Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Unsent is a stupid lazy writing cheat and I really wish someone had interrupted Mika's grand speech with "dude shut up about death you should be dead except you decided not to be"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GrizzlyCow posted:

Unsent is just a fancy term for ghost. From all the things you could take umbrage with this stupid section of the game, the fact that the story includes spirits is an odd one.

N-no not really

also uhh kindly leave Auron's drinking problem out of this

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think it's from the Ultimania, which are generally treated as canon.

I dunno man, if the devs really thought that information was so important you'd think they'd actually put it in the game, not in some dumb supplementary artbook

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's almost as if they were focusing on making the game playable instead of aping Kojima's hours of cutscenes!

E: "if it's not in the game and not explicitly told to me, it's not canon :reject:" is kinduva bad way to play videogames

Lol calm down there buddy, sorry for insulting your favorite game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

He's not wrong though. It's fairly common for a writer to define more of their setting than is actually detailed in the story, simply for their own purposes of internal consistency. Not everything needs to be told to the player character.

This would be more tenable if Spira were a more well-defined and constructed setting outside of the heavy-handed doom imagery. As (unfairly) maligned as X-2 often is, it does a decent job in this regard (while suffering the same problems in others) but that's saying too much

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Onmi posted:

Except for all those people who thinks the kiss is a metaphor for them boning.

That's not a weird observation to make at all though?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
In a similar sense to designers figuring out how to explain a game mechanic without tutorials, more game writers should think about how to convey information without exposition

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tae posted:

Then you get FF13

pages and pages of data logs are functionally identical as a bad writing tool

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

You could counter with Tidus is only 16 or 17 and just had his civilization wiped out but he seemed to have gotten over that remarkably fast.

Did Tidus ever actually address that he wasn't just forcibly removed from his lifelong home, but also witnessed it getting blown the gently caress up?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rose Spirit posted:

Wait, these Dark Aeons people keep complaining about are actually part of the game proper? Not endgame/NG+/sidequest poo poo?? drat.

Some...?

They're definitely meant to be endgame sidequests but the placement of a couple is just plain rude

also the calm lands are dumb and bad

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's...not that bad...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
you'd think someone would encourage non-summoners to learn how to send, it seems kind of important for day-to-day functioning in spira

then again considering all the unsent putzing around i guess not

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fedule posted:

For real the Trophies they added to the HD remake are nuts. Chiefly;

Fill in the entire sphere grid.

Seriously. The entire sphere grid. Even the empty nodes. Gotta fill every node, then activate every node.

I don't think it really dawned on me how badly designed the sphere grid is, purely from a UX perspective, until whatever facet of my insanity it was compelled me to Platinum this game.

isn't this required to beat the bonus bosses anyway tho

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

OminousEdge posted:

Filling the enitre Spheregrid really isn't all that hard. I honestly have no idea why people seem so fearful of such a prospect. Hell, I did it for fun back when the game was on the PS2 just to turn all my characters basically into gods. Even Kimahri.

nobody thinks it's hard, just an ungodly amount of tedium for something that isn't really at all worth it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sordas Volantyr posted:

If you put far, far too much effort into it, you can whup Yiazmat in 8 minutes. (IZJS has built-in superspeed and breaks the damage cap, if you were wondering.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgC398Tn9B0

ffxii had good music

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

All superbosses in JRPGs are universally poo poo. :colbert:

vigoro is good

Who What Now posted:

I've never beaten a super boss because I'm not a lonely virgin who's never even touched a real boob before.

lol check the nerd who's never done any multitasking

Looper fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 12, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Does Culex count as a JRPG Superboss?

yeah, the mario rpgs tend toward the easy side but their bonus bosses are generally pretty good too

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That's why Yunalesca's still around, Kaiju.

The weird thing is that Lulu's Ultimania information states that part of her desire to accompany Yuna on a pilgrimage is to actually finish one that goes past the Calm Lands, for herself and her Summoner.

So, it's kind of weird, but even though Yuna's going to die, Lulu wants to complete the pilgrimage just so she can say that she did. Which sounds really awful, when you think about it.

Lulu's a bad character

So is Seymour

this game would probably be much better without either of them

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
they should've combined lulu and kimahri's characters, imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
woah now hold up, it's a wonderful life is like the only good christmas movie

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

I mean, I guess, but I don't recall the game framing it like that. Maybe it does and I've just forgotten.

nah, both tidus and the game spend very little time ruminating on his zanarkand. like yeah cognitively you know this means the deaths of so many people, but emotionally it's just eh oh well. most people's strongest memory of nu zanarkand is probably a bad metal song

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SarahSyna posted:

I find it interesting that while Real Zanarkand was summoner-based, Tidus didn't know poo poo about summoners and Dream Zanarkand is all machina-ey instead. I'm wondering if the fayth maybe 'retconned' that or something, and if so, why. It makes Dream Zanarkand more like Bevelle probably was, so... maybe that's part of it?

this twist is kinda dumb

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
none of the bosses in this game are memorable besides seymour and yunalesca and sin

