Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Awesome, there's a lot more of this game to laugh at and I'm sure as hell not going to play it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
You know we hear all this poo poo about Sin Toxin being deadly, but our party has been exposed quite a few times and now they'd might as well be mainlining it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It's pretty great how easy it is to gently caress up enemies with time magic and similar effects in this game. It's especially helpful for some of the optional fights, but even just being able to buy some time against annoying enemies with a quick delay attack is a godsend.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Air is lava! posted:

Conversely some perfectly nice and well meaning statements can be considered quite rude. :(

Than again, I guess that can be considered a threat.

"Nice grandma you have there, it would be a real shame if something were to happen to her," gets a 71.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kheldarn posted:

Oui dyga dryd pylg nekrd huf!

You're absolutely wrong.

Leave it to the Internet to find a person into candy corn.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kheldarn posted:

My whole family says you're wrong.

This doesn't really help your case, just makes your family seem worse.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

If it's true that the game is going to borrow elements from that weird play he made, yes that's what's going to happen.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Dark Id posted:

You know what, I'm a bit too hard on FFX's asian stunt double CGI cutscenes. It could be much worse...

Edit: I'm going to drink some booze and stream that lovely looking thing later tonight if you're into that thing.

I don't even know what this is

ok

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
One thing I do like a lot about FFX is that boss battles are often about using the toolset you're given to bring the enemy down to your level and then punish them. I get really bored with JRPG fights which are all about keeping your party healed and buffed while you just wail on a wall of flesh. A lot of bosses in FFX will just stomp you unless you figure out how to cripple them.

That said, I can think of a few fights that remain completely tedious even after you learn the trick to them and they make me want to slam my head against a wall.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
What must have hosed a few people over was relying on Rikku for healing in this fight, and then her getting petrified and maybe even shattered. I think the second or third time I played this game, I just hadn't happened to give anyone else Use and oops, there goes my healing.

It's a solid idea to give everyone Use because it's so flexible; even if you don't find yourself using grenades and poo poo, an Al Bhed potion can save you two turns of white magic.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So do you think Yevon purpose-built kung-fu bots that kick you into the horizon, or did they just find them in some ruins and go "Hm, I think we can make use of these."

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Out of all the lovely cloisters in this game (all of them) this is definitely the worst one

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Ghost Kid would like Homestar Runner, therefore it must be TROGDOR!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This is probably my favorite Bahamut, unless I'm forgetting one.

It's a cocky son of a bitch, too; if you didn't catch it from the pictures, he does this little move at the end where he folds his arms and glares over his shoulder, it owns.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
My guide told me that the best strategy was to use the goddamn gates, I don't think I realized I could wreck this boss with phoenix downs until my third playthrough.

loving guidebooks, man, I'm glad we're done with that poo poo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Part of me was expecting to hear Bonetrousle edited in

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Young Auron is such a tool, I love it.

I always imagined Tidus laughing his rear end off watching those, just waiting for a chance to bring it up next time Auron treats him like poo poo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It almost feels like Defender X is a stand-in for another Seymour fight they didn't feel like programming.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Blue Mage characters, always more trouble than they're worth.

Well, Quina was alright I guess, but only because they straight up ate things to gain their power.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Speedball posted:

At least he has the ability to just SUCK the Blue Magic out of the enemy instead of waiting to be hit by their attacks. (And for Quina, s/he can eat enemies so that's more straightforward too).

Kimahri is at the severe disadvantage of blue magic being even more useless than usual in FFX.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Man, gently caress this bossfight.

Also I know "evil handsome guy fucks with the party repeatedly" is a Final Fantasy tradition at this point but Seymour is just awful. His motivation is crazy, and not in that classic "genocidal maniac" way, more like the "obsessive creep who won't take the hint" way. He literally just committed genocide and it doesn't feel that menacing.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I think the most damning thing about Seymour, at least to me, is that I always have to be reminded that his whole deal is that he wants to be Sin. I'm not entirely sure why I forget about it: maybe it's that his creeping on Yuna is what stands out more, maybe it's that the whole idea is kind of stupid and weird, or maybe it's just because it doesn't mean goddamn anything to the plot. It's never even implied that this bonkers plan is viable, and the consequences of death in Spira being fuzzy doesn't help matters.

