Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm off sick from work with flu and this has made my day easier, could really do with some kinda podcast or video about it so i can listen while I writhe around, groaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Literally Kermit posted:

No but he IS sniffing it :gonk:

a heady brew

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

so i'm not going to read all this thread

what happened, is star citizen refunding people?? details, man!

Derek Smart who made a bunch of games nobody played or liked started to wind up CIG by basically saying what everyone has known for like the last 2 years: Star Citizen isn't coming out in any state resembling what they've promised at this point and the feature creep is gonna kill the game.

A few ex-employees of CIG started talking poo poo too and a lot of what they said lined up with what DS was saying so game journos are rubbing their sleepy eyes and Escapist actually did some no poo poo sorta journalism, shocking and outraging the Star Citizens who responded by buying more $900 ships.

Oh also Chris Roberts spent 8 hours writing a response to the Escapist article that adresses maybe two points and spends the next 9000 words savaging Derek Smart (who has nothing to do with the article in question other than hes been saying similar things) and calling the author of the article a Gamergater. Its an incredibly bad peice of writing that confirms the major thrust of the accusations: that nobody can control Chris Roberts and he doesn't have any idea what he's doing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

quote:

I decided last week that I will continue to throw money at this project on a monthly basis for however long it takes. It might not be that much, but it's my way to say FU to nonsense like this.
So empty your wallets and let's weaponize the Hype-train!

Man the comments on the Chairman's meltdown are ... interesting.

Also a whole shitload of people buying the $900 ships and begging Chris to start a stretch goal to get lawyers to kill Derek and the Escapist.

My favs though are the ones where all the people decide they're making history and going to save PC gaming (which is... as strong as its ever been?) and liken people pointing out that $90 million dollars and 3 years later theres sweet gently caress all to show to people who called the Wright brothers or Abe Lincoln mad.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Do you have to pay for each module or something? I saw someone talking about the FPS module being $5 more than they said it would. Are they selling people the "game" peicemeal or something?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I felt the screaming baby added to the ambiance.

I figured that was just your token Star Citizen fan unlike you heretics.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

SirTagz posted:

Comparing Sandy to WMD-s is cute, but I think you guys keep missing the crucial point. It does not matter if the story is true or not. The only thing that matters is the money. Do they have it or not.

Even if the Sandy is literally the devil and CR just fucks up everyone's work and does nothing good for the project - (which i am sure is not true) given enough money, we would still get SC and this poo poo with the Escapist is just a fart in the wind which will pass.

Well there's also the case of is the game possible to make?

Can you make a seamless living, multiplayer universe where dozens of people control capital ships and seamlessly transition into first person shooting inside every ship and planet? Can you do this in Cryengine?

No you can't.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

sorla78 posted:

But if they can, does that mean you don't exist?

Its somewhat of a moot point, because they can't. They might end up with an incredibly unstable sorta planetside/E:D game though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Is that Croberts calling E:D bullshit?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm not sure I understand the conspiracy theory.

I mean, a journalist writes an article about two unnamed people being fired for possibly uncouth reasons, and a couple days later that journalist sees that it was Alyssa. And people find this odd that she reached out to her?

Why?

"Oh look, Alyssa was one of the people I wrote about a few days ago. Maybe I should ask if she'd like to comment"

Same as people thinking its a conspiracy theory for keeping the sources anonymous: they're stupids.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

You'll love this. In the beginning Christ Roberts said "no subscriptions."

So this means these server costs will need to be made up through DLC. That's all and good but given SC's projected resource load they're going to need to sell a lot of stuff. If the game ever came out it would y be long before a good p2w model would be needed to sustain the PU. On top of that there's no reason not to have "in universe" advertising, like they have for the AMD mustang.

Even the mere mention of subscriptions gets the brown sea all riled up.

People are buying $900 JPEGs for a game that isn't out yet. If the game actually came out (lol) there'd be enough whales to supply the rest of the world with server access.

Also why does Christ Roberts have such poo poo hair for a millionaire?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

This is going to be extremely bad press for them, I doubt mainstream game journos are part of the cult so they'll be reporting and podcasting on this just repeating the allegations and talking about how expensive and unfinished the game is and how angry the letters have been.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Rincewinds posted:

Soooo, should I wait until 10 of October to see if there is any interesting coming or should I just ask for a refund now? I have not really followed the development beyond Beer's posts since Elite Dangerous went to Beta, and since he have gone from jovially mocking SC to believing there will be a wave of people backers committing seppuku, should I make an actual effort to get something back or just continue to ignore things?

Refund and buy the game if it comes out. If the game never comes to fruition theres a good chance people won't be refunded if it all goes tits up and thats looking reasonably likely.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

gamergare sounds like an anime term

like "my waifu is super gamergare'

theres no japanese character for R on its own, baka no gaijin

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

BadOptics posted:

Edit: The snake is Derek Smart/The Escapist

okay that one got me

e: it works on all levels because its all fake too

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Its funny on Reddit you've got people putting all their eggs in the "UK Libel Law" basket, since its notoriously draconian but also notoriously incapable of affecting people or companies in the US.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

i would have spent that money on a nice vacation or something myself. do you feel that spending 2000 dollars on a videogame is a good idea?

You don't understand, escapist fanatic, he spent two and a half thousand dollars in order to save PC gaming for us all.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Foundation was kind of poo poo.

Make a Culture series.

Why would HBO even make a Foundation series theres like one woman in it, they're gonna have to put in a whole lot of mathmatical sexposition scenes.

e: I did like how they would say things like "Space damnit!" though

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

tooterfish posted:

:awesomelon:
I'll loving cut you!

Some super nerd autist manages to figure out everything thats going to happen in a book written by a super nerd autist.

"poo poo how are we gonna get out of this bind?"

