Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Yep that settles it - these numbers are awful - Derek Smart was a costly affair and silencing out was as bad a strategy as scheduling a ship sale on the same day and month battletech and divinity 2 came along - I expect them to change their communication approach shortly, ensuring everyone everywhere everything is fine. Maybe we will get a financial statement after all. If the reported cash burn is true - this might be their wake-up call, ship sales aren't going to cut it anymore and you better have some great gameplay content ready. And it all started/escalated because of wulf knight was a dick.

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
In line with the Top Level Actor Bench that is being used to compensate for Chris Roberts broken dreams to become a great Movie Producer and Director...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4156346/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
Shows that their Casting Director was/is Gail Stevens

Over here at IMDB is her Profile, which might indicate that a lot of bucks might have been spent here:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0828412/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr5

Besides a lot of trash, she casted for
- Zero Dark Thirty
- Slumdog Millionaire (She was Danny Boyle's ex wife - they divorced in 2002)
- The Chronicles Of Narnia
- Sunshine
- Death at a Funeral
- The Descent 1 + 2
- 28 days later
- Trainspotting

In other news, Tom Davies, Gameplay Programmer at CIG Austin, who was let go (or maybe decided to go) is now Gameplay Engineer at Oculus VR.

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 30, 2015

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

SirPhoebos posted:

What is "LTI"?

Love
Those
Idiots

It's an extra tax added to the ship prices for a game that most probably will never come out.

Edit. tax as in taxing your wallet

(Life Time Insurance if you hoped for a real answer, which according to the creator is a non-issue and absolutely nothing to worry over but regarded by the community as valuable, driving sales and letting you sell stuff with a surcharge on the greymarket)

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 30, 2015

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

shart shitizen

Kick it, kick it again.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Brandon Evans is now a confirmed fire.

Brandon Evans
Former UI Programmer at Cloud Imperium Games
Santa Monica, California
Computer Software
https://www.linkedin.com/in/bcevans

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
wow - so much pain.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
As it stands Chris R seemed to have entered the ring with a verbal This is Bullshit, and there's not much he can do now.

Either he releases a financial statement as requested by Derek Smart and he is showing the world that CIG is indeed in a financially stable position
or he releases Squadron 42 next week, everything else seems to end in Star Citizen going Supernova.

Fun times ahead. I could hear Ortwin screaming, No Chris, Noooo. Also why the hell is he trying to pull in Gamergate.

Interesting that SA forums have pretty much uncovered most of the points raised by the article of escapist (which also makes me really wonder if there really were any sources involved at all) There's nothing really in there, that we didn't know already from the last thread.

Unless DS is slamdunking the whole thing with his big uncover on Citizencon Day.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

CrazyLoon posted:

There is a significant difference between speculation, based on what some goons can see from the outside, and 7-9 employees coming from different e-mail addresses of people, that were confirmed to have worked for CIG, being able to confirm all of SA's speculation and add some additional poo poo waffles on top to boot.

I mean cripes...I never once remember anyone on the outside so much as hinting that Sandi was racist in the office.

I thought that we had a glassdoor review stating that racism was a thing in their hiring policies, which was brought up by AP in the last thread, I think somewhere between the burger threads - IIRC. If this article was published by the guardian I would trust their claim to have sources, however we are talking about gaming journalism. GAMING JOURNALISM. Did we really forget how bad they are? And IMHO there was nothing in their article that they couldn't have constructed out of reading the last SA thread together with Derek S. Twitter.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

CrazyLoon posted:

Yea! It sure doesn't exist! That news item, that pops up top of the game launcher?! Nope! That doesn't exist at all! :laffo:

Yea, I hear you on that and like I said...I get that this is gaming journalism and it's not a non-zero possibility, but it's still extremely unlikely they'd make up 7-9 fake email accounts and orchestrate all this poo poo for the lulz.

ˇ Ahahahahah...well, looks like Forbes thinks it's legit. :D

Indeed, nine ex-employees and their concerted email exchange isn't digging up new information instead re-enforcing what we we already knew? This just underlines how bad Gaming Journalism is... and they wanted to be quoted as CS1 etc. I don't know, this sounds really constructed, there's a clear procedure how you quote sources in Journalism, but yeah Gaming Journalism.

