Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
is it good ? better ? worse ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Heard it was worse because

-they changed saving or dying or something and it fucks up some of the puzzles or something

-movement is less grid-bound because they switched to modern smooth animations but that also fucks with some puzzles

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I beat the remake on PS4 (I mean, it was free with PS+, so sure, why not), and it seemed just fine to me.

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

is it good ? better ? worse ?

You played it. And touched its penis. Sexually.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

demons. posted:

You played it. And touched its penis. Sexually.
:eyepop:

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

no.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
They have rereleased this game so many drat times just make a new one already

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i didn't like it. i didn't like what they did with the graphics and idk what specifically changed but it didn't feel as good to play

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
alright ty.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Game's still as bullshit hard as it was in the 90's but its still fun, the Sligs are very chatty now as well, loads of idle dialogue.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Judge Tesla posted:

Game's still as bullshit hard as it was in the 90's but its still fun, the Sligs are very chatty now as well, loads of idle dialogue.

that's cool. is there a YouTube video of all the stuff they say.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
It's fun to play but I wish they used hd sprites instead of the 3d models

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I dont think its as good as the original. They hosed up a bunch of cutscenes and the new models dont look good.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
I would've played it but I powered through the original with my fiancee in a single night literally a week before the remake came out so I didn't really feel like replaying it all

I like the janky prerendered spritework of the original too much plus:

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

-movement is less grid-bound because they switched to modern smooth animations but that also fucks with some puzzles

this is such a vital element in positioning yourself for many of the puzzles so I don't think I'd like that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its ok but almost every game on ps+ is a puzzle platformer so i couldnt get into it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Problem with Abe today is it was a quirky platformer that was hard, a butt naked alien running from everything was a novelty then, now, every puzzle platformer has some sort of gimmick or quirk so Abe feels very old hat compared.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Problem with Abe today is it was a quirky platformer that was hard, a butt naked alien running from everything was a novelty then, now, every puzzle platformer has some sort of gimmick or quirk so Abe feels very old hat compared.

Im not concerned about stuff like that. the only thing i wanna know about a game before i play it is whether its good or not :P

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Ill play the original on my phone instead of the remake. i remember playing a little bit of it in a computer store when i was a little kid but ive never played it for real.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

odd-yssey

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

Ill play the original on my phone instead of the remake. i remember playing a little bit of it in a computer store when i was a little kid but ive never played it for real.

the abe games are good but make sure to play oddysee first because going from exoddus to oddysee youll miss out on a lot of convenience mechanics they added (ALL O YA being one of them (youlls ee what i mean in time))

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

It's been sitting in my PS4 library for months thanks to PS+ but I haven't touched it.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Judge Tesla posted:

Yes but at least Abe advocated for terrorism

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean, I really haven't noticed too much of an issue with the movement, honestly. Jumps still feel more or less like they did in the original, in terms of timing, distance differing based on how fast you were moving when you jumped, latching onto ledges above you and such...

Don't recall any issues with quicksaving or checkpointing, either. I mean, I guess it makes the game easier, and some grognards might take issue with that, but it makes some of the more ridiculous stretches of the original more manageable, which is an upside in my book.

To be fair, though, I played it a good year or so after it first came out. I've heard it was a mess at launch. Also haven't played the original in a good while, so I suppose my context for comparison may be off.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

but it makes some of the more ridiculous stretches of the original more manageable

i was going for 99 mudokons and holy poo poo the stockyard escape is loving brutal
if you die at a certain collection of screens you have to do two incredibly tedious secrets, one of them being entirely about waiting 20 seconds for a slig to do his patrol route each time

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I do know they upped the limit in the remake - it's 299 Mudokons now.

I think I got close to 75% or so. Was very thorough in the return to Rupture Farms, but I missed tons of secret Mudokons during the escape segment from the Scrapyards on.

• Locked thread