Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

DStecks posted:

I think some kind of epilogue slideshow would be ridiculously cool in theory, but probably insanely hard to make it work as anything more than a very shallow "Then there was a Cold War between WINNER FACTION 1 and WINNER FACTION 2".

War, war never changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Britain's parents shipped him off to military school. Belgium and the Netherlands grew up to build skyscrapers. Germany went to college and became a pediatrician. France played triple A ball and never got to the majors. The USSR got really into the sixities and no one ever saw him again. America grew up and married Wendy Peffercorn; they bought the Five & Dime and they still own it to this day. Switzerland lived to be 199 years old... in human years.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

I remember that day in history class.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Now that Paradox is exploring the future with Stellaris, I keep thinking about how much I would like a near-future set dystopian cyberpunk game. You could control either a corporation battling for increased market influence/control or a nation state struggling to stay relevant as mega corporations begin to challenge their power. No clue about how the game would work other than the general concept of the blend of Syndicate and Paradox grand strategy being hugely appealing.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Mans posted:

not sure how adding dragons to catholicism would make spain more tolerant

They would make costumes, you see.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Mister Adequate posted:

no

i will fight you for jeff goldblum's honor

I'm sorry but it looked generic and terrible as hell. And I say that as a guy who quotes president Pullman's speech to this day. Goldblum was the only thing that got me to finish the trailer.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

On that note, why is every species humanoid? Even the fungaloids are just 2 arms and 2 legs stuck on a torso with a weird shroom like head.

Because we're all made in God's image, dummy.

Edit: drat beaten

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Westminster System posted:

I think it has a lot to do with some of the Fungi on Earth that do really semi-sentient things that creep people out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_unilateralis

Such as everyone's favorite mind controlling fungus.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

I thought that was just in X-Files.

The X-Files is pretty much just a dramatized documentary.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Wiz posted:

AI tends to break frequently when being actively worked on, don't fret over it.

Don't mind the man behind the curtain.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Yeah I attribute random tech trees to how I can play Alpha Centauri for years and years without getting bored of it.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

I can't help but want a light-hearted Stellaris themed expansion for eu4 now. Maybe aliens can decide to uplift some OPM who gets massive tech discounts. There could be some sort of religious crisis where provinces may decide to abandon their traditional religion in light of the existence of a more advanced alien species. Obviously another comet option like "I want to believe".

Oh, and better representation of China.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

Things happened in Canada after the War of 1812? Huh. Who knew.

Yeah, Michael J. Fox was born.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

nothing to seehere posted:

I personally don't like assymetric FTL types: removes alot of your ability to force a decisive battle by limiting options. If the enemy fleet can jump anywhere in X range of their nearest planet, you can't really defend stuff in X range well.

Don't you remember your Battle School? There is no defense in space, there is only attack.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

I just imagined a world where people felt as invested in the decisions of their local government as closely and passionately as they do to the choices of videogame developers.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

zedprime posted:

Does absolute collectivism count as direct democracy or fascism?

Fascism I think, cause if you allow people to vote for expanded individual rights then you are no longer absolutely collectivist.

Absolute collectivism registers to me as The Hive from Alpha Centauri.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

It's also the sole required resource to build the monolith.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

I know there won't be mechanics for it, but I wish I could annex smaller factions and break apart big empires by playing as a race of shapeshifters and replacing key leaders with doppelgangers.
I really just want a moment where I can imagine the horror of an entire planet as their dashing and beloved federation president orders the fleet standing guard to another sector, leaving a clear path for my encroaching invasion craft.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

nutranurse posted:

I play in terrain at least 95% of the time...

Are you on the pill from limitless?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I like Fall of the Samurai because it's the closest we've gotten to some modern era in a Total War game.

I wish they would try creating a game that covered parts of the late 19th and/or early 20th century in Europe or the Americas but I don't know how they'd get the gameplay systems they've developed to work with things like long range artillery or aircraft.

But I digress; still looking to this weekend's Stellaris event to see if we have anything new to talk about.

Warhammer should give us an idea of how they're gonna handle more diverse unit types like that in the future.

Finally getting around to watching the world war Wednesdays, I really like how this Troy Goodfellow fellow explains the game.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

"Paradox is in danger of becoming the junior partner in a personal union with the Kingdom of Electronic Arts"

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

I like how Goons/The-Net-At-Large immediately think everything is going to go full-exaggerated EA whenever a company talks about this sort of thing. Or anything, really.

