Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Octopode posted:

Lots of independent, verified people, for instance, gave similar facts and stories about Saddam Hussein's WMD programs following the first Gulf War. Those stories turned out not to be true. The same might be true here, but no one can say for certain or not without at least attempting to prove the story, as presented by one side only, wrong.
Not A Cult Not A Cult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The joke is that lots and lots of stories written these days by journalists are literally just repackaged press releases.

I think a sign that we've reached maximum saturation is that I'm no longer sure if people took the post seriously or that I cannot tell if their responses are serious.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

sorla78 posted:

no pageviews and clicks, you?

Good journalists write things nobody reads!

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Dusty Lens posted:

I think a sign that we've reached maximum saturation is that I'm no longer sure if people took the post seriously or that I cannot tell if their responses are serious.

Yes

khwarezm posted:

Good journalists write things nobody reads!

Rupert Murdoch agrees.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Octopode posted:

They could be entirely legitimate sources, completely verified, all providing the same story. Without any attempt to find facts that disagree with that story, the only thing you can say for certain is that they all gave reports of the same story. It doesn't actually make that story true.

Lots of independent, verified people, for instance, gave similar facts and stories about Saddam Hussein's WMD programs following the first Gulf War. Those stories turned out not to be true. The same might be true here, but no one can say for certain or not without at least attempting to prove the story, as presented by one side only, wrong.

Comparing Sandy to WMD-s is cute, but I think you guys keep missing the crucial point. It does not matter if the story is true or not. The only thing that matters is the money. Do they have it or not.

Even if the Sandy is literally the devil and CR just fucks up everyone's work and does nothing good for the project - (which i am sure is not true) given enough money, we would still get SC and this poo poo with the Escapist is just a fart in the wind which will pass.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
what I'm getting from this discussion is that some people have worked is some really lovely jobs if they think a bunch of their co-workers have a massive axe to grind as soon as they leave the company.

if all your co-workers are assholes, it's you that's the rear end in a top hat

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Octopode posted:

If you are likening Chris Roberts to Saddam Hussein and Robert's Cloud Imperium Games to Hussein's Dictatorial Kleptocracy, then I think we've found some common ground.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Octopode posted:

They could be entirely legitimate sources, completely verified, all providing the same story. Without any attempt to find facts that disagree with that story, the only thing you can say for certain is that they all gave reports of the same story. It doesn't actually make that story true.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

G0RF posted:

If you are likening Chris Roberts to Saddam Hussein and Robert's Cloud Imperium Games to Hussein's Dictatorial Kleptocracy, then I think we've found some common ground.

No, I think I compared Chelsea Day to Colin Powell at some point. I'm not sure.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Now we went full circle.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Octopode posted:

not a cult

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Dusty Lens posted:

I think that they should have honored ethics in video game journalism

Well, according to the Ethics Committee on Gaming Journalism, she really did violate the ethics of...

Nah, I'm not going there. Good luck though.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Agrajag posted:

not a cult

this is getting old

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

To whichever Goonrathi member lives in Secane PA lol nice car

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Octopode posted:

No they didn't. It all came from a single extremely unreliable source that the US and UK governments chose to believe because it aligned with their agenda.

There were lots of independent, verified people saying they didn't have them. Including a UN weapons inspector, and an English expert who killed himself because he was being hounded by government goons to change his loving story.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 3, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Don't you even dare! Baghdad Bob was the only good thing to come out of that war you rear end in a top hat!

SirTagz posted:

this is getting old

not a cult

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SirTagz posted:

this is getting old

so is Octopode's aspergers syndrome

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

sorla78 posted:

Anyways. If twitter is indeed the prefered vector to establish sources, it's no wonder that investigative journalism is non-existent in gaming journalism. I would shut up as well, christ, these people are on linked-in... but I guess not compromising your potential sources and keeping communication private, is what keeps you from polishing your self-image in front of 5k followers.

