Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Can't wait till they see that it has non-binary colonists.
Haha, how does that even work? Are all the people just spacesuit people like the trailer or what or do they just have the opposite model for the sex listed or what

Tahirovic posted:

Because why take a game as a game, it has to be realistic to a detail where it becomes unplayable and unfun. At least the devs don't listen to them a lot and they have their meltdowns over it, which is fun to watch.

I lost my ability to feel human when paradox decided carrots could grow on Mars!
Mars is red, while carrots are orange; so they should grow fine, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think the “other” might be for androids, a late-game technology

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Haha, how does that even work? Are all the people just spacesuit people like the trailer or what or do they just have the opposite model for the sex listed or what

They don't need to do much special with them, just assign a body model semi-randomly, as non-binary folks can and often do still present like their assigned gender.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Well there go all my Mechwarrior dating/combat sim fantasies. Thanks for that!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Tooltip says 'A person with biological sex that is neither male nor female.' So I guess intersex representation rather than non-binary. And they're definitely available early-game. I saw someone have 4 in their first round of applicants.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 15, 2018

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I’ve been watching Marbozir playing Surviving Mars on YouTube and am intrigued, but I’m wondering if anyone knows how it handles on Xbox?

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 15, 2018

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I’m pretty hype for it, I like extracting resources and moving them around to build even more poo poo to extract resources. I’m a little skeptical about the control you have over moving the poo poo around on the map, since it looks to be up to a bunch of cute little drones to decide what to do. Kind of gives a dwarf fortress vibe to me in that respect, stockpile management. Drone fortress.

it's the same developer as the recent tropico games so probably you have to wait for the drones to move stuff like tropico teamsters

Anime_Otaku posted:

Investors been watching Marbozir playing Surviving Mars on YouTube and am intrigued, but I’m wondering if anyone knows how it handles on Xbox?

tropico was released cross platform and worked pretty well iirc so i dont think there will be problems with this one

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

boner confessor posted:

it's the same developer as the recent tropico games so probably you have to wait for the drones to move stuff like tropico teamsters

Going off the Quill videos I've been watching that's exactly how it works. There are some pretty neat ways to help with that though.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

boner confessor posted:

tropico was released cross platform and worked pretty well iirc so i dont think there will be problems with this one

Now you mention that, I have been looking at a review on YT that’s talking about a bunch of irritating things that Tropico didn’t have/were fixed and have found the complete edition of Tropico 5 for the same price as the Surviving Mars base game. I’m kinda tempted to grab it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Is there no way to select/reassign multiple drones at once?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Anime_Otaku posted:

Now you mention that, I have been looking at a review on YT that’s talking about a bunch of irritating things that Tropico didn’t have/were fixed and have found the complete edition of Tropico 5 for the same price as the Surviving Mars base game. I’m kinda tempted to grab it.

ehhhhhh no

tropico 5 is, different, from 3/4 (4 is really just a fancified xpac of 3) and it has Problems. plus the DLC are goofy, if you like goofy city builders with overpowered gimmick buildings than go for it but imo trop 4 modern times is still the best of the modern versions (original tropico still the best tho)

like trop 5 isn't a bad game necessarily but it's also not really great and idk if it's worth paying full price for the base game or any price for the dlc

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ugh I do want Surviving Mars but that's a little pricier than I can afford right now.

Oh well guess I'll hold off for a few months.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ms Adequate posted:

Ugh I do want Surviving Mars but that's a little pricier than I can afford right now.

Oh well guess I'll hold off for a few months.

probably a safe bet, paradox games often have issues at launch and haemimont games often have like a dozen planned dlc with a sale on the base game in a few months

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

boner confessor posted:

probably a safe bet, paradox games often have issues at launch and haemimont games often have like a dozen planned dlc with a sale on the base game in a few months

It's not a paradox made game though, they just publishing it, so you probably won't get the "well this game has potential, but it will need a couple years worth of DLC with major re-designs before it can really be called good" of a lot of paradox-developed titles.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Tooltip says 'A person with biological sex that is neither male nor female.' So I guess intersex representation rather than non-binary. And they're definitely available early-game. I saw someone have 4 in their first round of applicants.
Earth truly is hosed if something that's less than 2% of the population are now that common lol

Or is it the ole sex/gender confusion

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The game is pretty good, but it feels like they really did not put any thought whatsoever into logistics. Shuttles basically seem to work completely randomly, and colonists won't visit services outside of their dome.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

