Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

podcat posted:

nah, but there are lots of specific events for certain cities

That's cool. I hope the one for New York being bombed involves the bomb the Manhattan Project is building getting detonated as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fascist Britain that hasn't outright overthrown the monarchy? For some reason I always assumed Mosley and the BUF were anti-monarchist, or at least keen to sideline the monarchy into absolute uselessness.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

UrbicaMortis posted:

That's cool. I hope the one for New York being bombed involves the bomb the Manhattan Project is building getting detonated as well.

:cripes: it wasn't actually built in Manhattan dude

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

and that is exactly why I want the event to do that as well

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Oberleutnant posted:

Haha, whoops. That's what I get for studying victorian political history at school instead of WW2.

Ofaloaf posted:

Fascist Britain that hasn't outright overthrown the monarchy? For some reason I always assumed Mosley and the BUF were anti-monarchist, or at least keen to sideline the monarchy into absolute uselessness.

In the DD thread on the paradox forums, Podcat said there is an event chain to invite the rightful king back to rule the fascists.

UrbicaMortis fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 18, 2016

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Ofaloaf posted:

I could see British fascism making use of the monarchy as a figurehead, being symbolic of the glory of the British empire after all. Edward VIII was also rumoured to have Nazi sympathies, so perhaps in a fascist Britain scenario, he would be used as a public face of British fascism.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, Edward would be useless in terms of actually making decisions, but he would lend an air of legitimacy to the fascist movement. Mussolini also kept the Italian king around, but he didn't have any power.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The Narrator posted:

I could see British fascism making use of the monarchy as a figurehead, being symbolic of the glory of the British empire after all. Edward VIII was also rumoured to have Nazi sympathies, so perhaps in a fascist Britain scenario, he would be used as a public face of British fascism.
Heads of state are kind of nebulously used though. I don't recall Mikhail Kalinin appearing in the Soviet minister lineup for HoI4, although I could be totally mistaken about that and I'm way too lazy to double-check right now.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Stalin was officially until May 6, 1941 only General secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party. Only then he also became Chairman of the Council of Ministers/Head of government.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Didn't HOI2/Darkest Hour/HOI3 list Cordell Hull as Head of State of the US? I vaguely remember seeing his portrait next to Roosevelt's.

Or maybe it was John Nance Garner?

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Gort posted:

Yeah, Edward would be useless in terms of actually making decisions, but he would lend an air of legitimacy to the fascist movement. Mussolini also kept the Italian king around, but he didn't have any power.

Edward actually has some interesting traits. He is flagged as an Inexperienced Imperialist which gives some unity boosts and lets him justify wars faster, but he gets less political power (which you need to manage occupied areas effectively for example or fudge around with government)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Drone posted:

Didn't HOI2/Darkest Hour/HOI3 list Cordell Hull as Head of State of the US? I vaguely remember seeing his portrait next to Roosevelt's.

Or maybe it was John Nance Garner?

From what I remember it was always the President as HoS and the Vice-President as Head of Government. Which is probably the best way to represent the US system since you kinda need a HoS/HoG divide for the European countries.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Do we know what nations come with those beautiful custom leader portraits by default? I would have assumed just the big 8 (US/UK/USSR/France/Germany/Italy/Japan/China). but I remember also seeing Finnish portraits in a dev diary somewhere. Maybe Canada/Australia too?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Drone posted:

Do we know what nations come with those beautiful custom leader portraits by default? I would have assumed just the big 8 (US/UK/USSR/France/Germany/Italy/Japan/China). but I remember also seeing Finnish portraits in a dev diary somewhere. Maybe Canada/Australia too?

I dunno, but they must have had a bunch of artists working overtime. Looks like a crazy amount of painted portraits.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

I dunno, but they must have had a bunch of artists working overtime. Looks like a crazy amount of painted portraits.
They probably had a bunch on payroll for Stellaris, too.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
yes, artists are a thing you usually have when making games

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Anime portrait pack DLC incoming in 3... 2... 1...

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Drone posted:

I think it's actually all of them. It would be really jarring to have those portraits for half the nations in game and then you click on Tibet and get a blank silhouette or an actual picture of the Dalai Lama.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

I think we have about 450 unique portraits atm.
I did some checks early on what it would take to paint ALL portraits from HOI3. it would take about 19 years ;D

podcat fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 18, 2016

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Where's my painting of the Dalai Lama?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

podcat posted:

I did some checks early on what it would take to paint ALL portraits from HOI3. it would take about 19 years ;D

Hey maybe you could tell this dude what the parameters are of the portraits :)
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/minister-format-request-devs-plz.914042/

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

vyelkin posted:

I think it's actually all of them. It would be really jarring to have those portraits for half the nations in game and then you click on Tibet and get a blank silhouette or an actual picture of the Dalai Lama.

