Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Beamed posted:

We doing this again?

I hope that they model the atrocities of ancient India with the respect they deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lol if i cant watch a regions poplation get carted off into slavery in real time, just lmao

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ptolemy Soter was only 30% wrong.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I want to play as Syracuse. The city is placed in a great geographic position to dominate the whole Mediterannean.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'll admit to always feeling a degree of affection for the city of Tarentum in southern Italy, because of always starting as the Brutii in Rome Total War.

Best flag, best colors.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Play as Crete and have random strangers decided on every single issue ever.

Populist!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
people questioning why india is in rome game are the same people who wonder why the netherlands get a focus tree in a ww2 game

ie dumb

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Or the people who complained about Africa in CK

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I kinda want to divide Judea into as many factions as possible.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Poil posted:

I kinda want to divide Judea into as many factions as possible.

Judean People's Front
Popular Face of Judea
Judah's Beloved Sons
Anti Ahab League
Sons of Moses
Sons of Abraham
Sons of Seth
Sons of Enoch
Sons of The Fathers
Judean Familial Front
etc

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

StealthArcher posted:

Judean People's Front

No, don't be ridiculous, it's the People's Front of Judea.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

New Imperator dev diary focusing on combat and combat tactics.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OK, so it's just EU4 combat but you can change some of the numbers a little bit some times :geno:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

with an even smaller dice roll it's going to be horribly deterministic.

looks a lot like they mashed the worst parts of CK2 and EU4 combat together.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Technowolf posted:

:yikes:
Hype train has now officially stopped and I am disembarking.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Eh, I'll wait to see how it plays before I declare the sky is falling.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It does seem kinda odd, maybe there’s things behind the curtain we aren’t allowed to see yet?

I think there’s more changes in a single Stellaris update than there is between eu4 and brand new game Imperator so far, not including all the features that are just removed.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Technowolf posted:

I did love tinkering with tactics in CK2 and MotE, but only because you could pick one unit composition that was ridiculously OP and use that for everything.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gort posted:

Eh, I'll wait to see how it plays before I declare the sky is falling.
I cant say that I think the sky is falling..... the thing to me is that I've been playing the combat system that Johan just described for pppbbbttt 15 years? If we are getting a near-copy of EU4's system with a few of the dumb things that CKII adds (like Prav said). I'm ready for something new.
edit: Like....I do not get much gaming time any more, so when I get to spend what little time I have I want to spend it wisely. I do not think that spending it on a re-skinned EU4 will be the way for me to go.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Was anyone else really psyched when the announcement for Rome 2 was initially made and then became steadily less excited with each and every dev diary?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I expected Europa Universalis: Rome Redux, and that seems to be exactly what I'm getting.

The dev diaries are not the strongest writing I've seen from a dev diary, admittedly.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Fellblade posted:

It does seem kinda odd, maybe there’s things behind the curtain we aren’t allowed to see yet?

I think there’s more changes in a single Stellaris update than there is between eu4 and brand new game Imperator so far, not including all the features that are just removed.

To be fair, Stellaris is undergoing a big overhaul in each patch at the moment to fix the weaker parts of the game - a process that need doing precisely because it started out with some pretty weak mechanics that needed fixing, much like other paradox strategies.

It's strange to have such a disconnect between what people expected from the combat and what is being proposed though, I wonder what the story is here. Was it originally planned to be more interesting but had to be cut for some reason, or was it just overhyped? Or is it more complex than was described and the dev diary is just kinda bad?

Chalks fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 22, 2018

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Technowolf posted:

Why are roman era tactics being represented by napoleonic mechanics? Why is a 50% effective back line a thing? Why talk about "firing" at all, when the medium-heavy infantry should be the default unit? This just seems bad

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Chalks posted:

It's strange to have such a disconnect between what people expected from the combat and what is being proposed though, I wonder what the story is here. Was it originally planned to be more interesting but had to be cut for some reason, or was it just overhyped? Or is it more complex than was described and the dev diary is just kinda bad?

The general sentiment seems to be the same for each dev diary: People expected something new from a new game, what they got was an EU4 mod.

Still gonna get it and play it because I have only really started getting into EU this past year or two.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Fellblade posted:

The general sentiment seems to be the same for each dev diary: People expected something new from a new game, what they got was an EU4 mod.

Still gonna get it and play it because I have only really started getting into EU this past year or two.

If that does turn out to be true I'd be pretty shocked simply because paradox seems to go out of their way to make all of their games play differently.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just noticed that the tactics don't even change your stats or whatever, they just make your army better or worse against other tactics. It's literally just rock-paper-scissors.

Can't wait to find out that cavalry-heavy armies will still do the thing where extra cavalry hang out on the sides doing nothing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Kaza42 posted:

Why are roman era tactics being represented by napoleonic mechanics? Why is a 50% effective back line a thing? Why talk about "firing" at all, when the medium-heavy infantry should be the default unit? This just seems bad

Don't get caught up on specific English words the guy writing in his second language is using. "Firing" just means "attacking". A 50% effective back line just means a unit supporting one that's in the front line by doing a variety of stuff like reinforcing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not even dressing up your terminology in an appropriate way is insanely lazy for an official news release.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Gort posted:

Don't get caught up on specific English words the guy writing in his second language is using. "Firing" just means "attacking". A 50% effective back line just means a unit supporting one that's in the front line by doing a variety of stuff like reinforcing.

