Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Street Horrrsing posted:

On a long enough timeline, everyone must call out Bisping

who is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Rashad is worse than bader. Rashad could win every second of that fight, then win with a leaping 3 ninjas kick and still be the worst fighter in the history of the division

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

canada jezus posted:

I think i've seen one maybe two of his fights, is he really that boring?

He's had 6 atrociously bad fights that are some of the worst fights of all time (Tito 1, bisping, rampage, Davis, Jones, lil nog) , 2 merely very bad fights that would be one of the worst fights of their respective years (Henderson, Silva), 4 impressive victories over severely overmatched and chinny competition (Forrest, chuck, chael, and tito 2) and one good fight (losing severely to machida). His ufc career is inarguably one of the worst of all time, and I'm very interested if there is anyone else quite so bad

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

manyak posted:

i dont know about that

i mean, somewhat true if there weren't puches, kicks, knees, elbows, or trips from the clinch

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
also strict rules against timidity and a very small region in which to wrestle

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

Someone who knows more about bodies than me, are these complications due to his bad dietary/weight cutting habits or is it surprisingly unfortunate? I know the sorts of poo poo that cause kidney stones but "intestinal blockage" is vague to me.

dehydration can lead to constipation, but so can eating terribly

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
taking down rampage seems a lot less impressive now than it did then, but that was still a cool combo

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Did he ko chuck while we still thought that was a big deal I don't remember where in the order it came.

it was a big deal (chuck had just beat wanderlei in their really good fight), and it earned rashad a shot at actual champion forest griffin

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

also in that fight Rashad really didnt even look good, Chuck was deep into his completely retarded phase . rashad threw that right over and over and was getting clowned but chuck did that thing where hes like hey im winning that means I should stop defending myself and swing wildly

yeah rashad was clearly in love with his overhand right and he never seemed to stop being in love with it ever after that

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
It is insane to describe bj Penn as a fan favourite

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I'm not even interested in seeing bj Penn lose pathetically anymore, but I will forever read his hilarious excuses

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Team takedown rules, Johny rules, making Robbie pull up on johnys arms to defend against the fence was a great strategy similar to what gsp did to bj and it worked really well, bendo stinks

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Possible kickstarter idea: come down to my dojo and say that to my face

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
iirc every single fight on the robbie/rory card was better than dc/gus

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
their output was comparable to magomedov's in volume, and also worse in quality

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
anyways, it seems weird to be impressed by the pace put on by this fat guy when two much fatter guys put on a similarly paced fight where they actually managed to land strikes like a week ago.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

The folks on MMAFighting.com are up in arms about round 3 when honestly DC got dropped and immediately got up and smartly reacted and grabbed the single and worked his way back up to throwing punches. Its hard to put THAT much stock in the knockdown when that was the result.

If Gus kept on the ground and stayed dominant I could see scoring the round for him maybe. But yeah I think one of the better score cards would be 10-9, 9-10, 10-10, 10-9, 10-9 for a DC win with 49-47. Hell I could see that fight being a 48-48 draw on a card.

dc got the high crotch and gus avoided the takedown, which was huge.

also, weighing the last 20 seconds more heavily than the rest of the round is absolute trash garbage. gently caress ray leonard, namaste

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

disagreed. while not as good as these other fights, it came out today that Gus and Cormier hit each other more than Jones and Gus did (setting a new record) and slightly less than Robbie and Hendricks did in their first fight (falling just short of the all-time record). Cormier and Gus beat the poo poo out of each other, there were cool takedowns, a dramatic knockdown by the challenger (I believe the first time DC has been knocked down?), and it was a competitive engaging fight for all 25 minutes. If Cormier had been a longtime champion like Jones was before he fought Gus it would have had the same "holy poo poo" reaction.

it deserves to be included in the list of other classic title fights. Then you can argue which ones are better than others, which it would come in toward the bottom but that's okay.

sorry what record is that?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
nick diaz landed more strikes in 3 rounds than gus and dc in 5 rounds combined

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Seltzer posted:

I don't get why people hate Ryan Bader so much. I figure some of it is because everyone else is doing it, but really he's completely inoffensive and has ok fights. He's not outright bad or annoying.

dude has had 16 fights in the ufc. 9 were bad fights where very little happened. 1 was a terrible tragedy (against vlad). 2 were him getting sparked severely, 1 was him getting subbed by jones, he has three knockouts (2 of which were against chinny as hell fighters and the jardine fight was still depressing in a lot of ways) and then he has the very quick loss against, of course, tito ortiz.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

It's almost like different people have different views on what an ok fight is and what isn't....

I think Bader is ok, I don't understand the hate for him. There are tons of more annoying, or boring, or unlikable fighters, but whatever.

There are plenty of other bad fighters, but not being able to understand why anyone dislikes a bad fighter who has bad fights is baffling

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

TheCool69 posted:

In switching camp news..

