Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Time to catch up from the Before Time, in the Long Long Ago.

It's back baby :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Laughing scene gets a lot of undeserved flak because it's full impact isn't felt until Tidus figures out what a gigantic idiot he's been. Plus it happens pretty early in the game before there have been enough subtle hints for the Player to get that something's off.
So you're left with an awkward laughing scene that colors your perception of the VA quality early on (especially when one of them's Yuna who definitely has problems.)

Who What Now posted:

That's not to say the game's voice acting isn't without it's faults, because it has many, but I just don't see how people can say that it's really so awful, especially considering it's time.

Because while it's Square's first foray into a full VA game, VA in games had been around awhile at that point and Square made some basic mistakes that they really shouldn't have, even at the time.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Geostomp posted:

He's the only one in this game to consistently have a clue. I just assume he was waiting to see how long it'd take for his teammates to put 2 and 2 together about Seymore being evil.
It helps that he's done all of this before.

Turns out a successful Summoner's Pilgrimage has you doing all sorts of things that don't make the history books.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tae posted:

I think Seymour is a good subplot because he's a direct result of Yevon teachings and the world culture, and the game needs a direct reminder that there's consequences to such absurd religious teachings and devotion if you go at it long enough. Not everyone is super loyal blind faithful like Wakka or the crusaders.

Agreed. Seymour definitely isn't shoehorned in, he's the antagonist that represents the Yevon part of the 'what the heck is wrong with Spira?' equation. Well, the one that you beat down anyway.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tae posted:

Considering people still misinterpret scenes in FFX, I'd say it's still too subtle.
With regards to the whole 'hey idiot this is a suicide mission' twist it's incredibly subtle, too much since it's to the detriment of other things (the Laughing Scene as I said before.)
Other than that it uses subtlety well. Operation Mi'hen for example, while everything about it you can suss out no problem there are further ramifications that you won't know about until further down the line. Auron too is a good use of subtlety not only for himself but in the overarching game.

Onmi posted:

FFX on the other hand flat out has a scene where everyone slowly and calmly explains exactly what the themes are and what everyones character is in regard to the overall plot.... I actually think they have at least two of these scenes.
I know I never saw the second one because of Mount Gagazet and the first one doesn't cover everything. VII falls into the 'collective unconsciousness getting it wrong' bit mostly because it's still an early PS1 era jRPG with tons of faults muddling it's intended messages and most of it's iconic scenes being about it's backstory rather than it's themes.
FFX in contrast has one of it's iconic scenes being the whole 'this is what's going on' exposition. Of course it's near the end of the game and being that FFX gets kind of aggressive in it's latter half it wouldn't surprise me that many people have only second hand experience with it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Arnold/Ahnold seems familiar to me (maybe the tipping 40's used it in their LP) so also chocking up a suggestion for Frozone.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Xander77 posted:

Catching a train.
In Soviet Spira, Kimahri suplex others onto train.

Kimahri not know what suplex or train is. Kimahri would learn more from silly Yuna friend, but Kimahri already have to forget stupid laughing attack once.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Pretty sure the Guado were dicks and hit the reset button on the puzzle there. I mean, on top of everything else.
Auron probably would have taken that sphere along. If he cared enough about it. I mean, you've got dangly-arm elves up in arms and willing to turn the dominant religion of the land against you? Pfft, stroll in the park for Auron.

Mazed posted:

Oh well. The music was good, the combat was fun, and the enemy designs were gratifyingly nonsensical, from Designer Jeans Behemoth to Airplane Moai Pope-bot.
Airplane Latin Choir Moai Pope-bot. I firmly believe his heads are in fact singing his boss battle theme :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the latter, smashing it out of spite. I don't remember if you ever find out one way or the other. I really should dig my copy out and play along again.

IIRC it's only in X-2 that you get a hint about it from the man himself that could suggest the former. But it's not a very strong hint considering that he's sorta-leader of a sorta-dying race at that point since it's pretty much just a 'yeah I was pretty dumb and the reason we got here today but GUADO PRIDE' spiel.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For some reason I cant help but now picture the Al Bhed as a single family of drunken rednecks that keep popping up.

"Rikku y'all get away from that there summ'ner, we's gonna grab her and git! :clint:"
I keep getting flashbacks to Resident Evil Code Veronica.

I mean, it IS a Dark Id thread.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Yeah it took me awhile before the whole 'you're on sin' thing clicked, especially since I didn't get to the bonus dungeon.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Still not gonna ask how he made it into an underground(?) lake.

That's easy, there's gotta be a source for that water which isn't coming from the perpetually frozen stuff above, thus there's an underground waterway feeding the lake.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Alternatively there is no Sin Toxin and people have those symptoms because of other reasons (brain damage due to oxygen starvation, concussions from getting whipped about in water etc.) since it's pretty much dropped by now.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It's an ok film. Just a horrible final fantasy.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Then again, you'd think Tidus would start to get suspicious about the fact Braska isn't around anymore or at least ask Auron about it.

