Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

:catdrugs:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W6as8oVcuM:catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I think at this rate Star Citizen is "expanding" faster than the visible universe is. Hopefully it will be a "completed game" (it will not) before heat death sets in.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Seeing as how the SC community wanted to put loving rape into their spaceship game I'm not really surprised dickpics don't count as :smug:provable sexual harassment:smug:.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

http://www.escapistmagazine.com posted:

There was a grim and near-universal feeling of guilt that almost all of the people who spoke out shared. "You have to ask 'at what point are you taking advantage of someone?' There's a certain responsibility," CS3 said in regards to the backers who have contributed large sums of money. "Like, I felt like we should have gone to their homes and made sure their kids were eating and dressed. It starts to feel like a gambling addiction after a certain point. It was hard not to feel guilty."

Let's not even get into the eventual suicides.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

"Early 2015". hahaha.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

He says "Derek Smart" 20 times in his response. Holy poo poo.

DEREK SMART DEREK SMART DEREK SMART!!!!!

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Raskolnikov posted:

I hope someone screenshots the whole thing before it gets [REDACTED].

Needs to go into the OP tbh.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Irrational Man posted:

All I'm saying is "ethics in the gaming industry" and "woman hating" has a rather conspicuous and recurrent overlap

I think most people are far more troubled about her being a short tempered racist than being a woman. If it was a man that pulled the same poo poo it would still be uncalled for.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The OP has been updated with far more relevant information

I agree.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Oh god please link that poo poo.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

^^^^Smart will play all the roles.

Thanks. Totally not a cult btw.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

The comments on these are pretty good:

quote:

*chuckles deeply* This might just be CIG's finest hour... the moment almost 300 employees put there collective feet down proclaiming there defiance in the face of trolls, lies, and slander.

Scythe// Glaive// Merchantman// Karthu-al// Reclaimer// 890 Jump// Constellation Phoenix// Redeemer// Vanguard Warden// F7A-M// M50// Avenger//

quote:

I am not going to read that article. I feel they have gotten too much attention as it is. Know that we are cheering you guys on with our
+42
My wallet is whimpering more and more as I read up on the Endeavor 8)

quote:

Up until today I had no intention of spending more money on SC. I'm fully aware of the drama before today though.

However, after seeing the mud journalistic piece from The Escapist and then CR's response, I feel encouraged to spend more money when my next paycheck arrives. I'm also considering taking advantage of my situation and flying to one of the studios to take a first hand look (I have cheap/free flight benefits due to family in the airlines).

If anything, the article from The Escapist has solidified my fascination with Star Citizen and CIG as a company. It's common knowledge that the closer you are to the top the more people will try to drag you down.

quote:

quote:

Maybe you and other not disgruntled CIG employees/ex-employees can send a letter together to Escapist to tell your side of the story...

HR nightmare. Someone could say they were forced or felt pressured to.

:psyduck:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

NOT A CULT GUYS

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

AP posted:

The $90M crash of Star Citizen

Above is very interesting, I wonder who else is going to start talking now.

The only thing really interesting is that this is the first voxday post I've seen that isn't a long screed raging about "nefarious SJWs" ruining his :qq:precious sci-fi genre:qq:. Also it's pretty rich the Robert's brought up GG when voxday is the leader of the "Rabid puppies" and he supposedly (in the linked post) helped out CR in the early days of the project.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

AP posted:

Ok explain it, you get one chance at this, don't blow it.

Don't use a single three-letter acronym, preview your post before you post, then edit it to make it to make the words simpler. Try to imagine the person you are speaking to thinks you're going to be barmy and instead decide to impress him with how normal you can be by talking sensibly.

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2015/10/the-end-of-1st-amendment.html

quote:

After the Breivik shootings in Norway, I said that future Europeans generations will likely regard him as a national hero akin to William Tell and Vlad Tepes. In light of the way events are beginning to take shape, I may have been in error. They may well make him a saint.

Edit: And that's just skimming the first few blogs.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 2, 2015

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

alphabettitouretti posted:

Wow those comments are garbage. Rather than attempting to actually engage in a discussion they're either whining WALL OF TEXT DIDN'T READ or accusing him of being Derek Smart.

