Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
With all this chat about Vicky2 I have a question.

I *think* I'm starting to get a handle on the objectives of the game and generally how to play. What does the HPM mod add exactly? All I see online are mostly generic "It make the game better/more historical" or "it makes the game worse." If it's a mod only to make it more difficult to succeed in what you're trying to do I think I'm okay without it, but if it actually adds a fair amount of depth while not completely disrupting the ability to make progress then I would be more interested.

Of course, I could also just download it and try it, but what's the fun in that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

reignonyourparade posted:

So, generally there were two big players in the "don't play without it" sphere, New Nations Mod and Pop Demand Mod. New nations mod added more tags and more events, like 70% of it was literally just making historical events at least actually POSSIBLE, POP Demand Mod completely rewrote the game economy and included some weird decisions in that. HPM kinda runs a middle ground between the two.

POPs now have a demand for industrial goods as a hackjob representation of the civil construction sector because the base game has an ahistoric focus on commercial industry as the path to success but the same goods still exist instead of changing things around completely. The only new type of POP is serfs instead of a bunch of splitting things up that PDM does. I'd say that HPM basically goes about as far as you can go in changing things without COMPLETELY changing how the game plays.

Thanks for the help!

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah just using the meme format, I kind of assume most people in this thread are hardcore Paradox veterans. I started out with EU2 myself, no Svea Rike unfortunately

Just wanted to jump in and say that I only really got into Paradox games like...6 months ago? Maybe? I went searching for a Vicky 2 thread and found this instead. So not everyone here is a total veteran, but it's still good to hear the history of these games.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Phlegmish posted:

I've never played Germany or the Soviet Union and not even for ideological reasons, I just can't bring myself to play either of the obvious choices. I've never played Ricky as the UK, either

i never really saw the UK as the "obvious" choice in Vicky2 myself. to drag this metaphor over to eu4, i would compare the UK to Ming instead, whereas the Ottomans are probably the "obvious" choice in that game

both the UK and Ming have this thing of starting off way way high on the top and ending up being relatively boring unless you decide to go completely off the rails in one way or another. if you start off with such a comfortable lead, maintaining your status (as a player) is not hard

(also, i always thought of Prussia as the obvious choice in Vicky2)

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
To me, this seems like an utterly absurd discussion. Yes, army micro can be a pain, but you can usually win a war without carpet sieging every enemy province individually, and the combat system is complex enough to have to learn and become somewhat skilled at to succeed. The idea of letting the AI completely decide whether you win a war sounds frustrating especially compared to having complete control over what your units do in the first place.

Warfare and military is just another one of the many things you have to pay attention to in EU4 and Vicky 2 (much less so in CK2 and much more so in HOI4) and I think it's one of the more vital aspects to keep any of these games interesting. Especially a game like EU4 where 95% of the time you're focused on expanding your borders.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Beamed posted:

:rolleye: Why come in here in a discussion on how people wish the games were designed to say "Hey, did you guys know the games weren't designed this way"? Least you admit you're wasting everyone's time.

Not only is this incredibly snarky, but you do realize that what you're suggesting would be a complete and fundamental overhaul of the entire game system? Or maybe you're suggesting to somehow just remove it completely and let the game do everything, honestly I've read all your posts and I'm not sure which idea you're trying to push.

I think that a little more automation would be helpful, Fister Roboto mentioned something like being able to instruct your stack to follow that unit. That would be nice. I, personally, do not want the game so completely abstracted that I never have to move a unit around the map, and I am fine with saying that.

And seriously cut it with the sass if you're just going to post a generic screenshot of the map, post "This is okay??", and when someone responds that, yes, it is, you post this.

Beamed posted:

If you honestly only play EU4 to paint your map and right click army mans, you're right. I've got nothing to say to you. If you're in it to nation build (or heck, even empire build), then this is just mindless tedium, especially because there's always a right way to do it.

