Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Why does no one feel this way about the USSR under Stalin?

Edit: I'm saying Goons are mostly communists

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

VerdantSquire posted:

Yeah, gently caress you if you feel slightly uncomfortable with justifying the racial prejudices of the mass murdering mad man!

He's laughing because the idea that people actually think playing as Germany in a war oriented map game means "justifying the racial prejudices of the mass murdering mad man" is absurd.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If you're not a horrific monster that will be remembered as one of the worst people in history by the end of a game of Crusader Kings, Victoria, or Europa Universalis you are playing the game objectively wrong.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I've seen WW2 grognard Naziphiles say the same things about Hitler while fervently praying at their shrine to Rommel.

Does anyone ever actually play as the US in Vicky 2?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Every time I culture flipped a province in EU3 I shed a tear

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

When I play as Germany in HOI I just disband every military division and allow glorious communism to be brought to Berlin. My conscience and education will only allow me to play video games through the lens of the proletariat.

Same but as Japan because communism needs anime

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

RabidWeasel posted:

(again SMAC was the best ever for this, even if it was hard to be 100% peaceful you could definitely play with an aim towards being more or less objectively good for the future of humanity, and without having to do anything awful)

All the factions in Alpha Centauri were ruled by horrible ideologues that went way too far and that was the point.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I can't recommend SOTS 1 enough for people that actually want good, combat oriented ship design. Just don't touch the sequel.

Dibujante posted:

It made it a lot easier to distinguish them, since they didn't have, say, historical context that you could use to do so. SMAC had to be over-the-top to combat the featurelessness that happens to fantasy settings.

Well, crappy fantasy settings. Which videogame settings tend to be. The crazy ideologies was kind of part of the appeal for me though

Tomn posted:

Lal was OK, if ineffectual.

He tended to go full world police in game and did some really shady stuff with cloning in the backstory. I think it says a lot about the other less obviously "evil" factions (so anyone that's not the Believers or the Human Hive)that the Peacekeepers tend to look like the best of the lot.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Panzeh posted:

They all struck me as dumb caricatures, honestly, but then i'm not as infatuated with the writing as other people.

They were dumb caricatures, purposefully so. I liked it but I can see why other people wouldn't. It's pretty over the top. It's sort of like the political equivalent of the Warhammer 40k setting. In the grim darkness of the 22nd century, there are only shrill cardboard ideologues.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Some of the quotes were good, like the Network Node one. Or the recycling tanks one with Chairman Yang's soothing, Mr. Sulu-esque voice.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

StashAugustine posted:

smac was a pretty dreadful game tho

like the writing was cool and good but it was really really bad

It was Civ 2 in space with some new mechanics sprinkled in.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Yes, exactly.

This is hosed up.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Tahirovic posted:

And compared to Civ 2 with expansions it was about as bad as the new Space Civ5. I am not sure why people bring it up so much as one of the better strategy games.

The concept was more of a novelty at the time probably. I'm sure nostalgia plays a role. I wouldn't go as far as what you're saying though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Master of Magic is beautiful but the ancient braindead AI ruins it. Not that some modern strategy games are much better.

Honestly I'd imagine anyone playing Civ 2 at this point for the first time would probably also find it dated and crappy. Civ 4 was the best Civ, i think.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

And Fall From Heaven, which makes it one of the best fantasy 4xs as well.

I'm still amazed a modder made something nearly on par with Master of Magic and Age of Wonders.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Elias_Maluco posted:

I guess its really a challenge to make a strategy game with such complex mechanics and have an AI that knows how to play it.

Endless Legend is my favorite "fantasy-civ" game since MoM but the AI also really sucks at it, and that makes the game a lot less interesting and replayable.

Yeah there's just too many options and combos for MoM for an AI to be good at it. Dominions has the same problem.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Panzeh posted:

Honestly, 4x games should probably not give the option to players to make dumb games, because they inevitably whine when the game isn't great that way.

Please do not develop any games.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Maybe it wouldn't be if you offered the proper sacrifices to Jupiter.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

GSD posted:

Hellenism confirmed for EU4.

I still want Rome 2. Only with less focus on Rome because at that game's start date Rome is just a regional power and the Diadochi are cooler and more interesting. Also the map should extend to India, seriously. EU: Rome's map was tiny and had almost nothing on it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I say let the stupid players be stupid because they will buy your game anyway rather than punish people that aren't stupid by taking away options they may want to use for some crazy gimmick game or mod or something.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Saying a game should not always be hardlocked to 10-20 systems per player is a bit different from "more options is ALWAYS better".

