Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Kavak posted:

Someone did ask for an 1821 start (Not really Victorian, but better than playing those 15 years in EU IV).

I think it's important that Victoria X starts with a "clean" new world where the revolts that are going to happen have already happened, instead of spain still retaining the intent to reclaim its american holdings, so no 1836 really should stay the Vicky start date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

The only thing dumb about Vicky 2's market besides the capitalist AI is the weird high prestige first come first serve thing.

I honestly kinda like it, it gives an actual concrete benefit to prestige. Though ideally i'd change it to a ratio, if there were only two countries buying iron and one of them had 100 prestige and the other 3, the one could buy 100 iron for every 3 the second was allowed to buy. So low prestige doesn't leave you COMPLETELY SOL, just really really bad off.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Gamersgate Vicky havers, I'm pretty sure you can get steam keys for it off gamersgate.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm... pretty sure you probably can fairly reliably avoid wars altogether as Any County That Doesn't Have Foreign Cores/Event Casus Belli. Wars are useful but only really NECESSARY in the event of getting bigger because of a scary neighbor likely to declare war on you.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Phi230 posted:

So is the goon opinion that Vikky 2 is not a good game then?

Generally goon opinion is 'Vicky 2 is good except for all the parts that make it Vicky 2.'

Frankly it would make more sense to me if it being a bad game was the general opinion.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

zedprime posted:

Vicky 2 (and 1 really but less cool since its got the old fashioned event scripting) is awesome as a simulator but kind of discouraging as a game for the same reason. At any given moment you can ostensibly control what is happening both in local and geopolitics, but more often you feel you are just caught in the flow of consequences of decisions someone half a world away made 15 years ago and most of what you are doing is trying not to get swept over a waterfall, which is only pointing you at a different waterfall 30 years in the future.

That's the best part.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Prussia's got a nice obvious goal (forming germany) that's got obvious steps to take (form the north german federation) and has you learn about the sphere of influence mechanic.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Beamed posted:

Remember when the Paradox Dev's official stance on the Taiping Rebellion was it wasn't important enough to be in Vicky 2? :allears:

Having been involved in that spat... the actual argument was "we'd need to code whole new type of religious rebel, rather than, gee i dunno, just giving Taiping protestantism as its state religion because close enough and spawning taiping nationalists, nope, would have to be religious rebels!"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Jazerus posted:

One of the central issues with V2's economy is China, from what I remember. If it does any better than it did in real life it basically becomes a resource black hole that starves everybody of lower rank of everything, forever.

Part of the problem I think is the whole "first dibs" system. It'd be better if it were proportional to prestige or something along those lines.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Enjoy posted:

A lot of your games do have nods towards that kind of ideology though (eg HoI4: generic NF tree has fascists and commies both branching off from the collectivist NF; Stellaris: collectivism is for slavers)

On the other hand HOI4 also has "Stalin did nothing wrong, kulaks deserved it" so I suspect it's a case of not thinking things through.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Gort posted:

This kind of psychosis leads to War in the Pacific.

I get it, though. It would be cool to be able to dig deep and find out that the pivotal action of the greatest war you had in your Victoria 2 game was "the charge of the Herefordshire First Light Hussars" or some poo poo. However, the player shouldn't have to do a shitload of clicking because of that kind of stuff, it should just be there in the background if you want to look at it, a bit like the "What ships has this ship sunk" lists in Hearts of Iron games.

That's not what the post you're replying to said at all. It's not about what the Herefordshire First Light Hussars did, it's about that Herefordshire doesn't have any young men left because they all died in a fight for two measly provinces.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Ultimately you'd probably be fine just specifically excluding the cases where it doesn't apply from those events.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Every world leader posted:

I never got a hang of the economy. I'd just fiddle with tax rate randomly until I was making green.

Hence, Vicky 2 is the perfect game.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Jazerus posted:

eu4 was more complex than eu3 from the outset. the trade revamp totally changed how you relate to the world and where you choose to expand, and is a lot more complicated than eu3's trade even though it's also much less fiddly.

I'm pretty sure for a lot of people what they really meant when they complained about simplification was the Gamification of systems that had previously been extremely Simulationist. Probably an objectively good business mood but still going to rub the wrong way those who had been fond of EU3 as a simulation.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The vague concept of "the more you suck the less of the resources you need you actually get" works it just needs to not be all or nothing. Personally I think it should tie in with prestige, if you, 5 prestige Ethiopia are trying to buy cement and 200 prestige Britain is ALSO trying to buy cements, for every 200 cement Britian is trying to buy you should be able to buy 5. That way you'd always be making at least SOME progress towards whatever it is you're looking for.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Kind of a shame that they switched over to a globe on the exact right game for a The-World-Is-Literally-Flat-On-Top-Of-A-Cube-Glorantha mod.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Pretty much the only thing directly transposed at this point is the name.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Victoria already having all the Latin American wars of independence over is extremely useful.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

zedprime posted:

The eternal economic struggle of finding a party that can cut taxes enough without forcing you to rely on braindead capitalists building boat factroys.