Anyways, Star Citizen is going Supernova, let's see if we get a hollywood movie out of it, it definitly feels like the face-off between Chris R and Derek S is close, I am intruiged to see what happens on Citizencon. Is Chris R delivering, or is Derek S burning it down. The Pitchforks are on-site and Hyper News Network is crowdfunded to report live from the hot zone.

... and what is Dick Wulfe doing now?

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
r/games reaction:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3n4csq/star_citizen_employees_speak_out_on_project_woes/

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
It's certainly interesting that the escapist quotes nine emails and there are nine glassdoor reviews... I don't know, as I said if you were a journalist and you had proof about racism and all that poo poo, wouldn't you fish for more information, wouldn't you start to ask questions, maybe put together an interview, the info of USD 8MM is just dropped into the article without any further context or check as to how that information was obtained by the employee? The issue is there isn't much new information in that article, it's literaly condensing stuff that we already knew. I am all for burning Star Citizen to the ground if they loving messed up and it certainly looks like that - but I hate lazy fucks in gaming journalism more than anything else that just dig through information readily available in SAs "carefully researched" SA thread and the Twitter Feed of DS and calling it their own. These dingos are making money with this poo poo.

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 1, 2015

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

G0RF posted:

The matter isn't "Chris Roberts Word vs. The Escapist's Word".

It seems pretty hard to believe The Escape would includes quotes from 7 past or CURRENT employees if they were not really talking to real people. So the question you have to ask yourself is "Are 7 past and CURRENT employees conspiring to disseminate lies about Chris and Sandi, or are they telling the truth?"

They aren't quoting them, you quote with a name, they are sourcing them anonymously. And unfortunately there is no way to verify the validity than to trust the escapist and their staff, the issue is that none of their sources are providing new information, this is rather curious, if the way Sandi is described is true - there must be dozens of things to say, especially about firings etc. I wouldn't trust anyone - taking down the 90m crowdfunding project is like catching the loving white whale. Star Citizen isn't a publisher paying big bucks for advertisement, so no one cares about lost reveneues, if someone burns them down, gently caress them, we know that industry is corrupt and has no ethical standards.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Malleovic posted:

Is there a precedent for this? I'm honestly curious because I figured there'd be a reason that it seems like there are very few (non-publicly traded) companies that release stuff like this to the public under any circumstances (or am I completely full of poo poo about that?). An independent auditor? Sure, makes sense. But the public? Doesn't seem like something most private companies do.

Anyone?

Who cares, private companies go listed and have to publish their figures and have them audited, it's not the end of you business to be honest about your financials. It's only your end if you indeed have something to hide. There's no way out of this mess anymore unless CIG releases a financial statement, if they have been honest that^s the only way to shut everyone up - or they relase SQ42 on next Saturday. Anything else is just going to gently caress them on their revenue streams and they will go belly-up, unless someone dares to buy them out.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Madcosby posted:

Financial docs will prob show plenty of outside proper investments, and that they have a lot more than the $90 mil from backers (and prob spent a lot more ) and thus backers will see they've just been being fleeced endlessly

It's not like their backers would care and come to your insight, most likely they would cheer for the prospect of having more game implemented due to better funding and request more ships to pledge on.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Malleovic posted:

Erm, I wasn't asking "is it possible for them to do this" or "why should they do this", and yeah, I know what auditors are for. I was asking for someone with experience or exposure to managing access to these documents why they wouldn't be immediately inclined to do so, beyond our speculation that they have something in their financials to hide. Yes, that may definitely be the case, but we already know that. I'm curious to know if there are legit reasons why businesses don't make this stuff available to the public as a general rule.

Ok sorry I misunderstood you there.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Gorson posted:

I wonder what Curt Schilling thinks of all this.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

peter gabriel posted:

Say what you like but Chris going after Derek just because he is black is well out of order imo

Which is also technically wrong as DS is partly gray too.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
KOTAKU's Schreier is weighting in ;)

Thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1119170

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=180459500&postcount=82

Originally Posted By: jsschreier

Yeah, we've been hearing from and talking to various current and former employees at CIG for a while now. I've spent a ton of time editing and working with others on the team and we've published a couple of things so far. Part of our job is to determine what's relevant, concrete information that's actually worth reporting and what's just gossip from employees who are angry for one reason or another.

FWIW, this is one of the most disgusting pieces of reporting I've ever seen, and I'm legit shocked that any professional website would publish something like "It was also claimed that Gardiner used race as a determining factor in selecting employees, allegedly once saying 'We aren't hiring her. We aren't hiring a black girl'" without crystal-clear sourcing and evidence (and without giving the person in question a chance to defend herself).

