Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

uPen posted:

Stellaris has really turned around. It was hot garbage for a long time but the 2.0 update turned it into an actual (good) game.
The opposite happened to me, 2.0 has glacial pace, the game still feels shallow, now even more than before and it seems to me like the devs cannot make up their minds. Maybe in 3 years, I might try it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I hope there will be city of Twin Peaks.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

The Bold Kobold posted:

I'm going to boycott this game until I can play Native Americans. :colbert:
Sunset Invasion, first DLC for I:R

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Wolfechu posted:

No one going with stellaris for 'best/worst paradox atrocities', huh? I mean, aside from destroying entire planets, you can turn entire civilizations into mindless slaves, or livestock.
Sure. 2.0 is atrocious.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

bees everywhere posted:

Hmm is movement speed also an in-combat thing or is this what it looks like and their movement speed is reduced out of combat? Because I think it's pretty funny to imagine legions of Greeks marching in tight battle formations everywhere they go. "The enemy could attack at any time, boys, now form up! We've got two miles to go until we reach Athens, so we should be there by Thursday!"
Sounds like something toggled also out of combat , like raiding in CK2.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

EightDeer posted:

Where did they say that? I've seen Doomdark state that CK II is getting bloated, but not that Holy Fury is the last.
He also said there will be 14 or 15 expansions and we are at 14th (HF will be 15th)
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/crusader-kings-2-dd-14-the-road-ahead.957206/

With all these changes related to HF, it really seems like they are wrapping it up and adding detail to some remaining neglected regions/mechanics.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 14, 2018

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Crazycryodude posted:

Bronze Age Mesopotamian city-states game or maybe Egypt would be really cool.
Probably some future expansion for I:R.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Ulio posted:

First time playing a Paradox game, how do I find someone valuable to marry? Only courtiers want to marry me but I am a king and I gain no value from them.
Marry some genius/quick or strong woman from the character finder. I think it's better to have good heir than having non-agression pact with some King Nobody from Nowhere.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Koramei posted:

Johan's said the start date isn't changing in either direction, although maybe that'll change.
I thought that meant one bookmark in the 1.0 game, unlike e.g. CK2 where you could pick any year between 1066 and 1337 and earlier bookmarks were added later.
Hopefully I:R will also get other bookmarks later (but maybe Johan already said NO?)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

No horse senators then. Sad.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Strudel Man posted:

Syphilis probably didn't even exist in Europe until Columbus' crewmen brought it back with them! :argh:
CK2 has syphilis though.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I guess I:R might not be bad, but Johan is not a good writer? DDs could be definitely less dry.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Oh. :flaccid: I read "random world generation" as making a new map, not keeping the same map but randomizing the countries.
They just keep announcing new and unexpected stuff for HF, so who knows, maybe we will get fully randomized landmasses. But most likely not.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

One day Paradox titles will enable us to enact every imaginable depravity. From crucifixions along the Appian Way (-5% revolt risk) to planet killers (+150 minerals).

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Cease to Hope posted:

crusader kings 2 has a "purge jews" button though
Nah, you can only expel them.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Drone posted:

Have the devs given any reason for using Roman years instead of BCE/CE? I mean yeah :myimmersion: or whatever but you're going to get a pretty massive amount of people who don't really know much about the era drawing false assumptions about this game taking place in 450 CE, which is.. uh, a good half-millennium off the mark.
Hm, they could add it as option in game settings.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Alchenar posted:

It would be really nice if Paradox games did a check between the current checksum and the last checksum they ran on and then pulled a high level list of 'these are the big things that are new since you last played, read up on them *here* if you want'.
Hmm, Cities: Skylines already does that in a way. Maybe they could find inspiration in a game they published.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Elias_Maluco posted:

Nah, is just really weird that a game that lets you play as nazi Germany in WW 2 ignores all the absurdly evil stuff they did in this war
I guess even if they included it with suitable commentary, some people would really enjoy it anyway and now they can't, maybe that was their logic.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Eimi posted:

Paradox never figured out a good way to simulate the actual conditions of how these empires worked. Like there's no reason to keep a standing army in the rear end end of nowhere to defend it, meanwhile the Romans found tons of situations where they couldn't shift around men because someone has to guard the border. Meanwhile in like CK2 you bring down the full and total might of Byzantium down on someone.
CK2 has adventurers, raiders and revolts and I think Stellaris has patrols to keep piracy low. I think there must be some trade-off between realism and gameplay. If you are ruling big multicultural and multireligious empire in CK2, you will probably deal with lot of revolts and raiding parties, but having to deal with them constantly would be extremely annoying and sometimes it already resembles a game of whack-a-mole. But yeah, I think it is missing some mechanism, maybe something like those patrols?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

Aren't we talking about Imperator, the game with pops and migration mechanics?
That reminds me that I am considering buying I:R, but I know nothing about it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I am rather cautious about buying I:R because of what happened to Stellaris.

I think this convinced me to buy I:R.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

RabidWeasel posted:

This is not good news because my PC is definitely not up to the recommended spec
This is not something I ever thought about when thinking about Paradox title. But considering the number of provinces in I:R, maybe I should actually check the specs.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 14, 2019

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Elias_Maluco posted:

I could never understand how it is that watching videos of people playing video games became a thing

Probably a generation thing, I was already too old when that started
:same:
I can only watch short guides, sometimes. But I prefer to read a text.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

Maybe if they move to Catalonia they'll finally make a system to break up all those big blobs.
:lol:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You're posting this in the paradox grand strategy thread. A thread about games that often take dozens of hours to figure out if they're good, and evolve over time as patches and DLC come out.
I am the person that has hundreds (or hundred, idk) of hours in Stellaris and I would still write negative review, because I was getting more and more disappointed with the direction it was taking.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 3, 2021

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Eimi posted:

Sins of a Solar Empire deserves a sequel that improves the exploration and economy bits to be as fun as the war parts. Sins is everything Stellaris combat wishes it was.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Alpha Centauri sucks because nowadays you have to buy it on Origin
I think version sold on GOG doesn't require Origin.

edit: sniped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Rynoto posted:

CK2 still getting 3-4k concurrent players consistently kind of blows my mind.
well, the base game is free