Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ShredsYouSay posted:

shoulda used unity

Guns of Icarus online is a Unity game by a small crew which was doing first person multicrew battles where you run around using turrets and putting out fires and fixing damage and piloting the ship 3 years ago. It is far, far better than anything CIG has released or even shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Hamburger Test posted:

They should pull all insurance. So if you ever lose a ship, you have to rebuy it at full price real or ingame monies.

oooh the LTI poo poo WOULD BE WORTH LIKE 10 more moneys

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Hopper posted:

Word of caution, if you are used to teabags, loose till can be very strong and keep you up at night. I drink enough loose tea it doesn't affect me but I had people drink tea and then not be able to sleep for hours.

Yeah, I've definitely noticed this. I have a Chinese breakfast tea and a few cups of that hits me as hard as coffee it feels like. I never drink any after 5-6pm. I think I'll see about grabbing some tea with dried fruit in it, though, that's a good suggestion.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Beer, I want to apologize on behalf of the goons who ruined you, as they ruin all things.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lol I got an email for CIG saying my account is suspended on suspicion of RMT

had to send back my ill-gotten pixel money and hoping I can even get my account back lol

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
drat, they have it out for registered massage therapists now?

sandi's fuckin losing it

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
RMT?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

had to send back my ill-gotten pixel money and hoping I can even get my account back lol

Post the email. This will be amazing if CIG goes after all the third party ship selling because they see it as money they missed out on.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

I thought CIG approved of the grey market.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

I do care but Rome was not built in a day you see

No but it collapsed overnight.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

real money trading

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Wafflz posted:

They do. They don't approve of selling entire accounts. If I get the account back I can probably sell the ship that's on it for $150.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Real Money Trading.

Wafflz posted:

They're much less approving of selling accounts, which I think is what happened here. Ship gifting for money is grey, account selling is black basically.

E: Doublebeat.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

kordansk posted:

No but it collapsed overnight.

Oooh I like that extension of the analogy.
It was also run by fat idiot man children as well

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Day 14.

Despite having a ticket number in the 333k range (and seeing 334's and 335's get their refunds) I am still yet to receive a refund.

I cited their toxic forum and moderation crew as my reasons for requesting. Got the "are you sure? Our moderators do a thankless job" email from Sandi and it's been nine days since I confirmed.

Emailed again today to ask for a reason behind why it's taking so long.

Losing hope.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I have to wonder: What does all this say about crowdfunding? Does an unexpectedly successful sales pitch leading to a sudden overabundance of wealth really cause that much damage to a person's ability to remain competent?

Kickstarter rewards people not based on whether they are successful, but based on how well they can persuade backers that they might someday be successful. Convince enough people that you might someday do something great, and you suddenly have more money than you know what to do with and, at present, few safeguards in place that might put your winnings at risk should you then gently caress up and fail to deliver. What does that do to a person?

How many people in this world really have the discipline and integrity to be responsible with ninety million dollars that were suddenly entrusted to them based on a promise they made?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Adventure Pigeon posted:

So when the all-out collapse starts, who will the brown sea blame? Us? Derek Smart? The Escapist?

Should I pick up some tea on the way home?

And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

2DCAT posted:

Cocoa the gorilla

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

LCL-Dead posted:

Day 14.

Despite having a ticket number in the 333k range (and seeing 334's and 335's get their refunds) I am still yet to receive a refund.

I cited their toxic forum and moderation crew as my reasons for requesting. Got the "are you sure? Our moderators do a thankless job" email from Sandi and it's been nine days since I confirmed.

Emailed again today to ask for a reason behind why it's taking so long.

Losing hope.

Two weeks for me as well, request in 133k range. Got a response from Sandi on day one, have not heard jack-all since except automated messages about patience.

Side note- a couple days ago I submitted another request and it's at 135. So roughly 1k requests/week if that numbering system is accurate. That's not terribly hard to deal with. The lack of response is quite deliberate.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I have to wonder: What does all this say about crowdfunding? Does an unexpectedly successful sales pitch leading to a sudden overabundance of wealth really cause that much damage to a person's ability to remain competent?

Kickstarter rewards people not based on whether they are successful, but based on how well they can persuade backers that they might someday be successful. Convince enough people that you might someday do something great, and you suddenly have more money than you know what to do with and, at present, few safeguards in place that might put your winnings at risk should you then gently caress up and fail to deliver. What does that do to a person?