It's not a paradox made game though, they just publishing it, so you probably won't get the "well this game has potential, but it will need a couple years worth of DLC with major re-designs before it can really be called good" of a lot of paradox-developed titles.

talking more like, paradox qa as well as encouraging the dlc business model - haemimont already puts out a ton of dlc but it's all bad dlc, where as paradox dlc is rarely outright bad vs. just doesn't fit someone's playstyle, so paradox could have coached haemimont on how to make better dlc

like, the first dlc for tropico 5 was... a cheese factory, a scenario related to cheese production, and a chef's hat. five bucks

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

boner confessor posted:

Minor correction: "Kalypso have a dozen planned crappy DLC" not Haemimont Games, remember, don't blame the developers for DLC policies, blame the Publisher.

Paradox basically save developers from lovely publishers at this point.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So just floating this but had any Goon attempted to do a CK2 interactive story focused stream before? I've been having fun streaming stuff like BG Ironman, Battle Brother's and Darkest Dungeon runs to audiences of 10 or so people and thought that streaming an interactive CK2 game where we all make a story and dick about in real time would be fun.

I understand it's more fun to play CK2 than watch it but could it be something people who'd be interested in chilling to for wacky adventures?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 16, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Is there a Surviving Mars thread (I know it’s Paradox-published, not developed). The streams with Suzie and Nicky have been hilarious.

Which streams would that be?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Which streams would that be?

these videos. It's not so much the gameplay as the commentary. it is uniquely insane in a funny way

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
For those who were looking for it, Surviving Mars does now have its own thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851822

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s not even that because, like, NASA is pretty sure wind power would be viable on Mars and it’s not like periods actually make someone unfit for space travel. I’m happy to bite into some grognardy “well, this variant of the T-72 had...” kind of poo poo, but they’re just being nasty about poo poo in a game set in the future.

How would a T-72 deal with Mars' gravity and the tank's ground pressure?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Mans posted:

How would a T-72 deal with Mars' gravity and the tank's ground pressure?

Biggest issue would probably be the lack of oxygen to run a combustion engine.

*adjusts glasses*

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

ArchangeI posted:

Biggest issue would probably be the lack of oxygen to run a combustion engine.

*adjusts glasses*

Just need a really big snorkel.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Surviving Mars so far: I really should have sped up the game before I did. The pacing of expansion and setup feels weird to me, unless I’m just not doing some stuff I should be doing. The game generally isn’t great at explaining itself and making sure you grok what you need to do at various points and how the systems interact with each other. I haven’t had anybody die (yet?) but I’ve almost killed some folks by accidentally breaking my own logistics network.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Morol posted:

It is going to be a crusader king like game in fantasy setting.

Crusader Kings 3: Total War: Warhammer

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Mapgoons Discord Server: https://discord.gg/cfze7zX or https://mapgoons.com

Mapgoons has open spots for our weekly Hearts of Iron game every Sunday at 3pm Eastern Standard Time. We will play for 3 hours. The game has already started, but we are only in 1937, and there are quite a few countries around the globe that could use solid players.

Players of all skill levels are welcome, however I ask that when picking which nations you would like to play you keep in mind your own personal skill level, realizing that larger nations require far more micromanagement, while smaller nations on the periphery can allow room for experimentation and learning opportunities if you have the patience.

Keeping in mind that there is a new expansion with a lot of unyet tested features, we are doing away with most of the old rules to get a feel for the state of the vanilla game.

Here's a rule: Don't coup player nations. If you want to be a dick and influence them against their will, fine, but don't coup them.
Here's another rule, don't send anything with an engine in it unless it's a support group when you send volunteers.

Last week we had 20 players, come join our cast of misfits!

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Okay guys prepare for a flashback and a half.

I've decided to pick up Victoria 1: Revolutions again because of nostalgia. Part of that nostalgia is taking Uruguay to a great power with minimal war. I've gotten it to number 7 but the game ran out of time, so just for kicks I want to extend Victoria 1 past 1936.

I've edited the end date to 2036 in both places in 1836.eug, and the game now runs past 1936, but I can't get rid of the popup that comes up with the list of scores and the end game and export buttons. Clicking either of them ends the game, and it takes up most of the screen so I can't ignore it.

