Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Panzeh posted:

I don't understand why everyone remakes MoO2 as opposed to MoO1 which felt less bloated in a lot of ways.

The ability to put individual buildings all over your empire, instead of assigning spending priorities by slider, sounds like a great feature until it turns into micromanagement hell.

I agree MoO1 feels less bloated, and much more its own game rather than sci-fi-skinned Civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kavak posted:

Yeah but he's probably the best nation equipped to handle that besides China.

Nah, uPen's saying the infamy doesn't matter, no AI is going to declare on that Super-Germany for any reason.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Prism posted:

I need random poo poo to read on the bus again. What are the fantasy Byzantium novels called?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videssos

I liked the Krispos books the best. IIRC those are specifically based on Basil I.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Stellaris thread is this way (DD already posted there):
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768778

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

I like that he can end up psuedo-fascist. An otherwise decent man losing his way due to anti-syndie(red) paranoia is quite believable. Basically, Long sees himself as the only one who can protect The American Way(TM) from the Red Menace. His atrocities and crackdowns are justified(to himself) because it's the only way to win. That kind of tension(Long's fairly leftist goals vs. The need to win the ACW at any cost) makes for a more interesting experience, IMO.

Quite accurate based on all observed accounts of Huey Long in our timeline as well. Authoritarian in support of collectivist* goals is about right.

*Mostly to tweak the stellaris thread but the railroads had to be broken to achieve any benefits for the majority of Louisianans.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

is there even a point to the religion stuff in vicky 2 though, it never seemed to do anything at all

No real point but I believe it influences how POPs vote (that is, I think non-state religion POPs will try to avoid the moralism and pluralism parties).

Also I think there are some events tied to minority religions, as well as some specific Christianity stuff in Asia.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Samog posted:

good news, gamer

I... own that. :negative:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Wiz posted:

Honestly, the one I find most bizarre where people are complaining about dumbing down/lack of depth/cut content is HOI4. HOI4 has basically every feature worth anything from previous HOI titles and then some. What exactly was cut besides 3 hours of micromanaging OOBs at the start of any game? :psyduck:

The Fading Sun event which allowed a Chinese winning end to the Sino-Japanese War without having to invade the home islands.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There is a minimum organization requirement to be allowed to attack (10-20%? I forget the exact number. You can't even manually order an attack below that threshold), even if the "attack" is on unoccupied territory, so they might just be waiting for that.
In really bad terrain with overstacked provinces you may not be able to regain any organization at all which can stall the advance indefinitely.

I've seen this happen in Africa and parts of SE Asia.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The backers aren't very happy, no.

As a backer, I totally forgot about this and filed with the other 2 or 3 games I backed that I know are never coming out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

buckets of buckets posted:

stellaris bad, hoi 4 good.

This, but the opposite.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

spectralent posted:

So money woes aside I've now taken over a bunch of asia and westernised. The "RP for invading people" thing combined with all the free research boosts for allowing the west access to the country meant I was able to do it pretty quickly (as an aside, what's that meant to represent?), and now I have a budget of something like 4k, though my army of proper soldiers is accordingly pricier too. My army size is insane; something like 300 brigades? I'm barely using a third of it and have the world's most powerful military by miles.

No clue what that RP for invading people is meant to represent - it was added in the last expansion, Heart of Darkness - but to be honest Westernization in this time period is a pretty hit or miss affair. Japan was the only country to Westernize in the Victoria time period, and they already have events for that. So I think the entire mechanic is to give a player a faster path to Westernization, with no real justification.

How long did it take you to Westernize - my record is August 8, 1858?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

the next 6 decisions will be critical

That's Thomas Friedman you're thinking of, but I appreciate the reference.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

axeil posted:

I like all Paradox games.

Well except Sengoku and March of the Eagles.

Clearly you missed the Paradox version of Diplomacy.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

Having fun reading the I:R forums

On the Importance of a Non-Steam Version posted:

You see thats not my point!

Read my previous posts about entanglement again!

Its about not being connected all the time.
Its about privacy policy!
Its about that 5% of the gaming industry that doesnt behave or act like wireless motionless wet-ware.
its about the 5% that are still human.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/non-steam-version-of-imperator-rome.1102670/page-4#post-24330054

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Beamed posted:

Paradox forums posters complained when Paradox moved to Steam in the mid 2010s.

