Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'm not a writer, and I haven't tried to write anything since senior year of high school. I took technical writing in college and I was an engineering major. That said, I wrote a short story and I'd like to get feedback, but mostly I'd just like to share it. I don't feel comfortable sharing it with anyone I know because its pretty dark and would make them worry. I struggle with depression but I promise I'm not suicidal.

The last dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Beggar
Dec 9, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You didn't knock down your wife and child did you?

I don't have a detailed critique for you, but here are a few comments.

1. Avoid the pluperfect, e.g. I had turned. It slows down your narrative and takes away from the immediacy of the action. Telling me that a flash a lightning had just lit the sky is far less engrossing than telling me that a flash of lightning lit the sky.

2. You tell the reader an awful lot about the emotions and feelings that your protagonist is experiencing, but it would be good to express these in a more subtle manner (the whole balance showing with telling problem).

3. It gets a bit garbled at points.

4. The characters don't have much flesh to them, the protagonists arc doesn't really exist, and there is no tension.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
The first paragraph turned me off. The tense is really tortured, just to avoid showing us an actual cool exciting thing - a lightning strike in broad daylight.

You should start this by dropping in right as the lightning strikes.

• Locked thread