Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
thread delivers

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I'll take number 5, please.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why is he such a weepy motherfucker, anyway?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Boner man is incapable of happiness

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

He sure does cry a lot.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

PT6A posted:

Why is he such a weepy motherfucker, anyway?

the franks thought a man who cried often was possessed of a noble and virtuous soul. Charlemagne was much admired for the way he wept openly at moments of high emotion or drama.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
I'd cry a lot too if I had to deal with the House on a daily basis.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Jan 23, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I don't think he's really crying.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Though I could be wrong being made being made speaker of the house would be a huge life achievement for anyone.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Awful case of the booze sweats.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
He's crying because he's resigning at the end of October.....

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Jan 23, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Please screen cap all the pictures of him crying today please and thank you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Yep. Not just stepping down as Speaker...full on quitting the House. Wow.

Why? Isn't he the majority leader? That would seem to be a pretty comfortable position.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

PT6A posted:

Why? Isn't he the majority leader? That would seem to be a pretty comfortable position.

lol the republican majority is a mess thanks to the Tea party

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

PT6A posted:

He's been hamstrung, and despite being HOuse Majority leader in an overwhelming sea of Republicans and virtually no viable Democratic opposition, Obama has always gotten a good chunk of what he wanted despite the GOP pledge to deny him everything :smug:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Is party discipline not a thing in the US? Why are so many politicians willing to compromise their career prospects by going against the higher-ups in the party? Why doesn't he just expel these cantankerous retards from caucus and then support someone else as the candidate in their district in the next election?

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Boehner must 've seen this thread and decided to pack it in.
At least now he gets to spend some quality time with his family whisky.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

Is party discipline not a thing in the US? Why are so many politicians willing to compromise their career prospects by going against the higher-ups in the party? Why doesn't he just expel these cantankerous retards from caucus and then support someone else as the candidate in their district in the next election?

They built a movement based on racism and detachment from reality and now, pardon the cliche', the inmates are running the asylum.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

PT6A posted:

The Speaker of the House is above the Majority Leader, and it got less comfortable with all the flames from primary season w/r/t Planned Parenthood

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

As bizarre as it sounds, Citizens United and stricter ethics rules have both dramatically eroded leadership's powers over their members. When any random billionaire can personally fund a Congressman's reelection leadership can't cut off funding, and when you can't earmark millions in random knickknacks in a Congressman's district leadership loses its biggest carrot.

Boehner, if he wanted to survive the leadership challenge next month, was going to have to do it on borrowed Democratic support as he didn't have 218 Republicans at his back anymore. Pelosi bailing out Boehner would break his gavel just as effectively as him losing because it would mean he'd lose effective control of the caucus.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

PT6A posted:

Party discipline is very much a thing in the US: see, for example, the current Democratic nomination contest and where the party endorsements have gone.

However, it is best to think of American political parties as loosely coupled confederacies of smaller parties that would otherwise form coalitions in, e.g., a parliamentary system. In that sense "party discipline" means something entirely different.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PT6A posted:

Because tea party fanatics now have lots of billion dollar sugar daddies to fund them and they also did really well enough in elections to form their own GOP faction.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
A Swampy Boehner

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PT6A posted:

Are you playing dumb? Remember when Redford quit because her caucus wouldn't support her?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
It's funny because when I was in civics in high school, the received wisdom was that the Republicans were an orderly, lockstep bunch, and the Democrats (by virtue of their bigger tent) were perpetually lacking in party discipline. Now most Democrats are more than happy to vote for Clinton, Sanders, or Biden, broadly agree on what the party's platform should be, and have worked well with each other and with the president to stymie Republican designs for years. The Republicans, meanwhile, yeesh *tugs at collar*

Thump! posted:

He sure does cry a lot.
yeah

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

Are you playing dumb? Remember when Redford quit because her caucus wouldn't support her?

Has Boner been nearly as scandal-plagued as she was? From what I've heard, he's been an obstinate jackass to everything the Democrats want to do, which I assume is what his party asked of him, no?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This video shows what happened at Voter Values Summit when it was announced he is resigning

https://twitter.com/chapotts/status/647410157094326272

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This video shows what happened at Voter Values Summit when it was announced he is resigning

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

please stop making me side with the orange boner man tea party people

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PT6A posted:

Has Boner been nearly as scandal-plagued as she was? From what I've heard, he's been an obstinate jackass to everything the Democrats want to do, which I assume is what his party asked of him, no?

Well, no. Every single time, Boehner would eventually cave and pass a "clean" bill with Democratic votes. When push came to shove, he always chose governing over his caucus' right-wing.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
RIP congressman crying cheeto

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Obama is horrible but his was a really good joke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keXa2ZeR7Jk

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

Well, no. Every single time, Boehner would eventually cave and pass a "clean" bill with Democratic votes. When push came to shove, he always chose governing over his caucus' right-wing.

He couldn't control his caucus so he couldn't deliver the votes to make good on any deals he made with the Democrats. Then he would pander to his base until time ran out, and he'd finally agree to something worse than he had originally in the ensuing panic.

He needed to either go in full opposition mode or full governing mode. By trying to do both he ended up doing neither.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

He couldn't control his caucus so he couldn't deliver the votes to make good on any deals he made with the Democrats. Then he would pander to his base until time ran out, and he'd finally agree to something worse than he had originally in the ensuing panic.

He needed to either go in full opposition mode or full governing mode. By trying to do both he ended up doing neither.

Due to the GOP civil war he pretty much had no luck whipping all the different factions together into a strategy.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
:boehner:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
cant wait for the GOP to break up

• Locked thread