Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Is there any knowledge of when HoI4 will come out? From the livestreams it looks almost done, and I understand it's in beta so far, so it is more a question of final polish hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I can't remember which iteration of HoI2 (and HoI2-offshoots) it was, but the ideal fleet was a massive ball of CL and CA + some CVL to increase detection. They would chew their way through everything (except the even more OP naval configuration, a stack of pure NAV bombers).

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Leningrad is in the wrong place. Not as bad as Stalingrad in HoI3, but it is pretty clearly in the wrong place.

Stream:

Period map:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Kavak posted:

I think what's happening is that the Neva is on the map as a terrain feature, but since the city straddles it, it's technically in both provinces north and south of the delta. I can see buildings in the province just north of it.

This is true. The issue is that the mouth of the Neva is much too far south, and they chose to put the pip for Leningrad even more to the South of that, making it look quite off. It's not a major issue but it is funny considering that Stalingrad was off (by an order of magnitude more) last time.

MilkmanLuke posted:

I honestly don't see what you guys are saying about Leningrad. It looks like it's placed slightly south to the degree that would matter exactly zero on a strategic scale.
Technically there is a small issue, as by having the city sit completely within the isthmus you should be able to sit in it and have the city only be attacked from one side from each direction. As it is now, sitting slightly outside of it, you can attack it from 3 directions without needing to pass any choke-points.

What I'm saying is that I'm cancelling my preorders for HoI 4 through 6.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I hope everyone will temper their expectations on Stellaris. Especially considering it is obviously a dry run in the vein of Sengoku for Rome II with a procedurally-generated unexplored map.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

I continued my game, got in a colonial war with France, and then a large, framed map of Africa crashed down from my wall, directly striking the power cord for my desktop and pulling it from the wall. This ended the war.
The situation in Africa imploding and being almost impossible to manage shouldn't happen until the 1950s, I hope they'll deal with this bug asap.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Can't believe that in HoI4 you can just click a button and RADIO JUST HAPPEns. Why not put in the smallest bit of effort and have us have to set the precise frequencies, code schedules, and transmission timetables for all of our signal companies???

loving casuals

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I hate to break up this scintillating discussion but today's World War Wednesday video is below if you've not yet seen it:

http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/35210959

This week has someone who seems to know what they're doing, a functional AI and a number of adjustments from what we've seen before. Notably, the role of Adolf Hitler has been reprised by a department store mannequin.

Still really looking forward to this game. And Stellaris. Stop blue-balling us please.

It really does look quite good. One thing I noted however is that you apparently can just rush down the entirety of the doctrinal paths from the start. Germany was on the verge of researching "modern Blitzkrieg", the last technology on the tree, after Fire-Brigades and the Backhand Blow (which one would assume necessitate the Eastern Front to exist) by 1939. Maybe it should be linked somehow to military XP so you can't just leap ahead (I understand the desire not to firmly link it to dates but this seems sillier).

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Thus lit up Hitler's eyes when he saw there was a new development diary.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Someone on the forum will just make a nice spreadsheet if the auto-designer turns out to not work. I never understood why people want to be able to design such minutiae on their ships. It is a grand strategic game where you control entire star systems, its not a tactical space-fleet "simulation" game, nor does it even contain a token game mode for that (like a reverse Total War). Some of these Stellaris DDs blow me away, and others make me not want to touch it at all, fearing infection from the space 4x plague that has killed off so many games.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I can't speak to EU4, having never played it, but in HOI3 you can actually set what type of cannon, armour, engine and the like your tanks use. You can also modify most units in the game if you wanted to. In the ~500 hours I've played the game I've never had a reason to change it from what the computer automatically selects (which is the best tech you have at the time you queue up the unit) but the option is there. It's also something they plan on keeping (to some extent) in HOI4 as you use experience to build variants of units that better suit whatever play style you're going for:

And no, I don't know why this ship's top speed is 1.3 knots. Seems rather useless.

I really don't mind the level of customization you can apparently do in Stellaris, as it currently sits. It allows people to build what they want or just skip the process if they're not interested and have the game put something together for you. And look at it this way, even if the game just generated something for you and you had no option to change it, you'd still be stuck trying to figure out why your ships weren't performing if you kept getting you rear end kicked. And the solution would likely still involve building a whole new fleet and trying again. Until we see how combat works it'll be hard to tell what kind of feedback we'll be receiving.

Taking a look back at the second Stellaris DD entry it looks like combat will be a little more flashy and detailed that the usual two giants pointing at each other and gyrating for a bit we've seen in other games.
I think that this is as far as one would want to take it in a grand-strategy game. The Stellaris level of editing would seem to be not limited to giving me the choice to how much I want to focus on deckspace (i.e. armament on any non-CV ship) vs. armour vs. speed. Rather, it seems to offer a choice closer to if I want to fit 90mm AA guns on the Rome II on top of the 37mm AA guns the game is already suggesting I put on. Why this would matter in a grand-strategy game is beyond me, even if we assume combat is more detailed.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Randarkman posted:

They seem to build up alot of army experience very fast without that much to spend it on. Since doctrines were mentioned as such a no-brainer research option I really think they should have made it so that you unlock doctrines using army experience instead rather than treat them as technologies.

I have to agree with this. It also makes a lot more sense within the mechanics that the game offers. You do not advance technology by just having people sit around working away on things, but that is what the technology tab always felt like. However, one of the few things that the game does model is combat, and as such doctrine development should be tied in some form to experience gained (not completely, as to not utterly gently caress over Bolivia or whatever other minor states absolutely).