*Whatshisface shows up and saves the day* "With Science!"

Repeat every season

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

de_dust posted:

the culture series isn't gritty or post-apocolyptic enough and would make a boring as gently caress show

Theres like a whole book where the protagonist is a terrorist trying to save his people from virtual hell after a liberal intervention from Culture resulted in the genocide of half his species.

Foundation is science chums doing math.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Bolow posted:

This happens like literally once and is the first Seldon Crisis

I strongly remember it happening at least twice. Also thank you, Seldon thats the chap.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

I'm logging into the verse now for some fun times in space.
I want this to be interactive so lets decide as a group, should I:

1) Walk around a warehouse
2) Fly near some rocks

Look inside the Warehouse

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Suing the Escapist makes no goddamn sense whatsoever.

I'm super happy about it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14981-Star-Marine-Status-Update

quote:

What kind of issues are we talking about? Let me talk about one example of a complicated issue that we feel we need to resolve before the initial release. That is: something is causing weapon aim not to return to the center of the screen where it needs to go. There’s some type of lag that is keeping the aim offset from the center. We have been working on solutions involving modelling, animation, programming and scripting in order to address this and the team feels confident we’re close… it’s looking better than it had, and we hope to show you a ‘before and after’ video next week.

haha wait hold on they indefinitly delayed the FPS part of the game because they couldnt get the crosshair to stay in the middle of the screen? JEEEEEEESUS christ.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V44T0p1ICYw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP7PUUViKjI

Those are the only two parts of the game that exist, what problems? I tell you, there are no problems here man.

Was the second one recorded recently? Holy poo poo, incroyable.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

3rd Oct :lol:

Both of the tiny parts of game I can play are like that, just straight up poo poo and also hosed. Even if they weren't broke they would be irredeemably shite though ha ha

No way I am getting a refund when I have laughs like that poo poo on tap

I hate to ask because it can't be fun but please make more vids. Its suprisingly hard to find videos of how bad the game is rather than videos of people talking about how great it is over concept art.

I watched ALL FOUR of your SC videos

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Can you fly around in the endeavour or whatever the $900 ship is?

Are there any supes expensive ships you can't

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Bolow posted:

The most expensive ship in the game you can walk around in is $275. All the super expensive sperg tier ships don't exist in game in any loving capacity

holy poo poo theyr not even in your hangar?

where'd that "have you heard of a little game called star citizen" reddit guy go? I need him to explain this to me.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ngpfr/hypothetical_youre_in_your_favourite_ship_with_2/

Its really cute that they're roleplaying the game in reddit and sorta apt that the post is tagged [hypothetical]

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

To be fair, most of the SC reddit cult are migrants from the brown sea. They realized the upvote system is a fantastic way to hugbox.

Unlike a forum where you can't hide people calling out your lunacy, reddit allows you to bury opposition to your point of view to where it's pretty much deleted.

It's been able to fester and grow for the past year to where it's a seething, vapid cesspool of spergs who would do crazy things like harass ex employees, threaten reporters that post negative articles, and show alarming sociopathic tendencies.

Yeah it is crazy how reasonable most of the blocked out comments are, since anyone majorly opposed to Star Citizen will have buggered off a while ago.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

do the skins do anything or am I asking a stupid question?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

haha man I just imagined Chris Roberts coming on stage at citicon or whatever and announcing that they're shutting everything down and the game isn't getting made.
you should too, worth a chuckle

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

G0RF posted:

This is the funniest part of a screamingly hilarious disaster-- Derek's inside sources just keep feeding him new ammo. Sandi can't find the moles and in fact there may be too many to count. Their nightmare is my laugh riot.

this is all just an elaborate ARG, in a couple weeks DS will release this pic and the sender will be revealed as Battlecruiser 4000AD

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Holy poo poo this skin thing is blowing my mind.

Its like... there's so many levels.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

We?ve indefinitly delayed the question mark module because of issues pertaining to where to put them in a sentence

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm curious when I'm asked for why I am getting a refund.

Is it a test? Are they going to use that answer to determine if one is granted?

It's just so weird and unsettling when they ask if it's about Derek Smart. Just awkward.

Do they actually do that? Do you or anyone else have the text of how they ask that? Sounds funny.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

sorla78 posted:

Discolando explains why CIG cannot disclose financials:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5691637/#Comment_5691637

1) Imagine you live a responsible fiscal life (whatever that means, it's kinda part of the problem here.)

2) Now imagine your parents saw your bank records, your grandparents, your significant other, their parents and grandparents...

3) Would they all have the same opinion of how you spent your money? Would any of them NOT have a single criticism of how you spent your money? They care about you, so they will always find someway in their minds for you to improve on how you're doing things.

4) Which one of them would be right? You, who are spending the money for you, or them, people who care about you and only want what's best for you, but don't live your life and know your requirements?

5) Ask 200 people what responsible fiscal spending is, and get 300+ answers.

6) Now imagine you do this with nearly ONE MILLION parents who care about you. And the press.

Is this guy a CIG forum mod or something? Thats totally incoherent and its ominous they're taking a line on not disclosing the expenses of their crowdsourced project. I mean ominous in the way a bloody knife is long after the stabbing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

CashEnsign posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

no dw just in time m8

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Citizen Con 2015, Chris Roberts strides on stage:

"Greetings fellow citizens, unfortunately there is no money left and the game has been cancelled but every backer gets a free hour in the ball pit!"

Crowd cheers and ululates as we see a piece of paper with UNFINISHED BALL PIT JPEG written on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Doesn't matter. I got all back, except $30 from the VD store, and the cost of that awful Redacted Hoodie, which found its way into the bin.

C'mon buddy, we're all good friends here.
The important thing is you wised up in time.

She's worried about the magnitude... wait did you give them $88 million?

• Locked thread