Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Even without this whole controversy I don't see how this game is going to be any different from the other vast boring space games I've played, even if they do hit all the features they want. I mean I liked Freelancer but even with the attempt at a story I lost interest after a while. Eve and X3 were basically me staring into the abyss for a few hours and then hitting quit game. Since Roberts seems to want to go maximum sperg detail on everything its hilarious seeing people on the Reddit talk about how they'll be laughing at this situation in 2 or 3 years when the game is out and has like 2 or 3 million players. This isn't going to end up being easily accessible like WoW or something. They have just under a million backers at the moment. You're looking at maybe half that online at any one time. That's assuming the game can even handle that.

If he wants to sperg out on details I wish he'd just make a new SS13 and then call it a day. At least then there'd be a reason for space beverage dispensers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Can't wait to be loading up my space truck with my space forklift so I can head out to make the big space bucks. Laughing all the way to the bank.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

"You have been put on probation until 2025-10-09 02:28. You can no longer post on the community forums and public chat channels.

You have been placed on probation indefinitely for multiple violations of forum rules 3, 9, and 11, in particular posting so as to get a rise out of others in a way not so good as you'd think. Note that this will not affect your access to the game itself."

Welp.

Look at it this way, at least when you can post on the forums again the game might be out.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

1stGear posted:

I don't think the fall of Star Citizen will have that much of an impact on the industry as a whole. Kickstarter is already passed it's heyday and can point to successful mega funds like Pillars of Eternity as justification for crowd funding. The space sim has Elite: Dangerous quietly trucking along proving the genre is still viable. Hell, even the great man theory nerds are so obsessed with is fairly insulated. Once it all goes to pieces, I suspect there will be a lot more people saying "Well heck, Roberts wasn't even in the industry anymore! He doesn't count therefore Tim Schaefer/Hideo Kojima/Chris Avellone/Sid Meier are all still the mark of a quality game!"

I got Pillars of Eternity for 20 dollars. It was a great game that was kickstarted, made, and I played it to completion in the time it took CIG to make a spaceship arena fighter and a hanger. In that time Harebrained Schemes have come out with 3 kickstarted Shadowrun games that are all great in their own right. You could back their battletech kickstarter today and I guarantee it'll be out before anything significant materializes from Star Citizen. Hell, inXile is set to launch Tides of Numenera at the end of the year, their second kickstarted title, along with the directors cut of Wasteland 2. This won't hurt crowdfunding. It'll just hurt idiots with too much money to buy spaceships.

But people will say the delays are justified because those games don't have realistic space toilets.

Ohmygodsquad fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 10, 2015

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

Agrajag posted:

YOURE UPGRADING A loving JPG

Hey it says it'll upgrade my non-existent ship into a higher end flyable ship. Seems like a good deal.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

quote:

Y'know, sometimes I just wanna reach through my monitor and slap people for the absolute retarded bullshit they spew forth.

"Show, don't tell". Show what? The game isn't done. They have no cutscenes done. They have nothing to show. You're literally bitching because they put together this little trailer for SQ42 instead of handing you the full and completed and polished cutscene from the game. This is why CIG has hidden more and more over the years. Because no matter what they show people like you can never grasp the simple concept that -IT IS NOT loving DONE-.

Off the RSI forums on a thread criticizing Gary Oldman's "rousing" speech. I dunno, I'd expect them to put at least as much effort as any company would at E3 for their own loving convention and maybe finish a two minute cutscene.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
There's a ship in this screenshot somewhere.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Introducing the cockpit of the newest jpg from RSI with fully functional pianocomp battle bridge.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
People seem really stoked about the super realistic FPS in their super realistic space game. There's a lot of reddit threads about juking and having a crazy amount of options besides just going prone or crouching. I feel like the game is pushing realism at the expense of any kind of fun. But I guess that's what happens when you're trying to make an alternative life for someone and not a videogame. If it comes out it sounds like its going to be a snoozefest but at least I can step away from the bridge of my space ship and take a space piss and chill out with some space coffee.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Has anyone addressed the fact that they have a system called grabby hands?

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Bluestreak can't read the forums at work but he was nice enough to link the pic.

I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

quote:

Oh... Well gently caress him then. Derek Smart is a dick.
In other news I backed this game years ago. A few months afterward, my kitten contracted something called FIP. I spent over $1000 trying to keep her alive because I refused to believe it was terminal. I needed all the money I could get to try to get her expensive medicine. I asked these guys for a refund. They gave it to me and wished me best of luck. She ended up passing away and now I have no ship with unlimited insurance anymore. Nothing but regrets. The only time I've dealt with Roberts, they treated me with respect while I panicked over my dying cat. Hope to be a backer again some day and get my pelican looking thing back.