That fact that she asked to speak to someone via twitter in public doesn't make them a source as we don't know if they replied or not.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Cutlass Shrugged

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Cutlass Shrugged

Where in the gently caress are all those ships kept, anyway?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Cutlass Shrugged

I'm stealing this.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Literally Kermit posted:

*fart* the hanger module *fart*

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Literally Kermit posted:

.\My Documents\My Pictures

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Klyith posted:

:aaaaa:

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Agrajag posted:

Don't you even dare! Baghdad Bob was the only good thing to come out of that war you rear end in a top hat!

not a cult

Every time you guys write 'not a cult' i hear 'HELMET!! HELMET!! HELMET!!'

loving hive mind

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Klyith posted:

god damnit

SirTagz posted:

loving hive mind

not a cult

edit: im totally sure the actions of true believers throwing more money at crobizzle to spite the escapist article are the actions of well reasoned individuals

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 3, 2015

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Literally Kermit posted:

Most of them don't even exist enough to be put in a hangar. I think they halted a lot of progress (such as it was) on the big ships because they were going to have boarding and most weren't designed to be fun maps to FPS in.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Thing is, I own exactly as many spaceships as the guy who has spent the most money on SC - and chances are I always will. For some reason, that thought makes me feel a little bit richer.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Are those unshaven mikes or...

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

AP posted:

That fact that she asked to speak to someone via twitter in public doesn't make them a source as we don't know if they replied or not.

Sure the collective rational minds on this board agree. Still, if she was a source this would have compromised her and if she is not a source, it might raise suspicion and end up being a liability. In the words of Sandi: "She is a traitor we cannot trust her, we don't hire her."

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

SelenicMartian posted:

Are those unshaven mikes or...

they're there to prevent the mic's from picking up excessive background noise

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

good morning star citizen thread.

Dusty Lens posted:

I think that they should have honored ethics in video game journalism and ensured that the party being reported on was aware of what was being published and was provided ample time to edit and correct any points that it felt required adjustment before it was published barring a collapse in an agreement regarding advertising rights which tbh may be what happened here which will make me look like a real dork.

:golfclap:

is that one of those word salads that computers make? what're they called?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

SirTagz posted:

Comparing Sandy to WMD-s is cute, but I think you guys keep missing the crucial point. It does not matter if the story is true or not. The only thing that matters is the money. Do they have it or not.

Even if the Sandy is literally the devil and CR just fucks up everyone's work and does nothing good for the project - (which i am sure is not true) given enough money, we would still get SC and this poo poo with the Escapist is just a fart in the wind which will pass.

Well there's also the case of is the game possible to make?

Can you make a seamless living, multiplayer universe where dozens of people control capital ships and seamlessly transition into first person shooting inside every ship and planet? Can you do this in Cryengine?

No you can't.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

nopantsjack posted:

Well there's also the case of is the game possible to make?

Can you make a seamless living, multiplayer universe where dozens of people control capital ships and seamlessly transition into first person shooting inside every ship and planet? Can you do this in Cryengine?

No you can't.

But if they can, does that mean you don't exist?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Bloggers.

Seriously though I should rephrase: in imagination land, this 'verse, they would be in a hanger module? What? I have to buy a whole new cheap space bus to ferry me between stations if i want to move my personal fleet to a new area. SC just gets a handwave?

Edit: this is in Elite: Dangerous. Ships just stay in the station you left them in if you buy a new one and don't sell the old.

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 3, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Markov chains.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

sorla78 posted:

But if they can, does that mean you don't exist?

Its somewhat of a moot point, because they can't. They might end up with an incredibly unstable sorta planetside/E:D game though.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Don't worry you guys, at this point Star Citizen is too big to fail, the government is going to have to step in and bail them out

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

Without any attempt to find facts that disagree with that story, the only thing you can say for certain is that they all gave reports of the same story. It doesn't actually make that story true.

The thing about bitter ex staff making a story up is that, sure what you say is possible, especially with how easily people can communicate online nowadays, but they'd have to be really really pissed off to go through with it.

The only type of thing that I can see pissing a group of people off enough to make up some stories that your old boss and his wife are breaking the law and were a complete nightmare to work for would be if your old boss and his wife were a complete nightmare to work for. If they were potentially breaking the law too, that would just increase the chances you went public because in part you felt it was the right thing to do in addition to the whole revenge motivation.

Personally, I think it's all pretty much true because if we ignore the escapist for a moment, it being true also helps explain why Derek Smart didn't really need much time to get warmed up but went nuclear with his first blogpost, which was way before a lot of the layoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

Octopode posted:

• Locked thread