Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Paradox Grand Strategy: Hire me so I can beta test Stellaris plz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

"Don't cry for me, La Plata!"

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

I hope no one looking for historical inaccuracies on some lovely non-profit project site is going to make fun of the people on the PDX forums, who complain about historical inaccuracies in PDX games in the future.
I expect a website meant to be a historical database and atlas to provide a better representation of national borders over time and what nations actually exist than I do a video game, if that's what you mean.

That said, PDX needs to flesh out China more. :cheeky:

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

It's a first "beta" (actually it should be called alpha because it's not feature complete) without the ability for the community to edit the files. The data is not meant to be accurate, that's what the community should provide later on.
To that extent it looks like it has potential. In the meantime, however, we should never forget the 1861 British invasion and the Treason of Maine:

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

VerdantSquire posted:

Check out those stats on Ronald Reagan! :eyepop:
Steppe Wolf needs to get it's act together. Don't they know Reagan was a 7/7/7? :911:

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

jb7 posted:

Maybe when he entered office. Not so much by the end of his administration.

Jack2142 posted:

He picked up the incapable trait, George Bush became the treacherous regent.
Yes, but President Reagan did wisely enact the "Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" Act. That decision is pretty OP, seeing that it tag-switches the USSR to Russia and force releases all provinces with non-accepted cultures. No the fact that oil prices plummeted at the time had nothing at all to do with it it was all 100% that one speech.

There are otherwise very smart people who actually believe this to be true.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Notably, the role of Adolf Hitler has been reprised by a department store mannequin.
I think shadow Hitler looks pretty cool.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
This should suffice:

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
WWW spoilers:
Will America bring some FREEDOM to this game!? Not really, but lol paratroopers. I particularly like the area defense mode right now because without it micro-ing counters to the stuff the US is doing would be incredibly annoying.
Russian national unity is waay too high now, unless Trotsky is a god (if so, OK!). Germany shouldn't need to advance beyond the A-A line to force a Soviet capitulation, particularly if Vladivostok is taken.

It would be nice to hear from the US and Japan players, even if only over voip, just to get the screen share or hear what they're thinking.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
I finally got around to watching WWW10, somehow this is the sort of thing where 2x speed legitimately improves things.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Koramei posted:

Oh yeah, why is Hitler's face covered in shadow now?
OP from an old forums thread "What's your favorite leader portrait thus far?":

quote:

I hope that I didn't miss one (sorry for the bad quality):

I simply love the portraits. This is the most beautiful artwork ever done in a PDS game and it's so bloody important for the feel of the game (think Jagged Alliance 2 vs. the new one with generic render images).
My favourite portrait thus far is Hitler. He looks drat glorious, sexy and full of energy (I hope for a DLC with changing portraits according to how the game evolves, like old grumpy ailing Hitler in 1945). The leather coat make him look broad-shouldered, combined with the moustache reminiscent of a young Tom Selleck.
Close second the ever gracious Rommel.
Special awards for elegance: Nimitz and Yamamoto.
The prestigious "Golden Dud" goes to Paulus. He already looks like he's working for his future employer, the German Democratic Republic.

quote:

He looks drat glorious, sexy and full of energy

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Seriously though: I don't get the hate against NATO counters. (I am not a grog. HOI3 is probably the groggiest game I've played ever.) In my view, the base symbols are easy to learn and they are combine in an intuitive fashion to convey a lot of information about a unit. They are also more clear in a low-res environment To use the cavalry example:
We know that the top one is a horse, but with a little squinting it also looks like an SMG or a rifle perhaps. In fact, when I first saw the post I actually took a head-take as to why a SMG unit had a cavalry counter. The NATO counter on the other hand clearly has one line going through it and not two, with blurry vision or lower resolution that will always look like cavalry.

Although I might suggest for HOI4 that the counters be shifted to the right side of the icon box, unless there's information that will also be shown on the right hand-corners of that box as well.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Koramei posted:

i hope they have nato counters for stellaris

e: and rome 2, when that comes out
What is the counter for space squids?

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Wiz posted:

Seriously, it's fine if you guys prefer NATO counters, but assuming that everyone in the world will find 'box with line' the most intuitive representation of a cavalry unit is pretty silly.

I'm sure that if you work really hard at it, one day you too will be able to understand that a picture of a horse is, in fact, able to represent a horse.

Wiz posted:

The argument was that NATO counters are superior in every way. I find that argument silly, because it definitely takes longer to learn what combination of box/line represents what than 'horse = cavalry'. Once you learn them they're obviously fine, and there is some merit to the argument that they scale well to small sizes, but if you put someone who hasn't ever seen a NATO counter before in front of HOI4 they're gonna find the picture icons more intuitive.
I'm not arguing the NATO counters are superior in every way. I don't think anyone is arguing that.

The basic NATO counters, by themselves, are not more intuitive, no one denies that a picture of a horse is easier to understand as cavalry than [ / ]. But [ / ] is a much cleaner symbol than a horse icon and *in my own personal experience* the NATO icon language was easy for me to learn.

The intuitive part comes from the fact they they combine cleanly: if you see and X and O superimposed you know its mechanized, if you see an X with wheels it has trucks, and if you see an artillery dot with wheels you know it's self-propelled, etc.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Actually, if the horse icon is hard to read, why not just adopt the knight icon from chess?

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Empress Theonora posted:

I'm not learning what a bunch of boxes and lines mean just to destroy computer fascists.
I have no problem with that.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
I regret nothing.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Do the Homeworld counters count as NATO counters?

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
DLC nees a NATO counter.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Combat bonus or no, simply knowing what frontline provinces have how many troops is worth a whole lot, as is preventing the enemy from knowing as much. For every major and most minor games the computers are my first techs if only because I'll be getting encryption/decryption anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Wiz posted:

So anyway, Vicky 3 confirmed

hype