Bolded for emphasis. You literally think there's an objectively right and wrong way to do it, which is very silly on a number of levels.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Also want to chime in and say that the new optional unit automation sounds great in Imperator. Now whether it actually works is another thing, but the fact that they're starting to work towards that is good, even though I'm mostly fine moving my units around manually.

One thing that is very interesting to me about Imperator is the complete lack of unit cap. I can't think of another Paradox grand strategy game that doesn't have a unit cap in some way, supposedly the only cap is whether your economy can support the troops wages, which seems very loose.

CK2 has a very specific number of units you can actually raise, which can be supplemented by event troops and mercs. Vicky 2 all depends on your population of soldiers, you can't recruit more unless more people decide (or are persuaded) that they should be killing others. HOI4 has a finite pool of manpower that you can tap further and further into but will eventually run dry, possibly the hardest cap possible since mercs aren't a thing in that game.

It seems to be closest to EU4, which does have a softer cap than the others by sharply raising the army maintenance cost if you go over a specific number. I'm surprised a similar mechanic wasn't implemented here, maybe they'll put one in if they're attempting to calculate unit caps based on region/culture/development/whatever.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Krazyface posted:

I haven't really been following Imperator: Rome, but this LP that's just started does a really good job of laying out some of its mechanics.

He unpauses somewhere around the 21 minute mark.

This is a pro click. He seems to know the game better than I anticipated and he even actually edits somewhat well.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Also quite funny that in the dividing the spoils stream Caledonia is now the most technologically advanced are in the game since the player there turned everyone in his country into citizens.

I'm not too familiar with the systems yet (seeing as, well, the game isn't actually out yet) but wouldn't this leave you pretty broke with very little manpower?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

RabidWeasel posted:

The one they did yesterday? The guy as Epirus getting annexed by the AI in his first war was hilarious.

This is from a few pages back, but I didn't realize this was Pravus. Here's a link to what happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NlBnXtVwO8

Seems like he had a relatively decent idea of what he was doing, just wasn't expecting the AI to be able to get like three separate alliances after he started the war.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
The embargo on streaming early copies of Imperator is over now, so there's about 50 people all streaming it on Twitch as I type this. Good news if you're the kind of insane person that I am that enjoys watching other people play PDX games.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Jazerus posted:

why would you expect arumba, the man who can't read for more than half a second before giving up, to have an understanding of what's important

I decided to give the linked stream a watch and it's clear that he has done a lot of research into the game mechanics before talking about what things are important. That being said, having watched some of his stuff before, I know what you're talking about.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Does Imperator have much to distinguish the countries? Seems like everyone picks from the same ideas and the same techs.

Are there like unique ideas etc...a la EU?

Different culture groups have different military ideas. Latin is different from Celtic which is different from Persian etc.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Victoria 2 is 75% off on steam right now, in case anyone in this thread doesn't own it already. I actually recently started a USA run because I had never done one before, it's pretty fun. Way less annoying once the civil war is over.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

VostokProgram posted:

Play on the last beta patch if you aren't already, it cuts down the annoying USA events by a whole lot

Ah, I wish I had known this, it was getting absurd.

Randallteal posted:

My biggest pet peeve with Vicky 2 is the infamy system.

I pretty much agree with all of this, it's one of my biggest frustrations with the game. I (begrudgingly) understand that part of the purpose is to keep blobbing to a minimum especially in more developed countries, but Aggressive Expansion and Threat work so much better as systems than a mostly random arbitrary number assigned before the war even starts.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Stellaris is having a free weekend and a big sale on Steam right now. Which is perfect timing, I wanted to try getting into it again now that I hear it's more developed but I was waiting on a sale to get some of the DLCs. I do have a question though: does the Megacorp expansion just give you the ability to play as a different government type? I know a lot of things were added in the update, and the reviews are unclear as to how much is included with the update and how much with the DLC.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah all the core improvements that came with 2.2 were in the free update, the Megacorp DLC mostly adds the ability to play as a megacorp (plus a few other ancillary things like civics). It's not at all necessary to start out.

