Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

So is there any way to play Darkest Hour windowed with Windows 10?

Run it windowed with the resolution *slightly* smaller than your native res (i.e. edit the .ini to be like 1900x1050 if you normally use 1920x1080). For some reason this works (and runs at normal speed not the crazy lag you get in full screen) but don't move the window because if you do and it touches the edge of the screen it crashes.

No I am not joking and I have no idea why this fixes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I just found out that one of the EU4 Random New World scenarios is "Secret Denmark" :v:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What's it like?

An advanced Zoroastrian Danish Republic in the new world.

But it's also a super obscure reference to a goofy bug in the very first release of the EU4 to Vic2 converter that bungled on the country names and changed Greenland to "Secret Denmark" and Mexico to just "Mighty".

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The only time I've played Germany I couped them to Democratic first.

With all the national focuses giving you war goals and the fact that this was the release version where other countries wouldn't sanity check their focuses, it worked out mostly the same except I wasn't Hitler spreading fascism.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Wasn't the guy who coded Victoria 2's economy some crazy Thatcherite who wanted to have the model prove the :smug: superiority of the free market :smug: but instead because your Capitalists are all pants on head retarded the way to actually have a winning economy was always state capitalism or full communism?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Is there a way to decompress/deironman an EU4 save? I've been trying to convert my completed Ottoman ironman game to vic2, but the converter keeps failing and based on what I've been reading it's because it can't read compressed saves.

edit: Found a tool called Ironmelt that managed to do it. Time to see if my Ottomans can survive another 100 years!

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 18, 2018

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I always assumed the mandatory choice of damaging purge vs. damaging civil war was for balance reasons, since it forces the USSR to have some sort of disadvantage early in the war to prevent them steamrolling Germany as soon as the war in the east kicks off.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It's only Barbarossa so if I recall the start of the game Hitler declares one major city the ultimate objective that will totally collapse the Russians if taken (I think the options are Moscow, Stalingrad, and maybe Leningrad?), and you win if you take that city before time runs out.

Naturally the game assumes that no, even losing Moscow wouldn't have instantly lost the war for the Allies so after you if you win the game basically says "Well good job but the Nazis still lost the war so here's what happens to you personally". Throughout the game Himmler is constantly asking you to help him with war crimes either directly or indirectly. You have the option to go along with it, which gets you favor with him and can net bonuses, look the other way, or lodge an official protest which pisses him and Hitler off and costs you resources for your offensives (the game is half managing bickering Nazis, half wargame).

However at the end if you actively helped Himmler in anyway, you lose anyway because you get hung at Nuremberg. I think looking the other way gets you sentenced to prison, while constantly lodging protests allows you to avoid Nuremberg.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love a modern turn based take on Victoria, but I guess what I want is an Imperialism 3.

A finger curls on the monkey's paw and somewhere in the world, an AGEOD dev starts writing the first lines of code for Pride of Nations 2.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

MAME actually emulates a number of old Soviet and East German arcade games if anyone ever wants to actually try one. Overall, they're bizarre at best and completely unplayable at worst so I wouldn't really recommend it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Decoupling political and economic systems is going to own.

No more mandatory command economies with Communism. You can instead have all your factories be worker owned cooperatives instead and let them deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

The 3D figures get to be the best part because you have such a top-tier character creator on account of it, the DNA system is super robust so you can track family resemblances

Only Paradox game to get a Monster Factory episode:

https://youtu.be/bs0zhMCul5Q