Even for Reddit the SC sub is a toilet.

http://culteducation.com/warningsigns.html

quote:

Ten warning signs of a potentially unsafe group/leader.

Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.
No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.
No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.
Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.
There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.
Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.
There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.
Followers feel they can never be "good enough".
The group/leader is always right.
The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

Ten warning signs regarding people involved in/with a potentially unsafe group/leader.

Extreme obsessiveness regarding the group/leader resulting in the exclusion of almost every practical consideration.
Individual identity, the group, the leader and/or God as distinct and separate categories of existence become increasingly blurred. Instead, in the follower's mind these identities become substantially and increasingly fused--as that person's involvement with the group/leader continues and deepens.
Whenever the group/leader is criticized or questioned it is characterized as "persecution".
Uncharacteristically stilted and seemingly programmed conversation and mannerisms, cloning of the group/leader in personal behavior.
Dependency upon the group/leader for problem solving, solutions, and definitions without meaningful reflective thought. A seeming inability to think independently or analyze situations without group/leader involvement.
Hyperactivity centered on the group/leader agenda, which seems to supercede any personal goals or individual interests.
A dramatic loss of spontaneity and sense of humor.
Increasing isolation from family and old friends unless they demonstrate an interest in the group/leader.
Anything the group/leader does can be justified no matter how harsh or harmful.
Former followers are at best-considered negative or worse evil and under bad influences. They can not be trusted and personal contact is avoided.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 2, 2015

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Tusen Takk posted:

Can you please post this on the reddit and see what happens? Make a burner if you're worried about downvotes

Hardly worried about downvotes; haven't had an account since I forgot my password years ago. I'll make something random and see how long it takes to get removed.\

Edit: Holy gently caress that website is poo poo to post on compared to SA. No preview or anything.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 2, 2015

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Tippis posted:

…but again, it was only presentation. The actual gameplay, as neatly presented as it was, was entirely meh. The branching cinematic structure wasn't new either, but rather borrowed from the likes of Cinemaware — hell, it was the name of the company. What they did at Origin was to merge that with something slightly more complex than a static-screen minigame, which I'll admit was kind of neat neat.

But at the same time, actual dynamic gameplay, as opposed to canned branches, was plentiful in the (flight)sim genre, which had far better actual gameplay (and AI) to boot. The real difference is that the simplified gameplay and the spiffy presentation offered by the *Commander games made watered-down versions of those sims more approachable to a general public (if they had the next-gen computers to run them). By the time system of that could run those games were commonplace, other games were out that did the same thing better. Often, they were better by virtue of cutting down on the cinematic stuff and focusing on gameplay…

The guy who posted that question simply didn't have the nostalgia filter that allowed presentation to drown out a mediocre gameplay — even compared to the games' contemporaries. He accurately pinpoints the one thing that made the games stand out but which, funnily enough, also makes them less impressive in the long run. They were only incredible in that they were the first to offer that presentation, and they were only the first because most developer aimed at a more sensible platform.

Having replayed a few of the WC games after buying them from GOG, this is pretty much correct. They were cool at the time, but if you go back through them today they're pretty mediocre compared to what came along later on in the mid- to late 90's. Freespace1+2, had a great (but not really branching) campaign that was a lot more fun to actually play. Likewise with the X-Wing/Tie Fighter series of games.

Also the AI in WC was a joke; even as a kid I knew all they did was space jousting.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

:eyepop:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I agree Carlos, and that is also why nobody believed in the info coming from Deep Throat and Nixon never resigned in disgrace.

e: fb

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

:homebrew::whatup::homebrew:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

sorla78 posted:

I just have this feeling that either Chris R or Sandra R might crack on stage during their Citizencon presentation. You know just like in them movies, something will go wrong, he tries way too hard, he will rage on and curse like a loving seaman and insult the backers live on stream.

Can't we crowdfund a trip for Derek Smart to Manchester - let's smuggle him in and see them clash against each other - live.

And then once he runs out of steam a lone air horn sounds. Fin

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Rincewinds posted:

So is this refund deal all or nothing? Or can I hang onto the starter package?

