Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

LordMune posted:

The tick rate hasn't been looked at in a while, it happens to be functional for dev purposes. We'll be tweaking it, but I can't promise that it's temp because 10 ticks per day might turn out to be the magic number. :v:
It sounds weird because the longest existing Paradox game is CK2 which runs for less than 700 years, so people are reasoning that if a Stellaris game takes about the same number of ticks you're going from your first colony to galactic domination in 70 years.

Of course there's no way to combine a more "realistic" time frame with battles that last multiple ticks, but EU and CK go the other direction with battles that last for weeks so people are used to that.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
We've got like 10 weeks before the end of the year, that's plenty of time. And they're already doing full feature dev diaries and streams so it can't be that far off.

Or maybe the real problem is just that they haven't come up with a catchy name yet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It is pretty funny that Stellaris is doing all the crazy stuff people constantly requested for EU (add characters like CK2! add pops like Vicky!)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's such a simple but flexible mechanic. Looking forward to playing as Gun-nut Libertopia, Kryptonian Science Council, and Bioware Fanbase.
Gonna max out Xenophile and name it the Empire of Kirk.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't see why anything substantially more complex than that is needed for a game with automated combat.
Yeah I'm not really worried because it can't be that complicated without manual tactical combat.

I'll be surprised if it doesn't boil down to "always build X" or "look at what your target is building than then build X or Y depending." Which is fine for a strategy game. It just needs to make you have to think about whether or not it's worth it to wait until your fleet is refitted.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 19, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Paradox forums in top form today

quote:

I hope to God I can at least mod that out. If my space Nazis have "Dikembe" as one of the top generals, it'll ruin the whole RP for me. Also, judging from the first post, I see no European portraits, other than the single person on the Stellaris website. If I need to mod in European portraits on top of removing the relevant portraits, I will be very displeased.

quote:

I hope there are options to limit the leaders to specific sexes and races.
If i'm going for a Roman Empire in space it would be immersion breaking to have women and non whites leaders.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
There should be a small chance that humans were conquered and enslaved by the sentient Jan Mayen bears.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 26, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Wait, wait...does this mean no more bookshelves wallpaper in streams?

Because if so tore away my ability to feel human etc.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

quote:

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian 1h1 hour ago
So it seems like something was bought by @PdxInteractive and people want us to look into making a game? Hmmm...
That was quick. I could see this actually being the main impetus behind the deal. Pillars of Eternity did really well considering it's a new IP and a niche genre.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 29, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Actually you spend a lot of your time managing your relationship numbers with other characters or nations and improving your stats, so clearly it's a dating sim.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
They haven't done diaries on the parts of Stellaris that sounded really interesting in the early previews - federations and major events/disasters.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Wasn't Alpha Centauri kind of like that? It had an actual tech tree and no 3 categories but I think the default was that you had to pick your next tech from a random subset of the available ones.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That might be the earliest possible date. I would bet on it slipping to late next year.

EDIT: That might be optimistic. Paradox has actually never released two major games in the same year before, but they're bigger than ever.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 3, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yet they refuse to implement supply mechanics that accurately model Dragon Force's historical shortage of electric guitar strings. :rant:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
drat, a voiced tutorial robot? Paradox going AAA now.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I hope nobody seriously believes Stellaris is that close to release unless you enjoy disappointing yourself.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Remember that HoI4 was announced long before Stellaris (along with the canceled Norse RPG whose name I can't remember) and was originally scheduled for release in the first quarter of 2015.

It's safe to say it's actually close to release now that there's a closed beta. Stellaris definitely isn't.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 15, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Wiz mentioned he's temporarily working on HoI4 now and he's built a completely new AI framework for future games, starting with HoI4 and Stellaris. It's not surprising for bugs to occasionally render parts of it nonfunctional if they're still making big changes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The most interesting thing in that DD is that from the screenshot it looks like research points are spent like monarch points on things other than research.

Which isn't really surprising, since having abstract resources of some kind makes it a lot easier to present interesting choices to the player.

EDIT: Although it's not just MP, since it doesn't look like it's being banked at the top of the UI and the tech screen we saw had estimated completion dates for tech research. Maybe when you start a project like uplifting it replaces your current society tech until it's finished?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 21, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Did the dev diary confuse people into thinking you can't just engineer your own population whenever you want because it spends most of its time talking about pops doing it of their own accord? I think the devs took that as such a given they only mentioned it in passing:

quote:

When an empire has reached a certain level of technology, they will have unlocked the tools necessary to modify the genetic code of their citizens. Whether or not they choose to make use of those tools,

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 21, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Guys I just had a thought: can you imagine what it's going to be like when HoI4, Stellaris, and V3 are out and there are four or five Paradox games constantly previewing and releasing expansions?

Rumda posted:

Has there been any rumours of a stellaris release date yet?
No, it's a pretty long way away and Paradox has learned better.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 23, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Stellaris is just making all other 4Xs look worse and worse.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The answer is probably that provinces aren't part of the engine. Back when they started working on the RPG using the engine people were all confused until they pointed out that Clausewitz really has nothing to do with the gameplay mechanics of their games, just the graphics, controls, script file parsing and loading, etc.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah they said it would be.

Here's the dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-16-colony-events.901906/

I'm really looking forward to the next one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah I fully expect that ship design will be reduced to a few simple rules of thumb once people start seriously trying to break it, but we'll see. I'll count it as a win as long as an all-destroyer fleet with fighter bays in every slot (for example) doesn't completely crush the AI/auto designs.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It was inefficient but a lot of fun to wipe out the target's infrastructure with a wave of fungal missiles before charging your alien hordes in over the hostile territory that counted as friendly highways for you.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The sector stuff is great news and pretty much eliminates my worries about planet management.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Brad Wardell of Stardock claimed this:

quote:

Next year all the 4X’s are going to come out. What I write below is not under some NDA. I know it because it’s my job to know it.

Let me walk you through the schedule:

1H2016: Stellaris, Master of Orion

2H2016: Civilization VI, Endless Space 2

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's not that bad if you know what to look for. It marks threads with posts from Paradox people with their logo and once you're in the thread you can click "show only dev responses" to only see the OP and Paradox posts.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Stellaris dev diary about war: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-20-war-peace.907257/

It's a lot like EU4 except you can declare multiple war goals, you can only actually enforce those goals or a subset of them if you win, and the defender has a year to counter-declare their own war goals. SO I guess actually it's more like V2? I never played it but I remember something about adding war goals in it.

Also if you're in an alliance, the other members have to approve the war, which is more likely if your goals include giving them something. That's one interesting solution to all the issues EU4 has had with allies.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 8, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Looks like it's just rounding errors (it always rounds down?) in how the numbers are displayed.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm pretty sure it works exactly the other way around: you group planets into sectors and assign them a governor so you lose direct management of them and instead have to keep the governor happy so he doesn't want to secede.

I don't think we know anything about ethical and genetic drift so the rest of that might be possible though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Huh, I was wrong to assume sectors revolt directly. But I guess if they already had the faction system to handle revolts in more general cases it makes sense.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
EDIT: wrong thread

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 19, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The fact that species ethics are very discrete and have major effects should combat that. Giving each empire two or three strong traits makes them easy to remember.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Empress Theonora posted:

Does anybody remember which dev diary went into the different ethics?
The stickied DD archive post on the paradox forums has the thread titles.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
RIP Johan's drunk AMAs.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That made me think of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic:_The_Revolution

I never played it but I remember the previews promising the world.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That's because it's a giant space creature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That's a great way to make tech victory more interesting than in most 4Xs. If you want to make an omelet you have to wake up a few ancient horrors.