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Paradox devs that post in this thread, if I publish a lot of Japanese poetry and then seize the Tokyo army HQ before committing ritual suicide will you finally release HoI4?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Get 1000 Hitlerboosts for only €4.99!! Today only!!! pops up for the 50th time this week

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

So, I don't normally watch lets plays, but I was really enjoying watching some EU4 ones. Does anyone know where I can go to look for more? Youtube is decent to find them, but mediocre to find good ones

DDRJake has the best EU4 LPs out there in my opinion. He will absolutely twist the game and pull off incredible things. Arumba isn't bad at all for someone of a more average skill level who is clearly not playing 100% optimally.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Important new DD, can't wait to see how this is implemented in Rome II as well.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
The new HOI4 DD is nothing particularly interesting. They show off the British focus tree and some of the tech options, but all of that information was already available if you've watched the stream. Next week's is going to be on naval game play which is something we haven't seen much of, so I'm interested for that.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Militancy of the capitalist class has increased. HOI5 rushed to release!

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Paradox Interactive's Sepp Blatter's Sporting Boardroom Simulator - a Rome II DLC pack

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I'm still quite excited for HoI4 and it is looking very good, but I can't say that I was very impressed with the AI Chinas in the World War Wednesday stream (now on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeliuhVoUoI). It basically collapsed in under two years in the face of a very underprepared Japan. Daniel threw in tons of island garrisons (infantry formations not equivalent to full divisions both in lower quality of equipment and because they have less sub-units) and kept attacking all along the front, seemingly constantly not pausing at all from one attack to the other with the same unit. It reminded me a lot of how quickly the USSR folded against Germany in the previous stream (a Germany that had a really mismanaged economy/OOB because it went through three different players who just did all sorts of random things). I think AI China shouldn't be able to just eat Manchuria, but by all means should be able to throw up enough low-tier infantry to at least hold the line against Japan, which shouldn't be pulling off encirclements in low-infrastructure bad-terrain provinces in 1936 using basically just the starting army. I hope this stuff is still more indicative of the fact that we are two whole months away and that their build kept changing from one video to another.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

slavatuvs posted:

At least from the WWW stream it looked like "minors" like Hungary and Romania don't seem to have any unique events/bonuses/focuses/units. I get this to some extent, and HoI2 and DH had generics for most countries besides the great 7, but I think a little bit of historical detail in some secondary states would be very cool. Just like some small traits or unique focuses that relate to the historical reality.

And when EU4 launched the national ideas for the majority of countries were boilerplate generic crap. Now almost every country has its own idea set or is part of a particular idea set contextual to its history/area/culture. Don't worry you will be able to enjoy the fully developed Dominican Republic idea tree a few patch cycles and DLCs in.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
new portraits DLC looking good

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Dreylad posted:

The focus trees should be part of the free updates that accompany the DLC if it's following the EU4 model of adding new idea groups. Paid content should be about fleshing out/improving various game systems along with all the cosmetic variations of NATO counters.
Ditto, really hoping that this is the case. I really hope we get the same level of attention and dedication going into HoI4 and we end up with all sorts of focus trees all the way down to Bolivia or something.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
What do you mean jury duty? The slider for political liberties is about as far from democracy as it can be.

What do you mean HOI4 has no sliders?????

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Also an event chain for when Brasil is finally civilised and they learn how to speak Spanish etc. tia

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
The South Asian portraits are gorgeous, like some others said I was totally convinced it was some new DLC until I read the post.

1 month to HOI4, I hope they start putting some more publicity on it once stellaris comes out, as it's lacking in comparison. I understand that a lot of the fanbase is already locked in, while for stellaris they're going for bigger appeal to the 4X crowd. However, I think a lot of people got very badly burned by 3 and the changes for 4 could be more visible.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Civ Rev was a really good idea for a game that I think should be developed. A 1-2 hour civ game is a neat idea and should be pursued more.

Doubly so if it can be played from a tablet. The strategy genre, particularly grand strategy, is severely lacking in mobile and basically does not extend past risk ripoffs. There was a pdox email questionnaire last year where rhetoric did ask about how likely one would be to use a mobile game or an app that would interact with a pc game. I'm afraid that the forums spergs voted it down fully.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Kavak posted:

Maybe they're just testing things- East Germany appears to be there too.
It's the air zone view, one can note that the aircraft management menu is open. Its been showcased in the World War Wednesday videos.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I am now the proud owner of Johan Anderson's Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal Edition:godwinning:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Koramei posted:

i'm gonna be pissed if you guys drive them all off, wiz hasn't been spotted here in like a month
Goons will be Goons and they won't stand for their weird opinion on a particular CK2 DLC not being accepted in spite of already extensive discussion.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Where's my skeleton DLC for HOI4 paradox I'll cancel my post-releaseorder

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Here is some livestream of the PDX's newest title! Starts about 6:45

https://www.twitch.tv/wizzington/v/110990419

are we down the rabbit hole enough that its "funny" to quasi-lampoon borderline hentai games or

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Ricky is better than Vicky2 with all dlc

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

Weird that they're skipping 2 and going straight to 3

It's in full 3D VR that's why

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Johan Andersson's Free, Independent, and Strictly Neutral City of Cracow: 1815-1846

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

If Vicky 3 has focus trees burn the company to the ground
Each pop has its own focus tree. :discourse:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I agree that hoping for progress from Vicky 2 is pointless and a waste of time.

Dear paradox please ensure than Vicky 3 only deepens the madness that Vicky 1 was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

OperaMouse posted:

Was that the one with the Israeli uber-divisions, and nothing but Arab cannon fodder?

YF-23 posted:

I think that was Arsenal of Democracy.

Yes there was that scenario ('48) and then a Suez Crisis scenario, as well as Korea and Kashmir.

They were fun, and given the scale that HoI operates at, often wildly unrealistic in the operations you could carry out , like march all the way to Tripoli and Damascus as Israel in three months in 1948.