Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Tarranon posted:

i will brutally destroy the first person that says it

[Star Citation needed]

In other news, I think the window of 'getting the gently caress out of dodge' via reddit sales is rapidly closing, as the ratio of sales to buys is overwhelmingly tilted towards sales (at a range between cost to negative 10 to 20% for successful transactions). But probably everything is fine, don't worry; it can all only go up-up-up!

Somebody at CIG is hopefully smart enough to have put all of this 'pledge money' to work for them in terms of investment, asset acquisition or marketing opportunities while they've been holding on to it, and will walk away with some decent tangible assets and a few million or so in pocket. If that's the case I can't see them giving a poo poo about even a few million in refunds if each one is one less eventual plaintiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Chap has a point though, it is rather daft to believe that you have lump sum A, and then deduct game developing costs B, until you have reached point C, where you have reached 0 and the game is over.

None of the People Who Matter (read: Orwin, the various Roberts' and a few miscellaneous stakeholders) are going to walk away from this with anything less than a tidy profit. What will happen is when the costs of keeping all the people around making pretty pictures and filming marketing pieces outweigh the income generated from the seed money and start seriously cutting into the piggy banks of those favoured few the merry-go-round will end and they will be looking at farting out the minimum to keep their exposure and liability as small as possible, at which point funds will shuffle around between various companies and the actual Star Citizen concerns nominally in charge of producing an actual game (hah) will be cut off and wither.

It will be a great tragedy, but at least nobody who matters will suffer, and they'll have the Biggest Crowdfunding Success Story Ever on their resume, which is nice.

Basically, this is not Star Citizen: Brewster's Millions edition, and the only losers remain the people who funded this - and it will be proved that they didn't lose, not really; just that a cruel world crushed the dream that they donated towards, and when you get right down to it nobody is really responsible for their donations ultimately being futile.

But hey, it could go another way and they could in some way get hit with something legal they won't.

In the meantime, though, watching the Smart/CIG circus is loving golden, and long may it continue.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
I'm sorry, it's been a dull morning.

(To Echo and the Bunnymen: The Game)

code:
A modest profit was my one intention,
And an average space game was my one invention.
Pride: my greatest downfall;
So I refuse to stop making stretch goals.

Too many pledgers,
Too few ledgers!
But who'd have thought,
The cash'll keep on streaming ...

Through the lying hours of our crowdfund tiers,
All the living off your dreams and fears.
Hope your misplaced faith will never fade!
'Cause we will never ... make ... this game.

Every backer's got their own good reason;
Selling Jay Pee Gees is somehow not malfeasance!
Every ship sale is another one,
That's simply never done, is simply never done.

!!!LTI!!!
And PU's almost done!
... almost done ...

And there's a better thing, we're selling now:
Forget Javelins; it's modules now!
While you reminisce, about our nineties hits,
Your money's ready ... to kiss ... goodbye.

No feature too big!
No promise too tall!
It's all just the same;
There's no rules at all.

And just as you wonder,
How we could release it all,
We'll drop an alpha ...
And it breaks when installed.

I'll never understand how you thought we could,
Come out with half of what we said we would!
When I always knew, this game ain't good,
But we just wanted, wanted, to be loved!

Hotels and cars...
Production costs rising.
Mo-cap the stars!
It's good advertising.

[reprisal]

I'll never understand how you thought we could,
Come out with half of what we said we would!
When I always knew, this game ain't good,
But we just wanted ... to bbe ...

Through the lying hours of our crowdfund tiers,
All the living off your dreams and fears.
Hope your misplaced faith will never fade!
'Cause we will never ... make ... 

And there's a better thing, we're selling now:
You buy anything; let's milk this cow!
While you reminisce (our previous games were poo poo),
Your money's ready ... to kiss ... 

Goodbye!

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Good morning schadenfriends! What's going ooo-- oooo ... oooaa ... ahahaha!

Good lord that letter isn't very professional. But it does read as written by somebody who believes himself wholly untouchable.

Fold or fight, this is going to be interesting.

I can't see it being a barrel of laughs actually having to work there through this though; can only imagine how oppressive the atmosphere is. Poor things.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Oh gosh, Escapist, you've been schooled!

Oh, wait, nevermind.

Watch them claim 'this' as a 'journalistic source', though.

Personally I don't much mind what happens between them, I just want it to keep happening. Never stop, please.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Agrajag posted:

The hell is this idgi.

Posting an article on any old site that lets you create content for them for advert kickbacks makes you a journalist, and makes you somebody that Citizens will hold up as an example of professional journalism. Nothing to see here, really.

You're a journalist, too, now. Please show some integrity!

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
gently caress the unbelievers, I'm staying in. I paid an honest five dollars to upgrade this freebie Omega to an Avenger so I'd be a 'real backer', and I'll stick this out to the bitter end!

Besides, it'll be a laugh if I end up in a class action. Or if SQ42 actually ever comes out (nope), this epic cinematic experience'll cost five dollars.