Not 2000s. 2010s.

They are still complaining about Steam as of last week.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

the vickying of stellaris continues apace

There's a dedicated Stellaris thread here that has been talking about that diary for a few pages: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850079

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

the stellaris thread is full of noise and this is the de facto vicky thread

Cool - just wanted to be sure you knew, although now I realize that the Stellaris thread is linked in the OP.

Re: Vicky: let me just lift this exchange from the other thread:

Nevets posted:

You might even find it more profitable to let a neighboring empire maintain it's sovereignty and continue buying all your surplus whatever so you can afford more whatever you are buying, rather than invading them and making your scarcity / surplus even worse.

Agean90 posted:

What if there was a way to directly integrate them into your internal market, some a sort of... Sphere of influence

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Randarkman posted:

I'm very interested in the details of this.

You were asked questions at startup to verify that you were an adult.
http://allowe.com/games/larry/tips-manuals/lsl3-age-quiz.html

Here's an example video from the original.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhp7nWZkMZQ

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Randarkman posted:

That's a lot of questions. Woudl it ask all of them?

It would pick one at random on startup.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Koramei posted:

They've already mentioned they regret the name, but at this point it's Paradox's most famous game by far right? I doubt they'd want to just lose all that brand awareness.

My memory of what Johan has said is that it's Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis, and then Crusader Kings. I could have HOI and EU reversed but it's definitely those 2 before anything else.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Think I made the right choice in going for Endless Space 2, goons aren't wild about Stellaris.

I have approximately a zillion hours in Stellaris and it’s my favorite paradox game now, but I admit that’s partly because I fell behind on EU4 and CK2 dlc. What I’m saying is I clearly have to buy endless space 2.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Groogy posted:

Did you just ignore all of the bugs I just brought up in the economy? I have more if you want. I can make all the money disappear in the world.
And if you tell me that's just the game being realistic/historical....

More or less. The Great Depression is inside the V2 timeline, after all.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Reveilled posted:

Maybe? I can't see any indication of developer one way or the other so it could be that Haemimont is making it.

Haemimont is working on something with Frontier so doesn’t have time anyway for the next 2-3 years.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

MOO1 was better :colbert:

:yeah:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Of course, in Victoria 2, "Be China" is kind of a winning strategy no matter what the circumstances.

Yup. https://lparchive.org/Victoria-II/Update%2017/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Fuligin posted:

Imperator has a lot of good ideas now, and looks to be getting more, but it flopped so hard (in terms of reception) that it's hard to see people flocking back.

It also has the "Paradox game with imminent DLC" problem that at least some people don't want to play it until the next thing hits.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Drone posted:

He also claimed that by Paradox offically licensing out the Clausewitz engine for use in Magna Mundi that it actually meant that he literally owned Clausewitz. Shortly thereafter he was committed to an asylum or something by his family.

Yup.

(not my translation, but from a Portuguese denizen of another forum at the time)

quote:

Carlos Rodrigues [Gustavo, which you know as Ubik of Magna Mundi], the programmer that was forcibly committed during 71 days under the Mental Health Act, has decided to sue five of the doctors that were involved in several stages of his clinical process. The first criminal complaint was filed at the Oeiras Court on September 22nd. This is not the first time that compulsively committed people appeal to the courts against this kind of decision. The relatives, who ordered the commitment, defend that Carlos suffers from "delirious disturbances" and that doesn't want to treat himself.

Carlos Rodrigues, 42 years old, says he had never been to a psychiatrist in his whole life, that he never took any psychiatric medication and that, nevertheless, on October 13th last year, four police officers [PSP] knocked on his door to lead him to the hospital. They had with them a warrant. It was claimed that he was "carrier of a psychic anomaly", that his health condition had "deteriorated", that he represented a danger and refused treatment.

He ended up being committed for 71 days at the Psychiatric and Mental Health Department at the Egas Moniz Hospital in Lisbon, got medicated with injectable antipsychotics. He claims that his "professional life got ruined", that he got a depression because of the commitment and the medication, and that the stigma of his alleged madness will remain forever as a scar.

(...)