While any particular example could just be a case of poorly conveyed ideas, all taken together it is very much seeming like this is just literally EU4 combat with slightly different numbers. But EU4 combat is very napoleonic, featuring two lines of troops facing each other and attacking, with cavalry mostly being flanking strikes from the edge.
The reason this is a problem is that this is not at all how Roman-era combat should work. I'm not asking for Total War control over troops and positioning here, but armies should still be conceptually different in Rome than in EU4

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Another entry in hungover Johan waking up at 10am realizing he's got to have a dev diary published in an hour and reheating the eu4 leftovers.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Eh, I'm not disappointed at it. I wasn't expecting anything more or different from what was described in the diary. Combat in Paradox games is always just a matter of mashing bigger stacks into smaller stacks, and I hardly pay any attention to it besides to make sure I am constantly pouring more and more little men/tanks/spaceships at wherever the fighting is going on. :shrug:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

HoI4 has actually good combat but uh it's literally a wargame so not the best comparison

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

EU4 combat can also be surprisingly intricate with army composition and where you engage the enemy at being major factors in the outcome of battles, on top of all the other bonuses you can get on the strategic level.

CK2 is the only modern paradox game that really feels like "more numbers win" when it comes to battle.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Kaza42 posted:

While any particular example could just be a case of poorly conveyed ideas, all taken together it is very much seeming like this is just literally EU4 combat with slightly different numbers. But EU4 combat is very napoleonic, featuring two lines of troops facing each other and attacking, with cavalry mostly being flanking strikes from the edge.
The reason this is a problem is that this is not at all how Roman-era combat should work. I'm not asking for Total War control over troops and positioning here, but armies should still be conceptually different in Rome than in EU4

Hmmm, within the extremely abstract framework of EU4 combat, are they really that different? How would you represent it, other than rows of infantry facing each other, with flanking cavalry? Maybe that's the point? You don't want highly abstract combat?

Anyway I'm personally fine with "EU4 in a different time period" and it looks like a lot of non-combat stuff is quite different/better, e.g. the dynamic trading system. So I'm still excited, even if I agree that what's been revealed about combat is kinda boring so far.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

If we're just getting a mostly reskinned EU4, why not just play the Antiquity mod for Eu4? It's gonna have way more flavor than Imperator for the first couple years anyhow :v:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

EU4 combat can also be surprisingly intricate with army composition and where you engage the enemy at being major factors in the outcome of battles, on top of all the other bonuses you can get on the strategic level.

CK2 is the only modern paradox game that really feels like "more numbers win" when it comes to battle.

Where you engage the enemy can also have a huge effect in CK2. Pagan homeland bonus, favorable terrain (especially if your commander has the matching combat trait), river crossings. Those allow smaller and lower quality armies to still come out on top.

And nomad realms can consistently win with smaller forces against enemies, while tribals will nearly always lose if they bring as many men as their feudal enemies, on account of their troops being of lower quality.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The problem with EU4 combat is that there's literally only one battle tactic - infantry front and center, cavalry on the flanks, and artillery (or archers) in the rear. Outside of fiddly army micromanagement, you can't change that at all. You can't have your artillery focus on a single regiment to weaken their formation. You can't have your cavalry lead a charge to take advantage of their high shock damage. But then they add "tactics" which are literally just +10% versus other tactic, and it's like, what is even the point?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Family Values posted:

Hmmm, within the extremely abstract framework of EU4 combat, are they really that different? How would you represent it, other than rows of infantry facing each other, with flanking cavalry? Maybe that's the point? You don't want highly abstract combat?

Anyway I'm personally fine with "EU4 in a different time period" and it looks like a lot of non-combat stuff is quite different/better, e.g. the dynamic trading system. So I'm still excited, even if I agree that what's been revealed about combat is kinda boring so far.

I'd be okay - though not really happy - with it being the same under the hood and just presented differently. Theme and appearance matter for creating how a game feels.

However, ideally I'd like to see a more detailed battlefield map with the little unit pips moving around on it according to an AI (I do not want to be able to control them manually) to represent positioning and flanking differences in approaches. I think that a Roman game should be able to have Cannae happen, which is incompatible with the napoleonic two-lines model.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

The problem with EU4 combat is that there's literally only one battle tactic - infantry front and center, cavalry on the flanks, and artillery (or archers) in the rear. Outside of fiddly army micromanagement, you can't change that at all. You can't have your artillery focus on a single regiment to weaken their formation. You can't have your cavalry lead a charge to take advantage of their high shock damage. But then they add "tactics" which are literally just +10% versus other tactic, and it's like, what is even the point?

What were you expecting this game would do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Literally anything else? :shrug: