Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

b0lt posted:

Stellaris should give all distances in terms of lightyears, without telling the player that it varies based on how long it takes for your randomly generated race's homeworld to orbit its star.

Paradox should apparently stick to human time for this, because I was about to correct you that a lightyear was the same no matter where you are, then realized that a 'year' is an arbitrary construct based on Earth. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

zedprime posted:

Was 4X really something people expected Spore to be? I remember more wishful thinking about Star Control 2.

Spore was immensely disappointing, but to their credit I think the hype for Spore was mostly user-generated, to the point Maxis realized what was about to happen and started actively saying 'look, guys, shut the gently caress up, this isn't Cell Stage->Diablo->Populous->Civ->(generic good 4x here, maybe Stellaris?), it's nowhere near that deep', but by then it had gone way too crazy. Of course, the original videos saying 'what your creature is shaped like has a HUGE impact on gameplay!' getting taken out didn't help.

Look, what I'm saying is, Paradox, what you need to do is fill in the gaps and make converters that goes Evolution Universalis->Stone Age Universalis->Rome 2->CK2->EU4->Vicky 3->HOI4->Europa (the moon) Universalis->Stellaris and you will officially have All Of My Money.

I think the thing I'm most hyped for with Stellaris is that this isn't like other 4xs, if something's wrong Paradox will just patch it up and, if necessary, expand it to make it better.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I don't mean that standard marketing-hype, I meant the general opinion prior to release that Spore would be all your favorite games rolled into one and would be The Last Game You'll Ever Need. The creative tools were and remain impressive, it just was that there wasn't an actual good game.

People literally were convinced that every stage was going to be a fantastic game in and of itself, and in the end it took mere hours to run through them all and hit the space stage. Even so, the species I played in Spore has stuck with me and will be modded into Stellaris day 1.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Bort Bortles posted:

I wonder if it will be possible to mod Stellaris to be the Battletech universe...

I think so, they've confirmed custom scenarios, haven't they, and given that rebellions are possible this isn't a situation where race = empire.

zedprime posted:

I think bird people are a confirmed species archetype so that's the important part already in the base game.

Obligatory SQUAWK!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

My traditional issues with ship designers is that usually ship designers don't auto upgrade my designed ships while the templates do, because THAT one was Laser I and NOW we have Laser II. So if I want to design my own ships every time I upgrade my tech I have to go hand upgrade my new design. Hopefully Paradox will either be smarter than that OR have tech just make existing parts better so I can just click a button to say 'upgrade this fleet with better parts'

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly to be fair to Ubik, wasn't it revealed that his family was basically complete and utter pieces of poo poo who forcibly committed him for whatever reasons?

E: Apparently, on the same page that was linked! :downs:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Danann posted:

A fun option would be to have them go rogue and go take over a nearby system or two and create a new nation out of that.

Give them massive tech boosts and casus belli on all former nations belonging to the Federation and you've got an interesting midgame scenario. Maybe have them change governments, too.

So basically what I'm saying is let them go Clanner as gently caress on us and that would be amazing.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Paradox is pouring fuel on the Stellaris hype train on their twitter, they're suprr excited about tonight and their latest tweet is something scheduled for 3 PM Stockholm time tomorrow (10 AM EST for us Yanks).

I've got a gut feeling of a surprise launch. But that might just be that I want Stellaris so bad. If there is any studio that could pull it off it's Paradox, their userbase is devoted and large but niche enough that they don't need much marketing hype.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Not entirely, I'm sure Obsidian will have a presence but Paradox has been pretty clear that at least Stellaris has something major to be announced, widely speculated to be at least a release date and most optimistically 'surprise it's out now'.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Funso Banjo posted:

No one is seriously thinking the game is going to get a "it's out now!" Statement. That's so not going to happen. Optimistic isn't the word for that kind of hopefulness.

If it's out in the next 4 months I'll be pleased.

Let me dream man :(

I know it's probably not, but I do think it will be before May. They said on the PCGamer video that leaked they're polishing and balancing.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Paradox's stream is about to begin:

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Puella Magissima posted:

It's an okay couch at best imo

Romans dined on couches, Rome II confirmed!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

God drat it Paradox why release on May 9th, a Monday, when you could release on May 6th, a Friday?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I cancelled my Victoria III pre-order, and will not pre-order again until I actually can and I'm not just scribbling the words 'Victoria III Pre-Order BINDING LEGAL DOCUMENT DO NOT STEEL' on paper.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, this is a non-issue. If you want NATO counters because you're a military nerd, they're there. If you're like me and don't really care that much, I'm sure Paradox's counters will do a good job of 'glance at that, oh I recognize that icon it's supposed to be a horse, I know that's cavalry, I don't need to remember what's what'.

Now if you want to make fun of Paradox's artistic skills, that's another thing, but don't flip the hell out because they're actually doing the right thing and giving both sides their favored options.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Is Turtledove actually any good? The only thing I've read from him is the short-story The Road Not Taken (which, if you haven't read it, is alternate history where FTL travel is super easy and the galaxy is controlled by Age of Sail level civilizations, that is, until one of them decide to invade modern-day Earth (because we just somehow never figured it out)).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

Listen to this dude.

You have to allow character renaming. This is an essential A+ #1 feature which must make into the game.

Look, I don't know about you, but I clearly remember the Pdox forums freaking out about CK2 babies being renamable because of the ahistorical nature of people naming their kids stupid things, and anything that could generate more tears from that crowd really is an A+ #1 feature.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Tuskin38 posted:

Earth should be Terra if you're not playing Human.

there was a image on twitter, I dunno last year? don't remember which dev, but they had found earth as another species but it had been wiped out by nuclear war, if I understood the tweet.

or maybe he blew them up. either way it was devastated.

It was after self-inflicted nuclear winter, and none of the planets had their names- Mercury was Sol-I, Venus was Sol-II, Earth was Sol-III, and so on.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

wow yeah just like sitting 3 meters away from my screen or zooming right up till individual pixels take up most of my field of view. can't wait!

Look, let's be fair, if ofered the chance to play Stellaris while sitting in the Illusive Man's office from Mass Effect, every single person here would take it. Some guy whipped up an Illusive Man panorama for Virtual Desktop, so I'm really looking forward to getting my space racist on in style.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

The Narrator posted:

In the east, the Bhutanese dragon rises.

Byzantium civil war with the Republic of Crete breaking off.

Do the Scottish-dominated UK from Wiz's Azerbaijan game (is that the right source?)

Drone posted:

Hohenzollern, I think.

But rebuilding mods for some of the more famous goon LP's of old (Hohenzollern, Jerusalem, maybe Texas) would be pretty neat.

I think the Scottish UK was from Jerusalem, the Hohenzollern UK was pretty standard.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Dark secret:

I may be casually working on a Blorg Invasion mod for CK2.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

To be fair Paradox games are usually small enough that the download doesn't take long and niche enough that they have a 0% chance of, you know, smashing Steam into bits like some large releases probably come close.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

As I said, niche enough. I'm mostly comparing this to, say, a Skyrim, or peak-popularity Call of Duty, where you can count on a metric fuckton of people trying to download. Comparatively, Stellaris will probably have at most a few hundred thousand on Day 1, and the download will be small enough the limit will be your bandwidth rather than Steam's servers, even if it was a massive download.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Wiz posted:

I used to have in-progress games of Axis and Allies 1940 with both boards standing for weeks at my old place (a single turn can take hours when you're using both boards). My cat would walk over the board all the time and never knocked down a single piece.

What I'm saying is that cats are very respectful of boardgames.

This is when you realize you should be playing the lottery, because the idea of a cat not messing up a board game for weeks is literally impossible.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I applied to the beta but haven't tested a Paradox game before, what exactly does it entail?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Drone posted:

So who's going to take over Crete LP 2.0 once we hit release :v:

We will send a hitsquad of Goons to kidnap Wiz, lock him in a basement, and force him to run it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Can someone supply some goddamn links so I know why the hell I'm supposed to hate Tyler Carpenter and glorify in his (apparent) firing?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Shark Sandwich posted:

Thinking about making a Rome mod that covers a massive empire that was at its height from 1836-1936 or so. Not sure what to name it yet though :thunk:

Wolfe of the Steppes because you're clearly talking about history as it should have been with New Old Greater Great Bulgarian Empire.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I have a feeling they're flipping their poo poo about the introduction of points/"mana" ala EU4, right?

Honestly when Vic3 does come out it will probably have points. That's probably what they're freaking out about more than anything, that points are here to stay and won't vanish into the ether.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I use "mana" sometimes because points as a word by itself could confuse newbies as to your score or something and "mana" make it explicitly clear I'm referring to generalized points. Though as in my previous post I always point out they're called points.

I could use monarch points but that's offensive to republics you loving legislophobic fuckwads.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Nosfereefer posted:

It worked out remarkably well for a remarkably long time, to be fair. Loads of prospective emperors. Loads of gladii. A worryingly declining amount of denarii.

It was doomed when they got rid of the triarii.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

The difference between CK2 and EU4's DLCs are that by and large CK2 focused, especially early, on adding and focusing on entirely new playstyles- Muslims, Pagans, Republics, as ex as examples- and while everyone got a handful of new features they weren't ALL given to everyone. Only morw recently have they been altering parts of the game, new Council mechanics with Conclave, new disease system, China. Even then they overhauled systems rather than just added them.

EU4's entire map has been playable from the start so new features were generally added to everyone.

If you play CK2 as a Catholic it's still fairly close to launch's play experience.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I think the difference now is planets are mostly do-once than let do what they do. You're not manually upgrading every mine, your mining districts remain mining districts.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I'll admit to always feeling a degree of affection for the city of Tarentum in southern Italy, because of always starting as the Brutii in Rome Total War.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Hell it's been said about Stellaris and I don't see Vicky 2 coming out yet.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Hell, the people who code the AI probably aren't even necessarily the same people who work with events.

If a bug pops up while you're in the process of fixing another bug, even if that bug isn't related to the first bug and you just happened to discover it, it isn't ignoring the first bug to fix the second, or to notify someone else who CAN fix the second bug while you keep on the first bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Imperator: The Sequel To The Crete LP