To me it seems like Auron's presence causes him to assume that Braska died in battle (that's what I thought at least) and he's kind of too busy learning everything else for it to really start to settle on him until this moment.

Plus on a subconscious level even Tidus knows that he's not getting any answers he wants out of Auron.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Geostomp posted:

It seems really dumb, overly melodramatic, and "reveals" a secret about as subtle as Sin itself, but I kind of like it showing the last vestiges of Tidus's usual dumb jock identity crumble as he finally starts to comprehend what he's gotten into.

This scene is pretty much the point where Tidus stops being a dumb audience viewpoint and starts being the protagonist of the game. For all the bad points it has, that's a genuinely good one.

While the Laughing scene bungles a fairly simple message via sounding obnoxious.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Who What Now posted:

All one of them.

He just said it was imposhibibibible. Everyone who thought to further question him were so taken aback by that utterance that he had time to slowly abscond in the shoopuf.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If I'm not mistaken, Yuna says something to the effect of "I won't be able to do ___ after I beat Sin" while they were at the Mi'ihen Highroad. There was also the really strained silence on the Mooflow when Tidus suggests everyone coming back after they beat Sin. Rikku's snowmobile ride also has her mention that the Final Summoning "takes a lot out of you".

I'm probably forgetting some other foreshadowing.

Pretty much every time Tidus mentions something about the future of the group post-Sin beatup is foreshadowing to this reveal and those are most of the big moments.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Wakka was trying to lighten the mood a bit but uh, he's way out of his element. Things happening too fast for him to adapt to after a life of being a staunch Yevonite.

Yeah it's awkward as heck but like the laughing scene that awkwardness is intentional.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

bman in 2288 posted:

Well, considering Platinum's behind the gameplay helm, perhaps it'll be the most playable entree into the Drakengard universe yet.

I mean, I still expect to die a little inside, considering it's a NiER title. But it'll play well. Maybe.

Waitaminute. It's a Platinum game, with Taro Yoko at the helm, set as a sequel to NIER.

Prepare to sacrifice your Witch Times, your Ukemis, your Red Hot Kicks for the sake of the Final Ending :smithicide:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Auron didn't get out daded here he was just inquiring on what Cid's plan is.

Cid has no idea what he's up against, especially since it seems Yuna's still going through with this marriage thing (probably not quite so willingly this time.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, even before that revelation he was pretty disgusted or at least unsettled by the Home massacre.

Not to mention his whole 'that's not something a Meister should say' bit. Wakka's pretty well characterized as a dude from podunk nowhere who's worldview is forced to change itself (for the better.)

It's also a good window into how messed up Yevon actually is since Wakka is sort of our 'devote everyman' representative.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

berryjon posted:

There is a concept in literature called the "Deuterologist", which generally has the story being told from the viewpoint of someone who would normally be a secondary character, or even a primary character who is not the focus of the overall plot. Tidus is one, as is Vaan from 12. It is hard to do well.
As elaborated, what we're seeing so far is Tidus' story (I mean, he even said so in the intro campfire scene) so he's not a deuterologist. He could be one but then he starts acting like a protagonist and welp.

Vaan isn't a very good one because he ends up falling into the role by failing to be the Luke Skywalker (on account of having little plot relevance once the whole Basch issue is dealt with and Penelo is rescued) of the 'Biggs & Wedge weren't enough so we finally made a whole game to show our love of Star Wars' game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except that it's Tidus' story about Yuna. Nothing we've seen or done has been by his initiative (save maybe stopping the kidnapping attempts, and nothing there actually requires it be Tidus at the lead), all the major story events have been focused on Yuna and her choices. Tidus only exists as a player surrogate to have stuff explained to them, all of which are things that can be picked up by inference or just waved off as her being some back-water summoner out in the world for the first time (even the Fayth only need explanation because we're not visiting them in-person like Yuna is). The only time Tidus is actually central to the story is the prologue and fighting Sin, which doesn't exactly happen all that often and in any other game would be a relationship delegated to a secondary party member.

That's true for everything we've seen. I'd say we're only halfway through the game at this point though (maybe 2-3rds) so there's a lot more to see.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Bevelle is a pretty big well-to-do place that's situated next to the water and yet doesn't look like it's been dunked on by Sin. Then again those sluices might have something to do with damage-control.