Just never improve tax efficiency. Then no matter what party is in charge the actual taxes are super low.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I have literally never heard the Latin version of it, just name your drat game "The Die is Cast."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

Why does everyone want to play a game that they can't understand so badly?

If you can UNDERSTAND the market you can CONTROL the market, and i like that in vicky 2 You Can't Control The Market.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Senor Dog posted:

The purge needs to be an event like the matignon strikes, not something you consciously trigger for the bonuses

"If you don't get the purge out of the way to satisfy stalin's paranoia you'll just constantly lose people completely at random throughout the game" is what I would do with it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ExtraNoise posted:

The "Field Consul" is the one you control and "play as" as the head of state, as per all previous Paradox titles.

That's only crusader kings, every other paradox title you're not playing as anyone you're just France or whatnot.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Groogy posted:

I'm working on a Tyranny mod for Imperator already.... god the new engine stuff is so nice to mod in.

How does map modding work with the new 'it's actually a sphere now,' if it won't get you in trouble?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Given that they whitewashed the atrocities they DID include, I'm not sure I actually want to see their take on including the holocaust.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean they didn’t really put in allied atrocities as the discussion showed so it’s a bad post to end a discussion as it’s factually wrong.

They include the great purge... in the form of "stalin did nothing wrong." They include the bengal famine but completely remove the deliberate choice context.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Whatever happened to the game between uhhh, the current fiasco and when it was last relevant t and good? (I.e. between the release of the pissed of Christoff game and the one that glitches out in the Society of Leopold infiltration)

It had actually ALREADY been bought up by the EVE online company, then they realised their plan for a world of darkness mmo wasn't going to work out so they stopped giving a single gently caress what was going on with it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Spritepacks aren't real DLC, that's only 4.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
So, generally there were two big players in the "don't play without it" sphere, New Nations Mod and Pop Demand Mod. New nations mod added more tags and more events, like 70% of it was literally just making historical events at least actually POSSIBLE, POP Demand Mod completely rewrote the game economy and included some weird decisions in that. HPM kinda runs a middle ground between the two.

POPs now have a demand for industrial goods as a hackjob representation of the civil construction sector because the base game has an ahistoric focus on commercial industry as the path to success but the same goods still exist instead of changing things around completely. The only new type of POP is serfs instead of a bunch of splitting things up that PDM does. I'd say that HPM basically goes about as far as you can go in changing things without COMPLETELY changing how the game plays.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Things of note are going on at basically all points in glorantha's history, I'd honestly set the start date shortly after the lunar empire started. Way way more room for different history to happen.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I still haven't gotten my Paradox forums account to work. But are there even any mods that are not on the Steam workshop?

There's a size limit for the steam workshop which some of the total conversions don't fit, but also... I think some chunks of the preexisting modern culture just never moved over to steam workshop. Victoria 2 also doesn't have a workshop I'm pretty sure (and some of those mods probably no longer have modders paying any attention even though they still work since victoria 2 isn't getting updated anymore, so even if there was a workshop there'd be important stuff just not getting uploaded to it.)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Didn't a bunch of them have to recently update their mods to work after Wiz made a final update for Victoria 2 like a year ago in his spare time?

It was two years ago, not so much recently anymore. I think some of them just got compatibility corrections by randos in their threads as well.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Eimi posted:

Is this true? I haven't followed any of the development and I was looking forward to it just because it's CK2 in an era I like even more. And with how important key figures were in that era, you would think the rpg stuff from CK2 would carry over. I'd be very disappointed if it's more EU thank CK.

It's eu:rome 2, with exactly as much character involvement as eu:rome had in the first place, which is considerable but absolutely not a dynasty simulator like CK is.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Ethiopia specifically gets really badly hit by the combo of being presented as unified at game start and quick westernization being so conquest-reliant. It's easier in any of the country-adding mods because you've got immediate neighbors to conquer for RP right from the start.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Hell, even the 1939 start date for Hearts of Iron is pretty much never used.

I dunno, for that one at least you've got one of the 'learn hearts of iron" recommendations of "just invade poland from the 1939 start date over and over until you start beating the nazi's actual time."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Tributaries were a giant problem too at the time. It was okay for europe itself, and it was okay for the places that SHOULD be tributaries, but it was a giant mess for Indian and even africa.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
IMO there's a perverse joy in watching people whine about it for EU4 specifically, I hope they never make EU Prussia blue ever.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

this is why the platonic ideal paradox game is vic 2, a game so complex and obtuse that nobody can actually be good at it

:hai:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Given the popularity of vassal swarms, I think people genuinely might enjoy only having control of one particularly large counter while the rest are under AI control.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Aside from CK, Paradox games are wargames first and foremost. Conquest has always been the main point. If you want to do something else, cool, that's respectable, but that's also not what these games are. I'm falling asleep just thinking about these heavily abstracted combat systems.

They're poo poo wargames though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Warfare sucks poo poo in every single game and regardless of what it they were designed around could be replaced with a straight up coin flip for who wins a given war to universal improvement.