Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Groogy posted:

Problem is that when you become competent and start making games not crash on launch, you are going too casual :colbert:
See Vicky 2 and the Christmas patch, game is way too casual now when it doesn't crash the first time you launch it.

Your games started going casual when they no longer crashed during the install process (as the German version of V1 did) :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

RaffyTaffy posted:

The joy of editing HOI2 save games to remove ghost fleets so we could finish our multiplayer games.

Oh god. Ghost fleets...

Groogy: Your games are also way too cheap, if they don't cost 80 bucks on release and into eternity after that, they are basically a strategy version of CoD and for babbies.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Kaza42 posted:

EUIV+all DLC= $290.55

(Yes, I know that you don't actually need all that DLC for anything, and that there are better package deals)

That is the price after years of development, not the asking price at release (I was specifically referencing WitP AE with the 80 bucks)
Additionally Paradox games go on sale ALL THE TIME, so it's not hard to pick up the stuff you've been missing with a good discount, in comparison Matrix Games has one sale each Christmas and that's it afaik.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

And monarchs were always historical. I think it was Granada who's last historical monarch had really good stats, and since the game didn't define any monarchs after him, he'd stick around for the next few hundred years if the country survived...

You could also annex any country that had an inherit event BB-free if you occupied their provinces when the event fired.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

I think there was some other gamey way of like occupying an entire country except the capital, rebels would take the capital, the country would 'collapse', and you'd get all occupied provinces for free instantly.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you still got BB that way though, you only saved on the Warscore costs.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Wiz posted:

I guess it's time to finally reveal myself as the secret puppetmaster behind the development of Realpolitiks. While pretending to be a loyal employee, I was working to bring Paradox down from the inside all along. The day of reckoning has come!

I for one welcome our new Animeland overlords.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Put vicky 2 style pops in Stellaris.

game completely hosed, but so much better.

Sorry, all your Klingon pops migrated to a newly colonised world and assimilated into pacifist Jedis, after the coming election you will no longer be allowed to declare wars and your entire manufacturing sector will shut down.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

karmicknight posted:

That doesn't sound like Available Mercenaries, the best of all variables.

If you don't run out of available mercs then you clearly are too poor :colbert:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

spectralent posted:

I'm gonna assume officers need to go with them lest you get leaderless brigades.

There is no connection between soldier and officer pops at all. All that matters is the percentage of your population that is officers, since that determines how quickly you can generate new generals, but there's no interaction between them and soldiers.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

spectralent posted:

Ah, okay. Seems weird when they're a core, but I guess it's kind of an outside-scope issue. Apparently the fix is to get high administration in the area, which is sensible.

Specifically you want bureaucrats from an accepted culture, so check if you have the right cultures accepted.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Woah Kaissereich for Hoi4 is out? How is it? I loved the poo poo out of the Hoi2 mod

They decided they needed to force DH onto HOI IV, that includes something like ten different ideologies (which means that social democrats hate social conservatives as much as communists hate fascists), the inability to make alliances outside of events due to the former point and garrison and militia unit types.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Affi posted:

gently caress playing as Aztech.

What worked for me when I played as the Aztecs was to peace out of the first DoW by giving them a gold province and like 2K ducats (they always want at least some land and they'll always take a gold province) and then westernising off that province, the second war and later I was always able to beat them even when 1-2 mil techs behind because they aren't very good at landing armies.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I want to do an Austria HRE run but I'm not sure how to approach it. I've done Brandenburg and expanded the usual way by painting the map grey to make Mega Germany but I want to work within the mechanics of the HRE and expand that way. But how?

Here's a good guide to help you get through the first 150 years or so, from there on you should be in a solid position:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI0aU3PEir0

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Mans posted:

Rome 2 when?

They did say they'd announce a new game at pdxcon.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

really queer Christmas posted:

For Vicky2, Is there any way for me, as Japan, to make Koreans and Manchus into accepted cultures or get some Japanese people over there? I’ve owned Korea for like 30 years and not a single Japanese person will live there.

Also, replaying the game makes me really frustrated in some of the archaic and dumb systems and makes me really want that Victoria 3 that won’t come until 2042.