I mean, considering Seymour can turn dead people into armor and poo poo, I think what he's doing now is a lot more gruesome than if he were a whale of mass destruction.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

TheKingofSprings posted:

If he became Sin it'd be very viable, and Seymour almost certainly knows how to become Sin.

Yeah, but he's just assuming as a given that you can even exert much control over yourself as Sin. I'm gonna assume Jecht isn't killing everyone to pass the time. If it's the power to kill indiscriminately that he wants, he just committed genocide effortlessly.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I like that Jecht hated these dumbass cloisters, too.

God this one must have made him furious.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This boss is loving bullshit, man.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Besides the obvious mega-death troll (which is a cool gimmick actually), I hate how this boss makes you feel like you're locked in a pattern. I guess you aren't actually in one until the final round, but you still feel like it since you can't effectively buff your party, you constantly have to manage debuffs, and there aren't many ways to break out of the cycle without foresight and probably spending more time than it would take to just go and do the boss.

Gimmick bosses are one thing, but I don't think many people like the feeling of having to stay at a boss's pace in order to get through a fight.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

CheeseThief posted:

Agnes

I've been waiting a long time for a Simpsons punchline.

I had a couple ideas I was mulling over but yeah, this will do.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 29, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Dark Id posted:

I had a big dumb week at home and needed a brief FFX vacation. We'll get back to it... soonish!

On the bright side, you're so close to an eternal FFX vacation.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Dude, didn't you learn anything? Death is no escape where FFX is concerned. That's the entire point.

Even Scooby Doo cannot save us.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Why do you think I keep posting

No joke though sometimes I think of Shaggy saying your goddamn username and just start giggling and I can't loving explain it to anyone because it's insane.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah. It's always Shaggy's voice isn't it? Not Velma's.

I think it's the way Shaggy would say it. END ME, SCOOOOoOOOoooooOOB!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I like Onion Knight's shield. :3:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Onmi posted:

And the other time they're haughty racist fucks.

They're actually still oppressed as hell and this is a weird view to take on the whole situation.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Onmi posted:

You can be oppressed and still be Xenophobic and obsessed with your own supremacy. Those aren't mutually exclusive positions. The Imperium of Man in 40k is Oppressed in the sense that the forces of Chaos are coming to kill them all not to mention the other horrors of the galaxy that is far too cruel for mortals to comprehend, but they're still racist xenophobes.

Okay, but they're clearly more analogous to a culture in diaspora. They occupy a social place similar to the Romani.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Gonna have to go with Ozzie, Slash, and Flea.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Brainamp posted:

Yes. Fanfics.

Really the only times I can think of using them is getting everyone onto Kimahri's route to get Ultima. Still have no clue why it's on his route of all the characters, but at least it's moderately easy to acquire.

It's probably only there to justify the existence of Kimahri's path.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

idonotlikepeas posted:

This is why you just keep 100% of the Aurochs on your team, get good, and win with them. It isn't even that hard or tedious compared to some of the horrible bullshit minigames in FF10, it just takes longer than those games because blitzball matches take a while. (Which is why you really want to spread it around across your game rather than pushing it all to the end.)

Telling someone to get good at blitzball should be bannable, imo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Beefstew posted:

I'm just going to leave this here since I think any Taro Yoko related stuff is welcome in a TDI thread:

Hell, same.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The next update will just be the first update again. Spira has TDI forever, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Congrats on finally finishing this up, and the brief overview of FFX-2. Never did quite get into that one, even though the gameplay was interesting enough.

Can't wait to see what you do next, assuming you get the itch before Nier 2 is out.

• Locked thread