This is what I got:

quote:

Hi BadOptics,
Thank you for your request.
Just to confirm you would like a full refund and to close your account?

Could you please cite any specific press articles or otherwise that prompted this request or give any other reason/s for it - this would greatly be appreciated for our records and to help to resolve your request appropriately.
Look forward to hearing back.
Best,
CIG Customer Service Team

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Gryphon0468 posted:

So many bites. I can barely keep up. And here I thought you guys were adept at not feeding trolling behavior. Oh and I've never played WoW. EvE Online off and on though.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Nauta posted:

what the gently caress just happened here im not reading 300 pages of new posts

Edit: The snake is Derek Smart/The Escapist

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

bres0048 posted:

Gryphon what will come out first, SC or GRRM next book?

:eyepop:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

:3:

Song goes great with SC; what is Star Citizen? How high IS Chris Roberts?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

No stretch goals :smug:

I legit laughed at that.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

khy posted:

So is Star Citizen still eventually coming out or not because I don't even know anymore

It already came out, but instead of a video game it's now a cult where you imagine the game of your dreams while looking at jpg's.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

tooterfish posted:

You gotta be loving kidding me...

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Klyith posted:

Even better, the potential jpegs used to be represented by question marks, so you had an item that looked like this

I think one of the alien ships sold for around $200-250 with that dumb question mark for several months.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

Holy poo poo this skin thing is blowing my mind.

Its like... there's so many levels.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

sorla78 posted:

Discolando explains why CIG cannot disclose financials:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5691637/#Comment_5691637

1) Imagine you live a responsible fiscal life (whatever that means, it's kinda part of the problem here.)

2) Now imagine your parents saw your bank records, your grandparents, your significant other, their parents and grandparents...

3) Would they all have the same opinion of how you spent your money? Would any of them NOT have a single criticism of how you spent your money? They care about you, so they will always find someway in their minds for you to improve on how you're doing things.

4) Which one of them would be right? You, who are spending the money for you, or them, people who care about you and only want what's best for you, but don't live your life and know your requirements?

5) Ask 200 people what responsible fiscal spending is, and get 300+ answers.

6) Now imagine you do this with nearly ONE MILLION parents who care about you. And the press.

If my parents loaned me thousands of dollars for a specific reason then they sure as poo poo have the right to criticize my spending habits if it's blow going up my nose daily.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Octopode posted:

They created this and several other skins after the original Kickstarter campaign because during transition of stuff between Kickstarter and their account system, lots of people ended up with $5 in RSI credit, but there was nothing in the system that cost $5, so people asked for something to spend the credit on and CIG made these.

They haven't been "made". You can't use any of that poo poo even for the ships that are "in game".

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 5, 2015

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Bootcha posted:

I HAVE BEEN INFUSED WITH GREAT PURPOSE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRsEF953n0

:drat:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Haha, if the suggestion that things are, perhaps, not going well is enough to make you sick, then it's probably not a good idea to throw more money into the project.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/287623/thank-you-chris-roberts-sandi-the-team-and-all-the-backers

quote:

My first PC was a dx66 and I remember loading up wing commander as my first game with my dad teaching me dos commands so that I could run the game when I got in from school. My dad bought me my first sound card days later and I remember hearing wing commander for the first time and being blown away.

Chris Robert made my childhood amazing, I lived the dream of being a star fighter pilot and I will never forget the joy wing commander gave me.

Nothing Will change my support for Chris Roberts and the whole team at RSI. You have my thanks and I am honoured that you are sharing SC with me, all of the backers and everyone still to join.

No click bait rubbish or the views of a bitter washed up ex game developer will ever change my views of you and the whole team behind this amazing adventure that we are all taking together.

Thank you and see you around the vers.

Not a cult. Love how Chris Roberts made his childhood amazing but gently caress YOU DAD!

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 5, 2015

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

"Well that DSmart/gamergate rant worked out pretty well, now let's accept a "currency" that's only used to buy drugs and C/P."

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

In a desperate bid to keep his supply of drugs flowing, Christ Roberts transforms the RSI website into his own personal Silk Road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Can't wait to read the next rambling letter from Chris and/or his lawyer. :allears:

• Locked thread