How many people in this world really have the discipline and integrity to be responsible with ninety million dollars that were suddenly entrusted to them based on a promise they made?

considering they should have thought of that AT THE TIME because people were basically bringing this point up in regards to how expensive some of the ships were

i dont really think kickstarter could really enact safeguards, so hopefully it's more of a cautionary tale and the kind of thing that leads people to think about their kickst--

BWAHAHA, who am I kidding, my new definition of a nerd is someone who throws money at anything that may appeal to their hobbies, particularly nostalgic appeals, without thought.

it's kind of a "clearly a lot of these people didn't think about how they spent their money" issue. Noone's perfect in this area, but if it looks like a trap, talks like a trap, and smells like a trap... and you give it your money...

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Dr. Derek, since Beer won't be able to host the CitCon Coverage show with you tomorrow, can you have Eonwe and peter gabriel host with you instead?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

RuckusRouser posted:

Dr. Derek, since Beer won't be able to host the CitCon Coverage show with you tomorrow, can you have Eonwe and peter gabriel host with you instead?

Pgabz dont do no voice chat yo. But if its text oh pleeease.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Maybe Derek could ask Peter Molyneux to call in.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Jon Do posted:

it's kind of a "clearly a lot of these people didn't think about how they spent their money" issue. Noone's perfect in this area, but if it looks like a trap, talks like a trap, and smells like a trap... and you give it your money...

It's a shame that crowdfunding fails so frequently and painfully to protect the crowd that's doing the funding. Venture capitalists have enough enough experience and bring forward enough wealth that they can attach strings to the money they throw at a project and hold entrepreneurs accountable if there's a fuckup. If Chris Roberts had eschewed kickstarter and instead somehow managed to get $90 million in VC funding, you can bet your rear end the investors would be holding his feet to the fire on a weekly/daily basis to keep his project on schedule, on budget, and up to quality standards.

Instead, Chris Roberts crowdfunded, using fancy pictures and empty promises to bait hundreds of thousands of people into forking over a relatively small amount of cash each, giving them nothing but a promise in return, and now almost all of them are hosed -- and they can't do a drat thing about it if CIG goes insolvent before their refunds clear.

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

ShredsYouSay posted:

Maybe Derek could ask Peter Molyneux to call in.

And Curt Shilling. The Faithful seem to not even pay attention to what happened with 38 Studios and how it has many similarities with CIG.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Well I got $200 out of $400 back. So this is a $200 lesson. I can live with this. I've also learned never to gift things to people. Even your friends.

See you in the 'Verse! Or maybe space court.

Jethro_E7 posted:

To my embarrassment, I genuinely thought that if they did not spend on marketing, and organised themselves internally as brilliantly as the marketing, they might pull it off. But once I started hearing and reading about CR signing off on literally EVERYTHING, I lost it.

I've learned a lot from the SC experience. About how to fleece people and how to not manage your community and sprawling multinational multi office "game" studio. A part of me would like to believe I will recoup the lost $200 later in life due to learning valuable lessons. For now I will remain a stupid sucker.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 9, 2015

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

2DCAT posted:

Lizzy Finnegan and her editor should be Daphne and Fred.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think this is a clear case of "people who are bad with money shouldn't be given any money" and isn't really Kickstarter (the site/service) fault in anyway. It's on the backers to know the dangers and potential problems.

There have been plenty of Kickstarter projects, both games and non-games, that ended up well made and on time. If SC fails, I think it'll freeze people's willingness to invest in crowdsourced projects.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Any time anyone in the thread links media coverage of Citizen Con over the next couple of weeks, if you are still waiting on your refund, make an account on whatever news site it is. Then post a polite message that you are still waiting on your refund.

Keep the message short so more people read it.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

wdarkk posted:

Freespace 2 is still cool and people still make things for it (including massive-rear end engine upgrades).

Also many of the people who made it also made the Saint's Row series so I think they were in fact given 90 million (before the publisher took most of it ofc).

Could you imagine Star Citizen made by Volition? The Saints Row version of Star Citizen would be amazing. For fucks sake, those games allowed you customize everything, and the character creation let you customize stuff as insane as the width and height of your character's earlobes.

Basically, I loving love Saints Row so much it's embarrassing.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

$pace ¢ourt

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen video shows spaceships exploding spectacularly

quote:

According to an ancient scientific study, the awesomeness of a spaceship can be measured by how spectacularly it explodes. Given Star Citizen's status as the most ambitious space sim in development it needs to observe this widely-held truth – and judging from the video above, it does.