Or... I just realized something incredibly subtle that's related to a reveal down the line :stare:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Except they'd need to get the Dream Team together again to do so and they're kind of all on other projects/have already made Chrono Trigger so they're just going to mess it up.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

McDragon posted:

I appreciate the whole using an Aeon for something other than fighting here. Yuna's lucky nobody else in the area was using Valefor at the time though, I don't think it would have gone well trying to land a big fire bear or a horse down there. I guess Nora could make a parachute out of her sheet thingy.
Every summoner has their own version of the summons. It's game engine limitations that prevent them from displaying two in the same battle here, but really they could technically do Operation Mi'Hen, Bahamut Edition if they wanted. (Naturally that would require lots of summoners being able to summon him.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

GrizzlyCow posted:

Wow, this whole section of the game is worse written than I remembered. I guess none of the writers or editors could be bothered to smooth over some of the nonsense.
It's more gameplay and story segregation rearing it's ugly head. If they had surrounded the group with Muai Thai-bots it'd match up a bit better.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Even knowing the story of this game, I have to ask why Yevon is going through with this wedding anyway? What's the point?
They're still in it for the whole 'Look at how awesome those two are now that they're married. It's awesome, Guado are awesome treat them awesomely, everyone is awesome! Praise be to Yevon' sub-species integration angle. Anything other than they Seymour can go and do whatever, he's a big Maester now and doesn't need them looking after him.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

For being really big both in terms of being a place and in the background of the world Bevelle is pretty underutilized. Then again it's probably way more boring than Luca.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Gotta burninate the peoples. TROGDOR.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hunter Noventa posted:

Hell, can you imagine after the first time Sin was defeated? They didn't even know it would come back. Then 500 years later BOOM! Sin again. How did they even deal with that at the time?

I imagine the same thing happened whenever Sin shows up normally: lots of death and property destruction.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Calm's getting shorter makes sense in a sort of backwards way. All that praising Yevon receives likely makes him stronger, which makes the Sin cycles speed up.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It's not quite pointless, the wheel and giant wings on this Bahamut are akin to the powered-up whee; & iconography that Asura's Wrath uses to denote people getting crazy power. Which are both references to the Hindu/Buddhist symbols for enlightment/power IIRC.

Point being, that magic wheel ain't just a wheel, it's a symbol of how crazy strong Bahamut is at the get-go.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

Rather than life in this "Spiral" with only false hope to cling to, he thinks that people should truly bow to the power of death.

Actually he just wants to kill everyone to set them free even though that's just finishing the spiral.
Between actually revealing his intentions and killing off Kinoc here he's actually set himself apart from Yevon (rather than simply using them to further his goals.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

UnwiseTrout posted:

Pyreflies?!

Pyreflies son!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

FFVII was pretty guilty of it too. I think there were like two times you got to explore anything in Midgar that wasn't the slums or the Shinra building. One was a very brief scripted sequence and the other was a boss fight.
The Slums are still a part of Midgard and those sections do exist. Compared to Bevelle, Midgard is literally around two-three times larger. Plus you actually get to see a lot of the Shinra building compared to the main Bevelle temple.

Or in other words, Midgard did it right (small playable area with plenty of reference and inference to the sheer scale of Midgard) while Bevelle got it wrong and thus it doesn't feel like a city, just a really hugenourmous temple.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Scintilla posted:

It might be because (FFX-2 Spoilers) Vegnagun is under it and Sin can somehow sense that waking it up would be a bad idea.

No, there's subtle hints in this game itself why Bevelle is the 'largest' city aside from Luca. My original crazy theory was wrong (it's been awhile since I've seen the game post campfire at Zanarkand) but the premise of it still holds: Sin doesn't consider Bevelle a target despite how many machines the clergy hide away. Either because Yevon is right via ontological inertia (there really is a list of No No machina that it adheres to) or because Sin needs Bevelle somehow.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

But yes, I would expect Hope to be whinier than Tidus and almost nothing Hope does is rational. I just don't blame him for it because it makes sense.
Hope gets some whining entitlement due to his situation. He doesn't get to be passive-aggressive about those whines because it prolongs dramatic tension with a climax of 'dang it finally you're actually dealing with this stuff rather than sitting there moping and wangsting about it. Way to no longer be a baby.' That's not a satisfying resolution to how long the 'conflict' is drawn out.

As Fedule said the cast is pretty much focus-tested to be popular and unfortunately Hope's the resident Shinji Ikari, a character I wish Japan would let fade into obscurity already.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

ZiegeDame posted:

Because the guy responsible for that gigantic failure was shitcanned.

Also the dude they put in his place knew exactly what he had to do and did it even though it included a massive apologetic stance to the playerbase.
I'm pretty sure that's a first in the industry for a company to admit 'yeah this is a bad product, thanks for putting up with us, we've gotten our pants off of our heads and please look forward to the new product that addresses your concerns' and actually following through with it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

In game that bits valid however a lot of his popularity is from him being a Maester.

So as such he's more of a 'darling because of affirmative action' than himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Xenoveritas posted:

Nah, you can blame Kingdom Hearts for that. Kingdom Hearts was where they made Cloud being emo canon.
Kingdom Hearts started it, Advent Children cemented it.

If you ignore his KH appearance as a cameo (rightfully) then it's more of the fact that he seems to have taken steps back from how he was during the FFVII endgame. Makes it less of a sequel and more retreading of old ground which is boring.
Him having fantasy cancer can certainly help explain the mopey attitude a bit but it's glossed over too much.

Spirits Within was an alright movie, it just wasn't FF :colbert:

• Locked thread