Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Let me think of a good thing to say.

Ah. Hrm

I liked the character design for Dunham's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Homer the Narcoleptic was one of those things that has been kicking around forever according to the commentaries on the old episode. Also, i really liked Dunham's voice acting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Knormal posted:

I still like The Simpsons, but yeah, not one of their best episodes.

It's not as bad as the Gaga Episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cacator posted:

A Totally Fun Thing that Bart Will Never Do Again, Gone Maggie Gone, Behind the Laughter, the Book Job are all generally held in relatively high regard, and I have a soft spot for Treehouse of Horror XX, Midnight Towboy and Marge Gamer.

I'm also a big fan of That 90s show, but I can see how 20 year olds might not have enjoyed it, thinking "oh great an episode full of the poo poo my dad likes".

Honestly, I think the only reason the Simpsons would go off the air is if one of the main cast died.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was thinking if the writers are any good, the whole "Smithers comes out!" thing should be greated by "okay, thats fine, but Barts been drafted!".

Because in 2015, is it shocking to have a gay character, especially someone who has been known to be gay for what, 20 years, be revealed as such? They probably won't and we'll get a worse version of Homers Phobia.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Echo Chamber posted:

This is the episode is the bare minimum of what I'd wish every modern Simpsons episode would have.

Why couldn't this have been the season premiere?

Didn't have a celeb guest voice?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea that episode was, decent for this era. I liked the mystery and the kids investigating, and the dog with its head stuck in the jar was pretty funny. Also those stupid plugs are gross and dumb, and I love the visual of the kids using it to restrain the whole foods guy.

Weird usage of the True Detective theme though.

I swear, all the decent Simpsons writing is in Tapped Out. The halloween event just dropped and its way better written than the show.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 7, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jack Gladney posted:

Also how is Marge's father a character that's never been on the show before? Seems perfect for jokes suited to the lazy writing of the last 15 years.

He was in the navy, and his excessive swearing almost cost him a job as a baby photographer.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

greatn posted:

Was he the subject of a Paul Anderson film?

I don't think he hung out with a thinly veiled L Ron Hubbard.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, the Maggie stuff was a lot of fun, but the Patty and Selma stuff was just there. It did have some pretty good jokes, like Homer's fantasy about them being fatter and him being even fatter, and the bleach jokes. I also liked Bart going "thank you thank you thank you".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Air is lava! posted:

Also apparently the Simpsons already used that song in season 18.

It's used a million times in Loony Tunes, or any other cartoon that has some kind of military segment.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Any episode that has Chalmers dressed as Sean Connery from Zardoz is good to me. I also liked the Rocky Horror adult Halloween song. Actually all the costumes in the show were really good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I want to go back and look at the background jokes in Apu's Halloween Popup. I remember "Kosher Vampire Fangs".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like it felt lame for the doll she clings to to be a prop that has never been mentioned ever before in 27 years instead of like her happy little elf doll that actually is shown to actually be a thing she cares about (but also hasn't been mentioned in like the last decade so the writers wouldn't be too cruel destroying it as an object)

There is no continuity to the show. That is your first mistake.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, I saw Homerzilla and figured it was going to be about Homer turning into a giant monster and fighting someone else in Springfield, kaiju style.

Now i'm sad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, first one was amusing, second started off okay, but it really fell flat. I'd rather not think about the 3rd.

Well, it was still better than farting Spider-Man.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My favorite visual from the first one was Bob using barts guts to turn him into a backpack.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't help but that part was written for Elaine Stritch, even though she died a few years ago.

That was a pretty serviceable episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was pretty darn good. For this era at least.

The two parts didn't mesh too well, but on their own they worked.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was pretty good. I loved the character design changes for all the characters.

You're El Barto? How can that be!??

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My favorite thing was the little robot coming out of the tablet when Mr Burns smashed it. It was just there, no attention was called to it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
One of those things that they add to Tapped Out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
First couple of minutes were good, and so where the last few. Basically anything that didn't directly involve the main plot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was pretty serviceable, which is high praise in this day and age.

FilthyImp posted:

That was a nice little throwback to the Cocoanut Grove nightclub in Los Angeles. The animators used some nice reference photos for a throw-away.

Yea that was pretty fun and really good looking.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Helen Lovejoy miming :suicide: and the Bear doing the pee pee dance were pretty good visual jokes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am surprised the Improve troupe was not made up of the Simpsons cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked how in Prison terrible things where happening just behind Marge all the time.

• Locked thread