If you want Korea to be a proper state you have to conquer them before you civilise. If you conquer uncivs as an uncivs they become states, if you conquer uncivs as a civ they become colonies.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Groogy posted:

How about "Paradox Grand Strategy: That's not the real Vicky 3!"

Right you are! :colbert:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Groogy posted:

I mean from what I remember Stellaris didn't keep crashing on first startup and didn't get that fixed until like 2 years later...
*cough* Vicky2....

The German release of V2 couldn't be installed without a patch, thanks to the local publisher loving up.

Tomn posted:

Surprise twist answer: EU5, but with Vicky pops.

Those explorer POPs take forever to focus up if you're not France, Spain, Portugal or England. :argh:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Pharohman777 posted:

Paradox has done well in historical and sci-fi grand strategy games, now they should do a fantasy grand strategy in the vein of ck2.

"The gods compelled your wife to bed a bull, and now she is pregnant with a half-man half-bull monster! What shall we do with the child?"

"Build a great labyrinth to house the beast after it is born, and toss it food and virginal maidens" (unlocks minotaur warriors in 5 years, chance of feral minotaur rebellion)

"Disown him, but raise him like any other child"

"This is a divine miracle! This child brought into being by the will of the gods shall be my heir!"

KoDP meets CK2, I can dig it!

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Playstation 4 posted:

Turns out it was a bluff. It's hard to spell.

Specifically it's Barbarossa: Groogy's Adventures in Tank Usage and Soviet Landscapes

BaGrATUSoL isn't a good acronym, needs to be BAGRATION.
So it's going to be called Barbarossa: Groogy's Adventures in Tank Identification, Operation and Naming.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'd be down for a fantasy steam punk game that is about industrialisation, colonialism and copious tesla coils.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Oh god for a minute there I thought that they were announcing a mobile game and that was the new game (I think the crowd did too since they went loving dead quiet for a second :v:)

I was in that crowd and that was absolutely my thinking at the time.

The white in the Imperator Screenshots is Terra Incognita btw, the booth for the game had some more Screenshots and it showed that at game start most of the map is in Terra Incognita.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Drone posted:

So for the goons that were able to go to PDXCon this year: was going to the event itself worth it? Someone (Ofaloaf?) had mentioned before that they kinda ran out of things to do my mid-afternoon on Saturday. Did Sunday's events/panels/etc. and the party thing make up for it?
For me, Saturday afternoon was a bit of a lull too, because I wasn't super interested in the panels that were running then, Sunday was great though, so overall a good experience again. Meeting up and drinking with goons was also a Iot of fun.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Randarkman posted:

No national holiday in Sweden today? It's a Jesus day.

Yeah, but Sweden is a heathen nation. Don't even close up everything for Sunday.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

im not really a huge fan of hoi4 but i want kaiserreich to be good soon

I wouldn't hold my breath. I was at their talk at PDXCon and asked them whether they were considering consolidating ideologies again so that they can use the vanilla mechanics. They replied that they were in fact taking about reworking ideologies, because it was so hard to to work with just ten, Chinese social liberalism is after all so very different from Italian you see?
Kaiserreich for HOI IV will always be a hot mess is what I'm saying.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Drone posted:

I always get the feeling that Kaiserreich is a good concept executed by a team that couldn't gamedesign their way out of a wet paper bag. c/d?

The underlying issue is that early on the decision was made to try and make HOI IV into DH. That's why there's militia and Garrison units, why there's ten ideologies etc. The game designers have been unable and unwilling to take the systems of HOI IV and work within that.
You have to be a special kind of crazy to think that taking away the ability to join factions is somehow a good design decision.
(Kaiserreich also decided that World Tension is a bad mechanic and only add it via event.)

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

The way planets work right now is just boring, tbh. Build the buildings that the tiles tell you to and then don’t look at the planet again for the rest of the game.

Also: go through all your planets ever time you get a new building to upgrade them all.
I'm looking forward to the tile replacement that wiz teased, gonna be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

That was the mod with 4 or 5 different Bulgaria tags right?

unite_bg32.desc