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Also to be fair, most bosses aren't memorable in 99% of games. A lot of them are there just to provide a fight with more challenge.

uh that's not really true at all i think?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
"Listen to my story. This may be our last chance." is a really cool line that hooks you into the narrative right from the beginning. The presentation and style of this scene and the introduction are top notch, it's a shame none of it actually flows together very well, like development had already started before anyone could edit the script

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
mmm yes, seymour's sympathetic backstory

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Captain Fargle posted:

Nah. 10's plot is really good. It's full of bad minigames, Seymour's loving hair and moments of really awkward voice direction but the plot itself is a drat good one.

i have a complaint about something a few updates from now that i honestly want someone to passionately defend because it seems to me like hella weak writing

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Let me try: you're a huge baby because you just didn't get the subtlety of the scene/story that you would have gotten if you were cooler and bought this big rear end Ultimania book explaining the ins and out of everything.

hold your horses we're not there yet!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this scene is the culmination of yuna's pilgrimage, the climax, auron finally giving a gently caress with a nice speech

eh, any satisfaction is just superficial, this still doesn't really feel earned

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also lol "don't worry guys i'll think of something...!! for sure!" sounds more like the writers than the characters at this point

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tempest_56 posted:

Hold on, shouldn't this be 2? Young Auron totally gave a gently caress, too.

he's giving one gently caress about the same idea

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Onmi posted:

So just clarifying something, It's not so much that Sin takes the Final Aeon, Sin would take ANY Aeon. The reason will become clearer, but even if you paid Yojimbo to Zanmato Sin, Yojimbo would just be the next Sin. Double clarification, the thing killing the summoner is the Aeon being severed from their control, apparently that poo poo is really lethal.

I can actually imagine Young Auron's response to this, Jecht, his friend turned into the Final Aeon, and Braska who he's been trying to save as they got closer and closer to Zanarkand, take Sin down, it's over... and then Jecht starts mutating into Sin or what have you, and Braska just drops. And Auron realizes that he didn't just walk his friend to his death, he didn't do anything, Braska's dream was never going to come true, it was literally all for nothing.

Also, Yunalesca answers the question from earlier in the thread on a Summoner who did the Final Summoning coming back as an Unsent, Yes. They could. But it wouldn't matter, not just because the Final Aeon was now Sin either, but could you even maintain the will necessary to not pass on? Your last moments were realizing that you achieved nothing. At all. Every drop of sweat or ounce of blood and everything you gave... and all you've done is perpetuate a monster that will kill everyone. Because in that moment you know Sin isn't a "Punishment" for not repenting enough. And then you're dead.

You know, the whole story really reminds me of the typical "Sacrifice a maiden to the Dragon so it doesn't kill us all" tales. Except in this case it's the summoner. In all those tales, ultimately the sacrifice thinks it's worth it for a bit of peace, and you'll have your Aurons who reject the cycle and will try to slay the Dragon, but those attempts all fail, at least until the hero arrives. FFX really has a simple plot hook, a pretty ancient one too, yet I've never thought about it like that until now.

it'd be nice if this scene actually lent any gravity to this revelation, maybe with some dramatic silence or better dialogue spacing, but that would take a competent director

and man what's with those fuckin crossfades and weird staticy cuts, c'mon

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Glazius posted:

And the Yevonites are led by corpses. I don't see the philosophical problem, here.

all the sermons and philosophy about death kinda ring a bit hollow when it's all from people who couldn't accept their own

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this whole sequence is stupid, whether you factor in the sidequests or not

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

might be wrong posted:

Can someone try to explain the whole 'Tidus is a dream of the fayth' thing? That's where the plot completely loses me. Jecht/Sin is plainly real, how can his kid not be? :psyduck:

it's just bad foreshadowing

might be wrong posted:

Haha, alright that makes a lot more sense.

I had the weird experience of only playing X-2 as a kid, I knew almost nothing about the plot of FFX until this thread. It's been interesting to say the least.

as much as i dislike ffx, i'm glad it exists and resulted in x-2

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Burger Flipper posted:

I originally did it on the PS2, and my computer isn't good enough to run PCSX2 and KH. I can run some stuff with it, but not a lot.

Unfortunately my copy of KH 1.5 is gone, so I can't do it again. Yeah, I know that makes it sound even more fake, and I understand why. Though once I find it I will do it again, just to get a screenshot and give you proof. I don't remember the exact amount of time, though it does get sped up a tiny bit with the EXP boost skills you get as you level up. There's also Tech Boost skills, because you're mostly using Tech EXP by knocking his blitzball away without hitting him. I remember it was... a long loving time. And no, I didn't do it in anything near one sitting.

why?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Burger Flipper posted:

Because I could. And can. And will again. Because I'm stupid.

i never said you were stupid!

but have you ever played a little game called undertale

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
if anyone would like to filibuster, now is the time

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Personally, I think if people are going to make THIS much of a stink about it, Id should just stick it to all the whiners and go with the default name.

what are you talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
pick mom because it's trying to be a joke instead of just a reference

• Locked thread