In the case of Carlos, it was his relatives, his parents, his brother and sister-in-law, who is a doctor, who asked for his commitment because they were convinced that he suffers from a mental illness of prolonged evolution. At the basis of this conviction by the relatives would be information that he supposedly put on the Internet, claims Carlos. So as the fact that in the family, his paternal grandfather, had been diagnosed with schizophrenia. The programmer adds that, at the time of his commitment, he had cut relations with his parents, precisely because they had been saying to his friends, underage daughter and professional contacts that he suffers from a mental illness, something that destroyed his credibility and brought him several problems at work.

His relatives, however, claim that Carlos suffers from "delirious ideas", "that he started to tape conversations with his family saying that they were harming him", that he was being watched with video surveillance cameras, and considering "his father as the main culprit of the conspiracy", says the report about his case, made by the Psychiatric Center of Lisbon, which took part in the process of compulsive internment and was appreciated at the Criminal Court of Lisbon. The family tried, for several times, to take him to the psychiatrist and Carlos did not accept, said the relatives.

Carlos has now moved a lawsuit against the doctors, because he claims to have been commited unfairly and that he does not suffer from any mental problem. He especially denies "a clinical information" that was at the origin of his commitment, that was asked by his relatives and is signed by a intern in psychiatrics (still in her graduation period). In the note, the then intern says that the information that was passed to her was given to the intern by the relatives and by the sister-in-law, "worthy of credibility", because it was her "colleague", as it is written in the clinical information of October 11th, 2013, to which the PUBLICO had access.

In the clinical information, even though she never saw him, the doctor takes as granted that Carlos suffers from "delirious perturbances with a long evolution period". She makes reference to his social isolation and severance of his ties with his family. At his first psychiatric evaluation, at the Urgencies of the Hospital S. José, to where he was taken by the police, another doctor wrote that Carlos suffers from "persistant delusional psychosis". Carlos claims that this doctor barely spoke with him, read the clinical information of the other doctor and took informations only near his relatives

Pedro Silva Lopes, Carlo's lawyer, that, for the first time, exposed the case in an opinion article in PUBLICO, says that the document which was the basis of the commitment was requested by him since the beguinning, but was "intentionally hidden during six months" by the hospital. Only on April 9th this year, already after the patient had had leave from the hospital, was the paper given to him. The psychiatrist in question works at the Hospital Egas Moniz, where Carlos was committed.

Carlos Rodrigues asks: "How can you pass a paper saying that a person is a complete looney without having seen him? There are no reports of any misbehaviour". Carlos Rodrigues claims to have a programming company that recieves european funding and that several deals were lost due to the commitment and the strong antipsychotic medication to which he was forcibly subjected to, besides the fact that he became stymgatized. "This will be with me for the rest of my life. If I have a problem in the bone of my leg and the wrong leg is cut off, I will complain, but an alleged mental patient doesn't have credibility for anything."
https://www.publico.pt/2014/11/05/sociedade/noticia/carlos-benavente-processa-medicos-que-o-internaram-a-forca-e-o-deram-como-louco-1675130

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Vicky 2 and HoI3 are the only paradox games I've completely memoryholed and times like these, part of me wants to go back.

e: wait, also Sengoku was a thing

gradenko_2000 posted:

don't forget March of the Eagles

You sweet summer children who never played Paradox's computer version of Diplomacy. The AI was...special.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

ilitarist posted:

It was published by Paradox, not developed by them.

It was developed by Paradox.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/diplomacy-2005/665958p1.html
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_diplomacy_pc

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

idhrendur posted:

For those interested in such things, an Imperator to CK3 converter has had its first release. It can be found on the Paradox forums and steam workshop.

Gah. I may have to play imperator again now.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

MoO2 had hyperlanes?

Yeah, but only to limited extents. A hyperlane took you from arbitrary system A to arbitrary system B (or B to A) in 1 turn, while normally you would only move X parsecs per turn based on your engine tech. You'd normally find 0-5 of these in a playthrough depending on map size and settings.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Mokotow posted:

Those screenshots on Steam are surprisingly advanced

They’ve been working on it for around 3 years.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

the loudest sound in the universe, all thanks to Johan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdSU70HgnHk

I knew what that was gonna be before I clicked through; thank you for reviving EU2 trauma.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

why would anyone want to invade england

Started off in Scandinavia, the only place where going to England improves your weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

pdxjohan posted:

Well, it had some hardcoded rules per country..

I think there were one or two events like the Protestant reformation but yeah all the rules would be translated into slider positions for EU2 IIRC?