Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

How to Get Away with Murder is the story of Annalise Keating (played by Emmy-winner Viola Davis), a ruthless defense attorney who also teaches Law at the nearby college. She brings in a group of students from her class as interns to help her with her case load. At the same time, a murder of a student kicks off a chain of events that ties everyone together to… well, get away with murder. It doesn’t go well.

LAST SEASON ON HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER

Lila Stangard is found dead, and the two main suspects are Wes’s neighbor Rebecca and Annalise’s husband Sam. While Wes gets the team to help get Rebecca acquitted, Rebecca knows and Annalise finds out that Sam was having an affair with Lila. As prosecution gets closer Rebecca tries to prove Sam’s guilt, which leads to an altercation where Wes eventually kills Sam with the class trophy.

Wes takes control and under the guidance of Annalise who walks in on Sam’s body they attempt to dispose of the evidence. Eventually the body is found and in order to protect her students Annalise frames hot Detective Nate.

The students, except for perpetually-excluded Asher, eventually crack under the strain and kidnap Rebecca to find out the truth. In flashbacks the audience learns that Sam found out that Lila was pregnant and had Frank murder her, although Frank is the only one alive that knows the truth. Rebecca texts a friend for assistance, and later appears to escape although both Annalise and Frank know that someone in the house killed her…

Meanwhile:
- Connor falls in love but his boyfriend finds out that he’s HIV+
- Laurel is sleeping with Frank, you go girl did you see him shirtless in the first episode of this season :nyd:
- Michaela’s perfect life is falling apart, I can’t remember if the wedding is still on or not, probably not
- Asher and Bonnie are hooking up

Season Two reveals Rebecca’s murderer in the first episode and we’re just waiting for some of these secrets to come into the light. Meanwhile there’s a new case that looks as if it will take up most of the season and Nate is still under arrest for Sam’s murder.

WHY SHOULD I WATCH THIS SHOW?

The main reason is Viola Davis. She kills every scene she’s in, and when she had a chance to act against someone of substance you see fireworks. Seriously, go watch the end of 1x04. loving riveting.

The other positive is that while it has been a bit procedural the overarching story has been good. They’re doing a limited number of episodes again so they’re not going to be able to stretch this out for months. They went into the final episode of last season with multiple plausible answers to “Who killed Lila” and pulled it off, so they’ve earned my trust for this year. We’ll see how it goes.

Oh yeah, I didn’t even mention the cray cray that happened in the premiere… but that’s in the next post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Okay, episode 1:

- BONNIE KILLED REBECCA WHAAA?
- ANNALISE MADE OUT WITH FAMKE JANNSEN WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA??? :supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:
- Asher is being blackmailed by Nate's prosecutor
- drat, Annalise's clubbing outfit. (No going to a dance club, not literally clubbing someone... with this show you never know...)

We'll see how long it takes for them to catch up to the the 2 Month Flashforward, I expect it will be by the end of November sweeps.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I liked the first season when I watched it but in hindsight, the story was a bit of a mess saved only by Viola Davis' acting. It would have been better if there was an actual premeditated murder rather than it being a complete accident.

I'm not sure they can repeat the same formula with this one since its unlikely Davis will actually die and it feels like they've played out all the dynamics in the study group already. They've played out the trust/distrust issues in the group so many times and aside from Wes, Connor and Asher, the rest of the gang are pretty unlikable.

I'm not quite sure how they're going to drag this out for another 15 episodes much less another season without jumping into Scandal levels of craziness.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I've never seen this show, but this morning I read an article on the Onion AV Club saying that the new season is "queerer." I guess my question is, how queer was the first season? Like, I need a baseline level of queerness before I can assess whether the second season being "queerer" is a good or bad thing. So, is the first season queer like Queer as Folk or queer like Glee? I could handle a slight jump in queerness in Glee, but if its queerer than Queer as Folk, I don't know, that may be too queer for me.

Thanks for any help.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I was also happy that they brought up PrEP so simply in the episode, the more people that learn about it the better.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

I've never seen this show, but this morning I read an article on the Onion AV Club saying that the new season is "queerer." I guess my question is, how queer was the first season? Like, I need a baseline level of queerness before I can assess whether the second season being "queerer" is a good or bad thing. So, is the first season queer like Queer as Folk or queer like Glee? I could handle a slight jump in queerness in Glee, but if its queerer than Queer as Folk, I don't know, that may be too queer for me.

Thanks for any help.

Queerer than Glee, less than QaF*, with '10s mentality so gay sex actually gets real screen time.
I think the count is a gay guy(in a relationship and slept around early on) and a bisexual woman, plus a lesbian(?)

*QaF was basically Sex in the City that focused on gay guys instead of just being for them so I'm not really sure you can compare the two

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I'm enjoying the growing friendship between Michaela and Connor. Both of them need each other as a release valve.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

They should go back a case of the week if they can't make longer cases entertaining.
Last week: Dead parents and phony evidence introduced by Annalise.
This week: Dead aunt and phony evidence introduced by cops.

The siblings are sleeping together, right?

Nate managed to beat the charges without introducing the photos of Frank planting evidence from episode 6. Good for him.

All the personal drama is entertaining other than Asher being clueless. That should build to something now that he's dating a murderer.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

All the personal drama is entertaining other than Asher being clueless. That should build to something now that he's dating a murderer.