Is there some way to delay the end game popup in Ricky? Old mods don't work on the steam version of Victoria 1 but I assume it's an event file somewhere. Anyone know where it is? I can't seem to find it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Earwicker posted:

Crusader Kings 3: Total War: Warhammer

Throw in Mount And Blade and you have my perfect game.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

e: oops, wrong thread

how's Surviving Mars anyway?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

some people like it some people dont

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the biggest thing going for it is the visual style, imo, its much better looking than most Paradox games and most other space-colony-city builder type games out there at the moment

gameplay wise, it's decent but kind of limited and frustrating in many areas. like most city builders it gets pretty tedious after a while. maybe these types of games just arent for me but the general experience is that its fun and interesting for a bit and then it just starts to feel like work.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

Surviving Mars so far: I really should have sped up the game before I did. The pacing of expansion and setup feels weird to me, unless I’m just not doing some stuff I should be doing. The game generally isn’t great at explaining itself and making sure you grok what you need to do at various points and how the systems interact with each other. I haven’t had anybody die (yet?) but I’ve almost killed some folks by accidentally breaking my own logistics network.

I remember playing tropico 4 or 5 at max speed almost all of the time, unless I specifically wanted/needed time to be slow (following an npc schedule or during military engagements mostly). So the pacing thing might be because of a particular design quirk by haemimont games.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I think that it would be a better game if it had more of a "Die and learn" gameplay like Banished, or had more events as the game goes on. As it is after the midgame it is pretty much impossible to lose unless you mine out your water production without planning redundancy, and once you have finished your special event it just becomes a very uneventful city builder on mars where absolutely nothing happens other than the possibility of running out of resources. You have your "Do this by Sol 100" mission which is generally really easy(the two I've seen are have 100 people or research 40 techs, both of which are easy, although the Church may have issues with the 40 techs?), and your event that will finish a little bit after that....and then nothing. More missions to aim for, or more cool events, or something, would make this game longevity so much better. I still think it is fun and a decent investment of some of my money, but it could be a lot better.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Earwicker posted:

gameplay wise, it's decent but kind of limited and frustrating in many areas. like most city builders it gets pretty tedious after a while. maybe these types of games just arent for me but the general experience is that its fun and interesting for a bit and then it just starts to feel like work.
Yeah, I kinda want to try the game, but I just know there's no way the game will hold my interest.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I think that it would be a better game if it had more of a "Die and learn" gameplay like Banished
This made me think up a very literal interpretation of the title - basically; you're the mission leader of the first Mars colony, and your goal is to make the colony self-sustaining and then return to Earth, the less hosed-up from the experience the better. I'm thinking a base building/management game, where you yourself exist as a character within the base. On top of that is a layer of CK2-style dynamics between the people on your base, as well as some sort of combat/stealth mechanic for when part of your crew becomes space cannibals/part of the menu.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Khisanth Magus posted:

I think that it would be a better game if it had more of a "Die and learn" gameplay like Banished, or had more events as the game goes on. As it is after the midgame it is pretty much impossible to lose unless you mine out your water production without planning redundancy, and once you have finished your special event it just becomes a very uneventful city builder on mars where absolutely nothing happens other than the possibility of running out of resources. You have your "Do this by Sol 100" mission which is generally really easy(the two I've seen are have 100 people or research 40 techs, both of which are easy, although the Church may have issues with the 40 techs?), and your event that will finish a little bit after that....and then nothing. More missions to aim for, or more cool events, or something, would make this game longevity so much better. I still think it is fun and a decent investment of some of my money, but it could be a lot better.

That sounds exactly like Tropico.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

GrossMurpel posted:

That sounds exactly like Tropico.

its Tropico on Mars with more resource management, less politics, and generally a much more limited scope in terms of what kind of place you are building

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Earwicker posted:

its Tropico on Mars with more resource management, less politics, and generally a much more limited scope in terms of what kind of place you are building

Thanks, this gives me everything I need to know to not buy it. I'd have loved to have seen something without goofy cartoony graphics and more of a brutal "try and die" approach. Banished with actual gameplay and on mars would be great, and with a design team that does their homework and makes the game realistic enough to be actually educational. Like I've learned so much actual history and geography from playing paradox games, but surviving mars seems to put style and gameplay above even a handwave to what any sort of realistic initial colonization of mars could possibly look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

double nine posted:

I remember playing tropico 4 or 5 at max speed almost all of the time, unless I specifically wanted/needed time to be slow (following an npc schedule or during military engagements mostly). So the pacing thing might be because of a particular design quirk by haemimont games.

they really like slow paced games where you can zoom in and follow the agents around. like you can poke around and see your tiny colonists doing their jobs in the buildings, which most people will never notice at max zoom out and max speed