Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Ok I'm still missing something. I put my army supplies and soldier pay up to 100% and 75% (anti-military party in power so that's the best I can do) and my soldiers&army score remains at .066, left it at that spending for a year of game time and still at .066.

That's got to be a bug?

What country are you playing? An army score of .066 sounds really weird, even as a tiny tiny power you should at least be able to get a couple of points unless you are an unciv with only a few irregulars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
The new Stellaris DD about planets https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-9-planets-resources.891510/

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Will this be Paradox's Spore?:gonk:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Wiz posted:

Look one post above the one you just quoted.

Well to be honest I was exaggerating on purpose, but apparently not enough. I am looking forward to Stellaris and have no real strong opinions on tiles (what I am really hoping for is that it's an experiment to try out new mechanics so they can be implemented in Victoria 3).

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
HoI4 DD about civil wars:dance:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Gamespot has published a preview of Stellaris http://www.gamespot.com/articles/stellaris-is-civilization-in-a-massive-sci-fi-univ/1100-6432516/
Among other things they write that administrative governors that govern sectors of your empire is a feature and that they can try to secede.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
HoI4 DD https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-35th-development-diary-27th-of-november-2015.892871/ About Germany and their interesting focus trees

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Oh man, that almost makes me want to play as Germany. Too bad about the whole holocaust thing.

And no, I can't just "ignore that".

Nice post and name combo

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Did France get buffed in the Vicky 2 beta patch? They're actually no.1 right now in my game and we're up to the 1910s, something I've pretty much never seen before as the UK, US or Germany often trumps them easily.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

What happens when it turns out your investors end up wanting Rome 2? Or that Hellenistic DLC for CKII?

You're hosed now Groogy. :getin:

If this is the only way to make sure Victoria 3 gets produced then so be it. Who needs retirement funds anyway

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Enjoy posted:

It wasn't very good.

I don't think they planned out the target audience very well, it was basically the Sims in a post-Communist setting

There were no ideological components, it was purely about the party politics and winning elections, and the violence was very cartoony. The worst you could do was intimidate people by beating them up, and there was no possibility of insurrection even though the government had tanks and soldiers marching around (they just beat people up too)

If I remember correctly I thought it was quite okey though a bit shallow (and not at all up to the massive hype). Kinda like a friendlier, somewhat easier Gangsters. And on a related note, I wanted to see who made Republic and happened to note that the guy who founded the company now works with the AI that beat the Go champion. Worlds collide.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

After lots of trial and error I've managed to form Super Germany in Vicky 2 by June 10th 1845.

Unfortunately it lacks Schleswig because I forgot about it and just ended up sphering Denmark. I think I could do it quicker, the United Kingdom got itself tied up in a war with Russia and France for Western Canada and so they had a truce with them until 1844. I shouldn't have pussied out and just went to war with France immediately myself, I had no trouble taking them and Russia on with the very limited support the UK did give. Still, under 10 years to form fuckoff huge Germany is pretty good I think.

Almost as impressed by a fully formed Italy by 1845. How did that happen?

For my part I just completed a campaign as the Ottomans where I strove to become a fully modernized, democratic welfare state while keeping all my European and African possessions at the historical peak. Me, Germany and Japan dismantled Russia, France and the UK over the course of the game. I had, among others, Croatia, Hungary, Serbia, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, Algeria, Morocco, Persia, Greece and Hail as my sphered friends.

Quite satisfied with my score, but I kinda slacked off on industrialization and just let my capitalist build what they want and the pops promote on their own. But this was partly because I needed to keep my national focuses on soldier promotion the entire game through simply to keep up with my swelling army and keep my hungry neighbors (Russia!) at bay.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pimpmust posted:

Super Germany forms the EU over 100 years early, peace reigns in Europe for a thousand years.

Super Kolonialism follows, bad times are had outside the continent.

Everyone speaks German, tea is outlawed.

Are you Philip K. Dick?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

So is hpm the go to mod nowadays for V2? Is it any good?

HoD and NNM is all you need. And the new beta patch.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

GaussianCopula posted:

vs.

I'm not sure what the first picture is supposed to depict (It's supposed to be a horse I know, but it could also be a cow, zebra or a number of other animals) while the second picture is clearly depicting a unit of cavalry and you just have to marvel at the timeless beauty and functionality of a NATO symbol, which for me increases the immersion factor by a lot.

We all know of the famous and feared zebra regiments of WWII.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
This is a worse semi-ironic derail than the whole bonuses/bonii poo poo.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Gamerofthegame posted:

look at what you did

I do maintain that it's still a better derail than the previous one. But it's also a sign that one should never underestimate the nerdiness of paradox players.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I want a mod based on the setting from Iron Storm.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I think some of people's issues with Stellaris is either that they are new to Paradox and don't know what to expect, or, like me, going from a maxed out EU4 to a bareboned new IP. It is still a lot of fun (as my 13 hours of playtime can attest to) but there are also many missing pieces that are sorely needed like some simple map modes and a more consistent AI. So it's like Eu4 when it was released: fun and quite addictive with loads of potential, but also loads of stuff that should have been fixed or noticed before it was released.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Things are going quite good for Paradox, Stellaris and HoI4 are both in Steam's top 10 at the moment.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
And it will be great.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

corn in the bible posted:

Soldiers are capped at 5% of a region. Set a national focus for them and also raise their wages to bolster growth.