Asher's pretty much going to remain clueless until the end of the series :colbert:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So everyone agrees the overarching mystery isn't as good as last seasons right.

I'm also calling the siblings and the dead parents where sleeping together.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Just got around to watching last week's episode (baseball got in the way) and I'm definitely enjoying this Season a lot more than last year. The overarching plot isn't that strong yet, but I like the camaraderie between everyone (until the secrets are revealed at some point).

Poor Michaela, go get you that orgasm.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Michaela joked that Catherine rode horses. This is blatant foreshadowing that she was Saddlebacking.

Mean Girls case was the most entertaining bunch of idiots since the hunter who confessed to killing his first wife to prove he didn't kill the second.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I'm impressed with number of plot twists they can manage in an episode while having the overall plot work. I'm glad there's another year of this show, but I'm horrified to think of what a third season will look like.

Debonhare
Jan 15, 2004
I like rice.
My working theory is that the gang somehow manages to kill that prosecutor and Annalise forces them to orchestrate her (Annalise's) shooting to make it out to be self-defense or something so everyone gets off scott free. It's really the only way I see things working out for future seasons. I also think the Asian sister killed the parents alone, but it seems like the obvious choice at this point, so who knows.

abgushte badamjan
Apr 4, 2009

for butts??????
It was the maid in the library with the revolver

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

We're definitely missing a piece of the puzzle at this point, but since the time gap was only four weeks I expect we're going to fill in the gaps soon. I just hope they don't string us along until the end of Sweeps.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
While I appreciate Connor getting some self-awareness, it's a dumb move going against Annalise. He should've just transferred universities if he wanted out.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ok, I just started watching the first season of this, but holy poo poo I hate Micheala, I'm sorry. Does she ever calm down and stop being so annoyingly neurotic? If it's a character thing where they are foreshadowing a breakdown or something, do the writers ever tone it down?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Michaela chills out but is always kind of like that compared to the many sociopaths and agreeable types on the show.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Yeah, I like the premise and story, and the characters most of the time, but I don't know if I'm just in a bad mood or something because I always get really annoyed and skip scenes when people start freaking out over stupid poo poo.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

That's not a bad way to go through the first season, especially via binge.

I think Michaela's my favorite of the K5 at this point, but that didn't happen until this season.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Andrew_1985 posted:

While I appreciate Connor getting some self-awareness, it's a dumb move going against Annalise. He should've just transferred universities if he wanted out.

I'm pretty sure they are still in the first semester of law school, he can't even transfer yet.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

OH GOD BONNIE :gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk:

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Pinwiz11 posted:

Makes Annalise's treatment of her seem so much worse.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Pinwiz11 posted:

I really didn't need to see that or Asher's face when he saw it..

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This show rules and holy poo poo you do NOT want to be on Frank's bad side.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Using that video to manipulate Asher is the worst.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

How many people here thought Rebecca was gonna be in the trunk instead of the meth????

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

mattfl posted:

How many people here thought Rebecca was gonna be in the trunk instead of the meth????

That was my initial thought, but there's no way Frank gives the police the body.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I totally thought that at first, even though it would have been a bad move on Frank's part.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

:derp:
SECRET BABY

The next two weeks are going to be crazy...

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Oh god, Oliver & Connor, that guy knows where you are!

Also, Annalise calling everyone Garbage, trololo.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

It's taking all of my willpower to not watch the previews.

OLIVER!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohdear:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The preview didn't have anything specific.

The coffee date scheme was bizarre. The goal was DNA not a meeting. Make the date, stand him up, and snag the cup later. They could even grab something from his apartment while he's at work.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Annalise is supposed to be evil, right? Because she seems pretty evil. Everyone in this show seems rather loathsome, really, and I'm not sure what the hell to make of Annalise since she seems to do nothing but cover up other people's murders. Her trans friend corkscrews her husband's head and they both laugh merrily as friends as they conclude that the murder will never be discovered.

Plus she tries to apologize to a guy she set up as a patsy for her husband's murder with loving peach cobbler. She's a sociopath surely.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
In this last episode, did they imply that Wes is Annalise's long lost son or something? Had we already been told that she gave up a child? So much crazy happens on this show it's hard to keep the details straight.

When she was talking to her ex-girlfriend lawyer it seemed like she was telling her that she's protecting Wes because "it's him." I'm guessing "him" is a child she gave up for adoption. I don't know. This show is so hard to follow but I love every crazy minute of it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Stabitha posted:

In this last episode, did they imply that Wes is Annalise's long lost son or something? Had we already been told that she gave up a child? So much crazy happens on this show it's hard to keep the details straight.

When she was talking to her ex-girlfriend lawyer it seemed like she was telling her that she's protecting Wes because "it's him." I'm guessing "him" is a child she gave up for adoption. I don't know. This show is so hard to follow but I love every crazy minute of it.

Pretty much, they are going full daytime soup opera with secret babies.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Bring on the crazy, I'm ready. :munch:

e: WHAT? Didn't expect that Sinclair twist.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 20, 2015

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Ok so just to be clear, Annalise is the main antagonist right? I'm having a hard time figuring out who I'm supposed to root for in this show because everyone is so unlikable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

The Kingfish posted:

Ok so just to be clear, Annalise is the main antagonist right? I'm having a hard time figuring out who I'm supposed to root for in this show because everyone is so unlikable.

She is also the protagonist. And the conflict, and the obstacle to overcome, and possibly the setting

• Locked thread