Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Vicky 2 still doesn't have an icon on Steam. I am le sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

Given my opinion of previous HoI games, I couldn't disagree more strongly.

But hey, maybe HoI4 will break that streak. :unsmith:

Yeah, seriously. Hearts of Iron, in my opinion, doesn't do wargaming as good as other wargames, and doesn't do nation state game as fun as other nation state games. It's a kind of mashup game that doesn't seem to do anything too well. It reminds me of Sins of a Solar Empire which took the worst aspects of both genres it was trying to blend and turned it into something somehow worse than the sum of its parts.

Maybe HOI4 will be different though. I'm willing to find out.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Wolfechu posted:

So apparently I can get Rome gold for $2.50 right now. Worth it, if I've never played anything Paradox older than CK2, or is it just going to drive me crazy with an ancient ui?

It's a bad game.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Groogy posted:

Huh I didn't know alchemy was a thing in real life

(Long story short, when I did the Christmas patch I found out that Artisans know how to perform Alchemy. They can turn fish into steel, etc. etc.)

I think you'll find that this does justice to the time period and is thus superior.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Are you suggesting that governments hurl money into a hole filled with researchers and whatever they get back, they settle for?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

EU is a bad game.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Sry.

CK2 is good. So is HOI4. I don't like HOI4, but it is a good game.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

CK2 is a much more coherent whole compared to EU4. Besides, you can ignore educating your thirteenth kid; you can't ignore moving your armies around to siege every last province.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Would there be a gameplay downside to just having the battles instaresolve the tick they're joined? Spontaneously I'd say it seems like a good idea.

If this was implemented, I'd like it to pause the game ahead of combat.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Why does everyone want to play a game that they can't understand so badly?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Jazerus posted:

in the victorian era nobody understood the economy except marx and horrible decisions were made because of it

it's more authentic to the period to have everyone desperately stumbling around grabbing random colonies to try to get the market to go their way, with a vague understanding of the mechanics but a lot of unseen pitfalls to fall into also

That sounds awful.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Albany?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

CK2 is probably the most believable strategy game out there because it's so organic. I wish EU4 was more like it and much less clumsy. It'd work well. The whole era should be about the emergence of the nation state and the crushing of the personal political organization of the middle ages.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I only enjoyed EU4 on release. BY the time the first expansion came out, I'd stopped playing mostly.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

The big issue is the number of game systems and currencies ballooning, with many of them having poor to no interaction with other systems, often being little more than numbers going up independent of what is going on in the game. Innovativeness for instance just happens, with minimal input from the player and little effect on the gameplay.

I agree with this. I have the same issues. It's a very bloated game. My feel is that the game mechanics don't seem to add up to a coherent whole like a CK2 does. I'll still most likely purchase a EUV--but I can only hope that it gets pared back and focused.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Doesn't EUIV have a genocide button for colonizing? At least, it did when I last played it.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

After the PC Gamer and RPS articles, Imperator has my attention.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'm burnt out with paradox fans and I only look at the forum once a year.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I hope Vicky 3 changes the game mechanics each time you play so you can never know how the game works. It's more authentic to the time period.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Hopefully there's a fully-fleshed out late antiquity DLC. That's one of my favorite time periods.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’d love to know what Paradox devs in here are thinking when these massive lists of detailed ideas on how to make a game. I guess they’re all numb to it from their own terrible forums.

Paradox fans are the worst. If you were a Paradox dev, and you had the forum you do, would you listen to fans?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I don't play CK2 to role play. Role playing has always bored me. I like CK2 because it feels like an organic representation of government with good reasons for things happening. I'm looking forward to Imperator for that reason.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The only time I ever had fun in a HOI game was HOI2 Doomsday with friends when we formed the super alliance of Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Poland, and Romania, knocked out Germany in 1936, made Italy Yugoslavia's puppet the next year, started WW2 against the Soviets and fought them until everyone ran out of manpower and we all sat watching each other with no troops until 1946.

Sadly you can't have fun in HOI games since HOI3 and the annoying alliance mechanics.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

TorakFade posted:

No no no no buddy, you won't get away so easy. Your games are so bad that they took away my ability to feel human*, and I will expose you for the fraud company you are and make sure everybody on the internet knows it :mad:

But seriously, when one of the first reviews for Imperator Steam showed me was, and I quote almost literally, "I finished a game in 35 hours, UGH, why is it over so quickly - NOT RECOMMENDED" (and a few others of the same quality), I immediately ignored everything else because people are clearly insane.

*for anyone not getting this, an important reminder:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/casualisation-and-streamlining.647344/#post-14632431

What in the flying gently caress is that thread? Why do these games make people so angry?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I hate wehraboos licking things.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

But it basically is a board game and not a living society.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Redeye Flight posted:

I'm also going to hold the unpopular opinion that I want Victoria 3 to actually be a game. Vicky 2 may be hilarious in how it captures the impenetrability of the era but it's not like it'll stop existing. I want to actually screw around in the most fascinating century of history without feeling completely unsatisfied with it all, and having zero effective control does that.

Unpopular here, but thankfully what the devs will actually do.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'm just glad that whatever the game they arw announcing, they won't be looking here for design advice.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I dunno, I always liked V better than IV. IV was too complicated. Civ is a beer and pretzels game.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Wow, 200 new posts in the Paradox thread! I wonder wha--

Oh.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Skill trees?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I made the mistake of browsing the CKIII forum. This Deus Vult thing is like a magnet for morons whining about history and free speech.

History buffs are the worst loving thing because they know the outlines of history without actually knowing how the field functions so they get pissy about these kinds of "controversies."

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

It makes an excellent point.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

As much as I love Vicky 2, even it failed at living up to being Vicky 2.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

It's actually an unfun game. But relic is really good at making games with potentially interesting ideas that fall apart in implementation and are prone to enormous abuse.

It will never cease to amuse me that in both CoH games, the Germans get stronger as the game goes on while the Allies get weaker.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I liked the first Dawn of War. It felt like a tabletop game.

But these days, if I'm RTS'ing, I'm playing Age of Empires DE or Wargame Red Dragon.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I keep trying to get into Total War games, but I can't. The last one I enjoyed was Medieval 2. Since then, they just make me want to play a Paradox game. Particularly since I don't care much for the tactical battles.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I like Age 2 DE. Haven't done MP yet though.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

EU4 would be a good game if it was about the tug of war between centralizing authority and feudalism and the growth of trade.

Instead it's about???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Sure you can. Just measure the number of the megabytes of event text.