IIRC they have generic portraits for many nations. This was discussed sometime last year.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

podcat posted:

If you start now you can aim to have HOI5 out by the 100th anniversary of the D-Day landings in 2044, with some margin of error to spare.

Do all the leaders who weren't important enough to draw get some generic 'guy in suit' picture or are they a dark silliouet with a question mark for a face?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

podcat posted:

That look on your face when Johan said Q1 2015 a couple years ago suddenly makes perfect sense.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

IIRC they have generic portraits for many nations. This was discussed sometime last year.

I would expect a lot of the generic ones are being used for government changes in minor nations. You don't really expect certain changes of government in the course of the game, so if communists take over Tibet or Ethopia they probably won't have a unique portrait, but Haile Selassie and the Dalai Lama probably will.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'd be really curious about what sorts of portraits generals from minor powers get. In the single-player WWW stream, they scrolled down a seemingly endless list of Japanese generals who all had unique, full-color portraits, but I can't imagine it's like that everywhere. Of course, minor nations probably have a lot less generals in general, so...

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Not cool, you nefarious Swedes.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Out of Darkest Hour and HOI3, which is easier for a new player to get into? I'm too impatient to wait for HOI4.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Out of Darkest Hour and HOI3, which is easier for a new player to get into? I'm too impatient to wait for HOI4.

I love HoI3 but I also have a fetish for organizing my army as neatly as possible.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Don't do it, man. Just wait a few months.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

You should probably just wait like three months for HoI 4-- I bounced off of both HoI 3 and DH pretty hard-- but if you're really interested in suffering answering this question might be a bit easier if we knew what your background with existing Paradox games. Have you played CK2/EU4? Victoria 2? The old pre-Clauswitz games like Vicky/Ricky or whatever?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Don't do it, man. Just wait a few months.

Yeah I've put many hundreds of hours into HOI3 over the years and could never get into HOI2 as the graphics had aged so poorly and the mechanics of the game just felt so different. But what really fleshed out 3 and made it enjoyable was the expansions and that's a lot of money to drop on a game you're only going to play for 2 months.

Just play through something else to pass the time.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Empress Theonora posted:

You should probably just wait like three months for HoI 4-- I bounced off of both HoI 3 and DH pretty hard-- but if you're really interested in suffering answering this question might be a bit easier if we knew what your background with existing Paradox games. Have you played CK2/EU4? Victoria 2? The old pre-Clauswitz games like Vicky/Ricky or whatever?

I've never played a Paradox game (or at least any of the Grand Strat games), but I've played War in the Pacific:AE and a bunch of other really grognardy wargames so I'm no stranger to unintelligible UIs and obscured mechanics.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Yeah I've put many hundreds of hours into HOI3 over the years and could never get into HOI2 as the graphics had aged so poorly and the mechanics of the game just felt so different. But what really fleshed out 3 and made it enjoyable was the expansions and that's a lot of money to drop on a game you're only going to play for 2 months.

Just play through something else to pass the time.

A lot of money?

You can get the complete edition for as little as €8.74 on GMG (http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/de/en/pc/games/strategy/hearts-iron-iii-complete/) or even cheaper on certain well known grey market sites. Even if you only play it a few hours, I'd say it's a worthy investment.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Darkest hour is the one you want.

edit: do not listen to anyone recommending hoi3

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Empress Theonora posted:

You should probably just wait like three months for HoI 4-- I bounced off of both HoI 3 and DH pretty hard--

Did you like any of the HOI games? Because if not, I don't think HOI4 is going to be radically different.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Darkest Hour is a great contender on the mod front alone, well that and the perfection of the HoI2 Formula.

HoI3 is probably great now but it had its problems and has a great deal of pointless micro from the start just to not screw yourself over, AKA re-organising your entire army at the start of the game because OOB systems.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Westminster System posted:

Darkest Hour is a great contender on the mod front alone, well that and the perfection of the HoI2 Formula.

Specifically Kaiserreich, which has a lot more variation in what can happen compared to the vanilla game.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Why did you ever stop doing LPs? :( Growing up and having a job is hardly an excuse...

I didn't I just stopped posting low effort stuff on SA. There is a bunch of stuff on my Youtubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

Specifically Kaiserreich, which has a lot more variation in what can happen compared to the vanilla game.
Worth noting that Kaiserreich is an alternate scenario where Germany won WWI and France went communist syndicalist.