Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

France gameplay!!!!!!

"Gameplay" Its really just a overview of some of the basic game features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013

Drone posted:

Watching the Angry Joe HOI4 preview right now. I'm noticing again something that I've seen several times before: why does the game refer to WW2 as the "German-Polish War"? Does that eventually change to just "World War 2" or something like that after it becomes clear that this isn't just a normal regional war or conflicts that aren't related to the world war?

It will be kinda annoying to have the war referred to as the "German-Polish War" in like 1944.

Edit: oh man as pumped as I am for this game, I gotta say that the animated plane movement looks kinda awful. Love the idea, but they don't turn in ways that... like... are physically possible (it seems the models rotate around an axis that is located far outside the physical body of the plane).

I'd imagine you could make them smaller with a mod, and the German-Polish War is just automatically generated I believe, they have 2 months before release to change it.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013

sparatuvs posted:

It seems like every major has a potential Spanish civil war like event chain. I'm very excited about that, you can finally do a communist Germany game outside of that DH scenario that was kinda broken.

Theres a great DH mod that improves Communist Germany playthroughs. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/communist-germany-mod.613550/

Adds a bunch of event chains and stuff.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013

Tuskin38 posted:

Speaking of Hearts of Iron and War Crimes

HOI4 dev Diary on Sound and Music (with a sample song)

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-development-diary-51-music-sound-design.919038/

and a Stellaris Video DD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd2YFhvZDyQ

Really loved the sample song, if the rest of the soundtrack is of a similar quality then we're in for a treat.

So far I'm really loving the changes to HoI4, coming from ~200 hours in DH and HoI3 I love seeing some of the pointless details removed. Like, do I really care about the 2-3 fascist parties/factions inside of the German Reich, the only thing that really affects gameplay is whether I'm Fascist, Communist, or Democratic anyway, not the specific flavour of each.

In HoI4 it seems, instead of managing 2-4 different parties for each ideology, there is just a single party for any of the 4 ideologies, an abstraction of the real-world that I will happily accept because the party system provided no value to the game and served only to overcomplicate what should be a simple system.

Neobdragon fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 8, 2016

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Mussolini have a interest in the independence of Austria during this time period? It is only after a visit to Germany in late 1937 that Italy basically signals to Hitler that they don't mind an anschluss.

So with this in mind I'm pretty surprised that they're able to declare war on Austria with no repercussions from Italy in the livestream, especially with "Historical Focus" turned on.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
Hopefully there's 2 paths in the national focus tree to remove the "Home of the Free" national spirit and move towards either communist or fascist, maybe enter the war earlier after firmly setting yourself in one of those factions.

This is the kind of thing that adds alot of replayability to the game.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013

ArchangeI posted:

In unrelated news, i have installed the BlackICE mod to see what all the fuss was about (since it was apparently the mod to use as a representation for the modding DD). It's..a thing. It is most certainly a thing.

I've been a bit of a fan of the BlackICE mod over the years and it seems they just keep adding more fuss and annoying micromanagement into the game. Like, I want to manage the composition of my divisions but do I really want to go through assigning transport divisions, etc. Next version I bet they'll add something stupid like assigning cook-attachments and poo poo or else your divisions dont get supplies and die of starvation.

All this talk about blackice is making me really grateful for the division template manager in HoI4, in HoI3 just fixing the initial placement, composition and organization of any of the starting powers will take you half an hour to an hour. The most annoying part was probably refitting the composition because it involved hundreds of clicks just to ensure all your divisions had proper optimal compositions with a good balance. If you wanted to refit your infantry divisions to have a bit more support and less infantryman, or you unlocked your 5th brigade slot and want to slap on anti-tank to all your infantry, you're going to be clicking 4-5 times per division which ends up being hundreds if you're 1942 Germany pushing into Moscow.

In HoI4 I just click 3-4 times, spend a bit of army xp and the game will automatically start shifting equipment to the divisions, literally how it should be, I'm a dictator, not a supply officer.

Neobdragon fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 17, 2016

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
I think with most victory points being major Cities, the City terrain should have modifiers that support defense, especially in terms of delaying the speed of combat. On the whole, we're still seeing bugfixing, balancing and tweaks so many things could still change. We were complaining about guarantees last week and they've fixed that in just a week.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
France leaving gaps in the Maginot Line does seem pretty wonky though, I hope these kinds of glaring deficiencies are the result of switching builds between sessions and not some kind of underlying problem with the game.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
They really gotta tone down on the whole naval invasion thing, in the latest WWW the AI was attempting a naval invasion every other week or something, most of the time with colonials or regular infantry.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
I hope HoI4 can start to get more coverage once Stellaris is released, maybe we'll get 2 hour https://www. Wonder what country will be played next on Wednesday.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
The air and naval reorganization windows could be improved with some stats in the UI. Its much easier to organize air wings when you know the relative strength of the different planes you're moving around, would be more intuitive than "Interwar Bomber" and "Tactical Bomber I"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
Does anyone even know who the target audience of the "literature" released alongside paradox games is for.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-development-diary-57-poland-united-and-ready.935191/

I like the idea of all the neutral countries eventually getting their own focus trees, sort of like how most countries in EU4 have their own ideas after quite a few patches. I definitely like the new political power systems, like focus trees, makes the build-up to the war more interesting and I'm getting a massive Kaisserreich vibe from the different political paths a country can take. Just pre-ordered my cadet edition and I can't wait :toot:

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
Yeah honestly EU4 and CK2 were at their height of playability last year, before they got bloated to poo poo. I played a round of EU4 recently and theres so much garbage like estates, sailor-manpower, etc that just add fluff to the game without any real value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013

Athaboros posted:

I see this sentiment in lots of places these days -- what do people consider to be the 'best' version of EU4, then? Since you can roll back to previous patches in Steam, I'd like to compare how it's changed over the past year or two.

Heres the thing though, they've bundled alot of genuinely good mechanics with the terrible ones, I'd say anytime before Forts was pretty swell.