Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Autonomous Monster posted:

I don't remember that.

What I do remember is that, at release, there were no limits on who could assimilate. Meaning that, by 1900 or so, the entirety of the Indian subcontinent would go British. One billion primary-culture POPs makes for a hell of a lot of industry :catstare:

Also Victoria is actually good and fun and I will greet the third instalment with joy, good cheer and a primal lust for wildly overdesigned economic simulations. :colbert:

My favourite variant on this was internal migration in V1 allowing you to f.e. get the entire population of Poland to move to the Ruhr and then assimilate to German because they moved over in a constant stream and never became a majority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Bel Monte posted:

Also, on release capitalists had insane demands for resources. Luxuries could never be satisfied, which made them pissed. So pissed they'd revolt to change your government in the vain attempt to fix the problem. Except no matter how free market you were, no matter how anarcho-liberal (pseudo libertarian?) you were, you could never solve their insatiable hunger for more. So they kept revolting, even though they were getting their way. Massive waves of revolts rocked western countries all over the globe. The game was pretty broken on that front. It was later patched, but it gave players even more incentive to hate capitalists.

I don't remember that.

I think it was all population types associated with industrialisation. I recall reading the intent was that the demand from urban populations was meant to drive up the price of commodities to encourage further advances in those industries. So craftsmen had needs 20 times higher than farmers.

But yeah, all it resulted in was millions of time travelling libertarians waging never ending People's War against the state.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
That's actually the genesis of the Pop Demand Mod, it was just to bring all the pop needs in line with one another, and then it feature crept

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Today's developer diary about naval invasions is now up. Gives you a nice blurb about planning and executing invasions and what's necessary.

Nice that they made it something you have to think about and no longer about grabbing a bunch of divisions and manually sailing around some ships to just try and land people anywhere; the horrible supply system was usually a bigger issue than whatever garrison you ran into. I hope they let you do something about setting up temporary ports or just dumping poo poo off on a beach. No longer having to build and control every single transport yourself now is also something I like, too. Kinda like in the early 2000's when RTS devs decided 'na, units provide their own transports now' instead of making you build and micro the poo poo out of things.

Should make the Pacific War less of a chore for the American's, too.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think fairness demands we remember that V2 was the first release after HOI3. It represented a massive leap forwards towards the new UI-friendly Paradox games we have today, but was still part of the era where QA was a thing that consumers had to do for Paradox.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Fintilgin posted:

Leaves Paradox to finally be able to work on a space 4x.

Paradox promptly starts working on a space 4x.

Returns to Paradox a couple months before the space 4x releases.

:negative:

Nah, Stellaris was being worked on before he left. He's been back for a while and worked on Conclave and HoI4.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Darkrenown posted:

Nah, Stellaris was being worked on before he left. He's been back for a while and worked on Conclave and HoI4.

Keep an eye on your milk supplies around the office.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheWesterFront/status/708602351813337089

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

paradox interactive announces that they're publishing sword of the stars 3

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What could this mean? Let's see...

quote:

adjective
1.of or relating to the stars; consisting of stars.
2.like a star, as in brilliance, shape, etc.
3.pertaining to a preeminent performer, athlete, etc.

1650-60; < Late Latin stellāris, equivalent to stell(a) star + -ārius -ar1

latin? Rome 2 confirmed!!!

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

quote:

What could this mean? Let's see...

latin? Rome 2 confirmed!!!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Latin? In depth racial pseudoscience mechanics for Vicky 3 confirmed

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Agean90 posted:

Latin? In depth racial pseudoscience mechanics for Vicky 3 confirmed

No, Latin means Creative Assembly will buy Paradox in the IPO and force them to build subsystems for Total War games forever.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

u say that like its a bad thing :getin:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I don't know, I am pushing for the pseudoscience. I for one excited about the possibility of phrenology influencing the actions of the worker pops in V3.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Latin means Stellaris is Rome 2, and has always been, it's just that no-one expected Rome 2 to appear in this form and shape.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Latin means Stellaris is Rome 2, and has always been, it's just that no-one expected Rome 2 to appear in this form and shape.

Truly the romans lived in enlightened times.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The announcement will be "Stellaris releases tomorrow. poo poo, did I say Stellaris? I meant to say Rome 2."

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

"Rome 2, 3 and 4 to be released simultaneously tomorrow. Funny thing, we have had them just lying around on Johans Pentium IV these past 4 years, whoopsie!"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"Have we been releasing development diaries for Hearts of Iron IV? That's still in pre-alpha, it's way too soon. By the way Victoria 3 ships tomorrow."

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

b0lt posted:

paradox interactive announces that they're publishing sword of the stars 3

The sad thing is that, even after all the bullshit, I'd probably still take a chance on a SotS 3.