That said, I'm surprised there is a "need" to do it if they're already a publisher. Forgive my lacking BUSINESS 101 but why would they need to ipo our to someone if people ipo out to them

You have a child's optimism.
I envy you.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

So... the Paradox Forums? :ironicat:

The difference is Paradox has no fiduciary duty to their forums members. They will have such a duty to maximize their stockholder's returns.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

He's obviously referring to Vanuatu land diving.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_diving?wprov=sfla1

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Absolutely nothing would make me happier right now than the surprise removal of NATO counters.

You blew it you weirdos.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I really want someone to do the math then draw what this napoleon would look like off of his horse.

I used a lot of very complicated calculations.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

cool and good posted:

Get a bigger monitor

Sorry you still use a monitor to read the internet Gramps.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

I sincerely hope that the paradox devs have created a drinking game based on how butthurt they can make their fans based entirely on insignificant details with no bearing on gameplay whatsoever.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Have any of you seen Emma Chase and Shadow Hitler at the same time? Makes you wonder...

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Not WWII, but if anyone has a hankering for a good CYOA game here's one:
https://www.choiceofgames.com/broadsides/
Set during the Age of Sail on Not Britain.

^^^^^^^^ every time they add an option to the comet event an angel gets its wings.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Because it offers no additional value? That people pay for cosmetic DLC baffles me too.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Mans posted:

might as well eat food on the floor like a dog if you can't own 100% of your game

Why not both?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A fully-fledged National Dog DLC, where different combinations of dogs in your faction unlock synergy bonuses for everyone. This I feel would add a lot of interesting gameplay considerations to the game, and add an immense amount of replayability.

I hear that all the dog files are already completed and in the released game, they are just waiting to sell it as dogloadable canine-tent.

Edit: I'm so sorry

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

I am a Menshevik.

Boyshevik

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Frogfingers posted:

Sunset Invasion was Paradox dipping ones proverbial toe in the water and having it chomped off by nerds. Understandably they don't want to jump into any wacky themed DLC headfirst any more, but its a sad state. We could have wizard DLC or some kind of age of heroes Arthurian/Nibelung scenarios today if it were a happier universe.

Though if it was skeleton DLC I imagine that would be bare bones as well.

I seriously doubt that the Sunset Invasion backlash turned them off wacky DLC. I would be surprised if we didn't eventually get one for HoI4 considering that the focus is so tight there are only so many "historical" expansions that they could reasonably make content for.

I think the only reason there hasn't been one since Sunset Invasion is that the well is just so deep for "historical" expansions to CK2 or EU4.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Well now that they are public they have a legal duty to attempt to maximize shareholder return, so expect more of this kind of thing.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

The canceled project was in fact "Spiritual Successor", which would have combined ck's ruler succession system with a Pokemon-style ghost hunting game where you try to capture the spirits of responsible, level headed people and then marry them, ensuring that your estate is in good hands when you pass from this realm.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

ExtraNoise posted:

Some more company news this morning: https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/paradox-interactive-to-strengthen-team-with-new-ceo/

Paradox has a new CEO, Ebba Ljungerud. The people on reddit are already making GBS threads their pants, I'm assuming because it's a "female", but they won't just say it in such words. According to them this is the final nail in the coffin after the disasters that were HoI4 and Stellaris. lol.

I'll admit I'm a little wary, with words like "gambling software" (her background) and "mobile gaming" being thrown around in various other news sources. But she's been on the Paradox board of directors for four years now, and was probably made CEO for a good reason, so I'm staying optimistic.

Edit: vvvv :smug:

(Your post was better.)

The good reason is money. That is the only reason the board of a public company makes someone CEO. The board thought her background in gambling software would create the best return for their shareholders relative to the other candidates.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Trogdos! posted:

I thought that post was about EU IV, didn't know it was from last year. I hate the direction that game has taken and haven't played it since like 2016.

Good thing Stellaris is getting better over time at least.

Yeah, eu4 got to a point where I just locked it at version 1.14.4 (after cossacks, before mare nostrum).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

"used to" nothing, anyone outside of SA would still tell you that the word goon is synonymous with hired thug

https://youtu.be/YK2Mrh8HPIQ