What's really ironic is that the Escapist article's author is a huge figure of GamerGate, a movement about ethics in journalism.

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 1, 2015

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Meanwhile the fund-o-meter seems un-impressed, about 58k spent in the last seven hours.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

SirPhoebos posted:

Well this thread moves fast.

There was one part of the Escapist Article that piqued my interest:

Of all the allegations being thrown around, this has more substance than others. It seems that Chris-R didn't notice that this comes from an official press release, because his response raises a lot of questions.

If Turbulent did misrepresent CIG's involvement, that seems like something that should be cleared up, especially since this supposedly-false statement has been out there for a year. And if the software existed before they started the JV, why does Turbulent need CIG's permission to sell it to others?

Also, hit pieces usually don't give their targets a chance for rebuttal in the same article.

I mentioned something similar in the last thread. CIG was thinking of making the crowdfunding platform available to others, this was already mentioned once by CR himself years ago in one of his talks to other devs. The way they structured their legal entities could hint at that they were planning to do more than just ship one game most probably they idea was to turn their success model into a product.

Ortwin F. was CEO at Capella Films who were quite proficient to setup revenue streams through partnerships and thus driving down productions costs. I assume that CIG has/had similar thoughts.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Sarsapariller posted:

This is speculative but I blame the moderation team being co-opted by the "Imperial News Network" guys who are basically trying to be the wowhead or NGNG for Star Citizen.

Yep, Hype News Network totally sucked up to CIG.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Well Beer certainly knows that we all expect his last magnus opus: translating the chairman's final gibberish into ork.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Goredema posted:

I was successful in asking for a partial pledge. A friend of mine is still waiting on his partial refund, possibly because his "investment" was much bigger.

And before anyone asks... the stuff left over on my account is so tied up in grey market laundering, melting, unmelting, etc. that I just decided "gently caress it, I'm in the black anyway" and decide to let what's left stay on the hype train until it crashes into Reality Valley.

NOw I just need to decide what to do with my profits. I was thinking about GTA V or Angels Fall First, but I could get a PS4 + all the Lego Dimensions sets instead. In comparison to Star Citizen, that game seems very reasonably priced! :shepspends:

What about putting it into a saving's account?

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Magical Zero posted:

As a casual observer it seems almost unbelievable that a legit company would publish something like that on their website. The article doesn't really matter, that rant is like a textbook example of how to not respond to a hit piece/criticism/slander.

Most probably a combination of CR being overworked, the refunds snowballing and Derek Smart's relentless Twitter-Lingchi, the death of a thousand cuts. That Escapist article might have made him finally snap. Seeing how no one can keep the chairman in check, he did what he felt he had to do. He was also travelling to Manchester, thus I think someone like Ortwin F wasn't around to talk the Chairman down.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

AP posted:

For all his talk of Evil Publishers, Chris Roberts pitched it to EA first.

Not news. Most of the initial character art for star citizen was branded wing commander and published on Rob McKinnons PF site, this also included the first concept for the hornet, the scythe and the bengal carrier, The first iterations of AC even had a Kilrathi character asset that some exported into cryengine sdk. According to CR SC was first pitched as WC he wanted full control - which EA refused and that killed that project and SC was born.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
I am cautiously optimistic for today's RtV
http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity

What's going to happen?

-> Will Ben finally break down in Tears and confess his Scientology Membership?
-> Is Sandra Roberts finally able to control her facial emotions, or was she just a CGI Asset all the time, full of hatred for not overcoming the uncanny valley?
-> Will we see the only black guy at CIG Santa Monica to shut up the rumours for racism?
-> Will Gorf finally be able to claim the headcount of CIG Brother Henessy, with a live beheading?
-> Special Guest:

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 2, 2015

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Have we posted all the CIG blurbs on their website already, three more since the other two got published.

Allie
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5681728/#Comment_5681728

Hi there Guys

My name is Allie (otherwise known as Allie-C or the other Allie)

I just wanted to add my 2 cents into this debate. I have to be upfront, I wasn't a fan when I joined this company. I knew who Chris was and had played Freelancer when it came out. However my gaming days diminished once I found music (concerts are expensive y’all). However working at the company has made me fan as passionate as you guys out there.

