Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

vyelkin posted:

I want a space game that is basically 90% ship design. Rule The Waves in space. All you do is design ships and smash them against alien ships. No politics, no colonization, no economy, no planet management. That can all happen in the background as your race expands but you are the grand admiral and it's your job to keep humanity safe against the Bug Menace by designing the biggest baddest ships that just so happen to be built by your nephew's shipyard even though your nephew doesn't know how to connect a warp drive to an engineering section or w/e.

Gratuitous Space Battles is that sort of game (though I personally don't like it anywhere near as much as RTW).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I don't know if you've ever played Dominions 4 or not, but I'd use that as an example of why unlimited numbers of leaders is potentially a horrifying thing for a 4x.

Don't need to go to a different studio for an example --- the generals list in Viki 2 is quite a mess, too.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Didn't know Nicholas II had an English twin.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Palleon posted:

It sounds literally identical to Gal Civ 3 to me from a first read.

At the very least, very orthodox for the genre.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Koramei posted:

What other games have done automation like that that people can point to? I can't think of any and maybe in practice I'm wrong and it feels really different.

lol

I think the one game that does automation well is... CK2 --- since it basically replaces manages something with interacting with a character.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

Who are you playing?

Anyone else guessing "the Ottomans"?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

podcat posted:

he is pretty high on my cool list so I'm sure he'll appear in HOI eventually

Would be cool if Marian Rejewski could make it, too...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PhantomZero posted:

How do NATO counters add to immersion when NATO didn't exist in WW2?

I think US would use similar counters before... But of course Soviet Union and Germany wouldn't.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Wiz posted:

Believe me, I *wish* people didn't care about NATO counters, but grog gonna grog.

Can they even consider themselves proper grogs though? Shouldn't they be insisting on period-accurate counters proper for every country?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Plus people hate truces, and there'd effectively be a 20 year one after WW1 concluded.

Well, it could potentially just be a separate scenario that ends at about the end of WWI.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

https://twitter.com/pdxinteractive/status/836947253889753090

https://twitter.com/steeldivgame/status/836946840125833217

Looks like we are due another WW2 game out of Paradox Interactive! I know this probably isn't what their new forum is about, but interesting news nevertheless.

It is what the forum is about, they renamed it. So, congrats to people who want realistic WWII RTSs, and those of us who wanted a new Viki or Rome can wait longer....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Maybe they were just testing the economic model for VIcky 3.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Shafer just left, "creative differences" being reason given. Wonder if it will ever be revealed what he was working on.

I wonder if it's the same project they had to write off...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

So, tabletop version?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I think the polite term is "immersion breaking".

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

Victoria III is finally gonna get made but it's gonna have lootboxes and be optimized for tablets

Victoria's Secret Gacha confirmed.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Agean90 posted:

pretty sure your thinking of the fugitive slave act and all the crap from before the civil war. During the war slaves were kept in union territory (property confiscation you see) until the Emancipation proclamation was signed, where in the new freedmen could just do whatever.

The Emancipation Proclamation didn't extend to slaves in the union territory (the XIIIth Amendment did), including parts of Traitor States which have by then been brought under control.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Guys I accidentally got someone to buy Victoria 2. What is my punishment for this horrible crime?

You'll get to hear them complain about Victoria III not being out yet for the next 20 years.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

StarMinstrel posted:

Victoria is easy to spell! It is just as it’s pronounced. Rome on the other hand? Who knows. Is it Rom? Rum? Rome? Rhome? Wome? :iiam:

Rome II would probably be Kostantiniyye? Real easy to spell, that.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

double nine posted:

that entirely depends on the implementation. For example, I agree that the randomly spawned nations in Stellaris have no staying power and lack personality because they're literally a random die roll.

Conversely, imagine a LOTR grand strategy title. You know what gondor is, what mirkwood means, who saruman is, etc.

If a fantasy title is created with fixed starting positions and clear identities for the different nations/rulers/peoples it could be pretty interesting. The crux of such an approach is that it has to be supported by good writing in addition to having a good gameplay balance.

I think the problem with that sort of approach is that there are often very few factions. I don't think too many people have created fantasy settings with anywhere near as many different tags as EU4 has.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Holy poo poo it IS a crusader King’s board game

Comet sighted.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Radio Free Kobold posted:

is this a hoi4 naval expansion? oh yes

Ship design !?
I was going to joke about them licensing RtW2...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zeron posted:

Maybe I'm just sad that we're not getting Vicky 3 yet, but I'm really not a fan of the new Rome interface. It looks like they were trying to go for a classic but updated look, but it just comes across as old and dated to me. Same with the actual zoomed out map.