Pettis bros have decided to switch up and are now longer a part of Roufusport

http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/22570/pettis-questions-dos-anjos-as-new-anti-doping-policy-kicks-in
Good.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Because they throw about the same number of strikes Ronda does but stretched out over 8-12 rounds.

The Klitschko's are really, impressively good but seeing someone jab their outmatched opponent's face off for 7 rounds before deciding to maybe throw a right hand or two isn't as exciting as seeing someone take out their outmatched opponent in an animated gif timeframe.

For the most part this is true but gsp/koscheck 2 was fantastic

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I feel like I say this every couple of months, but everyone needs to slow down and enjoy where women's MMA is at. Early MMA was not an upper echelon athletic contest, but it was (almost) always funny or crazy. Once the days of TKO to ballpunches or Royce pulling out Kimo's topknot to get a choke or Saku defeating Royce in the 2 hour TEST OF STRENGTH, they were never coming back at that level of exposure again. Women's MMA is giving us an opportunity to relive the time when Ken Shamrock was the most dangerous man alive and Mark Coleman was one of the best through largeness and wrestling. A time when Bas Rutten took the title from Kevin Randleman through the advanced technique of bitch slapping while being humped. Savor these times. When the women's game attains advancement, you will never see dumb freakshow fights like this again. Unless science advances to the point where we can create new genders to brutalize one another in solo combat for our amusement.

you will find that bellator and dream or whatever still exist

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
125 has a lot of very good fighters

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I contend that Mighty Mouse's greatest advantage is the same one that Benson Henderson held: no one has come up with a winning strategy against him because no one is willing to sit down and watch his fights

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Heavyweight is interesting because you have guys like overeem and Barnett who are incredibly skilled and gifted and yet they lose so often

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Dangersim posted:

I don't know if I agree with any of this

I agree with the part of dc being a fake champ

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Surely ronda is the yoshida. Judo, insanely popular, handsome, etc.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

The Hunt one was a perfect example of how people's memories can be weird. I missed that fight, but all I remember people talking about, even here, was how Hunt looked terrible and the ref screwed up. The narrative was never "Miocic looked good" it was "Hunt looked terrible." The narrative of the JDS fight was "man, JDS sure has lost a step" not "man, Miocic made JDS look like he'd lost a step." We're discussing why he doesn't pop up in people's heads when they talk about the current crop of Heavyweights, not a breakdown of his skillset (which is formidable)

hunt looked the same as always. he is highly susceptible to ankle picks and knee taps and trips for the same reason he is basically immune to doubles (pendulous gut). miocic fought a great fight. i mean probably. i stopped watching after he got his first single

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Giving Duke any kind of credit for funky seems wrong to me

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

corillon posted:

Yeah he sounds like a cool/interesting dude who is lousy at being an MMA judge.

he doesn't sound all that interesting really

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Northjayhawk posted:

I'm probably missing some background, and he probably did hit the lottery, but did Ronda's mom explain why her coach was a "bad person" and a "terrible coach", other than the fact that he wanted nothing to do with her for the first few months? Because it seems like that could be adequately explained in the culture of that and many other gyms at that time.

well big edmund (from glendale) has worked with some fighters who got noticeably worse while training under him, and rousey is his only homegrown prospect and she pretty obviously was going to be superstar no matter who she ended up with as a coach

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Sprecherscrow posted:

Who else has he worked with?

manvel (he's gone back to gokur mostly now), travis browne, jake ellenberger (started there before the robie lawler fight)

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
jake ellenberger went from on the cusp of title contention to boring headcase pretty solidly under edmond's tutelage

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

JuanGoat posted:

I'm not super knowledgeable about fight technique, so you could be right in that Ellenberger might look worse now, but if you're going by fight record, that's a terrible metric to quantify the level of coaching Ellenberger's getting. He's 1-3 in his last 4, but he was 2-2 in his last 4 before that. He's also just been fighting more top shelf opponents. I don't think he's gotten significantly worse, I think the division's just passed him by.

actually he beat jake shields, who is objectively much better than robbie lawler

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
that bad article about the bad judge who talks about jeso a lot made me think: remember when nate quarry couldn't cut off the cage against a broken footed kalib starnes who had completely quit, and he landed like 0 strikes and no takedowns in the third and he got like a 10-6 round or whatever

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
iirc starnes actually won the third round based on the unified rules as written

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Trast posted:

Shafir doesn't seem to have a chin so you can't blame him there. Baszler just had the sport pass her by. Duke always looked like a baby giraffe out there so who knows if she'd improve in another camp.

if your fighter has a lovely chin perhaps you should work with them on not eating big shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Trast posted:

Or if you can't take a punch don't be in punch sports?

things are working out fine for arlovski, overeem, jacare, machida, etc.

• Locked thread