Focuses are less effective with higher percentages so be sure to move the focuses around, usually when you get to 3%

They're not capped, not as far I've seen at least. It's more that 5% soldiers is a good mark to hit if you plan to war for any extended period of time. And I'd say there are several pops you want to go above 3%, craftsmen and clerks, for example. While you obviously don't want 3% capitalists in every state. I usually try to hit 5% soldiers, 2% clergy, get some states with at least 0.5% capitalists, and then use the rest of the time to promote craftsmen and clerks at a 4/1 ratio. Party loyalty can also be good depending on if you're a democracy or not.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I don't get why the Paradox hate seems to have multiplied lately, both in this thread as well in the separate game threads. Yes, the games are, as always, somewhat buggy and unbalanced on release yet quite fun and with lots of potential. We all know that that's how they're going to turn out, so why do people seem to be a lot more angry nowadays? I'm not saying that it's okay, just that it can't be news to anyone that this is how Paradox games are.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

mackintosh posted:

A lot of people appear to be pissed Stellaris turned out to be a pretty balloon filled with a lot of hot air and not much else. This might coincide with the fact that Stellaris seems to have brought in a lot of new players, as opposed to Paradox veterans who are used to this kind of thing. To be quite honest, I'm ever so slowly getting tired of hand-waving these shortcomings away. HOI4 better deliver.

I fully agree, and in the long-run it's bound to affect their brand, especially now that they are becoming a lot more mainstream. My hope was that with the success of City skylines, Stellaris and so on, they'd have the capital to let their games sit for a couple of months longer and fine-tune them and add more content. This far that doesn't seem to be the case, but we'll see.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
The air part of HoI4 isn't that complicated. Click on the air base you want to use, press the add air wing button and decide which plane type you want to base there. Wait for them to arrive. If you want to have more planes there, you press the number to the left of the planes and draw the slider to the number you want, that makes it so that any new planes produced will be added to that wing. After that, select the wing and right click the region you want to operate in to deploy them there. Then left click the region and decide the mission(s) you want them to do. If you want to move them to another air base you just select them again and right click the new base. The same goes for making them operate in a new region. It's like 5 clicks to set up everything.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Some interesting info about sales

http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2016-21-06-paradox-interactive-reveals-worldwide-sale-figures-for-stellaris-hearts-of-iron-iv-and-europa-universalis-iv posted:

Paradox Interactive has announced the global sale figures for three of its most important internally developed games, which includes the recently released Stellaris, Hearts of Iron IV and Europa Universalis IV.

Hearts of Iron IV, Paradox’s World War II-themed grand strategy game, has sold over 200,000 copies since its release on 6th June, while Stellaris, the developer’s first sci-fi grand strategy title, has sold over 500,000 copies since 9th May. Finally, the world-conquest grand strategy game, Europa Universalis IV, recently reached the 1 million copies worldwide milestone, which doesn't include sales of expansions and other downloadable content.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pharnakes posted:

I wonder how much of Stellaris 500k was pre orders? And how many pre orders HOI IV lost from Stellaris fallout.

I do think that a part of it - although small perhaps - is that people only bought one of the two and then plan to get the other one further on. I was planning to do exactly that until the Paradox curse sunk its claw in me and I bought them both on release day.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I felt my answers were really the same to every game. I always replay to see other sides of the story and the world, never to min-max.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
They had at least sold a half million copies by mid June.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Groogy posted:

I raise you a game where you can eat your son at a banquet and marry a horse

My EU3 hours though is somewhere like 3 000 hours but that was before Steam.

Scrubs

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
You've probably manipulated your stats just to look cool and be able to talk down to us lowly players, you paradox thug

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Groogy posted:

You should play it in MP, especially with the beta patch where me, podcat and wiz fixed a bunch of issues. It's really great only important thing when setting up the group to play with is that you put the biggest douche in Great Britain. It is vital.

Is is stable with the beta patch? I love V2 and have probably put in more hours into it than eu4, but that was before Steam's time, and would love to play it in multi. I've avoided it, though, since I always thought it would desync and stuff.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I used to finish a lot more of my EU4 games but nowadays I mostly do the achievement and then quit. Kinda sad in a way since i do like the advanced cbs and stuff.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I agree with the poster that suggested a weighted system. For instance, making the AI prefer taking land contiguous with its mainland and instead setting up puppets and satellites elsewhere.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Swedes can be summed up like this

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

AnoHito posted:

Eh, that doesn't really bother me too much. Honestly if I'm gonna be killing Nazis, I want it to be absolutely clear that I'm killing Nazis.

Sound reasoning, except that you're in the minority that actually wants to fight Germany instead of play them. :(

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Last I played HPM I got annoyed at how much stuff it adds to the game, which also seemed to make it run slower. I would recommend NNM instead if you only want some more countries and stuff

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

amotea posted:

Couldn't find a vic2 thread, gonna post in this thread.

Just started my first game of vic2 ever (have played eu4, hoi4, ck2 a lot): picked The Netherlands, immediately declared on Belgium with help of ally Prussia, managed to re-annex Belgium.

Then a few months later there's a popup about a crisis started by France, Prussia doesn't back me, and now Belgium is taken away from me again :barf:. Is there anything I could have done to keep Belgium? Seems like a lot of effort gone to waste by a few popups.

Suck up to the major powers so they'll back you instead, but since you annexed them so fast you probably don't have time enough to get their opinions high enough.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

COOL CORN posted:

I think that's what I don't like about V2 - there's a lot of just... watching things happen, and having marginal control over them.

That's actually what I do like with it. Makes it seem so much more like a real country that you merely can nudge in certain directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Your aim should be to create Großdeutschland and nothing less.