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
All the more reason to do an antiquity game where ships couldn't carry that many troops, were mostly for supply, and rarely if ever sailed out of sight of the coast.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ArchangeI posted:

There was a DD early on where Ethiopia managed to do a naval invasion of Italy. It caused some consternation because a) the AI wasn't supposed to be able to do naval invasions yet and b) Ethiopia doesn't have a fleet

Just when you thought Mussolini couldn't gently caress up in Africa any harder.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Scale can be its own reward. Not a grand strategy, but I've never done everything in Morrowind. Just the idea that there's still frontiers there adds to the experience, though. Yes, that's irrational. But so what? Humans are irrational. It's inescapable. Might as well accept that when designing a game.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Pimpmust posted:

I think the greatest AI researches have gotten up to is like a massive super computer trying to simulate/machine-learn the brain with the power of a... rat?

That rat might be real good at pulling off naval invasions though, who knows

I don't think you can really quantify a rat's "brain power" in computing terms in this way.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Vicky 2 is extremely cool and good.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

VerdantSquire posted:

If you only have to take 2 things away from Vicky 2, they should be:
1. PoPs are a good idea and should stick around, and
2. Never try an in-depth simulation of the economy ever again.

I actually like the economy simulation and would be perfectly happy for Vicky 3 to have the same thing just with better data presented to the player and fixed Capitalist AI.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Mans posted:

Kinda weird just how much people think post Alexander classical history is "and then Rome exploded all over the Mediterranean" and all the interesting Punic, Sucessor states, Parthian\pseudo Persian and Indian interactions are footnotes until they're mentioned in a famous battle where they get their faces shoved in by the Romans.

It's very :911: in a way.

It pisses me off. Eumenes vs. Antigonus is the best military campaign no one has heard of. Don't even get me started on weird poo poo like the Indo-Greek kingdom.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The only thing dumb about Vicky 2's market besides the capitalist AI is the weird high prestige first come first serve thing.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Disco Infiva posted:

I remember once seeing a screenshot of two people signing up to be slaves.

Don't kinkshame.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Even as bad as the capitalist AI is, laissez-faire gets an undeserved bad rap in Vicky 2. The game seems built around the historical European trend of top down industrialization rather than the American one, which means you want interventionist or state capitalist parties at the start to build your economy and get everything running. Thing is, once it's already going good, you actually can just set it to laissez-faire and the capitalists have enough money to play with that their bonuses outweigh their lovely decisions and they'll just grow your economy for you while you don't have to do much of anything.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Tomn posted:

Yeah, LF is terrible for a growing economy but once you got the basics set up I've never really had the free market bite me in the rear end, and it's nice not having to micromanage each and every factory in every state.

It's also gets such a nasty reputation I think in part because a lot of the early available parties are laissez faire and new players tend to want to industrialize ASAP not realizing it's perfectly fine to just sit on your RGO income and tech up for awhile. Building factories as soon as they're available is usually a bad idea, actually, and will just tank your income to no purpose.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You guys are making me want to play Victoria again and I still haven't finished the Witcher 3 expansion.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't think war is really the point of Victoria. It sucks at simulating WW1. It's way more of a colonialism and industrialization game and any sequel should focus more on those.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The swastika is no more Indian than it is European.

It's broadly Indo-European yeah. Can be found from Iberia to the Ganges.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Back To 99 posted:

they should combine vic 2 pops with ck/rome dna and breeding

And use this in Rome 2.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Or maybe education is just more efficient in the An Cap utopia and there's memory downloads and crap for accelerated learning so you're actually ready to do your own work in your field before the age of 50.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Which is pretty funny, since the only reason there are white Italians today is because of the Germanic invasions that ended the Roman Empire.

I can't tell if this is being ironic or not.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Gonna play Cyberpunk Space Japan after my bewildering and incomprehensible eusocial insect an-cap empire.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Edit: I'm pretty sure there's a pithy saying about this kind of thing about taking an extreme position on the internet for comedic purposes

AdjectiveNoun posted:

You're a little wrong; white people have been in Italy since before the Roman Empire began, and Romanized Germanics were common in Rome since like 250 AD, since they were considered more trustworthy soldiers/generals than Italians or Illyrians - less likely to just take a legion and try to start a coup.

Trying to be non-racist by ironically looping back to the neo-fascist standpoint of "Only Germanic peoples are REALLY 'white'" is dumb.

Chief Savage Man posted:

Why do you want to play the same game twice?

Touche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I just want Paradox to do Rome 2 so I can see people shitpost on their forums about Seleukos Nikator's miscegenation and how Persians can never be true Hellenes.