Perfect, I think I'll wait on that one since it's not quite as on sale as all the others.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Redeye Flight posted:

D I T H M A R S C H E N
R I S E S

i really want to play this new expansion for eu4 goddamnit

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Jackie D posted:

I've always wanted to have a game with this concept and also be good

:emptyquote:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Jeoh posted:

vicky 2 is a perfect game and there is no need for a sequel

*stares at victoria II-esque self in mirror* i'm...6/6/6?

counter point- vicky 2 is a flawed game, and i really want vicky 3. vicky 2 will still be there after

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Agean90 posted:

Serious post tho I still say they should remove armies as things you click around and instead set up an in-depth pre-planning mechanic to represent how hard it was to really mobilize a countries full military and how shifts in diplomatic policy can blow up decades of preparation

Strongly disagree.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Has Paradox made any games where a complete alternate history was actually intentionally programmed in? The only thing I can think of is the CK2 Sunset Invasion DLC, which is cool, but ultimately poorly received, so I would understand if they never ended up doing anything else along those lines. Still would be pretty rad to see.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

buglord posted:

That makes some more sense. One big problem I was having too was having too many factory workers. Like, tens of thousands of them. How do I get them to be artisans instead so they're busy? Is how im taxing lower/middle/upper classes influencing this?

Generally speaking, you want tons of factory workers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but generally speaking 16% factory workers and 4% clerks is ideal. So until you have that, just keep building more factories. The more factories you have, the more industrial score you have, the easier it is to rise to great power status. Also, if you have a profitable factory that is full, upgrade it by pressing the plus sign on the top of the factory in the production screen.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Sorry, quick correction: The more employed factory workers you have, the higher your industrial score. So, still, more factories.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

buglord posted:

The problem is, even with all those factory workers, the majority of them were unemployed and the factories were all unprofitable. (Didn't help that my gov't type doesnt allow me to step in and make factories).

e: meanwhile, i have all these provinces that have untapped RGOs.

e2: this is on a new game. I haven't touched a factory yet. looks like the artisans are starving and getting none of their bare essentials met.

Let the artisans starve. This happens in pretty much most playthroughs, and it's a natural consequence of the industrial age. Those artisans will often demote into your factory workers. Also, generally speaking, you want to be taxing the poor class at the highest level until your country is in a comfortable economic position. They don't usually get too adversely affected by it.

Often times artisans are affected by the tariffs of your nation, and reducing them will keep your artisans from starving or demoting. But tariffs provide a massive boost to your country's income, so don't be surprised if you're accumulating debt.

Basically that large red pie piece is normal at this stage in the game.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I'm not even sure what's wrong with my copy, but the music has always bugged out after a while during a campaign, so now I just always have it muted.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

420 Gank Mid posted:

Paradox needs to hire this guy or buy/copy/steal whatever script he wrote to make flags

That account is basically designed to inflame national and cultural tensions, which is what every online discussion about paradox games ends up being without moderation. So yeah basically I agree

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

I now see why Paradox is hesitant to make Victoria 3. About half of his points I agree with, the other half I couldn't disagree more with, and I'm sure the same could be said for a lot of people watching, but with completely different points. Basically, people are going to dislike a lot of the mythical Victoria 3 no matter what it ends up looking like (if it ever gets made) just purely from their own personal philosophy of what these types of games should be like.

I still think the game needs to be updated, if people don't like it they can mod the new cleaner updated version with some of the most obviously egregious things fixed.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Westminster System posted:

At least they added mass upgrade, cause before that..