Can't moan, really. Go ahead and stick 'five dollars' on my garbage dick.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Craptacular! posted:

Thanks for your contribution; but considering we all spent ten dollars on accounts for a message board, we should probably set a minimum of $100 for public humiliation.

Didn't spend a penny on mine; the paywall came later.

Gryphon0468 posted:

You're all such huge hypocrites it'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. Not believing a word CR says but lapping up the drivel of DS and the crappy games media articles. I'm gonna be hanging around here with a big grin on my face soaking in every word you dumb asses say until CIG releases exactly what they said they would.

Honest question - why ... uh ... why do you believe this will happen? I honestly don't understand who or what has inspired this level of confidence. Please, I want to understand. Did you like Wing Commander as a kid? Was it Freelancer?

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Gryphon0468 posted:

Because I've been actually following the development, I've seen all the videos, read all the articles and seen how enthusiastic CIG are to make this game. I've met Chris Roberts in person in Melbourne last year. To those who follow development at the source rather than take the word of anonymous goons and trolls on the Internet, it's pretty clear the progress SC has made.

Okay, but you've had access to exactly the same information we've had - and we've been following this over here since day one (and, frankly, taking the piss out of it since day two). I mean, more power to you if you truly think there shouldn't be anything at all to show for over four times as much money as the given initial ceiling, and four years of development; speaking for myself I don't think meeting one man in person could suspend critical thinking to that degree unless he was Derren Brown.

When do you believe you will play the game you have been promised? Do you think it will be 2016? Would you be annoyed if it was announced as 2017? Or later?

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Oh Christ, it's this, isn't it. It's people who want to completely replace existence - everything, family, friends, life experiences, the lot - with being a virtual pilot in a virtual spaceship doing the same thing over and over again.

Put that way, it doesn't really matter how much money you spend on it. Not really. It's just silly numbers in a life that you're wholly uninterested in.

Well now I just want to find everyone who's pledged more than a couple of hundred and give them a hug :(

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

quote:

... The party was now a mortally wounded party. All the fun had gone out of it, as the occasional broken-backed pirouette could not disguise.

The longer, at this point, that it avoided the ground, the heavier was going to be the crash when finally it hit it.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Fil5000 posted:

First Encounters was a buggy piece of poo poo when it shipped, to the point that PC Zone's feature on it was illustrated with a picture of a turd wrapped in a bow.

It did let you dump cargo containers full of slaves onto the Eiffel Tower though.

This is true, but I loved the way the newspaper interacted with the plot. It was pretty basic, but the idea of being able to read up on where the profit was - and it actually happening in game, wowzers! - or being picked out as the rear end in a top hat who assassinated some dude or bombed some installation was amazing back to me back then. Wonderful idea, dodgy execution; especially with nobody giving a hint of a poo poo once you're tooling around the galaxy in (really, I'm not sure I have to spoiler this) a thargoid warship.

Anyway, if they manage to pull off the fully developed ideas that were mere seeds back in that game in E:D they can have my cash forever*; that's a fun game to play. It looks like they're driving at that, so who knows? What's this about a space plague anyway? INRA related hijinx? Are they kicking all of this off now?

E:

*Sorry, since this is the Star Citizen thread let me clarify: 'have my cash forever' means I will purchase their product and/or service once released and once I am satisfied via multiple third party sources and opinions and my own appraisal that the product and/or service will meet a standard of quality and scope that I am confident I will enjoy. 'Purchase' means pay the asking price offered at time of purchase, and not a penny more.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 7, 2015

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Holy hell that's a lot of goons being censored and banned in the twitch stream.

Star Citizen: Kerbal Space Pogrom.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
To be perfectly fair, while his game is bleedin' awful, he's jumping on the easiest target in the history of gaming and he might be borderline certifiable but he's got his life in order and can sit there and chill in the face of a hundred neckbeards daring each other to ring his doorbell and run away, so I don't think there're any winners in that stream there.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
There was a definite cut at the top of the lollervator, and it wasn't a POV cut either. Also Mr McKeyboardfingers wasn't doing anything that related to anything on the screen. Would cheerfully bet the farm on 'not live'.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Well, I for one agree completely with this sentiment: http://pastebin.com/2GdfSfS0

Provided you ignore the even numbered lines

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 11, 2015

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Well, we did say the backers had Stockholm Syndrome...

Holy meatballs, this thread. This goddamn thread.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
This is fractally funny - the more you zoom in on a detail the more there is to laugh at. I can't wait to see what these mandelbro's come up with next.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

drkeiscool posted:

this haiku under
development, no release
date, because gently caress you

Feature creep pushes
Release date past our lifespans
See you in the hearse

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."

name-arse-tea

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
That is not the way to be accepted, Seraph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Reminder that this community previously vomited out a lengthy report of the mental state of another person.

Voted DSM-:five:

• Locked thread