Just, loving, roll me up a SotS 1 with rad modern graphics and a radder combat engine. That's all we need here. Maybe drop the whole trade thing, that was a terrible mechanic.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The sad thing is that, even after all the bullshit, I'd probably still take a chance on a SotS 3.

Just, loving, roll me up a SotS 1 with rad modern graphics and a radder combat engine. That's all we need here. Maybe drop the whole trade thing, that was a terrible mechanic.

Release a day 1 SotS DLC that gives a custom start as a campaign and also unlocks the SotS races for a regular game. This DLC is free for anyone who owns SotS2 on steam.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I think they're going to surprise us all and say Stelaris will release this Calander year. I'm guessing November.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mecron kept insisting it was the greatest thing ever, and we were just all idiots for not seeing it. Which goes to show either the initial elegant design of the SotS economy was a complete fluke, or he had nothing to do with it.

I eventually modded the game to make trade ships a lot more effective, but more costly. Which meant at least you didn't need to build 25 per sector to fill your trade slots, or whatever bullshit it was. Made it a lot more bearable (but it was still a poo poo idea).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

tooterfish posted:

Mecron kept insisting it was the greatest thing ever, and we were just all idiots for not seeing it. Which goes to show either the initial elegant design of the SotS economy was a complete fluke, or he had nothing to do with it.

I eventually modded the game to make trade ships a lot more effective, but more costly. Which meant at least you didn't need to build 25 per sector to fill your trade slots, or whatever bullshit it was. Made it a lot more bearable (but it was still a poo poo idea).

I thought it was Wiz running the trade mod? But yeah trade was bullshit busywork completely divorced from the normal gameplay, so of course Mecron loved it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Funso Banjo posted:

I think they're going to surprise us all and say Stelaris will release this Calander year. I'm guessing November.
They aren't going to call a shot like that after the HOI4 release date mess. I think you are right that its going to be a surprise release date for Stellaris, but its going to be over summer.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Did that christmas vic 2 beta come with more bugs than it fixed, or should i install it?

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Yes.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
My guess is we'll get a release date for HOI4 and Stellaris as well as an announcement of what the new Obsidian/Paradox thing is. http://humanresources.paradoxplaza.com/

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZearothK posted:

No, Latin means Creative Assembly will buy Paradox in the IPO and force them to build subsystems for Total War games forever.

shut your mouth that would be an incredible thing

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

fermun posted:

My guess is we'll get a release date for HOI4 and Stellaris as well as an announcement of what the new Obsidian/Paradox thing is. http://humanresources.paradoxplaza.com/

"Watch the announcement:
March 15th, 5PM Pacific"

Good guess!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

quote:

Evil is not a definable concept. As many of our grand strategy players might tell you, it’s more of a viewpoint-thing.
"Hitler did nothing wrong, he was just misunderstood!" - About Half of Paradox's Forums Users

If the devs plan on showing off their newest game then I guess they'd have to announce it (people were able to sniff out what Stellaris was before the announcement, wonder why the internet detectives have been so quiet this time). As for the release dates on the other two I'm not going to get my hopes up. But remember that Reddit AMA from a while back?

Make of that as you will.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

fermun posted:

They got Obsidian on board for their Vampire thing? Nice.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Yeah that's definitely gonna be a Bloodlines sequel, or something along those lines.
Given that Bloodlines is one of the best rpgs ever made that's pretty good!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bloodlines was loving amazing. And also janky and poo poo.

I call it the Obsidian paradox (pun totally intended).

edit: lol. I got my "developers who are loving geniuses but also somehow colossal fuckups" mixed up, silly me. It's the Troika paradox. Obsidian made completely different amazing but also janky and poo poo games... like KOTOR 2.

Demiurge4 posted:

I thought it was Wiz running the trade mod?
The whu? It's all just text files, I edited them myself. If I'd known someone else had already done it I wouldn't have bothered.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 13, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Oberleutnant posted:

Yeah that's definitely gonna be a Bloodlines sequel, or something along those lines.
Given that Bloodlines is one of the best rpgs ever made that's pretty good!

Paradox facebook said it's NOT White Wolf related, so no Bloodlines 2. :smith:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Paradox facebook said it's NOT White Wolf related, so no Bloodlines 2. :smith:
They can say that, and yet just a short while ago they were looking to hire an editor explicitly and specifically for dealing with White Wolf material. They're up to something, I tells ya.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
So Sweden just chose some awful-come-medicore contestant for Eurovision.

Is however relevant, you know what to do. Even if it means relocating. On the hellish plus side, you can relocate to Australia, considering they are part of Eurovision now.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 13, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Well I'm voting in Eurovision for the first time since I was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Mister Adequate posted:

Well I'm voting in Eurovision for the first time since I was a kid.

Shams is not exactly a gamedesigner.