Well I learned something new today that I could have used many, many hours ago.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
haha this thread changed it's title to match with spooky october how cute

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Anno posted:

Regardless of if they're playable it seems a little weird to me that they're making a big deal of baronies being on the map but seemingly making them even less impactful on the game. I get the idea of wanting to further divide up the map, but the gameplay implications seem worse than them currently being abstracted. Hopefully something else pops up in future DDs to make use of the new system besides it just being easier to navigate armies around.

It seems to me like baronies and terrain combined are acting as a sort of "development" of a county. The amount of potential baronies means more potential development, which would be replacing holding slots. That's how I saw it, at least, which seems nice to me.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

AnEdgelord posted:

picked up Victoria 2 with all the bells and whistles (dlc) a few days ago and looking at setting things up for my increasingly likely quarantine

I know HPM and HFM are the good mods that make the game good but which one should I install and why?

HFM is based on HPM but eventually stopped updating, HPM gets (semi) regular updates. HFM is more railroaded than HPM but you can toggle some of the railroad-y aspects like the Scramble for Africa. HFM also has a cool map mod built into it.

I prefer HPM overall, there is a bit more freedom to carve your own path. But keep in mind that both mods are much more based on history, and will have historical events that can make them both seem railroad-y because otherwise it would be impossible for things that happened in history to happen in the game engine naturally.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I like playing E.U.4.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

V for Vegas posted:

I am pretty excited for this to drop as well. Some tutorials are coming out on the update.

https://youtu.be/lhBBZHbRLE8

I did not know this, thanks for the link! This will be helpful, it's been a long time since I launched this game.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Kangxi posted:

Of course they'd wait to announce Victoria 3 right after I start a conversion mod

People will absolutely continue to play Victoria 2 well after a potential Victoria 3 release. Hell, there are 67 people playing EU3 right now. And a lot of Vicky2 fans say stuff about how Paradox would never be able to make a good game like that again.

Not sure if your target audience is those people, but don't worry, Victoria 3 is never coming out.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Anno posted:

FWIW I think PDS games generally have solid AI that never takes me out of a game like Civ's AI sometimes does.

Yeah same, the AI was actually one of the things that really impressed me when I first got into Paradox games. Especially compared to other games in the genre.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Fintilgin posted:

All the talk of V3 made me go back to V2, which I haven't touched in ages.

Started as USA for an easy relearning game and am getting trounced :lol:

Launched my Manifest Destiny war, but I kept getting invaded by the UK for New England despite multiple reloads, so I reloaded and bailed early on the war with just a couple states and then the UK left me be. Fine, I waited out my truce and invaded again and this time Spain intervened in the war and dropped 60 brigades in New England and :lol:

If I reload and try again it looks like it will takes ages to get enough influence to knock Mexico/Spain down off friendly. Is there any point? Can Spain just reincrease to friendly during the war and join again?

I don't ever remember this being a tough thing to pull off back in the day, so I assume I'm doing something wrong. :(

Assuming you are playing in Vanilla, when your first truce expires with Mexico just focus on influencing them, you can even stop influencing any other nation. If you go whole hog like that generally the AI loses interest. Then bump down UK/Spain to Cordial, and if you're really paranoid ban their embassy.

Also you may already know this, but if Mexico makes another ally like Colombia, they won't be able to join the war if they are sphered by you.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Farecoal posted:

I have a dangerous hankering to play Victoria 2, something I haven't done in years. Is there a current gold standard mod?

HPM.

Or you could use HFM if you really don't like the idea of anything happening differently than it did in history.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Randallteal posted:

I went back and played a couple Vicky 2 campaigns recently and honestly my ideal mod would just have an army template builder and an "expand all everywhere" button for factories and railroads. So much clicking.

Do you know about shift+click for factories/railroads? It won't expand everything everywhere but it will upgrade all the ones in the state that you click on.

And yeah, "click fatigue" (as Paradox likes to call it) is definitely one of the worst parts about going back and playing Vicky 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Crossposting this from the curse thread:

Retweet to give a mapgame player an aneurysm. Or really anyone with a basic knowledge of geography.