I regret losing my spaceships to try and save my dying cat.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
But the success of this game will make or break PC gaming. I'm surprised we lasted this long without Chris Roberts. Steam's just a fad.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
CR stopped with the feature creep last year get with the program. PS CR can you add minigames for my flying strip club?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/290015/club-owner-profession

I feel like these people missed out on MMO's after UO and Everquest and are still in the 12-year-old mindset that anything is possible and being able to do everything you want in a game is inherently fun.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

Dunite posted:

Seeing how off base this game has gotten almost seems like CIG is trying to make a AAA Space Station 13.

Now there's something I'd kickstart.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
You actually watch Christ Robert's 10 hours of cutscenes on the screen on the back of the seat in front of you as you're shuttled on a guided tour of his hand crafted universe. Can't risk letting players actually play.

PS They actually think CR is going to handcraft all the planets.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

Windshield wipers will be coming out in 2 weeks.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

They finally figured out how to make something fun.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

OWLS! posted:

I would play the *gently caress* out of this.

Quick, somebody whip up a UT4 demo of Twisted Metal IN SPACE.

Eurotruck simulator in space. With literal trucks.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

quote:

I actually missed it - the only game I played that looked like it was a game called MYST way back when (puzzle picture game kind of back in late 80's or early 90's. The song was really cool and seemed to be so apt to situations I found myself in :)

In reference to Portal. IE I haven't played a video game in two decades.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Honestly that video of the dude free floating into the cabin of his spinning spaceship looked pretty drat cool. They can do poo poo like that but just keep showing us the dullest fps I've ever seen.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zvHrcgJT6xN4.kkNGMQOIoXrA

Hey guys, lets put where we live on an internet map and associate our usernames with it. That's probably not a terrible idea.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Eh, I dunno if I'd call it official. Somebody found it by digging around in :filez:. Although I'd appreciate a nice video of someone bravely dicking around in their buggy in space set to it.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Can somebody build the star citizen ships in KSP so these poor people can play their space game?

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

Humphrey Vasel posted:

So when are they putting this up on steam greenlight?

I'd like to think if they were to put it up on steam early access with what they have functioning at the moment user reviews would rip them to shreds.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
I honestly hope she's still trolling and immediately dumps them on the grey market.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

I'm the cat on the phone.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
r/gonemild/I spent most o(F) the day reading about the video game "star citizen" instead of being productive, punish me.

Seems legit. Chris Roberts is the bad boy of gaming and keeps missing deadlines because he just doesn't give a drat. So hot.

Ohmygodsquad fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 17, 2015

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Can you use your mobiglas (Haha wtf) to email dick pics in game? I want to be able to do the same things I can do in real life.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Read between the tits guys, its obvious.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
I would honestly back the game if they scrapped all the ships and just made it about super customizable space buggies that can fly in an expansive, beautiful universe. They can even leave the other ships in. Gotta have something to run into and ramp over in those buggies.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Well c'mon Betty. Show us all those hot spaceship jpegs.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

Reason is a fickle mistress. Fickle like BettysBigTits.

And yes, Star Citizen is in fact not a Ponzi scheme. At least in Ponzi schemes some people get a return on investment.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

Jimb posted:

Ok, I've been following this shitshow for awhile but I need to know, who the gently caress is Derek smart? It's entertaining to watch but you guys seem to have known about him from before?

He's the Sisko. The Emissary.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

quote:

A team mate and I are in the middle of an FPS fight. I tell him I am reloading. My first-person reloading animation and the third person one are out of sync. He sees me finish reloading and assumes I am ready to continue fighting, even though, in reality, my first person reload is still going. He doesn't know this and reloads/turns in another direction and leaves both of us defenseless as an opponent comes around the corners and kills us both. Timing, be it on the bridge of a ship, in an FPS scenario, or doing delicate maneuvering in zero-g, matters a lot for a complex game such as this. That is an example of why it can matter to gameplay.

From a dumb reddit thread about their insistence on having the same animations in first and third person view. Does anyone actually play an FPS like this guy apparently thinks he will? I don't think I've ever told someone I'm reloading in a single game in my entire life. I just do it. Everyone just does it.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

Crobor

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Arrested Development, the Chris Roberts story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lmao. well maybe if you spent less time looking at your buddy's mocap hand crafted reload animation and spent more time watching the corner, that guy wouldn't have come and killed both of you.

also im pretty sure that reloading and the animations are synced anyways. at least I never saw anyone start firing before their reload animation was done in FPS games.

They apparently think that without using one set of animations in both first and third person keeping them in sync is impossible, barring those hundreds of other inferior non-CR FPS's out there that work perfectly fine with having the animations seperate.

Oh yeah, did you guys know Chris Roberts invented GTA 3?

quote:

CR created a game that was Grand Theft Auto 3 before GTA 3 was made by a long while.

quote:

" Action on foot and behind the wheel. “Loose Cannon” seamlessly blends realistic driving physics with fast-paced action on foot. When players choose to leave their vehicles (or are forced out), they may fight on foot, steal other cars, repair their vehicles or even pursue an escaped fugitive into an enemy compound."

quote:

Yep, planned game that was canceled.

Clearly this man can do no wrong.

• Locked thread