:devil:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Goredema posted:

Could you imagine Star Citizen made by Volition? The Saints Row version of Star Citizen would be amazing. For fucks sake, those games allowed you customize everything, and the character creation let you customize stuff as insane as the width and height of your character's earlobes.

Every ship would be named after the medical term for a different subdetail of the male reproductive anatomy and none of the crowdfunders would notice.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Goredema posted:

For posterity, I decided to make a timeline of my refund "progress":

Sept 24, 6:08 PM - I send in my request for a partial refund via the Concierge form.
Sept 26, 5:12 PM - Sandi Gardner asks for a confirmation of the items I wanted refunded.
Sept 26, 8:35 PM - I confirm that yes indeed, those items were what I wanted refunded.
Sept 29, 12:19 PM - Patrick Probst, via form letter, tells me that they're super busy right now.
Oct 1, 4:31 PM - Hey CIG, it's been five days since I said "yes" to Sandi.
Oct 2, 12:30 PM - Patrick Probst again, letting me know that they are so very, VERY busy!
Oct 5, 11:43 AM - Hey CIG, it's been AGES. Please refund me even more stuff off my account.
Oct 6, 2:11 PM - gently caress it, let's try a whole new ticket. Second Concierge request opened, this time explaining that chargebacks are imminent.
Oct 8, 12:35 PM - Gave them a deadline of Monday at noon, at which point I'm pulling the trigger on a whole bunch of chargebacks.

UPDATE: In 24 hours I've managed to FINALLY earn my first ban from the CIG forums, and get a response to my refund request! Apparently setting a deadline and threatening chargebacks did the trick...

I guess everything is resolved! Their claim is that they're issuing the refund right now, but until I see the money in my bank account, I'll remain vigilant. Good luck to everyone else trying to wring some money from the dry, hairless sponge of CIG.

Every ship would be named after the medical term for a different subdetail of the male reproductive anatomy and none of the crowdfunders would notice.

Pretty much. On the other hand, I had a golf cart in Saints Row with nitrous, perlescent pink paint, white gold trim, and ground effect lighting that I could actually drive around a huge city and to do fun things. In Star Citizen, I have a boring-rear end grey space ship that I can fly into boring-rear end grey asteroids until the game crashes (again).

Goredema fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 9, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goredema posted:

Paging Chip Cheezum, please propose this at the next staff meeting.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Goredema posted:

UPDATE: In 24 hours I've managed to FINALLY earn my first ban from the CIG forums, and get a response to my refund request! Apparently setting a deadline and threatening chargebacks did the trick...

I guess everything is resolved! Their claim is that they're issuing the refund right now, but until I see the money in my bank account, I'll remain vigilant. Good luck to everyone else trying to wring some money from the dry, hairless sponge of CIG.

lolwat?! They loving banned you for threatening to issue a chargeback?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Huh, looks pretty similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZD3bs4c9Yo

LCL-Dead posted:

If they didn't because of the chargeback threat, then it's because he asked for a refund. They did that to my account when I asked for a refund a year or two ago.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 9, 2015

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

Any other company and those would be unrelated. Over at the brown sea, though, Shitloaf's minions ban for any reason they feel like.

bawbaw
Nov 28, 2007
<Center Justified>

LCL-Dead posted:

He got caught up in a stop and frisk incident on the CIG forums. They found he was in possession of a SA forum account, which was grounds for immediate conviction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

LCL-Dead posted:

No, they banned me for saying that CIG is cool with people sexually harassing women using the CIG chat system, as long as they express zero doubts about the magic of Star Citizen.

What can I say? It was late, I was annoyed about Beer getting banned and :lesnick: being such a Persistent Universe of feces, and I decided the best outlet for that was to be a sarcastic rear end in a top hat on the CIG forums. They were apparently so angry about it that they completely deleted my post and a dozen others, so IT NEVER EVEN HAPPENED.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Paging Chip Cheezum, please propose this at the next staff meeting.

Say what you will about the Saints Row series (especially 3 and up), but they were fun. They were actually fun to play, even if they were full of immature poop and dick jokes. When was the last time anyone not on the autism spectrum had fun in Star Citizen?

My dream team for reviving/finishing Star Citizen ten years from now is Erin Roberts and his colleagues from the Lego games, plus a whole bunch of Volition developers from Saints Row. We might not get the Best drat Whatever The gently caress Ever, but we would get an actually fun game that is actually playable and actually gets released.

Goredema fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 9, 2015

• Locked thread