans? I thought it was Sands?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

This was a pretty good episode. This series is turning out a lot better than I would have expected from the premise.

Yeah, I am really liking the Brian/NZT Brian divide. It'll be interesting to see if they keep working at cross-purposes in the future.

Sands' reaction at his effigy was pretty great too.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

How can Brian be mad at himself for Chris's death? If the dip poo poo would have stuck to the plan he'd be alive. This is no way Brians fault. The kid killed himself.

Brian is mad that he wasn't smart enough to anticipate/plan for Chris' reaction. It's not reasonable, but I can totally see Super Smart Dude thinking that way.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

spookygonk posted:

I can't believe how much of Ferris Bueller's Day Off was in that episode.

Was coming here to post this. The last episode was magical.

They even managed to find a white leather jacket with fringes for 'Sloan'! :neckbeard:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Feenix posted:

I'm not painting this with positivity or negativity (still completely neutral on it) but I find it interesting how "off-NZT" Brian is peppier and cleverer than he was early on.

Wonder if that's plot or just "good-for-tv" Formula?

Wouldn't surprise me if he just has a better attitude now. He was pretty much a loser who had given up on life in the premier - now, even when he's not on NZT, he has proof that he can be more than he thought he could. Belief in yourself is a powerful thing.

I'm an episode behind though, last one I saw was the amazing Ferris Bueller homage, gonna catch the new one when I get home. :3:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

I did notice that the lighting has gotten more consistently bright - early on it was a stark difference between the dark off-NZT world and how much lighter everything for on NZT. I wonder how much they'll continue to play with that difference going forward.

Talking out of my rear end here, but what if prolonged use of NZT has lasting effects? Like, normally you're dead in a year so nobody has noticed, but since Brian is getting shots to avert that he'll be able to benefit from NZT rewiring his brain in the long-term? Maybe not to intrincially NZT levels, but like you said, the lighting is generally used to show how his mental ability/state is, and I noticed it trending lighter as well...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I can't believe back on page 1 I was worrying that this show would tank. Holy poo poo this is one of the best shows on TV right now IMO.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The 23 Jump Street ending montage was amazing.

I wonder if parody/homage episodes will be a continuing thing? With this and the Ferris Bueller episode back to back... :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Sober posted:

Clay Davis talking to himself while on NZT was pretty fuckin amazing though.

Oh yeah. Plus "What, it's not pink? I'm not pink am I?" :3:

Whatever Morra's endgame is, it sure as hell isn't benign. Unless we want to speculate that Sands mailbombing that doctor was off-book.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kegslayer posted:

Amateur paper mache enthusiast.

I love that the little clay dolls/figures he likes to make are a recurring thing.

They could have easily been a one-off joke for his Sands diorama, but instead became the most adorable little idiosyncrasy.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I was way too entertained at the scene early in the episode when the pharmacy lady called Mike by his name but it was bleeped out and her mouth covered over so you couldn't tell what it was.

And it only got funnier when we found out what Ike's name is at the end.

The scene when Brian figures out that Casey is on NZT was super-edgy too. Casey just couldn't hide that poo poo, staring death eyes all day erryday...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

... I finally put together why Boyle seems so familiar. He was Calder Michaels on Covert Affairs (:gay:)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tortolia posted:

but the show avoided the usual trap of making the supporting characters a bunch of morons who aren't able to function without the protagonist.

Idunno, there's Mike and Ike.

I mean, they're not shown to actually be incompetent, they just haven't really had a chance to be competent yet?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I thought Mike was super competent and top of his class, but Ike was a screwup who barely made the academy. I think they mentioned that one episode.

Right, but they haven't actually done anything in the show, for the most part. We're told that Mike is a great agent and chafing at having to babysit Brian, but that's all the character has done so far.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Ravane posted:

I know the victims were cuddled with their own unicorn. "hug” = rape, “cuddle” = strangle, “sodapop” = blood, and “cool dinosaur toys” = fingers. Unicorn has to be something these women possess, but something that the killer may also possess. Since it's strangulation, I was thinking hands maybe?

Like maybe he forced the victims to strangle themselves? I don't really know, haha.

I was thinking it was intestines.

I mean it's something weird and gross, she was stabbed 40 times, probably some of that was hanging out by that time.

But that whole gimmick was just amazing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Digital Jedi posted:

Mike and Ike as back up dancers were perfect.

This show might be the most fun show on TV for me.

:agreed:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I want a Limitless/PoI crossover to show that they take place in the same universe SO BADLY

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

There's time for you to catch up on PoI before the next (last? :() season gets here!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Something I noticed at the tail end of this last episode:

In the scene where Rebecca finds Brian's letter, when she's leaving the room the camera's POV is framed by a pair of little figures that Brian likes to make.

I am about 95% sure those figures are Morra and Sands.

Even when going rogue, Brian left hints for Rebecca. :aaaaa:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Shuffle posted:

http://i.imgur.com/C7eLwAx.png

looks like the right one has black hair which would make it Mike and Ike

Well, drat.

I thought I had caught a cool little easter egg/hint. :negative:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

DivisionPost posted:

That was loving great.

That was just loving great.

Gotta put something here so this isn't an emptyquote.

Although for some reason I thought this was the finale, which was kind of bittersweet (if the show wasn't renewed then we just go with Brian being sent home?) but yay it wasn't!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Shakugan posted:

I'm interested to know if Brian's sudden flashes of insight while off NZT will ever be developed upon. Lots of people (myself included) were annoyed when they "retconned" Eddie needing to take NZT, I'd find it very satisfying if it turns out that taking more and more NZT eventually gets you to the point (as long as you're immune to side effects) that it's permanent, and he's just bullshitting everyone about needing it or immunity shots.

I kind of felt like the perma-immunity shot closed the weird loop that the initial retcon formed.

Even though the end of the movie implied that Morra had perma-NZT, it also kind of works if you look at it as if Morra instead developed the perma-immunity shot for himself (and didn't share it with anyone, obviously) and is just popping pills twice a day or whatever. In this scenario, Piper merely re-created the solution that Morra already found.

It also makes Morra less of an overpowered antagonist; if Brian and company can manage to cut off his supply of NZT somehow, they can force him back into normal-intelligence mode - immunity is no good if you can't get the pills.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Maybe in 30 years we can see a limitless reboot that doesn't suck.

We just got that and it might get canceled anyway.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Brian take an NZT pill and figure out how to get the show uncanceled

:negative:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Oroborus posted:

According to screen rant Limitless was the highest rated show to get cancelled this year having a 2.2 in 18-49 and 9.8 million total viewership. I am not great with what ratings mean but isn't that fairly good for a new show? Was the show extremely expensive to make for some reason?

TV Execs loooooove to cancel good shows and renew poo poo. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

See as mentioned Forever gets canceled but Scorpion is picked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Sober posted:

Forever I can see why it was cancelled cause it was from WB on ABC, and maybe not entirely on brand as everything else but Limitless man.

Like literally Code Black which is also owned by ABC and had worse ratings than Limitless was renewed. Or I'm pretty sure the CM spinoff though also wholly owned had worse ratings and was renewed.

I guess Limitless just wasn't on brand enough. As in stuffy white people being professionals solving grizzly crimes or stuff.

Things would be so much better if people actually made TV shows in order to make good TV shows, and not to sell ad time.

Basically, gently caress capitalism.

• Locked thread