Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Not enough has been said about Stellaris' overall visual design. This looks like their sharpest, least busy design yet, and I love how the vaguely cell-shaded ships mesh with the hand drawn portraits.

Can't wait for when my commie technocratic space-cat faction comes for all of your most advanced laser-pointer tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

New Stellaris preview with gameplay vids:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/11/stellaris-a-fresh-take-on-the-4x-strategy-genre

Not a ton of new information, but it's always nice to see things in action.

- Slightly animated portraits, sweet.
- Using POPs from different races to colonize certain planet types, kewl.
- late game Physics Crisis about opening up a portal to an EVIL DIMENSION? :pcgaming:

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

If I name my science ship Event Horizon do I get a special event towards the end of the game and a Sam Neill character portrait?

Dr. Weir, 52

+ 2.0 Hell Research Rate
+ 50% Negaverse Relations
+ 25 Heebies
+ 25 Jeebies

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

In basically every 4X game just wiping out a planet from orbit has always been a valid strategy. These are galactic race wars, some serious poo poo goes down. Ground combat is expensive, controlling an occupied planet can be a drain, and maybe your empire doesn't want to be multi-cultural. So, you just bomb their cities from orbit then move your own colonist in. Or you don't even move in, sometimes you don't even want the target, you just want to deny your enemy it.

That's fine as long as there's repercussions to taking that route, like massive negative relation penalties with other empires/races, to the point where basically everyone else in the federation gets a free casus belli on you or they start a union to take down what is clearly a dangerous, wantonly destructive force in the galaxy.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

cool and good posted:

Conquerors used to do this to cities that didn't surrender IRL, just with different tech.

And they usually ended up creating as many enemies and problems as they solved/eradicated.

Dibujante posted:

Games that do not enforce my moral views should be censored.

Land wars are expensive, so player incurs manpower and economic penalties, diplo-annexing is difficult to pull off and increases chance of unrest and rebellion, but let's just give the player a genocide option that sidesteps the whole issue with no drawbacks. This is a good design choice founded on sound logic and historical precedence.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 14, 2015

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

With the awful-looking Independence Day sequel trailer hot in my mind, I wonder if we'll:
A) Be able to play as some Locust-like alien species, horde & migration mechanics included as we loot and pillage our way across the galaxy, glassing the planets behind us

One of the IGN videos showed that you can outfit your space stations with a mining unit that extracts a planets resources from orbit. Combine that with orbital bombardment and I think you could work something out.

I was wondering something similar to this, just basically if it will be possible to play as a mostly nomadic empire that keeps its POPs in space stations and colony ships, does a lot of trading of crazy anomaly tech and rare minerals. I think it will be mechanically feasible for the most part, but maybe not intentionally built in by the devs (but it seems like something Paradox would do in a DLC).

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Question for a Paradox dev. Is the tech deck influenced by your policies? Am I more likely to get certain techs if I have a large amount of stations running studies on primitives?

I believe the answer to this question was, "pretty much, yeah". It'll be mostly randomized but you can swing odds in your favor based on your ethics, studying anomalies, and probably encountering other cultures.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

I know cross-posting from Paradoxplatz is getting old hat, but I finally ventured down the stairs tonight to see for myself and :stare:

Paradox Plaza posted:

One of my guiding principles in life is, "There is no problem that can not be solved by genocide." It is an ugly truth, intentionally juxtaposing sterile terminology with crimes against humanity. War, force, call it what you want. Violence is always an answer.

If you are choosing to deny that, you will and should be forced to accept it by competing powers. You may win the wars against your rivals, you may allow yourself to be destroyed to protect your ideals, but inexorably the fundamental violence of the universe will consume and destroy you in the never ending fluctuations of energy.

The peaceful path is the expensive option, even if it does pay off more overall. The benefits should make it the more desirable path, but also the more demanding. You will have to protect your pre-FTL cultures, you will have to budget for your investments, and you will have to convince your rivals that cooperation is the safer option, despite being the harder one. Or your enemies will teach that war, and life, is cheap.

"The peaceful path is the expensive option, even if I semantically refute that in the very next clause of my sentence."

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

This makes me wish there was a random AI option, where 1% of the time the galaxy was just extremely peaceful, and the other powers teamed up to annihilate the player the second they start wars or genocides or whatever.

I get the feeling, or at least I hope, that this might be what the devs have in mind for the late-game "empire management" portion of the game. Maybe, whichever culture is the space pope/space HRE/God-Emperor gets to impose the ethics it chose at the outset on the rest of the galaxy. Warlike emperor? Open season, back-stabbing galore, probably lots of stealing tech, genocide is every Wednesday. Peaceful emperor? Everybody trade and play nice, but the Lansraad will end you if you orbital bombard a primitive culture or something like that.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

BillBear posted:

Hopefully it's death star tier technology you can find early on or some poo poo. It's seriously great it won't just be boring tech trees this time around.

No joke. This more than almost any other face of the game is what I'm excited about. Opens up so much more replay value. I just hope that when a legendary tech project drops, it scales to your culture's level and doesn't end up taking 4,213 months to complete.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

I...I have a confession to make. Stellaris will be my first actual 4X game. I've *wheeze* been saving myself *loud nasal exhaled* for 30 years.

I think I finally found my waifu. (And she's a fungoid)

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

May 10, 2016.

rumor mill.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Paradox posted:

Some sections also have a hangar slot, but more on those in a later dev diary...

Fighter swarms confirmed. :dance:

After the diary touched on the AI ship upgrade algorithm, I wonder what the chances are of getting into a Forever War type situation with an enemy would be. You send out a ship with advanced missiles, blow them up easily. Next encounter they send out a ship with your reverse-engineered and upgraded missiles, plus a powerful point defense system, blow you up easily. Then you build something with Gamma beams...

Or basically this until the whole galaxy is a smoky ruin:

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Oh my god I just realized I am genuinely super-excited for the total conversions that'll inevitably be made for Stellaris. There are so many possibilities, and a galaxy is a galaxy anyways, not like having to turn Europe into Westeros or something.

Give me a Dune universe TC or give me death. It'd be interesting just to see how modders would tackle the whole Spacing Guild, Bene Gesserit, and CHOAM mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

Are you saying chaos demons are not one of the end game consequences of scientific research gone wrong, and will need to be modded in!?

Shame on you Paradox.

Actually one of the dev diaries a while back revealed that opening up a rift to another, eeeeevil dimension was a possible late game "Physics Crisis" you could trigger. Paradox got you covered, bruh.