Seeing what I get to see and being here with the team, you can’t help but become a major believer in this project. There is nothing but a lot of love and mutual respect within this team. That goes for CS and community guys, right up to the top. When I first came to this company I was a kid straight out of uni and it was the support and the encouragement that I got, that has allowed me to grow in confidence. From Sandi who trained me to the other CS guys, it’s always been nothing but support. I was just as excited you all were to meet them in person when we headed over to Gamescom. So trust me, when I say, my gaming days are back.

So I just want to close with a thank you to all the backers who have been just as awesome and welcoming. Your belief is overwhelming and you make our job a joy.

See you out there Citizens o7.

Patrick Probst
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5681195/#Comment_5681195

„This is bullshit“

A true visionary once said this. I don’t think there is a statement more fitting in describing what has been going on lately. Most recent developments more so than ever.

I think it is safe to say that due to our phenomenal size, we have attracted the attention of people who have no interest in whether Star Citizen gets made or not. These people are only interested in seeing things burn and vindicating themselves.

I am truly blessed and fortunate to be an OB who has made it to the ‘inside’.

As a backer who gets to have a long and hard look behind that curtain, I can say, I am not worried.

In my year here at Star Citizen, I have come across nothing but the hardest working, dedicated and most genuinely passionate people.

Not only is it an utter privilege and honour to be allowed to work alongside such people, but it is also the most fun I have ever had in my life.

From every angle Cloud Imperium Games has given me nothing but an open ear, respect and the feeling of being truly valued.
I have been working Customer Service for a long time now, and in no other company is an often neglected part of the business such as CS, valued as highly as it is here at CIG.

Here even the most junior member can make a real difference.

Erin, Chris and Sandi have nothing done nothing but give us the utmost support to ensure we’re able to take care of our backers. Anyone having worked in this field will know how unprecedented this is.

I work in an environment in which I am supported, valued and respected - companywide with no exceptions.

There is not a day I don’t wake up excited and happy to go to work with CIG.

I know you guys get worried sometimes.

Just don’t forget why you clicked ‘Pledge’ way back when – remember the reason?

The Dream of Star Citizen. That’s why.

Despite everything that has gone on, this is the one thing which has not changed and will not change.

Haters will hate.

People who don’t want to see, will not.

Unfortunately, this will also never change.

I re-pledge my complete and utter support for our Chairman, Star Citizen and our backers. No hesitations. No doubts.

- Patrick Probst

Mike
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5680600/#Comment_5680600

I try not to go on too much but I feel as though I need to say something as well.

Speaking as a Kickstarter backer and personal fan of Chris and Erin's work from as far back as it goes, it has been nothing less than an honour and privilege to work with and for Sandi. Few people have as much passion and dedication for this project as she does and it shows daily. I feel proud to be a part, however small, of this amazing team and overwhelmed by the support and raw enthusiasm I see from my colleagues. I simply cannot fathom why and how anyone would want to negatively impact this effort or make personal remarks.

I'd like to personally thank the community, chatroll and all the backers that are in this with us to the end (and beyond).

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Onmi posted:

Someone needs to go through these to see if there's a cipher begging for help.

I think, if anyone blinks a morse coded "SOS, we are being tortured" it will be in todays RtV.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
The awkward starts
http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
well that was so going to happen.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
giogetmoney: i don't understand how they say you don't hire black people but one is behind you

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
How convenient for Sandi to be off to check out the new office...

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/14727-The-Escapist-Explains-Its-Star-Citizen-Sources-Vetting-and-Respo

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Well Lisa Ohanion reads to me as someone that just wants to be somewhere else in that very moment.

But that's just me trying to read body language, as we know Ben Lesnick and co debunked any social skills as esoterical.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Wow, is Lisa causing tension or not? It looks like she is on the verse to spill something...

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

G0RF posted:

Hey Sorla-- I missed the first half hour. Anything painfully awkward? Did they address the newest elephant in the already overcrowded room?

- They are going to sell a totally unknown ship at Citizencon. (unfortunately no elephants were adresssed, but watching it causes a lot of pain - we are deep into cringe)

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Beeeeeer, you got mentioned by Ben.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Darth Vader has arrived

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
I can't believe it, Sandi is wearing Sunglasses, obviously she doesn't want anyone to read her face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
CIG announces Intern program. That's also a way to cut costs.

• Locked thread