I am kinda with you, since when people first posted screenshots, I wasn't sure whether they were posting the new game or original EU: Rome...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Spending money on buildings has greater implications, yes, but the actual building system does not. The building system could be replaced entirely by two buttons that say "spend 100 ducats to increase your income by 0.1" and "spend 100 ducats to increase your manpower by 100" and literally nothing would change. Hence the cookie clicker comparison.

That's not quite the case due to limited slots and tell development system.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

idhrendur posted:

They've mentioned before that they hadn't moved away from 32-bit before because 64-bit gave no gains for what they do.

They may even have fallen into the category of software that gets worse under 64-bit conditions.

A lot of software ends up using more memory for same amount of data on 64-bit because of the larger pointers. So if something is using 3GiB of data in 32-bits it may end up using 4.5GiB in 64-bit, and suddenly the person with an old machine with 4GiB free is in for really bad time.

Of course if you need to store/can take advantage of more than 4 gig things change dramatically.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jackie D posted:

What I'm saying is I want Victoria 3

The Stellaris thread is over that a way.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Senor Dog posted:

Playing the new stellaris, I'm missing some of victoria's automation and feeling kind of silly about this whole situation

Suggest renaming Sector AI "Capitalist Pop", for the authentic building-the-wrong-factory experience.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the full and total purges were the only thing keeping the USSR from falling into a civil war in hoi4. the game punishes you for not going full stalin

Also isn't it the only way of getting the last research slot? Who knew that sending scientists to do manual labor in Siberia (if not outright shooting them) was a key to productive research!

When they redesign it, IMHO it should be a more extreme version of that partier-king national idea in Romania. Just have Stalin randomly screw the country over. Start with an almost-researched Deep Battle tree and have it revert to 1-tech in Mass Assault. Have division randomly lose XP until they are all green, etc.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

I still don't get why F:NV is so popular, the Vegas desert is an objectively less fun environment to explore than the capital wasteland, despite FO3 being a complete piece of poo poo at release.

Well, it's a basis of a good HOI4 mod?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zohar posted:

I agree with you, but I still think it's more basic -- like I do play shattered world on CK2 on the reg and you can still get neat emergent narratives just from the gameplay much more frequently than with Stellaris. Obviously CK2 is a character-focused game etc but it's also partly because it just has a lot more flavour and different religions/governments feel more different to play

One thing I think works really well in EU4 that Stellaris is missing is the combination of religion + culture as a factor + things like latent cores with the huge number of countries of different sizes,
which gives some interesting choices as to who you ally with. The diplomatic situation is also a lot more dynamic, with alliances shifting periodically. In Stellaris you kinda form blocks based on ideology
and they're very stable unless you feel like backstabbing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

aqu posted:

I heard Prussia will be the next DLC character in Smash.

Smash has the thing where characters can have multiple color schemes, right?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jeoh posted:

the most Vicky way to release Vicky 3 is to do a Kickstarter and Let The Market Decide

Sorry, capitalist pops have decided to make a survival/crafting early access game instead.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

What is Paradox trying to tell us???

Vicky III start date changed to 1984?

What's this in reference to?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Don Gato posted:

It's for their next game, Thatcher: An Empire on the Brink of Annihilation, the spiritual sequel to Victoria.

Do you get points for deindustrialization?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Eimi posted:

Yeah basically a CK3 that tries to be bare bones just won't work today when you have CK2.

I imagine they would want like 5+ years do no CK2 stuff for there be an audience for 3...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Any kind of Brexit-themed game really. They’ve had enough time to develop one.

They've anticipated it it with the CK2 decadence mechanics.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Now that Civilization 6 has a battle royale mode I'm sure this is the time for Paradox to throw their hat in the ring.

I keep pulling for Tukhachevsky in the gacha, but I keep getting duplicate copies of Budyonny :(

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Caring about economy is one of the things people like about the Victoria series!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah I can maybe imagine some kind of "AAA crash" if people get bored with samey giant games and publishers can't justify the marketing and development costs anymore.

Regulatory pressure on lootboxes and similar models may be a factor in that, since they might no longer be able to rely on people with major problems to subsidise things.

Now excuse me while I go play EU4 with 20 DLCs :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So instead of Victoria III it's Gerry Mander I?